Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Netflix Instant Recomendations

A forum to either submit your own review of a book, video or audio interview, or to post reviews by others.

Re: Netflix Instant Recomendations

Unread postby Pops » Fri 09 Jan 2015, 20:37:53

I like watching series TV without the cable:
Deadwood, awesome western, great staging, thick Edwardian dialog with "fuck" approx every third word
The Killing, typical murder mystery whodunit, only seen a few episodes but pretty good
Damages is good too, Glenn Close, Ted Danson; lawyers/backstabing/psycodrama
And of course Mad Men, probably the main reason for the popularity of "Mid-Century Modern" style
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Sixstrings » Fri 09 Jan 2015, 22:00:48

MD wrote:All the staff can view reports.
I might have to warn withnail for making spurious reports and thus wasting our time. :P

Thank you, that's all I'd care about is if when that report button gets hit that it goes to someone that reads the forum and knows everyone.

And I don't mean to call him out and have him run off the forum either, I shouldn't be run off and neither should anyone else, but you just have to accept some times that someone is not going to agree with you and you have to respect differences of opinion. If I bother someone too much, with just how I write, then what I do is I just lay off them because I don't want strangers on the darn internet having high blood pressure or disliking me. It's bad karma.

The people that are fun and informative and a good brain exercise to debate with, are those that do not take it personally and get the "someone is wrong on the internet" syndrome.

What I NEVER do is follow that person on any other topic they talk about, and continue to "bully" with the report button / snide remarkes that are about Russia or whatever in a thread that's not about Russia. If someone wants to fight the war in Ukraine that much, then there's a war over in Ukraine and you can go pick a side and enlist but that ain't me, and if that's anyone else on this forum and they're that attached to the issue then go enlist already or have some detachment about it.

Now, back to tv. Maybe I should turn the computer off and go watch some tv. At least the tv lets me watch other channels, this Russia stuff won't let a person go.
Last edited by Sixstrings on Fri 09 Jan 2015, 22:19:07, edited 2 times in total.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Sixstrings » Fri 09 Jan 2015, 22:15:53

Pops wrote:I like watching series TV without the cable:
Deadwood, awesome western, great staging, thick Edwardian dialog with "fuck" approx every third word

And of course Mad Men, probably the main reason for the popularity of "Mid-Century Modern" style

We have similar tastes there, Deadwood and Mad Men. I love Deadwood, one of my favorite shows. Have you ever seen Carnival, another old HBO series? (available on netflix by mail, kaching endorsement where is my check).

You might like Maran, Pops, give that a try. I'll have a look at Damages.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby radon1 » Fri 09 Jan 2015, 22:34:39

Sixstrings wrote:
I've never seen a Russian movie. Are there any Russian movies like that, like something that may be shown at Cannes or Sundance over here, indie type stuff.

This year's Cannes winner is Russian Leviathan movie, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leviathan_%282014_film%29

Didn't watch it, don't know, there is some political motivation behind the nomination apparently. But it may be good.

Otherwise Russian movies are a disaster, almost nothing worth of attention outside what is called "art-house" genre.

The only good ones that come to mind are The Island by Lungin, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8bcGrQf ... GpWVV-xgvd.

And couple military ones: 9th company, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2YAEbDX ... GpWVV-xgvd or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKOkjbQAsZA.

About Afghanistan, based on real story. Couple tasteless moments, couple "citations" from American movies, but otherwise a good original story. They tried to get it into the Oscar foreign film nomination, but were not let through. Interestingly, the Afghan part was screened in Crimea.

And 72 meters, http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... ters+movie, no decent English subtitle version unfortunately. Touches upon Crimea, among other things.

Then there are good Soviet-time movies, but they are old.
radon1
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Sixstrings » Fri 09 Jan 2015, 23:14:50

radon1 wrote:This year's Cannes winner is Russian Leviathan movie, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leviathan_%282014_film%29

Ok, that's the kind of indie films I watch, that looks good:

A modern reworking of the Book of Job, the film is set on a peninsula by the Barents Sea and tells the story of a man who struggles against a corrupt mayor who wants his piece of land. The film is adjudged the best film of the 45th International Film Festival of India. The producer Alexander Rodnyansky has said: "It deals with some of the most important social issues of contemporary Russia while never becoming an artist's sermon or a public statement, it is a story of love and tragedy experienced by ordinary people".[5]
The film was selected to compete for the Palme d'Or in the main competition section at the 2014 Cannes Film Festival.[6] Zvyagintsev and Negin won the award for Best Screenplay.

For anyone that has netflix, this Leviathan movie has a "save" option so I think that means they will be carrying it in the future at some point.

What I like about foreign films by the way is that besides the fact there are SO MANY good films out there in the world, once you get used to subtitles, you also learn so much about another culture and I just find that interesting.

I'd say half the best movies I've ever seen were foreign. Netflix has been great for this because otherwise being in most of America there is no other way to ever see any of these movies. Youtube has a lot of this too, for free, except when the copyright nazis make them remove it.

Your other suggestions look good, thank you.

Then there are good Soviet-time movies, but they are old.

