Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Is the American Era over?

For discussions of events and conditions not necessarily related to Peak Oil.

Is the American Era over?

Unread postby Denny » Sun 18 May 2008, 10:41:13

Yes, according to this Arab-Canadian Toronto Star columnist.

See Why Obama has stirred the American soul

I have to say, there are so many parallels between the U.S. and the British Empire of old. It sometimes seems that so much that used to great about America's economy and its military in terms of organization and commitment seems to have fallen down in the past generation. The zeal has gone. Innovation gone. Leadership gone, replaced by yes men (and women, these days). It reminds me of how post war Canada came to see the British as washed up, even though we were a part of the British Commonwealth.

As Siddiqui says in the column:

"The American era is over," said someone last year in Doha, the capital of pro-American Qatar.

"How so?" I argued. "The U.S. is still the only superpower."

"A military power and a great killing machine, yes, but not much else," he said. "We maintain our relations with the U.S. but our thinking is now post-American."

Their outlook is, of course, coloured by Iraq and Afghanistan. But it is not all ideological. They wonder why the U.S., despite spending $700 billion in those two countries, has been incapable of providing clean water, electricity, security and essentials of life. Why it couldn't do so even for its own citizens post-Katrina. Why its soldiers and army of private contractors are so incompetent."

Denny
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Re: Is the American Era over?

Unread postby Cashmere » Sun 18 May 2008, 12:05:30

Their outlook is, of course, coloured by Iraq and Afghanistan. But it is not all ideological. They wonder why the U.S., despite spending $700 billion in those two countries, has been incapable of providing clean water, electricity, security and essentials of life. Why it couldn't do so even for its own citizens post-Katrina. Why its soldiers and army of private contractors are so incompetent."

There is always some rat in the corner waiting for the lion to fall so he may be able to get a nibble more than usual.

No different here.

Yes, the U.S. is on the decline, but to think, "it's over" is premature. The rat needs to be careful, least he be shown how easy it is to kill rats.

With nothing else but the military, the U.S. calls the shots into the near future. What happens in 50 years? Who knows. But for today and tomorrow and the next day, the rats will have to wait some more.

They wonder why the U.S., despite spending $700 billion in those two countries, has been incapable of providing clean water, electricity, security and essentials of life.

They're idiots, as rats often are, if they're too stupid to see that the Empire is not in those two countries to play nanny.

"Why it couldn't do so even for its own citizens post-Katrina."

Of course it could - it chose not to. Why is a different conversation. At the end of the day, the total death toll was a paltry 1,800. How many of the 1,800 could have been saved if the entire U.S. army arrived 10 minutes after the storm? Probably very few.

What made Katrina different was images of thousands of poor black people in the Superdome for a week. They didn't starve, they didn't die of thirst. The worst that can be said was that they lived in more-than-usual squalor for a few days.

In the end, I couldn't give a shit less about people who were . . .
1. Dumb enough to live below sea level on the coast in Hurricane Alley.

and

2. Dumb enough not to leave when the storm passed over Florida and was predicted to hit near New Orleans a full 2 days in advance of land fall.

So, IMO, the whole Katrina thing was overblown and just gave a great reason to blast the moron-in-chief more than usual.

Of all the things he's done poorly and that have hurt the country, the response to Katrina is not even on my list.

So tell the rats that.

You want to see a disorganized response leading to more death . .

See Thailand, Myanmar, China.

The Empire is declining . . . but there's a long way to go before it smacks the ground completely.

Jeez - the Byzantines hung around, like, forever.
Massive Human Dieoff <b>must</b> occur as a result of Peak Oil. Many more than half will die. It will occur everywhere, including where <b>you</b> live. If you fail to recognize this, then your odds of living move toward the "going to die" group.
Cashmere
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby vision-master » Sun 18 May 2008, 12:35:11

Fixed:

1. [s]Dumb[/s] Poor enough to live below sea level on the coast in Hurricane Alley.

and

2. [s]Dumb[/s] Poor enough not to leave when the storm passed over Florida and was predicted to hit near New Orleans a full 2 days in advance of land fall.
vision-master

Unread postby mmasters » Sun 18 May 2008, 12:39:40

It soon will be yes.
mmasters
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Homesteader » Sun 18 May 2008, 12:59:51

Cashmere wrote:
The Empire is declining . . . but there's a long way to go before it smacks the ground completely.

Jeez - the Byzantines hung around, like, forever.

