Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Meat Eaters Are Killing The Planet

Re: Meat Eaters Are Killing The Planet

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Sat 27 May 2017, 17:53:45

pstarr wrote:farmlad, don't cattle count as herbivores that chomp off the grass ?

I think the answer is that cattle and bison are adapted to lush temperate grass lands. The Tundra is the environment that matches reindeer/caribou, and moose are adapted to forests and swamps. The desert ruminants are antelopes and gazelles and other such creatures, and the correct animal density per acre is very different.

You can pump fossil aquifers such as the Ogallala and irrigate, turning semi-arid lands temporarilly into a facsimile of the great plains further East, growing grains and grazing cattle. But that is at best a temporary condition, as the waters are a limited resource, just as is oil.

Long term, we should have grazers adapted to the area and the natural rainfall. Beef cattle are very different from the original species, I wonder what human-bred strains of antelope and gazelles would be like?
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Resistance is Futile, YOU will be Assimilated.

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Fission
Fission

Unread postby dohboi » Sat 27 May 2017, 23:12:58

Great.

Turn the vast grasslands back over to the bison.

But maybe let the wolves and other native top predators have a crack at them before we decimate the herds again.

In any case, there is of course not enough grasslands in the world to support everyone living at rate of the carnivorous gluttony of the average American.

Again, really, those interested in a future for the planet and in continuing to eat their precious meat at the levels to which they are accustomed should be the top cheerleaders for most others becoming vegan/vegetarian...that would leave more sustainably raised animals-with-faces for them to devour!! :-D :-D :-D

Good night, and best wishes to all, no matter whom or what you choose to choke down! :) :) :)
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Ibon » Sun 28 May 2017, 06:48:41

dohboi wrote:

Good night, and best wishes to all, no matter whom or what you choose to choke down! :) :) :)

A black Angus just gave birth to the cutest calf who prances around like a deer and is the most adorable little creature. Because the calf is a female she will outlive her male brethren as we will keep her to breed. She may be with us for many years.

The ability to bond and recognize the inherent worth of a small being like this calf at the same time as you recognize its resource as a food requires that you are firmly rooted both in your compassionate and carnivorous nature. They are not incompatible.

A gynecologist does this every day as he may clinically look at a couple dozen vaginas during his work day but still make compassionate love to his wife later in the evening.

Dohboi, life is complex, don't simplify these topics down to some unilateral point of view.
Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
blog: http://blog.mounttotumas.com/
Ibon

Unread postby WildRose » Mon 29 May 2017, 21:29:51

I know quite a few vegans and vegetarians. There are 2 vegans in my family, and they adopted this lifestyle several years ago. I've been vegetarian for a while now, as has my older son. A family friend has been vegan for 15 years, and several of her friends are also. The lady who owns a local pizza restaurant is vegetarian; she has vegetarian and even vegan pizzas available, because there is a demand for them.

The sustainability angle is one of a few reasons why people choose to not eat meat and/or any animal products. But the most compelling reason why vegans and vegetarians choose their diets is because they won't support an industry that is so abusive to animals, that raises them as if they were plants. The health benefits of a non-meat diet, however you measure them, are a close second. I know several people who had irritable bowel when they ate meat and no longer have those symptoms.

I've got to say that I don't miss meat much. Sure, ribs and steak on a barbecue can still smell good, but I don't want to eat them. I've learned to cook vegan versions of many popular dishes and also enjoy the diverse menu afforded by wonderful vegetarian and vegan cookbooks. And the non-meat-eaters I know are intelligent, successful and very active and engaged people, not at all like the people you describe, Ibon.
WildRose
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby pstarr » Mon 29 May 2017, 21:37:31

The irony is that beef cattle spend the bulk of their lives in foraging in pastures or out on the range. Their lives are a heck of a lot nicer than that of their immediate relatives the bison and buffalo. Those poor dear would have lived a daily threat of predator and an ugly ripping death.

Precious vegetarian dairy cattle spend an inordinate amount of their time in milking parlors and holding pens (twice a day). Many never get to range free. Those animals spend a great deal of time standing in their own crap.
There's nothing deeper than love. In fairy tales, the princesses kiss the frogs, and the frogs become princes. In real life,the princesses kiss princes, and the princes turn into frogs

“Bitterness is like cancer. It eats upon the host. But anger is like fire. It burns it all clean.”
― Maya Angelou
pstarr
NeoMaster
NeoMaster

Unread postby Ibon » Tue 30 May 2017, 06:55:29

WildRose wrote:. And the non-meat-eaters I know are intelligent, successful and very active and engaged people, not at all like the people you describe, Ibon.