The only Russian movie I had ever heard of is some silent film epic from the revolution, that's famous in film circles, if I recall.

Thank you for the suggestions. I don't know if I mentioned this in an old good movie thread on this forum, but anyhow this is a good one:

For anyone that thinks all western media has always been russophobe, this movie was out in '02 -- before the decline in relations, when Russia was viewed as a friend -- and it's a favorable / positive portrayal.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby dinopello » Fri 09 Jan 2015, 23:51:22

On streaming I've been putting on a lot of stand-up comedians. You can pretty much see everyone on one of the systems. Bill Burr is who I watched most recently on Netflix - he starts his latest ("You people are all the same") with a doomer rant. Amy Schumer cracks me up. Louis C.K. is relevant but a little depressing.
dinopello
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Sixstrings » Sat 10 Jan 2015, 21:07:27

radon1 wrote:The only good ones that come to mind are The Island by Lungin, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8bcGrQf ... GpWVV-xgvd.

Watched it. Was actually a very good movie.

The opening scene was overly violent, so I was thinking oh here we go my first Russian movie and I bet it's gonna be nothing but super ultra violence and horrible suffering.

But after that, wow, what a NICE movie!

Had a bit of a fantastical vibe to it, like some French movies do, not as much but a bit like Amelie and such.

Acting was solid, all around.

I liked the scenes of the townspeople going to visit the holy man. I liked the religious parts of this, the crazed hermit holy man more in touch with God than his worldly fellow monks.

I liked the scene with the abot of the monastery and the protagonist burning his boots and blanket the bishop gave him. The scene in the snow, with the woman getting exorcised of her demons was good.

It's overall just a very nice movie. Calm, quiet, contemplative, deep, thought-provoking, with a bit of whimsy fantasy. Some larger themes here, about intense grief and how that changes a person. The protagonist is wracked with guilt his whole life over being forced by a nazi to shoot his friend in the war. He never forgives himself, winds up helping others but can't help himself. A message I took from this is just how grief can be turned to doing good things, unintentially, if that make sense.

It's a good movie, it's one of those you walk away from and feel like you got something out of it.

If Russia does not have a film scene, then that is a shame. Russia has stories to tell. It should have a film board or something, like Canada and every other place has. Doesn't even cost a lot of money to make quality indie type, good movies.
Last edited by Sixstrings on Sat 10 Jan 2015, 21:39:41, edited 3 times in total.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby dinopello » Sat 10 Jan 2015, 21:29:13

You probably already know about this but Wolf of Wall Street is on Netflix probably for a limited time. Speaking of Leonardo, Django is still on Netflix.
dinopello
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Sixstrings » Sat 10 Jan 2015, 21:30:33

pstarr wrote:Is there something wrong with the sound on The Island by Lungin?

It seems muted or something.

I have a tivo (endorsement, kaching). So I watched this on my big screen and just turned the volume up all the way and it was loud enough.

Also, just to note if people don't know, you have to hit that cc button on youtube to get the subtitles.

This was a good movie, I looked on the net after and it has 8.2 rating on imdb and 3 out of 4 stars on reviews.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0851577/
Last edited by Sixstrings on Sat 10 Jan 2015, 21:35:07, edited 1 time in total.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Sixstrings » Sat 10 Jan 2015, 21:34:19

dinopello wrote:You probably already know about this but Wolf of Wall Street is on Netflix probably for a limited time. Speaking of Leonardo, Django is still on Netflix.

I saw that on my suggestions..

You know..

I don't think I want to watch banksters being rich and obnoxious. We all like different things, nobody's wrong, I used to like watching stuff that I don't enjoy now.

I generally like these quiet indie films that are well made and thoughtful and good acting. Hm django has 3 stars, I guess I'll throw that on the list thanks dino. (is wolf of wall street actually any good, just as a solid movie? I don't need to watch that just to know about banksters, I already know all about it)
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby dinopello » Sat 10 Jan 2015, 23:39:03

Sixstrings wrote:
dinopello wrote:You probably already know about this but Wolf of Wall Street is on Netflix probably for a limited time. Speaking of Leonardo, Django is still on Netflix.

I saw that on my suggestions..

You know..

I don't think I want to watch banksters being rich and obnoxious.

The best thing about that it is all true, down to the nitty gritty detail. The interviews with the real guy and the FBI agent that nailed him were as crazy as the movie. And there were no banksters in that at all to my memory but I know lots of people that didn't like it either.
dinopello
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Sixstrings » Sun 11 Jan 2015, 00:45:50

pstarr wrote:"Wolf of Wall Street" no banksters, just corrupt stock brokers. Wonderful over-the-top paean to American excess. No one (excepting perhaps Nero and dracula) did it as well. Django is an over-the-top depiction of the evils of slavery. Over-the-top is good on the screen.

I don't know, it's just not grabbing me.

I do like the cnbc show "American Greed," though, these true crime business stories are compelling.

As for Di Caprio -- I can't remember a good movie, with him in it. Maybe "What's Eating Gilbert Grape" early in his career. Titanic. Bleh.. popcorn movie.. but still.. it's big hollywood.

I just do not like Hollywood stuff is all, I'm in that snobby "mad men" "house of cards" / HBO original series / foreign films / sundance demographic.

