Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Movie: "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull"

A forum to either submit your own review of a book, video or audio interview, or to post reviews by others.

Movie: "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull"

Unread postby mmasters » Thu 22 May 2008, 21:13:36

Saw it this afternoon and was a bit disappointed. Was kind of like Indiana Jones crossed with Pirates of the Carribean. Story didn't have much to it and came off as pieced together. Seems like anything George Lucas gets envolved with goes the more superficial and less substance route like with the Star Wars series. Oh well, it was fun to watch and would make a good movie for young children.
mmasters
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Re: Saw the Indiana Jones movie today...

Unread postby joeltrout » Thu 22 May 2008, 22:06:36

I haven't seen it yet but I will probably consider myself a young child when I do. My wife and I have been waiting for this to come out for a while. I absolutely love the first 3 movies.

joeltrout
joeltrout
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby PenultimateManStanding » Thu 22 May 2008, 22:17:52

So does Jones have to deal with snakes? I assume his dad, Sean Connery is still around and hale since he drank from the Holy Grail in episode three and is now immortal.
Turn those Machines back On! - Don Ameche in Trading Places
PenultimateManStanding
Expert
Expert

Unread postby mmasters » Thu 22 May 2008, 22:27:39

PenultimateManStanding wrote:I assume his dad, Sean Connery is still around and hale since he drank from the Holy Grail in episode three and is now immortal.

Nope, in this movie he has passed on...
mmasters
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby mmasters » Thu 22 May 2008, 22:29:36

joeltrout wrote:I haven't seen it yet but I will probably consider myself a young child when I do. My wife and I have been waiting for this to come out for a while. I absolutely love the first 3 movies.

joeltrout

Oh it's a fun movie, just don't be like me and expect something more deep. :)
mmasters
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby PenultimateManStanding » Thu 22 May 2008, 22:37:23

mmasters wrote:
PenultimateManStanding wrote:I assume his dad, Sean Connery is still around and hale since he drank from the Holy Grail in episode three and is now immortal.

Nope, in this movie he has passed on...
What a gyp. They went to great troubles to find that thing.
PenultimateManStanding
Expert
Expert

Unread postby hubbertspeak7777777 » Thu 22 May 2008, 23:26:09

I don't plan on seeing it. I only liked the first one. The sequels were crap, especially the third film with Sean Connery (I watched about 20 minutes of that one before I fell asleep.) The second was pretty bad too, his girlfriend and that chinese kid from the Goonies were both really annoying. I don't plan on seeing this one.

The first one was great, though. I watched it all the time when I was a kid. I especially liked the ending were the Nazis opened the ark and their faces melted. That was great. Or the part were the guy with the swords puts on this facy show like him and Jones were gonna have an epic sword fight, instead Jones just rolls his eyes and shoots the bastard. That was classic.

It's kind of like those Alien movies, only the first one was good and the sequels were dog shit.

Btw, I lost all respect for George Lucas the day I discovered that he created awful characters like Jar-Jar Binks. Howard the Duck was bad enough, but when he created Jar-Jar, I refused to see another movie that Lucas had anything to do with.
hubbertspeak7777777
Coal
Coal

Unread postby BigTex » Thu 22 May 2008, 23:31:27

hubbertspeak7777777 wrote:I don't plan on seeing it. I only liked the first one. The sequels were crap, especially the third film with Sean Connery (I watched about 20 minutes of that one before I fell asleep.) --snip-- Howard the Duck was bad enough, but when he created Jar-Jar, I refused to see another movie that Lucas had anything to do with.

I saw Raiders of the Lost Ark in the theater when it came out probably 6 or 7 times. Just an amazing film. Steven Spielberg and George Lucas really had the touch back then. Lucas hasn't made a good movie since then, and Spielberg's best work is WAY behind him.
:)
BigTex
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby hubbertspeak7777777 » Thu 22 May 2008, 23:40:43

BigTex wrote:I saw Raiders of the Lost Ark in the theater when it came out probably 6 or 7 times. Just an amazing film. Steven Spielberg and George Lucas really had the touch back then. Lucas hasn't made a good movie since then, and Spielberg's best work is WAY behind him.