I know it was a bit of an unfair caricature on my part. Vegans and vegetarians come in all shapes and sizes and dispositions. I acknowledge of course that are many intelligent vegans and vegetarians who are mature individuals who have made this choice for health reasons and out of environmental concern. We do also have guests who are undemanding vegans and vegetarians and not overly focused on themselves.

It was the other category of earnest self absorbed vegans that we sometimes get. You feel you are being subtlety judged from this place of superiority, there is something condescending you sense. Believe me, this category is well represented in the vegan community.
Ibon

Unread postby dohboi » Tue 30 May 2017, 07:28:17

" You feel you are being subtlety judged..."

Only you can create your own feelings...don't blame others for them. To paraphrase Truman, I don't give 'em hell...I just tell the truth, and to them it feels like hell.

Holy criminy, if I let others' views overly affect how I feel, how do you think I would take all the constant rudeness and ridicule constantly poured on vegetarians and vegans around here, or just on those who want to reduce their meat consumption.

And if you caricature and ridicule people and their choices, what reaction do you expect from them.
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Ibon » Tue 30 May 2017, 08:30:28

dohboi wrote:"

And if you caricature and ridicule people and their choices, what reaction do you expect from them.

You know the famous quote........Do unto others as they would do unto you.

Which is your point. And my point as well. I admit to a certain adolescence on my part when it is irresistible to jest with anyone, vegan or not, who does unto others what they themselves get offended over.

To the point Dohboi, it is you who always start this by posting new threads vilifying meat eaters. The whole title of this thread starts is singling out "meat eaters" as killing the planet. So you are doing onto others something that when it is returned to you makes you all upset.

That is just like those Christians (not all Christians) who are sanctimonious in their condemnation of non believers but then they turn around and feel so quickly persecuted and victimized when secular folks tease them.

I must admit that teasing vegans when they take this position is really hard not to do. I confess a bit of adolescence here but you are starting it every time and then in classic progression you switch to feeling victimized by all the carnivorous posters who you claim are being defensive about their meat eating.

This really has nothing to do with vegans and eating meat, but a lot to do with recognizing the game we play here.

Get real Dohboi. Let's see if you can man up here. You are innocent here ? You just post facts abut meat eaters with absolutely no initial intent on judgment? Killing the planet etc.

Yes, Do unto others as they would do unto you
Ibon

Unread postby dohboi » Tue 30 May 2017, 15:33:23

Thanks for the thoughtful comment.

I do tend to post on articles I find interesting, especially when they seem at least somewhat valid (though I don't always agree with everything in articles I post on, not even on the main premise) and point to either the gravity of the situation we face or to some way that we could at least contribute less to the problem. In this case, it can't very well be that I imagine myself standing on some high horse looking down at the sinful masses, since I do, occasionally, eat meat. (Since my main purpose for doing so is to avoid waste, if I am served meat in a restaurant by mistake, I generally eat it.)

I invite you to post on articles you find that make a reasonable claim that vegans or vegetarians, just by not eating meat (or dairy), are posing a grave threat to the planet.

I think we shouldn't avoid pointing out when a preponderance of good evidence and expert judgment has shown that a particular activity is causing harm, even if doing so may bruise some delicate egos of those partaking in said activity.

I must say, though, that I have done the above wrt flying, driving, general consumption, having kids...and I don't really get the same kinds of defensiveness from those engaged in those activities as I do from committed meat (and dairy) eaters when bring up the negatives of those activities (and the positives of vegan/veggie diets).

I'm curious to know if you or others have ideas on why it is specifically on this subject that people get so touchy. I have some theories, but I'm thinking it is probably a complex set of causes, and probably different for different folks, depending on their backgrounds, perhaps.

Thanks ahead of time for any light anyone can cast on that issue.
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Ibon » Tue 30 May 2017, 18:47:20

dohboi wrote:I invite you to post on articles you find that make a reasonable claim that vegans or vegetarians, just by not eating meat (or dairy), are posing a grave threat to the planet.

