Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Meat Eaters Are Killing The Planet

Meat Eaters Are Killing The Planet

Unread postby dohboi » Thu 25 May 2017, 15:14:26

Factory Farms Put Climate at Risk, Experts Say in Urging Health Officials to Speak Out

Roughly 200 experts in disciplines from nutrition to animal welfare are calling on the World Health Organization to take a more serious look at the impact of industrial livestock production on human health and the climate.

In a letter sent Monday, the group—which includes former New York Times food writer Mark Bittman and environmentalist Bill McKibben—appealed to the WHO, asking that its next director-general work "to reduce the size and number of factory farms." The WHO's World Health Assembly got underway Monday, and the body will elect a new leader this week.

"As the global health community acknowledges the intertwined nature of planetary and human health, it must also confront the role that factory farming plays in climate change," the letter says.

The group points to predictions that, without a reduction in meat consumption, agriculture—including livestock production and growing grain to feed livestock—is on track to gobble up half the world's carbon budget if countries expect to meet the 2050 target of limiting global temperature rise to less than 2 degrees Celsius. The livestock industry's contribution to greenhouse gases come from direct sources, including methane emitted from the animals belching and their manure, but also from indirect sources, including land conversion and deforestation linked to growing feed.

https://insideclimatenews.org/news/2205 ... ganization
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Re: Meat Eaters Are Killing The Planet

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Thu 25 May 2017, 15:33:06

Eating meat is not the underlying cause of our problems. There are simply too many people on one planet, and the ecology is dying in myriad ways because of it.

If in fact we were to end the practice of eating meat, it would only provide temporary respite from inadequate food production. Many European and Asians have been raising cattle long enough that beef tastes really good and we can digest cow's milk without stomach upset. That means that we have been eating these creatures for so many thousands of years that we have evolved to optimize cattle as food. Look around the world and find groups similarly adapted to mutton or fish. Admittedly, we are omniverous, and if we diverted all the grains and grasses fed to our food species, we might stretch our agricultural lands - managed with chemical fertilizers/herbicides/pesticides and GMO plants, to feed 10 or 20 or 30 Billion people. That would delay the day when we don't have enough food, but it does NOTHING to save us, it only makes the inevitable tragedy worse.

Learn to apply some critical thinking before publishing a foolish opinion piece. Even though the nominal topic is carbon emissions, the basic problem is human overshoot. That has to be solved before anything else. When you look at it from that perspective, the globe warming is a good thing if it reduces human food production.

We discussed this years ago. "Big Oil" is everybody's favorite target, but they only account for about 17% of atmospheric carbon emissions. The remainder is largely from livestock - about 51% of the total GHG emissions, counting BOTH carbon dioxide and methane.
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Resistance is Futile, YOU will be Assimilated.

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby onlooker » Thu 25 May 2017, 15:42:14

Yes Dohboi, one of just many strategies that should be employed to reign in our state of Overshoot.
You can ignore reality but not its consequences
onlooker
Anti-Matter
Anti-Matter

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Thu 25 May 2017, 15:47:15

onlooker wrote:Yes Dohboi, one of just many strategies that should be employed to reign in our state of Overshoot.

Same mistake as Doughboy. Decreasing livestock production increases the human food supply and human overshoot.
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby onlooker » Thu 25 May 2017, 15:56:51

Not if your strictly controlling population levels. Also, I would not be too sanguine about food supply going forward. Its facing limitations on multiple fronts
onlooker
Anti-Matter
Anti-Matter

Unread postby Ibon » Thu 25 May 2017, 17:21:06

We have 25 beef cattle that live 18 months until they reach 1000 pounds and they go to the slaughter house. Grass fed organic and these cattle have a brief but idyllic life feeding on pastures at 1900m above sea level. These are happy cattle, no feed lots, no indigestion from eating grain that they did not evolve to eat, no antibiotics because they are spread over 80 acres and are not corralled or forced in high density locations. They get molasses and mineral salt and vaccinated against a couple of diseases.

