Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Leonardo DiCornucopia's new environmental movie

A forum to either submit your own review of a book, video or audio interview, or to post reviews by others.

Leonardo DiCornucopia's new environmental movie

Unread postby Bas » Fri 02 Nov 2007, 18:41:47

the 11th hour

Not seen it yet myself but I've heard it's a sterilized, happy-ending Hollywood production. Anyone seen it yet, what do you think?
Bas

Re: Leonardo DiCornucopia's new environmental movie

Unread postby Tanada » Thu 10 Jul 2014, 06:57:18

Bas wrote:the 11th hour

Not seen it yet myself but I've heard it's a sterilized, happy-ending Hollywood production. Anyone seen it yet, what do you think?

http://www.warnerbros.com/movies/home-e ... fd389.html

Has anyone given this a viewing? The preview looks like it might be worth seeing.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Thu 10 Jul 2014, 08:08:55

T - I'm not sure it would be. It appears to do a good job of highlighting the problem. So what? Is anyone here unaware of the problems? It makes a clear statement that something should be done and some grandiose ideas are tossed out. But I suspect it ignores one critical issue: the economics.

I would be thrilled to watch a movie that showed PRACTICAL AND DOABLE solutions. I suspect this isn't one of them.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Subjectivist » Thu 10 Jul 2014, 08:34:14

ROCKMAN wrote:T - I'm not sure it would be. It appears to do a good job of highlighting the problem. So what? Is anyone here unaware of the problems? It makes a clear statement that something should be done and some grandiose ideas are tossed out. But I suspect it ignores one critical issue: the economics.

I would be thrilled to watch a movie that showed PRACTICAL AND DOABLE solutions. I suspect this isn't one of them.

Rockman, I suspect everyone has a different idea of what is practical and doable, what programs would you suggest? Not pickng on you but you did say in your opinion economics are the key factor. What do you think we can afford to do and how would you do it?
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Tanada » Thu 10 Jul 2014, 09:12:49

Have any of you seen it? I can't get it on Netflix streaming and I am not about to buy the DVD sight unseen...
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Thu 10 Jul 2014, 12:19:44

I saw it in 2008. It was out of date then, more so now. It was optimistic in tone, if that is your preference. The treatment of many topics was superficial, seldom were metrics used. It produces a vague sense of peril, and a desire for more information.

Most of the symptoms of doom discussed are extreme weather events. Like most "chicken little" warnings, there is no appreciation of the fact that with a planet undergoing exponential human population growth, the rate of reporting of weather events is increasing, entirely independent of whether the average rate of occurrence of such events is increasing, steady state, or in actual decline.

Which pretty much describes the problem with many of the numbers tossed around here at PO. Unrestrained human population growth is the only real environmental issue we face. PO, AGW, and everything else are symptoms of population increase.
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Resistance is Futile, YOU will be Assimilated.

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby timmac » Thu 10 Jul 2014, 13:33:02

Needs to be shown in China, no need for that movie here in America, EPA has already set in motion to destroy any new manufacturing plants and coal plants here already, only thing we need to worry about is the flood of illegals coming across our unguarded borders thanks to Obama tards..

:twisted:
timmac
Permanently Banned

Unread postby timmac » Thu 10 Jul 2014, 13:33:02

Opps double post..
timmac
Permanently Banned

Unread postby americandream » Thu 10 Jul 2014, 15:23:58

timmac wrote:Needs to be shown in China, no need for that movie here in America, EPA has already set in motion to destroy any new manufacturing plants and coal plants here already, only thing we need to worry about is the flood of illegals coming across our unguarded borders thanks to Obama tards..

:twisted:

To paraphrase, America has done its bit to save the planet as the Obama crowd have destroyed American business and are flooding America with coloured folk from Mexico. Show it to the Chinese instead who have stolen our businesses.

Two things are infinite it would seem, the universe and the capacity of some to plumb the depths of idiocy.
americandream
Permanently Banned

Return to Book/Media Reviews