I am not arguing this point and have nothing to add

I think we shouldn't avoid pointing out when a preponderance of good evidence and expert judgment has shown that a particular activity is causing harm, even if doing so may bruise some delicate egos of those partaking in said activity.

In human overshoot everything in excess is what causes harm. Examples.....Burning fossil fuels at a rate (hypothetical 10 million barrels a day) instead of the current 80 million probably would not even contribute to global warming as the sequestration rate would be in balance with consumption. I am not saying exactly at 10 million but at some hypothetical rate. It is not the burning of fossil fuels it is the excess burning of fossil fuels.

Fresh water aquifers could be just like a bank account, you draw on the reserve in dry years and allow to replenish in wet years to insure that the aquifer is a renewable resource. Today we are sucking aquifers dry... Marine fisheries, topsoils, you name it, you get the idea, it is not the consumption but the rate and excess of consumption beyond carrying capacity.

Eating meat, specifically beef, falls into the exact same category, we can eat meat, we can pasture livestock at lower densities, we can reduce erosion in riparian habitats. It is not the act of eating meet, it is the excess production, feed lots, industrial agriculture which is the problem. Read upstream on this thread once again what I wrote about our livestock here at Mount Totumas; no antibiotics, no growth hormones, only grass fed, no grain, no feedlots before harvesting, low density pasturage. If the whole planet raised beef like this there is zero evidence that eating meet is harmful for the planet. Of course there would be millions of less cattle so the issue again is not the eating of meat but the rate.

By the way, human population falls into this exact same category. Humans aren't killing the planet. It is the excess of humans that are killing the planet. Humans are just like cattle in this regard and you could change the title of this thread to Humans are Killing the Planet. Dohboi, you said there is very good evidence that eating meat is harmful to the planet. Just like your point I can assure you I could come up with some damn good evidence that humans are killing the planet too! :)

I'm curious to know if you or others have ideas on why it is specifically on this subject that people get so touchy.

Here are some origins. My dads siblings, all farmer stock, were completely critical of my sister and my brother when they announced 30 odd years ago that they were vegetarians. The origins of this sensitivity or touchiness around eating meat or choosing to be vegan or vegetarian still has an echo from our agrarian past when we would burn 3000- 5000 calories a day doing hard labor and toiling in the fields. Eating meat was an important component of this high calorie, intense labor output. Even though today we don't do this physical work there is still this association that anyone who is a vegetarian or vegan is not someone who can cut down a tree with a cross cut saw or mix cement in a wheelbarrow or clear pastures with a machete etc. This is changing since today we are a society whose physical labor output is very compatible with being a vegetarian or vegan since we hardly burn any calories in a day.

So this is a generational issue in part, but once our industrial civilization goes into decline a big percentage of our population will go back to burning thousands of calories a day and many of the diet preferences we see today will shift accordingly.

Additional reason for the touchiness or sensitivity is that eating meat is an individual choice, just like the freedom to breed or consume. They are all in the same category. When it comes to asking someone to consider eating LESS meat for health or even ethics I think this is more palatable then when it becomes binary and a black and white choice. It's bad for the environment or bad for your health if you eat meat probably deserves a bit of strong reaction from meat eaters because there is nothing nuanced in such a statement, much like the title of this thread.

The 3rd reason is the one we addressed above, the subtle judgement you sometime get from vegans or vegetarians. The post from Wildrose was good as it pointed out that there are many vegetarians and vegans who are smart and open and their choice does not carry any condemnation to others who choose differently. We have these guests as well here, those who don't carry any judgement or political baggage with their choice, and then there the the others I mentioned whose choice is accompanied by a lot of baggage. This latter group does create a visceral reaction from carnivores.

I can't come up with any other insights except what I mentioned above which I will post again here

Ibon wrote:The ability to bond and recognize the inherent worth of a small being like this calf at the same time as you recognize its resource as a food requires that you are firmly rooted both in your compassionate and carnivorous nature. They are not incompatible.
Ibon

Unread postby dohboi » Tue 30 May 2017, 21:04:46

Thanks again for the thoughtful comments.