Why can't we legislate against factory farming. You guys ever drive through texas or oklahoma. You know from 20 miles away you are nearing a feedlot, that place were thousands of animals are kept in super high density concentration camp accommodations, fed enormous amounts of antibiotics, fattened up on corn before slaughtered.
This is animal abuse. Period.

You are what you eat. Remember.

Here is why KJ is right. If we had only a billion on the planet all farmers could keep livestock at the same densities we do here at Totumas. There would be no need for corn feed beef. It could all be grass fed, organic in low density acreage. No antibiotics necessary. No growth hormones.

But Dohboi and Onlooker are also right. We do not need to force cattle in inhumane living conditions just for profit. We could reduce meat production globally.

But you can't do one thing without addressing the other which is what both Onlooker and KJ are ultimately saying here and you are both right.

Lets try to find common ground and not go binary shall we?
Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
blog: http://blog.mounttotumas.com/
Ibon

Unread postby onlooker » Thu 25 May 2017, 22:25:16

No doubt overpopulation is the or a underlying manner we are in overshoot!
onlooker
Anti-Matter
Anti-Matter

Unread postby Plantagenet » Fri 26 May 2017, 00:37:48

I grilled a wonderful Sirloin steak last night. For seven months a year my deck in covered in snow, so getting to grill int he summer is a big treat.

I'd much rather see six billion fewer people on the planet then give up my grilled steak.

"Its a brave new world"
---President Obama, 4/25/16
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby dohboi » Fri 26 May 2017, 00:44:22

I see the usual meat defensiveness is coming out, instead of anyone actually re-examining their priorities. Pretty typical, unfortunately.
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Fri 26 May 2017, 03:51:31

We are evolved to eat meat - we have canine teeth for tearing animal flesh. We also have molars that can grind plants. I eat a few salads but I prefer breads and cereals to whole grains, which I consider bird food.

Those ARE my priorities. If my eating meat means that 30 or so fewer vegan humans can exist, that is a good thing. If I die years earlier because I unwisely ate too much fatty meat and foods containing sugar, that's also a good thing.

The numbers say that if everybody ate healthy foods, they would live longer and healthier lives, and probably reproduce more. That is the exact opposite of saving the Earth, just increasing the human overshoot. It's another example of the typical government action, having the exact opposite of the intended effect. Governments should be acting to decrease the human overshoot, not making people longer-lived and more fertile.

Vegans, vegetarians, and the like are obviously dangerous, and the various governments should place bounties on their scalps. Instead they are taking the worst possible path (from the "save the planet" perspective) and telling us to eat healthy foods and get more exercise and consume fewer drugs and less alcohol.

It is none of their damned business what I eat or how much. Nor anybody else's business if they are not related to me.

KaiserJeep
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby farmlad » Fri 26 May 2017, 08:02:14

Why is it that when the issue of CAFOs is raised that people automaticly think of beef when its only 22% of global meat consumption? Pork is #1 at 36% and poultry a close 2nd at 35%.

Grazing ruminants have big and vital role in rejenerating our planets grasses which in turn has historically contributed to the greatest store of CO2, namely in the soil of these grasslands. Many of our Agricultural practices have released this stored CO2 back into the atmosphere and is arguably the biggest contributer, surpassing that of the burnning of fossil fuels.

If we want to sequester that CO2 back into the soil where it came from I know of no way more practical and effective then to turn cropped acres back into grasslands and savanahs and reintroduce the grazers back onto the landscape and manage the grazing so that it rejenerates the soil and this requires grazers including cattle sheep bison yaks goats pigs etc. Some of the more widly known examples of rejenerative agriculture are Joel Salatins farm Gabe browns farm And they learned a lot from Allan Savory.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpTHi7O66pI&t=38s
farmlad
Coal
Coal

Unread postby Cog » Fri 26 May 2017, 08:51:06

It is considerably more healthy for humans to consume meat than carbs.
Cog
Anti-Matter
Anti-Matter

Unread postby dohboi » Fri 26 May 2017, 08:56:39

Not according to the World Health Organization, especially wrt processed and red meat.

