Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Just Wait! Who's predicting now?

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

Re: Just Wait! Who's predicting now?

Unread postby americandream » Thu 30 May 2013, 22:54:11

ROCKMAN wrote:ad - "we can only tackle these epic issues collectively". I think you hit the nail right on the head. And there's the problem IMHO: no group can function collectively without leadership. And we do have leadership. Unfortunately it's fractured into various groups which sometimes have counter goals. Perhaps when the POD gets serious enough there will be an effective consolidation. But I have my doubts.

We live in an all immersing social culture that essentially channels us down certain behaviours. Stuff like climate risks and energy limitations that do not conform to the demands of that culture will be largely ignored or presented in an ocean of confusion, and received accordingly. To lift ourselves out of this will be a truly revolutionary effort calling for pure logic. As it is, we are also dogged by primitive impulses and fears...and our social economy is not equipped to take us past these behaviour patterns. However, like you said, crises may be a trigger mechanism. Crises have always triggered an amazing resilience in us. So who knows what the future holds. Provided of course, we do not pass a tipping threshold in which case we are pretty much done.
americandream
Permanently Banned

Previous

Return to Peak Oil Discussion