Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

ISSA Cargo orbit failure

For discussions of events and conditions not necessarily related to Peak Oil.

Re: Russia/Ukraine Crisis Pt. 11

Unread postby Sixstrings » Wed 29 Apr 2015, 00:22:43

Some random Russia news. Contact lost with the Russian cargo ship bound for the space station:

Lost in space: Russia tries to contact Progress spacecraft on ISS mission

Russia will again try to make contact with an unmanned cargo ship after communications were lost following the spacecraft’s launch toward the International Space Station.

The Progress capsule is circling the Earth in radio silence, carrying three tons of food and supplies for the astronauts living at the ISS.

None of the equipment on board was critical for the US segment of the ISS, and the astronauts have plenty of provisions, enough to last for months, officials at Nasa said.
http://www.theguardian.com/science/2015/apr/29/russia-tries-to-make-radio-contact-with-progress-spacecraft-on-iss-mission

It's good that SpaceX is all ramped up. Knock on wood, they've had no delivery failures yet. And ULA is getting closed to having their launch vehicle ready.

If it weren't for SpaceX -- just supplying our astronauts would be very precarious, right now. We had no other domestic launch vehicles at the time. And sh*t just happens, even well experienced Roscosmos has accidents and there goes three tons of food and supplies.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Tanada » Wed 29 Apr 2015, 07:53:45

The cargo modual is tumbling in space making it very difficult or impossible for ground control to stabilize and guide the vessel. If they can not regain control the 2.7 tons of cargo becomes space debris and will eventually deorbit from atmospheric drag. Because of the high mass of the ship any collisions with other orbiting objects will transfer a lot of impact energy.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby dissident » Wed 29 Apr 2015, 19:15:30

How is the cargo module problem related to Ukraine in any shape or form?

I think totally off topic thread posts should be deleted. No need to ban or penalize the troll, just prevent thread pollution.
dissident
Expert
Expert

ISSA Cargo orbit failure

Unread postby Tanada » Wed 29 Apr 2015, 22:00:29

The Russian Space Agency has officially declared the Progress M-27M spacecraft lost on Wednesday after repeated attempts to regain control of the vehicle were without fruition. Progress M-27M, loaded with 2,357 Kilograms of supplies for the International Space Station, lost a number of its onboard systems shortly after launch on Tuesday leading to an uncontrolled tumbling motion on the spacecraft, ultimately ending the mission due to the vehicle’s inability to communicate with the ground and failures in several critical onboard systems.

The Progress itself remains in a passive state, orbiting the Earth just over 200 Kilometers in altitude and remaining in a spinning motion. Without any chance of controlling the spacecraft from the ground, Mission Control will only be able to watch the slow drop of the craft towards the dense layers of the atmosphere leading up to an uncontrolled re-entry. It is still too early to issue any firm re-entry predictions, but basic orbital propagation puts the re-entry of the 7,289-Kilogram spacecraft around May 10 (+/-3 Days).

http://www.spaceflight101.com/progress- ... dates.html

On the one hand seeing it reenter and mostly burn up would be the most spectacular man made space event I am liable to ever see. On the other hand there is no way of accurately predicting where in its flight path it will come down. Scandinavia, Iceland, Greenland and Alaska are safe in my hemisphere, it doesn't go far enough north to threaten them. The odds of anyone actually being hurt are vanishingly small, but Earth more crowded every day so sooner or later one of these things will hit somebody.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Sixstrings » Wed 29 Apr 2015, 22:44:52

Tanada wrote:The cargo modual is tumbling in space making it very difficult or impossible for ground control to stabilize and guide the vessel. If they can not regain control the 2.7 tons of cargo becomes space debris and will eventually deorbit from atmospheric drag. Because of the high mass of the ship any collisions with other orbiting objects will transfer a lot of impact energy.

Any guesses on what went wrong with it?

To be fair, I should note that all launch vehicles have a failure percentage. If you look at any launch system there has ever been, then there's just a x % number of failures. I looked that up one time and forget the number, but there's a range where if you're within that, then you actually can't expect better.

So in fairness that should be noted. Proton, Progress, and Soyuz are old and have been going for a very long time and overall they have failures but the percentage is in the good range.

Someone like a SpaceX will need to operate for a few years to get an idea whether they've got a better failure margin going, or not, with their systems. (Their testing failures don't count, that's R&D)

And yes this is off topic to this thread, I should have found one of the general THE space threads.