You may have noticed that I have been on this site for a good little while and posted my share (perhaps beyond by share :) ) of thoughts here. It is my experience from the beginning that one gets the most vigorous discussions when one states a position clearly and forcefully. If you start with stating every last nuance, generally people just go back to sleep.

So thanks to you and all for the vigorous discussions. It is these that keep me coming back, even if they get ... touchy...at times.

As to "it is the excess production, feed lots, industrial agriculture which is the problem" I can generally agree with that, but it doesn't fit very well into the subject box for these discussions and probably wouldn't generate much of the same discussion.

I still find that bringing up meat issues, as opposed to population or even general consumption, seems to bring out a much more visceral response from many, and I am still a bit baffled by that fact. It may be generational as you say, but given that you, and probably others, have family members and others dear to them who have made the choice to eat much less or now meat/dairy, it is a bit surprising that those intimate connections don't in some way temper the reactions. Most studies show that even passing close familiarity with people who practice a belief system or lifestyle different from one's own generally makes one more accepting of said practice. Not so much this one, apparently.

I do think that, as Michael Pollan and others have pointed out, as omnivores who can really eat and survive on quite a range of possible diets, that we as a species, tend to take certain choices about diet as definitional of our very being. It is a particularly intimate and deep part of our identities, even more than what car we drive (or choose not to drive) or how may kids we have (or choose not to have).

But none of this makes me the least hesitant to prod these aspects of people's identities and perhaps jog some into thinking about them in new ways.

But then, I've never seen a hornets nest I didn't want to give a good wack at! :) :)

So I encourage you and all to keep thinking and keep questioning as we spiral down the toilet bowl of overshoot. About the only thing this moment in history and in human consciousness is that is good and precious is the possibility that some, at least, may wake up a bit, look at themselves deeply, and reconsider who they are and who they might want to become. I certainly continue to do this, even in my dotage.

Best wishes to all in whatever journey they are on.

Goodnight, and bon appetite!

--dohboi
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Ibon » Wed 31 May 2017, 06:45:42

dohboi wrote:It is my experience from the beginning that one gets the most vigorous discussions when one states a position clearly and forcefully. If you start with stating every last nuance, generally people just go back to sleep.
This same tactic may be used by those apposing your views. In this case meat eaters may be less touchy then you assume, you are just getting a stronger reaction because you presented your case without nuance.

So thanks to you and all for the vigorous discussions. It is these that keep me coming back, even if they get ... touchy...at times.

Thanks. Me too.

I still find that bringing up meat issues, as opposed to population or even general consumption, seems to bring out a much more visceral response from many, and I am still a bit baffled by that fact.

You had quite a visceral response when I suggesting eating bugs. So you also demonstrated this behavior in reference to suggesting a different diet. I lived in Thailand for several years where terrestrial arthropods are an important part of the local diet. Foreigners often assumed that the locals ate insects because they were poor. Once we had a very wealthy Thai family from Bangkok visiting our resort and our mango trees had a delectable large beetle infestation. This species of beetle has a plump abdomen that is stir fried with garlic and chilies and kafir lime. It is comparable to shrimp. This family had the locals climb the tree and shake the limbs and they gathered dozens of these beetles. In countries where insects are eaten they are relished by the poor and rich alike. Think about it a minute. If you also assumed that eating bugs was something that only poor people do than you are also demonstrating the same kind of visceral response and a judgement on another diet.

These same cultures in SE Asia ferment crabs, fish or shrimp in large glass bottles where they let them soak in salt and spices in water for up to a couple of weeks. I can assure you that it smells like decaying rotten fish during that first week. But after 2 weeks they filter out all the spices and the dark brew is fish sauce, they cook with it. This often brings a very visceral response to foreigners, one of disgust. But guess what? These Europeans and North Americans who find this disgusting will turn right around and eat aged grueyer cheese or parmesan or blue cheese and find it delectable. This is rotten milk, allowed to age and ferment and get pre digested by bacteria. Try giving this cheese to a SW Asian fishermen in a small village and watch his face twist into complete disgust.