Cash,

I would suggest that the "forever" of today is a blink of an eye compared to the "forever" of of yesteryear. Technology has sped up the progression of events exponentially.
Homesteader
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby RedStateGreen » Sun 18 May 2008, 13:41:52

vision-master wrote:Fixed:

1. [s]Dumb[/s] Poor enough to live below sea level on the coast in Hurricane Alley.

and

2. [s]Dumb[/s] Poor enough not to leave when the storm passed over Florida and was predicted to hit near New Orleans a full 2 days in advance of land fall.

The thing about Katrina was that if the levees hadn't broken it would have been a non-issue. The Army Corps of Engineers in their incompetence were the ones who killed all those people.
efarmer wrote:"Taste the sizzling fury of fajita skillet death you marauding zombie goon!"

First thing to ask: Cui bono?
RedStateGreen
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby JPL » Sun 18 May 2008, 18:12:38

Denny wrote:Yes, according to this Arab-Canadian Toronto Star columnist.

I have to say, there are so many parallels between the U.S. and the British Empire of old. It sometimes seems that so much that used to great about America's economy and its military in terms of organization and commitment seems to have fallen down in the past generation. The zeal has gone. Innovation gone. Leadership gone, replaced by yes men (and women, these days). It reminds me of how post war Canada came to see the British as washed up, even though we were a part of the British Commonwealth.

"The American era is over," said someone last year in Doha, the capital of pro-American Qatar.

"A military power and a great killing machine, yes, but not much else," he said. "We maintain our relations with the U.S. but our thinking is now post-American."

Worth pointing out that the British Empire lasted 300 years and included most of the planet (at least those parts that mattered). The North American colonies were not re-enforced during the revolution because it was considered a minor matter compared to the issue of potentially loosing India to the French.

The French gave military help to G. Washington including a naval blocade which eventually starved the British out. The siege of New York was (famously) broken by the French garrison & due credits followed...

Meanwhile Britain had already consolidated in Canada and broken out of Madras to rout the French out of southern India (& subsequently out of most of Asia).

The rest, as one says, is history.

BTW Iraq was run as a minor British protectorate up until the mid-20'th century along with other scattered territories in the Middle East including Yeman, Egypt, Palestine etc.

We made the phones & the water & railways work in most cases across the world, & also handled minor insurrections from South Africa to Australia without too many problems.

The British withdrawal was a bit chatoic in places but most of the countries we left behind us are still (semi) functional democracies with a strong national identity & still participate in that collective group of nations called the 'British Commenwealth'.

So what is this 'American Era (Empire?)' people speak of???

JP
JPL
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Fishman » Sun 18 May 2008, 18:31:50

JPL
My applause to the Brits, I lived in one of those colonies for a period and you are exactly right.
I don't think the US is at its final gasps, they said the same during the Vietnam era. And that comment coming out of Qatar is hilarious, if we stepped out of that area for a brief pause, or withdraw to our own shores, the middle east would reduce itself to rubble in a manner of years. If there is a worldwide decline at least we'll be able to feed ourselves.
Katrina, sorry, Core of Engineers doesn't build perfect, Class 5 Hurricane resistant levees, they never will, especially for below sea level cities, suck it up. They are not responsible for the idiots that remained behind. Sorry Vision master, but repeatedly electing a mayor who lets buses get drowned is a symptom of stupid, not poverty.
Fishman
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Pops » Sun 18 May 2008, 19:19:06

This was the new world, we had lots of resources, which we exploited for a profit.

We exploited oil and were for a while the leading producer.

Now we are not, just the leading debtor.

So what do we do now?
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby americandream » Sun 18 May 2008, 19:30:54

Denny wrote:Yes, according to this Arab-Canadian Toronto Star columnist.

The US was always a train headed for this inevitable wreck, with the rest of the world being dragged along. No society, no matter how innovative, will survive with a culture based on individualism and the nuclear family to the exclusion of the collective, with irrational beliefs such as ethnocentrism and religion and with the notion that the market above all reigns supreme. The current generation of American and increasingly, the rest of the world are in thrall off all the values that have been ascendent with the fall of the collective. I'm sorry to have to tell you that America and now the rest of the world is precisely where it is meant to be given the choices we have made in choosing corporate free markets over common sustainable development.

To be frank I am depressed by the certain realisation that we are headed for a massive catastrophe on this planet, one that whilst it may be no more than a blip in terms of this planets overall integrity as one of the constituent planets of our solar system, will be devastating for us as a species, and many of our silent fellow planetary dwellers.

Our technology offered us the potential to make a utopia for ourselves on this exquisitely beautiful planet, and we blew it....all for what, big steel boxes on round rubber tyres and other rather ugly toys.

Pity.
americandream
Permanently Banned

Unread postby JPL » Sun 18 May 2008, 19:35:45

Pops wrote:This was the new world, we had lots of resources, which we exploited for a profit.

So what do we do now?