By the way I was watching ISS videos the other night. It really is pretty cool -- I watched old vids when the station was newer, astronauts showing off the American sections. Those are future-ish and sterile and bright white and open. (and now they too look old, they look like stuff from the 90s -- the Japanese and European modules are nice though, overall it's a darn cool station and pretty big now)

Then they go into the Russian sections and it's like stepping into a Russian submarine. Smaller round hatches, that odd green hospitalish paint you see a lot in east Europe. However, the Russian sections have a "homey" feel to them and are more cozy.

The videos said that Russia sends up half the space food, then the US sends up the other half, and when there are esa astronauts, then Europe provides their food. And then it's up to the astronauts however much they want to share food.

Russian space food is still in tin cans, without even pop top openers, and you have to use a can opener.

Youtube's a trip, you start watching one thing then it just leads to a bunch of other things. Apparently, the best space food there's ever been was actually on the old Skylab. That was the only space vehicle to ever have frozen dinners, and they had these cool trays where you put your tv dinners in the slots on the tray then just flip a switch and the tray heated the food.

Current US space food are in capri-sun like pouches. Shelf-stable commercial grade things, repackaged, vacuum sealed. Or "canned," so thermal / pressure preserved but using a pouch instead of a can. And then "irradiated" meat, making it shelf stable.

There are no refridgerators or freezers on the ISS, so everything has to be pantry room temp stuff. Then they can heat a pouch or hydrate dehydrated food, with hot water.

You can't have salt and pepper in space since that would get everywhere -- so what they do is, they have an oil that's infused with pepper. And for salt, they have bottles of very salty water and you add that to the food.

ISS actually has been a success over the years. The first Russian module is the backup emergency go-to in case of any depressurization or fire or toxic spill, or other emergency. That module has everything needed to survive.

The Russian space gear is all very old.. and looks old.. you put a Soyuz next to a SpaceX dragon and they may as well be a Tesla and a Yugo. But -- the Russian stuff has history, a long track record, and generally it's very safe and works.

The Soyuz -- from what I saw astronauts say, anyway -- feels like a car crash when it hits the ground. There's amazing engineering to the entire Soyuz system, it's cool as well, but still -- it's time to go forward. Something new, beyond 1960s and 70s tech.

When spacex gets all the kinks worked out, the Dragon will truly soft land, using all retro rockets, and the chutes are for backup emergency only.

Really, most of space tech is very old by now. The old space shuttle actually had a crappy 1970s computer on it (maybe they upgraded that toward the end, can't remember), and one of today's smartphones has more computing power than the entire shuttle.

The space suits are old. They need redesigned, updated. SpaceX is working on its own space suit. Musk says it has to be the best functionally and also LOOK like a 21st century space suit. (the current eva suits do need redesigned, there have now been two incidents of water filling up the helmets, threatening to drown the astronaut)

The thing about using old tech -- one factor with this, is that when engineers find something that WORKS and get all kinks worked out, then they are VERY reluctant to ever change anything just for the sake of updating or adding features. Because if you "fix something that ain't broke" on one little thing, that can impact the whole thing, and one secrewup in space can mean disaster for everything.

Having said that, all this stuff is old old tech and designs, and does need updated.

It's pretty sad we haven't done anything so great, since the shuttle. That shuttle never was a true "shuttle," it cost a fortune, and its track record proved it to be an unacceptably unsafe design over the long term. But still, it sure was amazing. Now we're all just back to these capsule craft. That shuttle was working SPACE PLANE -- with huge massive cargo bay, and so cool. And the shuttle allowed for some amazing things, like the Hubble repairs and then upgrades, that a capsule can't ever do.

Sorry for the space rant.

P.S. there is no "cold war" on the ISS, anyway. NASA puts Russian labels on all the American space food, even though that requirement from the 90s is no longer in effect, but they still just do it anyway.

3 tons of food are lost with this Progress spinning out of control, but, there's many months worth of food stored up there on the ISS and they'll be alright.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby AgentR11 » Thu 30 Apr 2015, 00:31:58

My space rant reply then...

Russian stuff looks old, clunky, durable, strong, reliable, and solid.
Space-X/21st cen nasa stuff looks bright, white, slick, futuristic, and fragile.

Space is the most brutal, unforgiving, ruthless, terrifying environment humans come close to. I know what I want between me and death.

Yeah, we can make it work, throw enough money at an idea and you can make almost anything work. I've feared for a long time, really since I got my head around the numbers, that we killed the future of US space exploration when we built and flew the shuttle despite understanding that there did not exist a more impractical, expensive way to go to and build stuff in LEO. The Soviets built one, 'keepin up with the Jones'' as it were, but it didn't derail their exploration program; China won't build one at all; and the air force finally got what they really wanted with the much smaller, unmanned X37. I don't know if China or Russia will build a mini-shuttle, it may not really fit into their strategic needs very well.