So these examples do show something you mentioned. That eating habits are deeply cultural and deeply ingrained and challenging folks on what they eat and claiming it is not good for them will usually bring about a visceral response. It's not just meat eaters.
Ibon

Unread postby pstarr » Wed 31 May 2017, 10:55:05

Love your arguments Ibon. Cultural food preferences are a deeply held core belief, more central than religion or politics. Folk just don't know or even want to consider it as an opinion. But the revulsion is real.
Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern is a travel and cuisine television show hosted by Andrew Zimmern on the Travel Channel in the US. The first season debuted on Monday, February 6, 2007 at 9pm ET/PT.
Bizarre Foods focuses on regional cuisine from around the world typically perceived by the audience as disgusting, exotic, or bizarre. In each episode, Zimmern focuses on the cuisine of a particular country or region. He typically shows how the food is procured, where it is served, and, usually without hesitation, eats it.

In ten years the show and world have evolved. Zimmern now also reports from the most desirable expensive and elegant restaurants all over the world that embracing the local food movement. We seem Zimmern eating a favorite (all around the world) ant/termite larva with Kalahari folks around a fire, then doing the same at a three-star Michelin restaurant in Johannesburg. Recommend it to anyone who cares about the local food movement. It is exploding elsewhere . . . just not in the US
There's nothing deeper than love. In fairy tales, the princesses kiss the frogs, and the frogs become princes. In real life,the princesses kiss princes, and the princes turn into frogs

“Bitterness is like cancer. It eats upon the host. But anger is like fire. It burns it all clean.”
― Maya Angelou
pstarr
NeoMaster
NeoMaster

Unread postby dohboi » Wed 31 May 2017, 14:31:47

I have no problem with eating bugs. So you misread me there.

It just struck me as a diversionary tactic to bring it up, to me.

And yes, I do get upset at red herring and other logical fallacies and diversionary tactics. But your follow up helped me see that the bugs, for you at least, may not be completely a red herring (more like a red aphid, perhaps?? :-D :-D )
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby aldente » Mon 05 Jun 2017, 03:38:03

dohboi!

since you do have a sticky that states "Master",

either show us all your stable of slaves - OR- present us with a true and real demonstration of you abilities!

aldente
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby dohboi » Mon 05 Jun 2017, 08:15:32

LOL

That moniker is, of course, foisted on me by the PTB here, presumably for my inordinate quantity of posts.

My preference would be that they give me the same title as Samuel Johnson's definition of lexicographer: "a harmless drudge"! :-D :-D
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby pstarr » Mon 05 Jun 2017, 09:59:13

dohboi wrote:I have no problem with eating bugs. So you misread me there.
Dear little souls with buggy families and buggy friends in little buggy hives and buggy towns. You are a mean rogue, dohboi :x :-D

― Maya Angelou
pstarr
NeoMaster
NeoMaster

Unread postby dohboi » Mon 05 Jun 2017, 23:46:59

Hmmmm, sounds like somebody is buggin' out...again! :-D :-D :-D
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby aldente » Sat 24 Jun 2017, 01:44:27

I have been a vegetarian for 25 years and did suffer no harm (beer kept me alive) - and the desire to fly.

Igor Sikorsky, the developer of the original helicopter probably was following the same drive- just a hypothesis

aldente
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby dohboi » Sun 06 Aug 2017, 22:17:18

If Everyone Ate Beans Instead of Beef

With one dietary change, the U.S. could almost meet greenhouse-gas emission goals.

“I think there’s genuinely a lack of awareness about how much impact this sort of change can have,” Harwatt told me. There have been analyses in the past about the environmental impacts of veganism and vegetariansim, but this study is novel for the idea that a person’s dedication to the cause doesn’t have to be complete in order to matter. A relatively small, single-food substitution could be the most powerful change a person makes in terms of their lifetime environmental impact—more so than downsizing one’s car, or being vigilant about turning off light bulbs, and certainly more than quitting showering.

To understand why the climate impact of beef alone is so large, note that the image at the top of this story is a sea of soybeans in a silo in the Brazilian Amazon rainforest. The beans belong to a feed lot that holds 38,000 cattle, the growth and fattening of which means dispensing 900 metric tons of feed every day. Which is to say that these beans will be eaten by cows, and the cows will convert the beans to meat, and the humans will eat the meat. In the process, the cows will emit much greenhouse gas, and they will consume far more calories in beans than they will yield in meat, meaning far more clearcutting of forests to farm cattle feed than would be necessary if the beans above were simply eaten by people....

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/arch ... ef/535536/
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

PreviousNext

Return to Environment