I like war movies too, sweeping epics, historical.

Hm, the siberia movie you mentioned looks interesting. I'd have to get netflix dvd by mail again to get that.

I think I'll watch radon's linked military flick next. I watched Patton again, recently:

Patton Theatrical Movie Trailer (1970)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-0dTpzNzwo

As for Nero and Caligula and the wolves of wall street, I guess I'm more interested in an Augustus or Caesar, a Hadrian, or an emperor Julian, or a Gaius Marius.

(about wolves of wall street, these guys are not "heroes," they are not loveable bad guys even. they're just corrupt, snorting lines of coke of a stripper's belly with hundred dollar bills that used to be distributed to a broad middle and working class. I don't know, I'm just not interested in any film that glorifies them.

I'm interests in titans of business that DO SOMETHING GREAT, but not parasites and cancers, you know?)
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby radon1 » Sun 11 Jan 2015, 04:26:23

pstarr wrote:
by Nikita Mikhalkov

Mikhalkov used to be good, he even got Oscar for Burnt by the Sun back in 1990s. Those were more Soviet type movies though. Later he's become rubbish.

As for Di Caprio -- I can't remember a good movie, with him in it.
The Departed, Shutter Island, Inception.
radon1
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Sixstrings » Tue 20 Jan 2015, 03:13:38

I decided to type "ukraine" into netflix, and it popped up a Frontline episode and also this, which is on youtube as well.

Trailer:

Full movie:

"Putins Kiss" "Поцелуй Путина"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iKj41HgtFk

Putin's Kiss is a 2012 documentary, directed by Lise Birk Pedersen, about Russian youth activist Masha Drokova and her experiences with the youth organisation Nashi.

As the film goes on, Drokova becomes friends with several other journalists, many of whom are critical of the Russian ruling party. Her views are called into question and she becomes increasingly torn between the two. The situation reaches a head when her friend and fellow journalist Oleg Kashin is violently beaten; though his attackers are never identified, it is speculated by many that they were working for the Kremlin in some capacity. By the end of the film, though Drokova remains an ardent supporter of Putin, she is no longer a member of Nashi, and she is shown discussing her views freely with Kashin.

Putin's Kiss won the World Cinema Cinematography Award in Documentary at the 2012 Sundance Film Festival.[1] It has received mixed reviews, and holds a rating of 52 out of 100 on review aggregator Metacritic.[2] OpenDemocracy.com refers to it as "a complex tale of inner conflict"[3] and the New York Post said that it was "more than just the portrait of a naive young woman...it’s a frightening look at Putin’s warped version of democracy."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Putin%27s_Kiss

I watched a bit of it. I'd read about "nashi" before. It's a government-sponsored pro kremlin national youth group.

I notice they shout "russia is the best, russia is #1" a lot. That's not much different than what we used to do over here, or perhaps we still do sometimes, "we're #1, we're #1, USA! USA!." Especially in the early war years after 9/11.

The documentary seems to be a balanced look at things.

An interesting takeaway from the film is that Putin has been in power for SO LONG now, there's actually an entire generation that know nothing but him. The Russian journalist narrator says that when they were children, Russia was poor and nobody had anything, and under Putin people have cars and plasma tvs and can take vacations.

He says they all like their new lives, but some question Putin's government. Some want real democracy, some of them say Putin calls it a "special democracy," but the activists say there is no special democracy, it's either democracy or not democracy, if you have to call it special then that's dictatorship.

And by the way, I saw a Russia scholar on tv recently that said that she has come more and more to the conclusion that Russians may not want a democracy. So if that is the case, I suppose that has to be respected.

But we in the West are still the democratic West, and we are still going to always promote our model of liberal democracies with real opposition parties, and civil liberties, and truly open fair elections -- especially in Europe.

Anyhow -- I'm not trying to inflame anyone and trying to be fair, it's just a useful film for more deeply understanding things, and if Russia remains at the center of world events then people will have to learn more about it.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Tanada » Tue 20 Jan 2015, 14:42:28

Netflix keeps throwing Orange Is The New Black up at me so I watched the first couple episodes. Very strange yuppy drama prison show about women, sort of.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby dinopello » Tue 20 Jan 2015, 16:08:08

Tanada wrote:Netflix keeps throwing Orange Is The New Black up at me so I watched the first couple episodes. Very strange yuppy drama prison show about women, sort of.

I'll probably end up watching that - saw the first episode. Netflix pushes it because it's their own - and so therefore it will probably never be taken down so that's why I haven't felt the need to watch in any hurry. I think it's also by the creator of Weeds which I had described as a Breaking Bad from the woman's perspective but most of the women I know like Breaking Bad better.
dinopello
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Withnail » Tue 20 Jan 2015, 16:20:56

Sixstrings wrote:I decided to type "ukraine" into netflix, and it popped up a Frontline episode and also this, which is on youtube as well.

Western civilisation was actually founded in Ukraine, so of course we here in Europe are already aware of such films.

Indeed we wait with bated breath for further cultural output from this great country.
Withnail
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

PreviousNext

Return to Book/Media Reviews