Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Life in a PO world - the year is 2050

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

Re: Life in a PO world - the year is 2050

Unread postby El_Producto » Fri 19 Feb 2016, 10:47:50

Saddam invaded Kuwait because he needed money to pay off his debt from the Iran war, according to the head of Iraqi military intelligence at the time. "When Saddam Hussein spoke he thought that Kuwait was the salvation from the poor economic state that resulted from the war with Iran ." (http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline ... rrai/1.htm) This also influenced him being in favor of higher oil prices, but the other arab countries didn't help him out.

Maybe the US government did have their eyes on Iraq's resources, certainly in the '03 war. But regardless, Saddam was at least as greedy, short sighted, and stupid as they were, lol.
El_Producto
Peat
Peat

Unread postby ennui2 » Fri 19 Feb 2016, 15:03:22

pstarr wrote:Saddam's invasion was no more an act of war then was Britains continuing plunder.

So you endorse the idea of countries just deciding to invade other countries willy nilly as long as they have a suitable rationalization? Maybe Mexico should try to get Texas back? And Hitler would have been OK if he had limited himself to annexing on the basis of Lebensraum?

The fact is that borders shift all the time and if you follow this argument there can never be any peace because the sore losers (even decades or centuries removed) can just say they're righting an old wrong.

Of course, we all know the REAL reason you wrote this apologia of Saddam. Just another opportunity to stick the US/West in the eye.
"If the oil price crosses above the Etp maximum oil price curve within the next month, I will leave the forum." --SumYunGai (9/21/2016)
ennui2
Permanently Banned

Unread postby ennui2 » Fri 19 Feb 2016, 15:51:49

What history's proven is that those who live in the ME are fully capable and willing to keep their region a shithole and poster-child for man's inhumanity to man without any influence from foreign powers. That's not to say people won't find creative ways of pointing the finger at the west ad nauseum, but it's not justified.

https://www.rt.com/news/332919-boy-executed-isis-music/
"If the oil price crosses above the Etp maximum oil price curve within the next month, I will leave the forum." --SumYunGai (9/21/2016)
ennui2
Permanently Banned

Unread postby ennui2 » Fri 19 Feb 2016, 16:57:21

pstarr wrote:So it nothing to do with 200 years of British French and American colonialism? In your opinion the problem is just dumb arabs and evil muslims? For a pork-pie early adaptor you sound a lot like Trump.

You just keep rationalizing why people who like sawing off heads with rusty knives shouldn't be condemned for their actions because...."200 years of colonialism!". I'm sure it makes a great conversation-starter around the dinner table.
ennui2
Permanently Banned

Previous

Return to Peak Oil Discussion