Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Is the TAP on its way or it's just a dummy project?

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

Is the TAP on its way or it's just a dummy project?

Unread postby stanleyoulsen » Fri 03 Mar 2017, 08:43:18

Here is the deal. Azerbaijan really wants to be Europe's energy supplier and that's why it started the TAP project. At the moment it stuck in Italy because local authorities defend the olive trees that will be destroyed if the pipe goes through Apulia.
https://topbuzz.com/@kellylogan/trans-adriatic-pipeline-project-stalled-as-italian-apulia-stays-uncooperative-BAJAysXxqlg
As for me, I believe the construction delay will significantly increase the cost of the whole project and that is not good for the consumers and investors. So what Azerbaijan will do next? Is that project alive or it will repeat the fate of the Nabucco?
stanleyoulsen
Wood
Wood

Re: Is the TAP on its way or it's just a dummy project?

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Mon 10 Apr 2017, 12:25:56

And speaking of local opposition to NG pipelines:

Italy Court Halts TAP Pipeline Work In Italy

Reuters - An Italian administrative court has halted work to remove olive trees standing in the path of a strategic pipeline that will bring central Asian gas into Europe, in a move that could further delay the project, a document showed. The court accepted a request by the regional government of Italy's southern Apulia region to suspend permits allowing developers to remove the trees.

The Trans Adriatic Pipeline (TAP), the end piece of the $40 billion Southern Gas Corridor, is slated to bring 10 billion cubic metres of gas from Azerbaijan into the small Italian seaside town of San Foca in Apulia by 2020. But opposition from the local town council and the regional authority has caused delays and raised some concerns about it being re-routed. Last week a top Italian court gave the green light to building the pipeline."

And no doubt those uprooted olive trees will prove to be the most expensive ones in Italy...if not in the entire Med region. LOL. Just a guess but given it's a $40 BILLION project I suspect they can easily absorb the tree damage bill.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Mon 10 Apr 2017, 12:48:18

They should just directional bore underneath the olive orchards and leave the trees be.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Mon 10 Apr 2017, 17:28:10

vt - I've done more then a few road bores. They could give the tree owners 100 years of revenue from those trees and it would still be cheaper then boring.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby sparky » Mon 10 Apr 2017, 18:58:12

The Southern gas corridor is one of the piece of Europe pipeline-istan geopolitics ,
international gas trading is Very important in Europe , plenty of angst about it

there also is the fact that Italy PSV gas hub price are some of the most corrupt of Europe
with price jumps based on supply restrictions by the operator ,Snam Rete Gas ,

it's a golden goose which keep giving .
should the gas be plentiful , price ( and profit margins ) would be under pressure
sparky
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Mon 10 Apr 2017, 19:08:12

ROCKMAN wrote:vt - I've done more then a few road bores. They could give the tree owners 100 years of revenue from those trees and it would still be cheaper then boring.
Depends on the dirt and how deep it is of course but I've done a couple of jobs where the whole job was done directional bore for cheaper then open trench because of the reduced need of restoring the surface. Put in a mile of water line with fifty house connections with just a 6x6x6 foot pit at each house at the sidewalk and just five ton of asphalt after crossing state highways four times. The public relations of drilling under the sacred Elm tree in front of the "Elm house" without cutting a single root was probably worth $20K. The same company on another site open trenched ninety percent of it because it was rocky and only directional bored underneath two wetland culvert crossings to avoid the permit issues and disturbing the old and very tender culverts which were in a "You break it you Bought it" situation.
Gas lines don't need to be at precise grade like a sewer line and plastic pipe up to 48 inch can be installed with directional bore so would be a good alternative to holding up a project because of a sacred olive grove.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Tue 11 Apr 2017, 13:03:06

Gas - Good info...thanks. Another important factor: when I've done road bores the equipment typically came from 100 miles away...or less. Where would the pipeline bore equipment come from: locally, in Italy, from overseas? I would think some is in-country. But it many small jobs the mobilization and demob can be proportionally rather large.

Last time I saw an floating drill rig mobed from Africa to Brazil it cost $54 MILLION. LOL.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Tue 11 Apr 2017, 13:56:37

Where would the pipeline bore equipment come from: locally, in Italy, from overseas?

Call Ditchwitch.
https://www.ditchwitch.com/sites/defaul ... T100-2.pdf
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Tue 11 Apr 2017, 16:55:02

GASMON wrote:
This is interesting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWU8qaHdNYI

Gas

I've worked with an Akkerman machine. Great on dirt and gravels but could not cut through granite boulders placed in a tight fill with a D8 back in the 60's.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Return to Peak Oil Discussion