Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Key oil figures were distorted by US pressure-whistleblower

Discuss research and forecasts regarding hydrocarbon depletion.

Re: Key oil figures were distorted by US pressure-whistleblower

Unread postby shortonsense » Sun 15 Nov 2009, 20:42:38

pstarr wrote:"Uppsala Gang?" You apparently coined this term. It is derogatory and does not contribute to this discussion.

Copy cat. Started a new thread yet?
shortonsense
Permanently Banned

Unread postby kpeavey » Sun 15 Nov 2009, 20:43:39

I'm getting older, less tolerant, more cranky, and my blood sugar is probably low. I just dont have the patience for Expletive deleted. that I used to have.

In all the years I've been around this forum, I've only set one other user on IGNORE. Shortonsensel will be the 2nd. Stick that feather in your cap.
Last edited by kpeavey on Mon 16 Nov 2009, 03:12:03, edited 1 time in total.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face--for ever."
-George Orwell, 1984
_____

twenty centuries of stony sleep were vexed to nightmare by a rocking cradle, and what rough beast, its hour come round at last, slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?
-George Yeats
kpeavey
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Keith_McClary » Mon 16 Nov 2009, 00:53:36

shortonsense wrote:-Maybe. Maybe not. The "Uppsala Gang" just put out their own estimate of only 0.5% decline in total liquids a year through 2030.

What on earth does that mean??? Do existing fields decline by only 0.5% ??? What declines by 0.5% ???
Facebook knows you're a dog.
Keith_McClary
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby thuja » Mon 16 Nov 2009, 00:58:13

I wrote this on the other thread but perhaps this shoulc be the new IEA report:

"Gosh we really hoped we would some day achieve 120 million barrels/day. But now that prediction seems a tad reckless. So now we're realy really pinning our hopes on getting to 105 million barrels a day by 2030. But gosh, really we're unsure. So let's just say we might change our minds again. But no way no how the peak is happening now. That's crazy talk...unless of course it isn't. Which we suppose is possible. But really we're hedging our bets against it. I mean we hope its not. Gosh that would suck."
No Soup for You!!
thuja
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby AirlinePilot » Mon 16 Nov 2009, 01:33:33

kpeavey wrote:I'm getting older, less tolerant, more cranky, and my blood sugar is probably low. I just dont have the patience for Expletive deleted. that I used to have. In all the years I've been around this forum, I've only set one other user on IGNORE.
Shortonoil will be the 2nd. Stick that feather in your cap.
You do mean Shortonsense dont you? I dont see Shortonoil in the last ten pages here or so??? Just curious. Shortonoil does not deserve that rap IMHO.
AirlinePilot

Unread postby kpeavey » Mon 16 Nov 2009, 03:14:54

ya, it was Shortonsense trolling that ticked me off. I fixed it.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face--for ever."
-George Orwell, 1984
_____

twenty centuries of stony sleep were vexed to nightmare by a rocking cradle, and what rough beast, its hour come round at last, slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?
-George Yeats
kpeavey
Expert
Expert

Unread postby davep » Mon 16 Nov 2009, 04:08:01

Is it possible to move the squabbling to Short's Argument Thread?
What we think, we become.
davep
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Unread postby dorlomin » Mon 16 Nov 2009, 07:48:42

kpeavey wrote:I'm getting older, less tolerant, more cranky, and my blood sugar is probably low. I just dont have the patience for Expletive deleted. that I used to have. In all the years I've been around this forum, I've only set one other user on IGNORE. Shortonsensel will be the 2nd. Stick that feather in your cap.
He is just an attention Objectionable text deleted., he picks faux controversial positions and argues them to garner attention. Notice how often he derails threads with the same old pish? There is no fundamental logic or progression to his arguments.
dorlomin
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby mos6507 » Mon 16 Nov 2009, 08:44:43

If Shorty had that sort of figure he'd deserve the attention.
mos6507

Unread postby rangerone314 » Mon 16 Nov 2009, 09:51:55

mos6507 wrote:If Shorty had that sort of figure he'd deserve the attention.
My wife even after 3 kids has that kind of figure, and trust me, I give her the attention. :twisted: The only things that really seem to be up for debate is the amount that undeveloped-discovered and undiscovered oil & gas fields can bring to offset the decline in existing fields.

I think the change in focus is interesting. Its like when the emperor has no clothes then the argument changes to "he is not as naked as he seems".

I tend to suspect either an intractably inflexible mindset or a self-interested agenda that overrides truth when someone fights tooth-and-nail to the last every step of the way when the arguments/reasons/stories change.