In the long game of space exploration, I think China and Russia together have it in the bag. I'd even go so far as to bet the first footprint left on Mars will be Chinese; and he'll be on a "Go and Stay" mission; not, "Go and Safely Return". Our obsession with flashy sci-fi looks, and this idea that an explorer must RETURN, dooms any Mars+ mission before it even gets off the drawing board. (nb... I'm not a big *fan* of manned exploration of space, but that's a different argument).

BTW, as to your assertion about Hubble needing the shuttle?? Its no problem to launch a space telescope on a heavy lift rocket; and you most certainly can do on orbit servicing from a capsule/service module. Its kinda a dumb trick though if you ask me. Space robotics win because we are ok with them dieing and being safely de-orbited or parked high. They have short, useful lives, and are then replaced by a better robot. Its the science that should hold the fascination and emotion, not the bolts and gears of an expendable, replaceable tool.

Unlike in irobot or galactica or star wars... robots really are just toasters.
Yes we are, as we are,
And so shall we remain,
Until the end.
AgentR11
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Re: ISSA Cargo orbit failure

Unread postby Tanada » Thu 30 Apr 2015, 11:02:34

The Russian Space Agency has officially declared the Progress M-27M spacecraft lost on Wednesday after repeated attempts to regain control of the vehicle were without fruition. Progress M-27M, loaded with 2,357 Kilograms of supplies for the International Space Station, lost a number of its onboard systems shortly after launch on Tuesday leading to an uncontrolled tumbling motion on the spacecraft, ultimately ending the mission due to the vehicle’s inability to communicate with the ground and failures in several critical onboard systems.

The Progress itself remains in a passive state, orbiting the Earth just over 200 Kilometers in altitude and remaining in a spinning motion. Without any chance of controlling the spacecraft from the ground, Mission Control will only be able to watch the slow drop of the craft towards the dense layers of the atmosphere leading up to an uncontrolled re-entry. It is still too early to issue any firm re-entry predictions, but basic orbital propagation puts the re-entry of the 7,289-Kilogram spacecraft around May 10 (+/-3 Days).

http://www.spaceflight101.com/progress- ... dates.html

On the one hand seeing it reenter and mostly burn up would be the most spectacular man made space event I am liable to ever see. On the other hand there is no way of accurately predicting where in its flight path it will come down. Scandinavia, Iceland, Greenland and Alaska are safe in my hemisphere, it doesn't go far enough north to threaten them. The odds of anyone actually being hurt are vanishingly small, but Earth more crowded every day so sooner or later one of these things will hit somebody.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby ennui2 » Thu 30 Apr 2015, 11:12:53

With a news item like this it's probably not the right context in which to praise Russian space engineering. Their overall track record is good compared to the US but they have their own set of problems.
"If the oil price crosses above the Etp maximum oil price curve within the next month, I will leave the forum." --SumYunGai (9/21/2016)
ennui2
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Sixstrings » Thu 30 Apr 2015, 11:15:59

It should just mostly burn up, no? How big is the thing?

Air Force space threat command is watching it though. Apparently its orbit passes over the US and Canada. I wonder why nobody has already figured out a range for where it will come down at.

Air force may shoot it down, though no plans as yet, but I guess that's a test and a use for the aegis missile shield that the Russians don't like us having, well now here comes their spinning spacecraft and 3 tons of toxic fuel (and do we actually even KNOW for sure what its cargo is?) and the proton rocket upper stage and a bunch of debris trailing it too, just a big hot mess headed our way and all Moscow says is "the Progress will not be docking with the space station."

Well thank goodness we have a missile shield, nyet?

A private space tracking website shows that Progress’ flight path regularly passes over the northern United States and Canada.

A defense official told the Washington Free Beacon that military commanders are aware of the potential threat posed by spacecraft. However, the official said so far there has been no immediate discussion of plans to shoot the craft down before it enters the atmosphere.

An Air Force Space Command spokesman said the craft is expected to reenter on May 9 at around 1:30 P.M. ET.

Another concern is that some 44 pieces of debris are also moving near the satellite and the upper stage of the rocket body that delivered the craft into orbit. The Air Force said it did not know if the debris is from the rocket body or the vehicle itself.

In Moscow, Igor Komarov director of the Russian space agency, told reporters that the Progress-M 27M spacecraft, launched from the Baikonur cosmodrome in Kazakhstan on Tuesday, is a loss and would not dock with the Space Station. The craft malfunctioned for an unknown reason after reaching orbit, he said.

The resupply craft was carrying food and fuel for astronauts on the orbiting Space Station. Its mission cost $51 million.
http://freebeacon.com/national-security/air-force-watching-falling-russian-satellite/

This stuff could hit someone, they ought to blow the stuff up and make the debris smaller.

