Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Natural Gas

Discuss research and forecasts regarding hydrocarbon depletion.

Natural Gas

Unread postby Russ » Sun 05 Mar 2006, 16:24:58

Isn't natural gas much easier to pump than oil? It's a gas, so isn't all that's involved is piercing the field and letting it flow? Doesn't that mean that it's a lot easier to pump natural gas and, thus, deplete the field than oil?

Obviously, I know very little any basic primer on the Natural gas pumping mechanics would be great
Russ
Wood
Wood

Re: Natural Gas

Unread postby ReserveGrowthRulz » Sun 05 Mar 2006, 17:06:26

Russ wrote:Isn't natural gas much easier to pump than oil? It's a gas, so isn't all that's involved is piercing the field and letting it flow? Doesn't that mean that it's a lot easier to pump natural gas and, thus, deplete the field than oil?

Obviously, I know very little any basic primer on the Natural gas pumping mechanics would be great

Viscosity differences between gas and oil is huge, and all in natural gases favor. Natural gas isn't "pumped", give it a 2psi pressure differential and it'll just move right along.

From that prespective, yes, it does make a gas field easier to deplete than an oil field, plus there aren't quite the "changing recovery factor" arguements which make for lively and interesting reserve changes.
ReserveGrowthRulz
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Russ » Sun 05 Mar 2006, 19:40:07

So how quickly do reserves deplete? Or, how long does North America have?
Russ
Wood
Wood

Unread postby ReserveGrowthRulz » Sun 05 Mar 2006, 21:17:28

Russ wrote:So how quickly do reserves deplete? Or, how long does North America have?

Gas reserves suffer from the same reporting problems that oil reserves do, so all the usual debates can take place. Plus, its easier to produce small gas wells than small oil wells, both from an operational standpoint and an economic one, and small wells is what all wells become at some point in time or another.

My guess is once a big LNG terminal opens near a decent sized hub, north american natural gas problems just translate to world natural gas problems, same as oil, post early 70's. So maybe the question is when does the world run out, and how high will the price have to be to sustain LNG operations world wide.
ReserveGrowthRulz
Permanently Banned

Unread postby eXpat » Sat 07 Nov 2009, 12:44:39

More natural gas controversy
Monday, November 2, Arthur Berman wrote in his blog:

Pressure from Petrohawk helps cancel World Oil column

In an act of extraordinary courage, a top Petrohawk executive threatened to cancel his free subscription to World Oil if the magazine continued to publish my column. Today, John Royall, President and CEO for Gulf Publishing, cancelled my November column.

I have accordingly resigned as contributing editor.

Heading Out (Dave Summers) and I have been talking about the issues Arthur Berman raises for quite a while now. Most recently, Dave wrote a post called Shale Gas Estimates Perhaps Optimistic - An Interesting and Worrying Talk at ASPO.

So what are the issues involved?

What Arthur Berman is saying is that natural gas companies that extract shale are mis-estimating how quickly natural gas production will decline in the future--they are assuming gas production will decline more slowly than evidence indicates it will. As a result of their optimistic assumptions about decline rates, they are assuming that shale gas can profitably be extracted for as long as 50 years, when Berman believes the average well life is only about 8 years.

http://www.energybulletin.net/node/50618
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."
George Bernard Shaw

You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.” Ayn Rand
eXpat
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby shortonsense » Sat 07 Nov 2009, 12:55:02

eXpat wrote:
What Arthur Berman is saying is that natural gas companies that extract shale are mis-estimating how quickly natural gas production will decline in the future--they are assuming gas production will decline more slowly than evidence indicates it will. As a result of their optimistic assumptions about decline rates, they are assuming that shale gas can profitably be extracted for as long as 50 years, when Berman believes the average well life is only about 8 years.

http://www.energybulletin.net/node/50618

Berman's technical abilities have already been commented on.

http://petroleumtruthreport.blogspot.co ... earch.html
shortonsense
Permanently Banned

Unread postby varadarajan » Sat 07 Aug 2010, 02:03:52

Normalised cubic meters per hour.

The flow rate in cubic meters per hour which would produce the same mass flow rate if the temperature of the gas was 20 degrees C.

eg if you have 100 cubic metres per hour, but the temperature is 10 degrees C, that is equivalent to about 103 cubic metres per hour at 20 degrees C.

hosted voip softswitch
toner refill kit
varadarajan
Wood
Wood

Mideast Strife Is Cash Positive For U.S. Natural Gas — And C

Unread postby AdamB » Fri 23 Feb 2018, 23:44:56

By Jim Krane Over the years, America’s involvement in the strife-ridden politics of the Middle East has brought a lot of heartache. By one measure, however, Americans’ luck in the Middle East has improved. It’s not that political divisions have mended. It’s that U.S. natural gas producers have found a way to capitalize on those divisions. Yes, American shale gas is now so plentiful we have started exporting it to countries accustomed to being on the other side of our energy dependence equation. The reverse U.S.-Mideast energy trade I mentioned in an earlier blog post has deepened. China, too, is now cashing in, selling the region on coal. At the root of these strange trade juxtapositions lies fractious regional politics. Source: US Department of Energy Figure 1: In 2016 and 2017, more than 10 percent of US LNG exports, or 27 cargoes, went to these

Mideast Strife Is Cash Positive For U.S. Natural Gas — And Chinese Coal
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Subjectivist » Mon 14 Dec 2020, 09:01:49

The above graph shows Natural Gas consumption from 1994 through 2019. Over that period Natural Gas consumption has almost doubled from just over 2,000 billion cubic meters aka 2 Trillion cubic meters consumed in 1994 to just shy of 4 Trillion cubic meters in 2019. Even more telling the first half of this increase took from 1994 to 2008, a span of 14 years. The second half of the climb from 2009-2019 added another Trillion cubic meters in a single decade. For those more comfortable with the American habit of using Cubic Feet 1 Trillion cubic meters is a little over 35.3 Trillion cubic feet.

Given this rapid and still growing Natural Gas consumption it is hard to see how we can keep feeding our consumption habits indefinitely. Sure simple math says the classic "At todays consumption rate we will have Natural Gas abundance for 250 years!". The problem is, the math is not so simple because consumption is not only growing, the growth rate is accelerating. The only region showing an absolute decrease in Natural Gas consumption over the last 24 years has been Europe, and that has been mostly due to the fact that Western Europe which does the majority of consuming gas has to import much of what they burn at prices significantly higher than what people and industry in North America pay. At the same time China has not only been increasing domestic consumption they have greatly increased their imports from Russia via LNG shipping and a new just opened pipeline. As I understand it the Chinese and Russians have a long term contract price which made it worth building the pipeline. Because of the contract China has a known price for that portion of their consumption making it easier to resist price hikes from North American LNG exporters.

RT News wrote: China has brought the middle section of the China-Russia East natural gas pipeline into operation. It is connected to the Power of Siberia gas pipeline from Russia that will deliver blue fuel to northern China.

According to the state-run China Oil & Gas Piping Network Corp (PipeChina), the 1,110km section of the pipeline will stimulate the development of the Beijing-Tianjin-Hebei region, the country’s main manufacturing area, by increasing gas supply by 27 million cubic meters per day.

27 Million cubic meters a day is 9.855 Billion cubic meters a year, a significant increase in anyone's ledger.
https://www.rt.com/business/508524-chin ... e-siberia/
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Return to Peak oil studies, reports & models