Other examples would be the reason for invading Iraq WMD/bring democracy etc and tobacco's position of harmfulness of cigarettes.
An ideology is by definition not a search for TRUTH-but a search for PROOF that its point of view is right

Equals barter and negotiate-people with power just take

You cant defend freedom by eliminating it-unknown

Our elected reps should wear sponsor patches on their suits so we know who they represent-like Nascar-Roy
rangerone314
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby dorlomin » Mon 16 Nov 2009, 18:34:17

Monboit (hes a bit grumpy about peak oil, sort of grudgingly accepts its coming) goes to town on the IEA.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree ... wich-board

Peak oil is now pretty much accepted by the british left. My guess is the Times and Economist will be the next two big UK publications to follow the Gruan (and the Independent) to be peakers.
dorlomin
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby mos6507 » Mon 16 Nov 2009, 18:37:16

I don't know why Monbiot gets so much MSM press in the UK since he really is quite the radical, like that discussion about die-off a while back that could have just as well have been Derrick Jensen and Montequest going at it. I really think he is an outlier compared to the rest of the UK press. I'm going to stop adding him to my link portfolio and wait for others to pick up this story.
mos6507

Unread postby Keith_McClary » Tue 17 Nov 2009, 02:39:47

shortonsense wrote:Maybe. Maybe not. The "Uppsala Gang" just put out their own estimate of only 0.5% decline in total liquids a year through 2030.

Colin in 1989 was predicting about 3.5%. Guess who is the most famous resident of the Uppsala Gang, and is like 85% more optimistic?

Did you mean to say "pessimistic"?

Do you mean this "Uppsala Gang"? :

Guardian
I think you are confused about what these percentages represent, can you give a precise definition of what you think they mean. (I doubt you can).
Facebook knows you're a dog.
Keith_McClary
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby shortonsense » Tue 17 Nov 2009, 10:18:18

Keith_McClary wrote:Did you mean to say "pessimistic"? Do you mean this "Uppsala Gang"? :
Its those crazy Swede's!!

And no, I wasn't comparing the Uppsala gang to the IEA, I was comparing Colin Campbell's downslope after Hubberts peak to the Uppsala gang. The IEA is just doing what it and the EIA have been doing for years, slap some stuff on paper, cross your fingers, keep transparency to a minimum, and pretend its going to happen.
shortonsense
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Voice_du_More » Wed 02 Dec 2009, 04:21:33

Jotapay wrote:I can't believe this. I've never seen Time cover a story this fast before, especially one that is so fringe as Peak Oil. This was no whistleblower. It was planned.

Peak Oil has been co-opted now by the MSM and TPTB to push their own agenda. Peak Oil is going to be used to push the carbon/CO2/environment treaty. Your thunder has just been stolen.

Yup, its just another case of the invisible hand scratching other invisible things. The agenda is about to go wrong very wrong however.

Hows things Jotapay?

[7][7][7] Years after the total evaporation of the dollar, as Jeffrey Sachs took the mic before the Senate Committee on Failed Popularizations of Partisan Economic Theories (SCoF PoPET), Senator Joe Biden asked the nobel laureate, 'Mr. Sachs, has the invisible hand ever touched you in a way that made you feel......uncomfortabe? Would you say the invisible hand feels a little alien? Does the person who owns the invisible hand look like this?' At which point the Senator lifted a hand drawn image of ET and with a very serious look pondered, 'You know there has to be something to this Roswell Incident don't you? I mean really, all this UFO stuff since WWII. I read a really good book over break called "Chariots of the Gods" and I think this might explain some of the trouble we have had with tribbles since the Vietnam War. John Kerry is a tribble. Did you know that? Actually he is like a colony of tribbles. 47 of them, but I forget all their names. I used to think he was a Klingon but then...' After scratching his head for a moment and realizing he still had some time at the mic (but not realizing this was committee and not the floor) he opined, 'And there are 48 states in the contiguous US. Your thoughts.'

Back to the OP, my point there is that with the level of insight we hear in a typical committee meeting (forgive me Joe) why do we need conspirators to anything, our own ideology blinds us to almost everything. An evil mouse on a soda can ship in the sewer outside the White House could plot our downfall and we would never know it was George Soros shape shifted to look like a liberal. [btw George Soros is not a liberal he just plays one on tv]

FACT: The whistle that is blowing the loudest has nothing to do with papers released by the IAEIEAEA (ee-i ee-i o).

And no I am not drunk. I no longer drink enough to ever be drunk. No drugs either, it clouds the mind. Rather it is that the irony of where peak oil as an issue is at compared to where this site has floated to is hysterical.

Annie get your gun!
Last edited by Voice_du_More on Wed 02 Dec 2009, 04:54:39, edited 1 time in total.
Voice_du_More
Peat
Peat

Unread postby davep » Wed 02 Dec 2009, 04:48:22

Voice_du_More wrote:
And no I am not drunk. I no longer drink enough to ever be drunk. No drugs either, it clouds the mind.

Shame. At least you would have had an excuse. I can't make head nor tail of your post.
davep
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Unread postby Voice_du_More » Wed 02 Dec 2009, 04:50:34

davep wrote:Shame. At least you would have had an excuse. I can't make head nor tail of your post.
Shame. It's not written on parchment so I know it can be a little hard to get the word pictures.
Voice_du_More
Peat
Peat

Unread postby davep » Wed 02 Dec 2009, 05:11:52

Voice_du_More wrote:Shame. It's not written on parchment so I know it can be a little hard to get the word pictures.
What was it meant to mean though? It just seemed like a weird rant. A calm explanation would be useful for us eejits...
davep
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Peak oil studies, reports & models