"The International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) has classified processed meat as a carcinogen, something that causes cancer. And it has classified red meat as a probable carcinogen, something that probably causes cancer."

https://www.cancer.org/latest-news/worl ... ancer.html

This puts them basically in the category of cigarettes, but then you probably think cigarettes don't cause cancer either, and that they're safer than vegetables. :lol: :lol:
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Cog » Fri 26 May 2017, 09:05:09

What is not subject to debate is that eating carbs leads directly to Type 2 diabetes, cardiovascular diseases of all types, and obesity.
Cog
Anti-Matter
Anti-Matter

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Fri 26 May 2017, 11:52:17

The whole topic of this thread is in error. Meat eaters are not killing the planet, we are only displacing more than our own numbers of vegans/vegetarians - which is a good thing for the planet.

This thread should be titled "Vegetable Munchers Are Killing The Planet", because that's more accurate.

Not only is eating a non-meat diet completely unnatural, I think it mentally unbalances a person, causing bizzarre thoughts and behaviors.

KaiserJeep
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby pstarr » Fri 26 May 2017, 13:04:49

Cog wrote:What is not subject to debate is that eating carbs leads directly to Type 2 diabetes, cardiovascular diseases of all types, and obesity.

It appears food is poisonous.Perhaps we should avoid food altogether and become gentle floating protoplasm lol

So kind to the earth [smilie=3some.gif] [smilie=5baby.gif] [smilie=5badair.gif]
Haven't you heard? I'm a doomer!
pstarr
NeoMaster
NeoMaster

Unread postby dohboi » Fri 26 May 2017, 13:36:07

Cog, we can agree if you put it: "...if you eat lots of highly processed and refined carbs, like sugar and white bread, and not much else..."

No one ever got diabetes from a healthy vegan (or vegetarian, for than matter...or just low meat/dairy) diet of mostly whole grains, vegetables and fruits, with nuts, seeds and a few other things for variety and essential nutrients.
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby onlooker » Fri 26 May 2017, 13:42:08

Hope we are not straying but I guess we need to distinguish from healthy for ourselves as opposed to healthy for the planet. Something like what Dohboi described is our traditional diet as we evolved. Designated the Paleolithic diet. So, that is what our bodies are "used" to.
onlooker
Anti-Matter
Anti-Matter

Unread postby farmlad » Fri 26 May 2017, 13:48:15

Dohboi Most research fails to distinguish between red meat and highly processed red meat. Neither does it distinguish between grassfed and grain fed meats. thats like advising to not drink water because some folks in history got cholera .
farmlad
Coal
Coal

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Fri 26 May 2017, 14:34:47

I always thought of "processed" meats generically as cured meat. Ham, Bacon, Sausages, corned beef, cold cuts, etc. If it doesn't come fresh under plastic wrap with a near term expiration date, it's processed meat.

Confession: I LOVE everything on the above list of meats, and right now I am working my way through 40 lbs of Gaspar's Linguica and Chorizo, which are forms of Portuguese sausage, the wife's soul food. She purchased it while we were on Nantucket for the MIL funeral.

Most males in my family check out in their mid-80's. I don't expect I'll be any different, I seem to have all the chronic problems that troubled both my Mother's and Father's families.

Meanwhile, I actually do believe that those that eat a diet completely free of meat/poultry/fish are actually mentally unbalanced, because the mix of amino acids they consume is the incorrect ratio for an omnivore. There is a wide range of foods that can be eaten, but if you don't consume other creatures in some form, you are literally crazy and subject to strange thoughts and feelings.

No, I have no scientific basis for this belief, I just FEEL it to be true.

KaiserJeep
Fusion
Fusion

Next

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate