Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

New Book: Peak Oil: Apocalyptic Environmentalism...

A forum to either submit your own review of a book, video or audio interview, or to post reviews by others.

Re: New Book: Peak Oil: Apocalyptic Environmentalism...

Unread postby Newfie » Wed 20 Jan 2016, 22:05:17

But this isn't antiques, it's more like oxygen. You need it, in the right amount.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Revi » Tue 26 Jan 2016, 09:12:47

I was just using the antiques thing as a metaphor for what's happening. There were lots of antiques available, and cheaply just before they went out of business. I think that's what's happening to our society. Lots of cars, gasoline and stuff available and cheap prior to the big closing. There won't be any place to get any of that stuff when it all closes up.

It's like the Wal Mart closures. All the towns that lost all their businesses when they came in now are without a place to buy groceries and pharmacy items when they go out of business and leave their communities bereft.
Deep in the mud and slime of things, even there, something sings.
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby JimBof » Tue 26 Jan 2016, 19:34:48

Revi wrote:I was just using the antiques thing as a metaphor for what's happening. There were lots of antiques available, and cheaply just before they went out of business. I think that's what's happening to our society. Lots of cars, gasoline and stuff available and cheap prior to the big closing. There won't be any place to get any of that stuff when it all closes up.

It's like the Wal Mart closures. All the towns that lost all their businesses when they came in now are without a place to buy groceries and pharmacy items when they go out of business and leave their communities bereft.

I was talking to an artist Sunday. He used to have 7 galleries selling his paintings.Now he has 3. Half the art galleries in Australia have closed and half the antique stores. They are luxury items bought with excess cash. Less people have spare cash now.
JimBof
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Revi » Sat 30 Jan 2016, 19:44:19

That's for sure. Nobody has any money for anything beyond the necessities. We are making the tough choices now.
I think this is the way the collapse will happen, slowly and like the frog in the boiling pot of water we won't realize it until it's too late.
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Revi » Sun 21 Feb 2016, 19:25:08

If you do have a hankering to get the message out, here is a film we're working on:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/14 ... love-story
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby AdamB » Sun 21 Feb 2016, 19:30:32

Revi wrote:If you do have a hankering to get the message out, here is a film we're working on:

Anything to supplant some of the older ones, can anyone even watch The End of Suburbia anymore without laughing about the entire meme it was attempting to generate? I like the promo for yours, guy in woods, Carharts, wood pile and little cabin in the background.
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Revi » Mon 22 Feb 2016, 12:06:07

Thanks! I think the film will get the idea of peak oil across to people without being too "doomy". I think it could appeal to a wider audience. We just need to get the editing done and get it out there!
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby AdamB » Tue 23 Feb 2016, 17:54:27

Revi wrote:That's for sure. Nobody has any money for anything beyond the necessities.

Like new cars.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/u-s-car-sal ... 1451999939

U.S. consumers continued to shift from cars, including sedans and hatchbacks, to SUVs, crossovers and trucks.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-a ... C620160105

In particular necessities like those trucks, gotta have pickmeup trucks.

Need flowers on Valentines day as well, all time record necessity as well.

https://www.fundivo.com/stats/valentine ... tatistics/

And pet products, absolute necessity for modern Americans, I mean, no one needs a new iphone:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/parmyolson/ ... 43efed5ef0

but our pets, those are important.

http://www.bustle.com/articles/110151-a ... sed-to-see

$60 billion for those pets, I know mine is a necessity, couldn't live without 4 legged friends.

revi wrote: We are making the tough choices now.

Yup....do I get the new car, especially a pickup, and do I shower my pets with custom fit sweaters, or maybe buy a couple dozen roses for the lady, and the new iphone just came out, I mean, what do I do! Tough choices! Texas Roadhouse or Ruth Chris for the wife's birthday! Chili's or Chipotle for lunch tomorrow!

Where to road trip! I mean, I can only drive 8000 miles on my next roadtrip on $250 of gasoline (strict budget here, planning on taking that new iPhone with me), but I could double that if I just kept last years iphone...I mean...TOUGH choice...you betcha!

Revi wrote:I think this is the way the collapse will happen, slowly and like the frog in the boiling pot of water we won't realize it until it's too late.

..and the frog buying new cars and valentines day presents and making sure that more money is spent on one's pets than the gross national product of...Uruguay?

I'm thinking this kind of collapse says more about the GDP of Uruguay and what American's think of their pets than collapse? Oh, and cars, Americans love their cars.
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Revi » Wed 24 Feb 2016, 14:10:48

Great stuff Adam B! I love the stuff we are figuring out! Around here you might not find that many people using some of those services. They are still hooked on cars, however. I swear whenever someone around here finds out that they can get a new truck and not pay anything for a year they will go for it. It's a big part of the culture. Meanwhile we drive around in an electric car. It must seem really strange. It is a little strange. That's why the film might be something that people will be amused at, at least. We are almost half way there now. We have 10 days to go.
Thanks to all who have given! We are on our way now!

Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby ennui2 » Thu 25 Feb 2016, 11:21:49

pstarr wrote:AdamB must not believe in AGW, otherwise he wouldn't be so giddy at the thought of driving 8000 miles to visit each and every the Ruth Chris steakhouses?

It's called hyperbole, something you're an expert at in your own way.
"If the oil price crosses above the Etp maximum oil price curve within the next month, I will leave the forum." --SumYunGai (9/21/2016)
ennui2
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Revi » Thu 25 Feb 2016, 22:28:27

We got funding to make the film! Anything from here on in we'll use for promotion and better music. Thanks! I guess there are still a few people who want to get the message out.
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby onlooker » Thu 25 Feb 2016, 22:47:23

Revi wrote:We got funding to make the film! Anything from here on in we'll use for promotion and better music. Thanks! I guess there are still a few people who want to get the message out.

I think it is safe to say I speak for many on this site, when I say congratulations. Keep fighting the good fight. :)
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Revi » Fri 04 Mar 2016, 14:18:06

Thanks! We are working on editing the 60 hours of film that we took over the past 12 years. It will be a fun movie and will probably be in film festivals this summer.
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Pops » Thu 03 Jan 2019, 13:27:52

Revi wrote:I really think this is a stretch:
“I argue that, for some white male participants, the peak oil movement and similar survivalist phenomena provided one means of reinscribing “traditional” (read: 1950s) gender roles and revitalizing white masculinity. ”

Excerpt From: Matthew Schneider-Mayerson. “Peak Oil.” iBooks. https://itun.es/us/UA-g-.l

I don't know, seems most of the few still posting here are bitter old white men in red caps.
I think he pretty well nailed it.
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Newfie » Thu 03 Jan 2019, 15:39:40

I don’t know, I classify myself as a FOG (Fat Old Guy), but my cap is yellow. Maybe that because I’m full of bile? I prefer to think it’s because of my Dunn disposition!

More seriously I see the political spectrum as pretty well represented.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Revi » Fri 11 Jan 2019, 10:59:01

The peak oil movement is not dead, but it's on life support. Funny how it dwindled. Meanwhile we are actually hitting some resource limits finally. I'm sure some of the trolls are going to jump on this post!
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Fri 11 Jan 2019, 11:10:25

Revi wrote:The peak oil movement is not dead, but it's on life support. Funny how it dwindled. Meanwhile we are actually hitting some resource limits finally. I'm sure some of the trolls are going to jump on this post!

But of course. Anyone with a differing point of view, even one who points out objective facts, is a "troll". :roll:

Speaking of facts, care to name the list of the biggest resource limits we're hitting, and why you think so? For controversial ones, credible citations would be nice.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby Revi » Fri 11 Jan 2019, 12:11:24

Outcast_Searcher wrote:
Revi wrote:The peak oil movement is not dead, but it's on life support. Funny how it dwindled. Meanwhile we are actually hitting some resource limits finally. I'm sure some of the trolls are going to jump on this post!

But of course. Anyone with a differing point of view, even one who points out objective facts, is a "troll". :roll:

Speaking of facts, care to name the list of the biggest resource limits we're hitting, and why you think so? For controversial ones, credible citations would be nice.

Right on cue. Thanks. Here is one:

https://ourfiniteworld.com/2019/01/09/2 ... urbulence/
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

PreviousNext

Return to Book/Media Reviews