I wasn't born yet when it was in theaters, but I watched it 100's of times growing up. I still watch it every once in a while.

It's pretty much the only Spielberg/Lucas movie I like. It's annoying that you can't buy the movies seperately, you have to buy the other two dvds with it. Good thing I still have my vhs.
hubbertspeak7777777
Coal
Coal

Unread postby kpeavey » Thu 22 May 2008, 23:53:33

although the elder Doctor Jones drank from the holy grail, because it was carried past the seal, it's full effects may not have been possible
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face--for ever."
-George Orwell, 1984
_____

twenty centuries of stony sleep were vexed to nightmare by a rocking cradle, and what rough beast, its hour come round at last, slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?
-George Yeats
kpeavey
Expert
Expert

Unread postby PenultimateManStanding » Fri 23 May 2008, 00:07:56

kpeavey wrote:although the elder Doctor Jones drank from the holy grail, because it was carried past the seal, it's full effects may not have been possible
What a gyp. You get to be immortal, but you have to spend eternity watching over a bunch of dishes.
PenultimateManStanding
Expert
Expert

Unread postby BigTex » Fri 23 May 2008, 00:10:11

hubbertspeak7777777 wrote:
BigTex wrote:
I saw Raiders of the Lost Ark in the theater when it came out probably 6 or 7 times. Just an amazing film. Steven Spielberg and George Lucas really had the touch back then. Lucas hasn't made a good movie since then, and Spielberg's best work is WAY behind him.

I wasn't born yet when it was in theaters, but I watched it 100's of times growing up. I still watch it every once in a while.

It's pretty much the only Spielberg/Lucas movie I like. It's annoying that you can't buy the movies seperately, you have to buy the other two dvds with it. Good thing I still have my vhs.

Having the opportunity to see that movie in the theaters when I was 11 years old was awesome. In many ways it is the perfect movie to see in a theater and 11 years old is a pretty awesome age to see it at.

I saw Star Wars in the theater when I was 8, and that was cool too, but I was a little young to get the full sense of coolness about it.

I remember seeing the first Superman in the theater and that was really cool.

Some movies just have to be seen at a certain age to really have the maximum effect.

As an adult, sometimes I wish that I was still as easily impressed by things as I was when I was a kid. Once you get grown up and get accustomed to thinking about everything in a critical manner, it's just a lot harder to be impressed. That's been my experience anyway.

Having your own kids can really get you back in touch with that stuff, though. The cliche is true.

BTW, I saw Speed Racer with my kids last weekend and that movie was AWESOME. It was so much fun to watch and my kids loved it too.
BigTex
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby PenultimateManStanding » Fri 23 May 2008, 00:15:47

BigTex wrote:BTW, I saw Speed Racer with my kids last weekend and that movie was AWESOME. It was so much fun to watch and my kids loved it too.
My son recommended that movie to me last night.
PenultimateManStanding
Expert
Expert

Unread postby BigTex » Fri 23 May 2008, 00:17:28

PenultimateManStanding wrote:My son recommended that movie [Speedracer] to me last night.

Man, it was awesome.I've never seen a movie quite like it. Really impressive.
BigTex
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Re: Movie: "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Sku

Unread postby Tanada » Sat 14 Dec 2013, 11:07:53

Of all the Indiana Jones movies this is the only one I just found no enjoyment in. The others are all action adventure stories where the hero does very risky maneuvers that are barely plausible for an athlete with a little luck. In this one no human could have survived half the things that took place, let alone gotten up and run onward towards the goal.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Movie: "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Sku

Unread postby vision-master » Sat 14 Dec 2013, 13:04:16

vision-master

Return to Book/Media Reviews