Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Mass Exodus from US Coasts begins in LA

Re: Mass Exodus from US Coasts begins in LA

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Sun 07 Jan 2018, 13:34:04

onlooker, do these properties look abandonned or distressed to you?

https://www.sothebysrealty.com/eng/sales/nantucket-ma-usa

...like I said if you cannot afford the beach, chances are that you are Middle Class and should not be living there anyway. I am Middle Class and I will be living 1/2 mile from the Nantucket shore, in a pine forest with a dirt road, no water or sewer connection, no snow plowing, 4WD required for access.
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Resistance is Futile, YOU will be Assimilated.

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby onlooker » Sun 07 Jan 2018, 14:53:39

We will see when they really jack up the insurance rates in those areas with those rates. Think of parts of California or coastal parts of Florida or the Gulf Coast, how long before natural disasters make those places unaffordable to only the wealthy? The combination of danger and expense will dampen enthusiasm to live in such areas
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Newfie » Sun 07 Jan 2018, 14:57:40

Onlooker
Hey already are unaffordable to mere mortals
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby pstarr » Sun 07 Jan 2018, 15:26:35

KaiserJeep wrote:onlooker, do these properties look abandonned or distressed to you?

https://www.sothebysrealty.com/eng/sales/nantucket-ma-usa

...like I said if you cannot afford the beach, chances are that you are Middle Class and should not be living there anyway. I am Middle Class and I will be living 1/2 mile from the Nantucket shore, in a pine forest with a dirt road, no water or sewer connection, no snow plowing, 4WD required for access.

I know people who have done the same on Martha's Vineyard. It's snowbound, remote, lonely and depressing in the winter. Bring a lot of your favorite libation. The old timers play checkers.
November 2016
pstarr
NeoMaster
NeoMaster

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Sun 07 Jan 2018, 17:02:12

Don't forget I'm married to a Nantucket native. She has so many Portuguese and Norwegian relatives that I can't keep track, and the social life is quite active, and I'm not talking about online social networking, either.

The island is quite peaceful in Winter, compared to the frenetic Summer and tourists. Twice in the 44 years since the USCG sent me there, there were exceptionally cold Winters - the harbor froze, ending Ferry service until the USCG icebreaker arrived, and forming a huge puddle at the end of my dirt road (no drainage ditches or culverts then). Just last year they paved the end of the street, and a gas station/convenience store was built there - a 4WD should be all that is needed, plus a stash of non-perishable food.

I am considering an electric bicycle to enable shopping in spite of Summer traffic. It just might make the Summer tolerable for a few weeks with the Grandkids. A tricycle with a large basket for 3+ bags of groceries would be more practical. Either way there is only one problem, which is how sore your ass gets after riding on cobblestone streets!
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Sun 07 Jan 2018, 18:20:31

KaiserJeep wrote:Don't forget I'm married to a Nantucket native. ....

Either way there is only one problem, which is how sore your ass gets after riding on cobblestone streets!

I remember the cobble stones. We Honey mooned there in 1977. Mopeds were the thing but beyond our budget so we rode around on borrowed bicycles.
We went to Captain Coffins house (then a restaurant) for dinner. The two gay guys that had rented me their over garage apartment told us they had gone there the day before (mother's day 1977) and it was a sea of "blue hair" but the food was excellent as they said and advice well taken.
vtsnowedin
Fission
Fission

Unread postby pstarr » Sun 07 Jan 2018, 19:48:27

KJ, sounds like you have it all dialed in. And very nice :) I'd be there in a wink.
November 2016
pstarr
NeoMaster
NeoMaster

Unread postby ozcad » Sun 07 Jan 2018, 22:24:06

KJ, sounds like you may be well served by:

(Ebay search term): "Snow Beach Sand Fat Mountain Bike"

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2015-WHEELE ... SwVF1aTAvH

I have not ridden one, but I imagine that it should work on cobblestones.
I further imagine that high speed stability (tank-slappers) should be potentially better than conventional mountain-bike suspension, which usually suffers from flexi-fork sliders and sensitivity to microscopic wear on the rear swing-arm bearings.
I yet further imagine that if you only rode on roads you would soon want tyres that were ribbed longitudinally rather than laterally to reduce the "brrrrr" noise.
Going right out on a limb I foolishly imagine that they should be easy to lekky-motorise.

Does anyone have experience with these?
Do the suits manage yet again to ruin a good idea by saving 1 cent too much?
ozcad
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Plantagenet » Sun 07 Jan 2018, 22:34:13

We’ve got the same fat tire bikes in Alaska for riding on snow. They’re harder to pedal then normal bikes and wonky to balance on.

I’d recommend renting one to see if you like the ride before spending the big bucks to buy one.
"Its a brave new world"
---President Obama, 4/25/16
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Wed 20 Jun 2018, 16:04:59

I actually have something different in mind. That would be a recumbent, fat tire tricycle:
...which is available preassembled with an electric motor rear hub conversion:
and https://electricbikereview.com/sun-seeker/fat-tad-electric-trike/
Once the back wheel is equipped with panniers to contain your groceries:
...it's no longer apparent that the motor/battery is present, as long as you leave it in "pedal assist mode" and move your legs.

Here's a video review. Full front/rear spring suspension, fully assembled, up to 46 mile range depending on battery pack option selected. The 4" balloon tires and suspension makes for comfort and seems ideal for my Nantucket place, where I have a 6+ mile round trip to fetch groceries, including an unpaved road and sections of cobblestones interspersed with blacktop and concrete paving.

https://electricbikereview.com/sun-seeker/fat-tad-electric-trike/

Yeah, I know electric is cheating. But I do own a conventional pedal bike and I do use it and take it camping. But on Nantucket, that high pressure, narrow-tired bike is not ideal, I've seen cobblestones destroy conventional bike wheels.

KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Fri 29 Jun 2018, 11:31:39

KJ,

You heard if this?

Meet the founders of Asgardia, the first official space-based nation.

Has “we’ve got to get the hell out of here!” crossed your mind recently, vis-a-vis the Earth? You’re in luck: The universe’s first space nation is officially open for business.

Asgardia, named after the mythical Norse city in the sky, doesn’t have a physical outpost in space yet. But as of this week it does have a prime minister, a parliament, and a population of some 200,000 citizens.

https://www.citylab.com/life/2018/06/br ... ce/563816/
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby KingM » Fri 29 Jun 2018, 12:37:11

Newfie wrote:KJ,
Asgardia, named after the mythical Norse city in the sky, doesn’t have a physical outpost in space yet.

Nor will it ever.
KingM
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Fri 29 Jun 2018, 15:06:52

Newfie, you and Ibon are the two people I correspond with here who have gotten the He!! out of the USA, him in Panama and you on a sailboat. The rest of us are still trying to survive in our country.

KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby jedrider » Fri 29 Jun 2018, 16:38:45

NYC, or Manhattan, at least, won't be abandoned. Since it is built on rock, people will just live up in the air and go building to building on walkways strung between buildings. The rest of NYC will probably have to relocate to New Jersey, though. That's a lot of people. I think they'll be starvation before then, so it won't be such a big problem after all. Wall Street is at the lowest elevation, but we won't need Wall Street by then either! That's a win-win.
jedrider
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Previous

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate