Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Moving America Beyond Oil: A Brief Year-End Progress Report

Discussions of conventional and alternative energy production technologies.

Unread postby Graeme » Tue 07 Jan 2014, 20:15:51

Five years ago I was defending a new report sponsored by NRDC, EDF, various government agencies and foundations, as well as the American Public Transportation Association, the Intelligent Transportation Society of America, Shell Oil and the Urban Land Institute. This report – Moving Cooler: An Analysis of Transportation Strategies for Reducing Greenhouse Gas Emissions – filled a huge analytical gap in transportation. While ample study has been made of the technical potential to reduce emissions by improving vehicle technology, there have been fewer comprehensive assessments of the potential to cut pollution by reducing traffic levels and improving the efficiency of the transportation system.

The report warranted defense from some advocates and analysts who were skeptical about its findings, namely that there is ample opportunity to save oil and reduce pollution by changing travel activity. The team of analysts and a steering committee chaired by yours truly examined about 50 policy tools that could reduce emissions in 9 different categories:

Pricing (e.g., tolls, pay-as-you-drive-insurance, VMT fees, carbon/fuel taxes);
Land use and smart growth;
Nonmotorized transportation (i.e., walking and biking);
Public transportation improvements;
Regional ride-sharing and commute measures;
Regulatory measures (e.g., reduced speed limits);
Operational/ITS strategies;
Capacity/bottleneck relief; and
Freight sector strategies.
Many of the results of the study make intuitive sense. For example, pricing measures can be quite effective especially if they provide a hefty disincentive for driving. And equity concerns about them (such consumption taxes are regressive) can be alleviated by funneling investment into viable alternative mobility options such as public transportation routes. And while pricing can be effective in the near-term, land use changes are very effective given a longer time frame. Some measures were surprisingly effective, such as programs to change driver behavior referred to as “eco-driving.”

We also performed some basic analysis of interactions between these measures by “bundling” them into 6 different combinations characterized by themes including “System and Driver Efficiency” as well as “Facility Pricing.” However, this is an area that still warrants more analysis especially at the metro regional level where the rubber hits the road.

This is also great time to take stock of progress, with a tremendous number of action in transportation and energy since Moving Cooler’s publication. First, the Obama Administration has made exceedingly effective use of the tools available to EPA and DOT to reduce carbon emissions and increase average fuel economy of America’s light-duty vehicle fleet. We assumed baseline progress in Moving Cooler, and the rules will drive fuel efficiency even faster and higher as we take the single biggest step possible to reduce pollution and save fuel.

Meanwhile, a variety of drivers (some policy, some economic, some demographic) are changing the vehicle-miles-of-travel (VMT) picture just as dramatically. VMT has grown reliably for decades, albeit at a decelerating rate. However, since 2006 it has plateaued both in per-capita and absolute terms as you can see from the graph below courtesy of Phineas Baxandall at U.S. PIRG who has done yeoman’s work studying this emerging trendline.

theenergycollective
Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe. H. G. Wells.
Fatih Birol's motto: leave oil before it leaves us.
Graeme
Fusion
Fusion

Re: Moving America Beyond Oil: A Brief Year-End Progress Rep

Unread postby rollin » Tue 07 Jan 2014, 22:34:33

The reality is that cars can outdo public transportation very easily just by ridesharing. Both cars and planes are moving toward much higher efficiency and will soon be the main mode of travel.
Here is an article on how efficient various types of powered travel are and why.

http://www.templetons.com/brad/transit-myth.html
Once in a while the peasants do win. Of course then they just go and find new rulers, you think they would learn.
rollin
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby ralfy » Tue 07 Jan 2014, 23:09:27

If city MPG is used, then the energy requirement for cars become the same as those of public transport. If public transport is fully utilized, then its energy efficiency goes up further.

Ultimately, moving beyond oil will mean localization, with cars used for emergencies and rail transport critical for shipment of necessities.
ralfy
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Plantagenet » Thu 09 Jan 2014, 01:46:02

The mix of cars in the US now is almost identical to what it was in 2007

There has been almost no change in spite of the Great Recession the jobless.obama recovery and tripling oil prices

Amazing isn't it? 8)
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Subjectivist » Thu 09 Jan 2014, 07:49:58

Plantagenet wrote:The mix of cars in the US now is almost identical to what it was in 2007

There has been almost no change in spite of the Great Recession the jobless.obama recovery and tripling oil prices

Amazing isn't it? 8)

The word I would use is depressing, not amazing. What happened to all those great cash for clunker dreams? If we had agressively continued that program i might have actually had an impact on fleet efficiency.
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Mon 13 Jan 2014, 09:54:10

Sam - I'll check with my engineer this afternoon. I think he uses Win mostly today. Aries was hot for a long time but I'm not sure today
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby lasseter » Mon 13 Jan 2014, 10:03:39

pstarr wrote:
The USA needs a full-body transplant to survive, a massive Marshal Plan II government effort to build solar power and drill electric rail lines through suburbia--

New paradigms. Work shifts must follow electrical supply; it's windy/sunny you build stuff. It calm/cloudy you play scrabble. Or tweet. Not so hard?

I am not talking about a hippy-dippy back-to-land ludditism but rather a high-tech command&control centralized industrial transformation.

Yes, a good plan, as good as any I have ever heard. I would give my full support to such a plan were it ever instigated, I would happily take austerity in my own life to see it come to pass for the sake of future generations. It's too bad they didn't begin it all in the 1970's when we still had abundant cheap oil to make such transitions practical.

Around where I live the local and state government cannot even afford to replace the water mains across a city of 1.7 Million. The can't afford to keep the roads repaired properly, and all the privatized tunnels and toll roads run at a loss and need subsidies that further drain the coffers. We have a good electric rail network drilled through the suburbs and the trains are full in peak-hour but the network comes nowhere near paying for itself either. And that's now with it running on cheap coal fired elecricity.

The reality is there is just not enough wealth (cheap oil) left to fund big projects and not enough wealth in peoples pockets to pay for them once built. Half our nation is on wefare of one form or another, and even when there were abundant jobs, the trend was to just sit at home and play scrabble.
Friends, good long lasting friends, these are worth more than gold
lasseter
Peat
Peat

Unread postby dinopello » Wed 15 Jan 2014, 15:03:19

pstarr wrote:The auto fleet is the cause, not the solution to our peak-oil dilemma. It is impossible (given earthly chemistry/physics) to build a EV storage device that contains 1/10th the energy of an equivalent mass of gasoline/diesel. EV's simply do not have the range/replenish-time/convenience to drive American where they need to go. Period. The same for NG, in which case it is the distribution system (the pipelines) that will not reach our destinations.

Tell that to Neil.

Neil Young: "Rockstars don't need oil"

Well I heard mister Young sing about her
Well, I heard ole Neil put her down
Well, I hope Neil Young will remember
A Southern Oil man don't need him around anyhow
dinopello
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Return to Energy Technology