The 2008 operation to destroy the NRO satellite used the anti-satellite missile to target the fuel tanks on the spacecraft and dissipate is load of 1,000 pounds of hydrazine fuel that U.S. officials said posed a danger to people on land.

The modified SM-3 missile was launched Feb. 21, 2008, from a Navy missile cruiser and hit the satellite before reentry, some 153 miles above the Pacific Ocean.

The satellite was traveling at around 17,500 miles per hour. The debris from the satellite burned up in the atmosphere.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Sixstrings » Thu 30 Apr 2015, 11:43:54

I guess the progress is an unmanned Soyuz?

Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Tanada » Thu 30 Apr 2015, 11:53:04

It is all a matter of timing Six, if you shoot it too soon then some of the debris from the explosion will get boosted higher and last longer. Ideally you want to shoot it as it is undergoing reentry so all the pieces burn up right away. Because it masses 2700 kg and is about 7 meters long there is a remote chance some of it will make it all the way to the ground just like the Columbia pieces did after it broke up over Texas. Most of that mass is easily combustible things like rocket fuel, food and clothing. Some of it is spare parts or scientific experiments that are tougher.

With no control of the Progress they can not guide it to land in the ocean, its pretty random. The only way to intercept it with little risk of pushing debris into a higher orbit is to hit it from above and in front of its flight path so that debris is forced lower and slower. Very hard to so that with a ground based hit, you would have to track it precisely and send your kill vehicle on a high arc so it doesn't target until on the way down. It could be done, but no one has developed the technology to do that yet. Look at the mess the Chinese anti-satellite test made a few years ago scattering debris higher in orbit instead of knocking everything down. There was a proposal over a decade ago to deploy what was essentially a weather balloon filled with foam in an opposing orbit for this sort of situation, in theory the foam would absorb the impact without making a huge number of small fragments out of both vehicles and because they would be in opposing orbits the debris would lose orbital velocity and fall into the atmosphere.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Tanada » Sat 09 May 2015, 00:06:48

For anyone still paying attention she came down last night about 10:20 PM EDT around 51 Degrees South, 137 Degrees West a few hundred miles from the coast of Chile in the Pacific Ocean.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Sixstrings » Sat 09 May 2015, 03:53:26

Tanada wrote:For anyone still paying attention she came down last night about 10:20 PM EDT around 51 Degrees South, 137 Degrees West a few hundred miles from the coast of Chile in the Pacific Ocean.

Thanks for the update, well that's good news, it didn't land on anybody.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby AgentR11 » Sat 06 Jun 2015, 00:53:29

As a follow on
http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2015/06/russia-surprise-soyuz-2-1a-launch-kobalt-m/
"Russia conducts surprise Soyuz 2-1A launch carrying Kobalt-M"; same rocket involved with the failure mentioned in this thread.

Mission is just a recon satellite, last of the film-return type. Might just be an opportunistic followup; put up a satellite that can take really irrefutable images of a certain Eastern European hellhole, and demonstrate the Soyuz itself is fine at the same time. Just it being up there might be enough to keep the monkey business slightly tamped down for a bit.

It also demonstrates something about spaceflight that the startrek kiddies just don't get.

Getting into just low Earth orbit is spectacularly difficult, subject to eliminating thousands of unique and sometimes unexpected sources of error. When we lost a shuttle, it was because a piece of rubber got just a little bit too cold. One little piece of rubber. In this instance, object A(progress) vibrated in just the wrong frequency as object B(soyuz), leading to mission failure. As they had never been mated, it was essentially an unknowable. Granted, with a non-critical, non-living cargo, you can launch with an unknowable... sometimes such a launch goes boom.

Fantasies of gallivanting across the galaxy or even solar system are so far outside our technological capabilities as to be barely imaginable. Right now, we have a little camera approaching pluto, its the fastest thing ever launched, and it has taken nearly a decade to get there, and each course correction maneuver (aka turn on da rocket, followed by turn off da rocket) was calculated, modeled, retested, recalculated, recalculated; and then with millions of dollars on the line, someone said, OK, that math is right. Execute. And the engine turned on for a bit, and then turned off. The result, if bad, would be by definition barely noticeable, uncorrectable, and fatal. The descriptions they use to describe the accuracy requirements are so extreme that the significance of what they report is just piled in with more startrek technobabble, and becomes meaningless.

Space flight is hard; harder than any other thing humans try, with just the tiniest of steps forward taking our full effort and every bit of technology we can bring to bear.

Its not something you can just throw money at, or buy a ticket for.
Yes we are, as we are,
And so shall we remain,
Until the end.
AgentR11
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Return to Geopolitics & Global Economics