Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Most efficient Solar clothes dryer ever invented

How to save energy through both societal and individual actions.

Re: Most efficient Solar clothes dryer ever invented

Unread postby dolanbaker » Mon 16 Jan 2017, 14:21:19

When I saw the subject, the first thing that came to mind was one of these!

It will definitely dry them quickly! :lol:
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.:Anonymous
Our whole economy is based on planned obsolescence.
Hungrymoggy "I am now predicting that Europe will NUKE ITSELF sometime in the first week of January"
dolanbaker
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby toolpush » Mon 16 Jan 2017, 14:48:55

baha wrote:What I did this weekend.
CL small.jpg

Funny, these are still available on the internet. They cost almost as much as the cheapest electric dryer you can buy. But the cost to society of manufacturing and delivery is much smaller. In comparison this will pay for itself in about a year and then pay me for at least 19 more years.

I am lucky that my wife has used a clothes line since before we met. She prefers the clean, fresh smell and the clothes last longer. Our old one was even more efficient...it was strung between the carport and a tree:)

Those who think solar power can't carry the load aren't thinking this thru...solar is all we've ever had...it's just what's the best way to store it.

@ Tanada - Some technology isn't obsolete...it's just old. Like me:)

Australia upgraded to a newer version around the end of the second world war.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hills_Hoist
toolpush
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Shaved Monkey » Mon 16 Jan 2017, 17:57:40

Used in the Sydney Olympics opening ceremony
and
every Australian kid did this
Ready to turn Zombies into WWOOFers
Shaved Monkey
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Tanada » Tue 17 Jan 2017, 11:58:16

Both kinds were available in Michigan where I grew up.

What I find stunning is that it cost you over $100 for two poles and the lines to string them. Our house growing up had three poles making a very long set of lines in the back yard and air dried clothes always smell so much better than machine dried. Heck we even had a two pole line at the first apartment I rented as an adult, I was one of the few who made use of it, though that was only for outerwear and linens. Undergarments were definitely machine dry in the city. We also had a wooden drying rack that we could use in the winter, it doubled as a humidifier for the house if you were drying just a small load.

Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby steam_cannon » Tue 17 Jan 2017, 12:46:01

Yep, I have one. Those work well.

dolanbaker wrote:When I saw the subject, the first thing that came to mind was one of these!
It will definitely dry them quickly! :lol:

Lol, yeah same here. I was thinking about a large solar powered oven I made that would have been good for drying cloths if it had some hangers inside and an internal fan added. I have a drying rack, but I think a solar powered hot house would dry cloths much faster then a conventional drying rack.

They technically sell laundry domes (a good idea but looks like it needs a solar powered vent added)...
laundry_dome_4.jpg

Hmm, I suppose I could make one from a greenhouse as I have one that would be the right size. I suppose if I added a solar powered vent, a few plywood/mylar mirrors pointed at the thing and hung some sheets of black garden cloth inside to diffuse and absorb heat. I bet that would be pretty fast at drying cloths.

SolShed0610040007.JPG

Another related thing I'm working on are some computerized solar powered solar heaters that would probably also work well as a heat source for a conventional cloths dryer. It wouldn't be that tricky to set up a cheap conventional dryer to turn on when the heat collectors come up to temperature. That might make a good project. Though I wonder if making biogas to power a gas powered dryer might be easier.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"The multiplication force of technology on cognitive differences is massive." -Jordan Peterson
steam_cannon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby springcody » Fri 24 Feb 2017, 23:14:54

Hi Baha,

This is really interesting. I find the power of solar panels astounding. The sun has existed long before we ever were, but it seems like we don't appreciate it very much, but these sorts of inventions really put solar power in the limelight. Though, I have to say that my favorite is the T8881S EcoComfort.

Thanks
springcody
Wood
Wood

Unread postby Smurfs1976 » Tue 28 Mar 2017, 05:11:16

Shaved Monkey wrote:Used in the Sydney Olympics opening ceremony
and every Australian kid did this

It's hard to properly explain to anyone from another country just how iconic the Hills Hoist actually is in Australia. A simple but effective device that has ended up becoming a ubiquitous symbol of Australian suburban life generally.

I'll take a rough guess that probably half of Australian households don't even own an electric clothes dryer. And of those who do have one, basically nobody uses them unless it's too wet outside for drying clothes on the line. Only real exception there would be those living in apartments.
Smurfs1976
Wood
Wood

Unread postby sparky » Tue 28 Mar 2017, 09:11:15

Beside the hill hoist being an antenna for extraterrestrial to watch "neighbors " it has some solid advantages
it rotate , much to the delight of kids, allowing the missus to string the Landry without having to move
it can be ratcheted up or down for the short arsed missus also it keep it out of reach for the short arsed kids
it is very sturdy so the kids don't break it .
it is a statement of national family values ,
like ...we're gays and have no missus or kids but have a hoist in the backyard because we are proud Aussies
sparky
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby lpetrich » Mon 04 Feb 2019, 05:55:22

When I saw this thread, I thought that it was about using reflectors to direct sunlight onto clothes that were being dried. Without that, it's very time-consuming and vulnerable to bad weather, like being rained on and frozen.
lpetrich
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby GHung » Mon 04 Feb 2019, 09:57:01

lpetrich wrote:When I saw this thread, I thought that it was about using reflectors to direct sunlight onto clothes that were being dried. Without that, it's very time-consuming and vulnerable to bad weather, like being rained on and frozen.

Gosh, nothing like wasting a lot of energy to save a little time, eh? It takes me about five minutes to put my heavier clothes on the line, a couple of hours until they are almost dry at which point I finish them in the dryer for a few more minutes. Saves us a LOT of propane. In winter I freeze dry my jeans 8O

Then again, maybe you are a prime example of the type of person who will have trouble adapting to a power-down, energy constrained future.
Blessed are the Meek, for they shall inherit nothing but their Souls. - Anonymous Ghung Person
GHung
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby EdwinSm » Tue 05 Feb 2019, 06:04:33

They also work well to freeze dry clothes in the depth of winter. :) It does quiet well with sheets, but they are fun to bring it when they have frozen solid.

Some while back I was talking with a neighbour who had solar pv panels before we got ours, and the talk turned to how, to make the most of the electricity, we had to plan the domestic work so that the laundry and vacuuming etc were done when the sun shines. Both he and I are pensioners so there is not a tight schedule for jobs like that.
EdwinSm
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Newfie » Tue 05 Feb 2019, 08:28:24

2 years ago I tore off the old porch (cabin in Newfoundland) and built a new one. I wanted a clean view so I used cloths line as the safety lines. My Wife uses them as clothes lines. She’s cleaver one that she is!

5015800C-F6DB-49DB-B245-CAA909D44548.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Return to Conservation & Efficiency