Well you've already had your revolution so I guess that's out of the question.

The resource base is still pretty good & there is a low population level so things can be fixed up OK. Also the social resources are there.

I think in 20 years time the USA, after the financial & post-oil industrial collapse, will still be a food exporter & a world power on maybe the scale that Brazil is today. A regional power, with an odd & interesting history.

There is nothing in this future to be ashamed about, & possibly a lot to look forward to. You never know...

JP
JPL
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Denny » Sun 18 May 2008, 19:41:58

Pops wrote:This was the new world, we had lots of resources, which we exploited for a profit.

So what do we do now?

Strange, the things celebrated not so long ago are now seen as the seeds of doom. This is an excerpt from the speech given by Preident Dwight D. Eisenhower at the opeining of th4e St. Lawrence Seqway in 1959:

"This waterway, linking the oceans of the world with the Great Lakes of the American continent, is the culmination of the dreams of thousands of individuals on both sides of our common Canadian-United States border. It is the latest event in a long history of peaceful parallel progress by our two peoples.

Side by side we have grown up together. Long ago we found solutions for many of the problems characteristic of pioneering peoples. We have built nations out of vast stretches of virgin territory and transformed a wilderness into one of the most productive areas on earth. We are still developing better means of production and communication and supporting measures needed for the welfare of our respective peoples. "

See

The American Presidency Project
Denny
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby americandream » Sun 18 May 2008, 19:47:08

JPL wrote:

So what do we do now?

The resource base is still pretty good & there is a low population level so things can be fixed up OK. Also the social resources are there.

I think in 20 years time the USA, after the financial & post-oil industrial collapse, will still be a food exporter & a world power on maybe the scale that Brazil is today. A regional power, with an odd & interesting history.

There is nothing in this future to be ashamed about, & possibly a lot to look forward to. You never know...

JP

Cornucopianism is like a drug addiction. Not only has it afflicted the US, but now also the entire globe. I suspect that we will see a bumpy plateau of apathy as countries intent on replicating the American dream such as China, Russia and places such as Dubai, press on headlong to preserve and maintain the markets mechanisms created by free market corporate America. No country stands alone any longer.
americandream
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Kingcoal » Sun 18 May 2008, 19:50:20

It all depends on Americans. If they keep on electing incompetents, then the nation will fade. America's strength has always been it's immigrants, it's tradition of offering hope to those looking for a new and better life. Right now, America has an image problem and that needs to be fixed.
"That's the problem with mercy, kid... It just ain't professional" - Fast Eddie, The Color of Money
Kingcoal
Expert
Expert

Unread postby americandream » Sun 18 May 2008, 20:07:12

Kingcoal wrote:It all depends on Americans. If they keep on electing incompetents, then the nation will fade. America's strength has always been it's immigrants, it's tradition of offering hope to those looking for a new and better life. Right now, America has an image problem and that needs to be fixed.

Americans can take some satisfaction though in the knowledge that the American era is alve and kicking all across the globe, from St Petersburg to Beijing.
americandream
Permanently Banned

Unread postby JPL » Sun 18 May 2008, 20:23:51

americandream wrote:
JPL wrote:

So what do we do now?

JP

Cornucopianism is like a drug addiction. Not only has it afflicted the US, but now also the entire globe. I suspect that we will see a bumpy plateau of apathy as countries intent on replicating the American dream such as China, Russia and places such as Dubai, press on headlong to preserve and maintain the markets mechanisms created by free market corporate America. No country stands alone any longer.

You are trying to make your personal world-view expand so big that it encompasses everything. Wheras the truth is that most of us out here no longer care about what you lot do.

Sorry, but that's the truth. The American Dream faded 20 years ago & most of us 'out here' never knew what it was about anyhow.

JP
JPL
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Denny » Mon 19 May 2008, 16:22:23

GASMON wrote:Its a bugger, running the world, as the Romans, us Brits and now the Americans will testify.

Problem is (& was), nobody will do as they are told. (!!!!!!)

Gasmon

I think that is really one of the big probhlems with having an empire. Whatever the origninal intent of the norms imposed by the mother country, the colonies always end up wanting to do their own thing. The Americans broke off becuase they chafed under the restrictions imposed by Britain for westward expansion and taxation to support the very troops used to limit them.

In Canada, the French element never really liked the English language or leadership of the government organizations and the attachment of the Canadian government toward the mother country in times of war. Yet, it would be difficult to find another conquered people who were afforded as many liberties as the English rulers afforded their French colonials.

And so on. Look at the great railways the British built n India and justice system, but not appreciated by the Indian people.

And, then the Americans went on to find out this same within the Western hemisphere in places like Cuba and Colombia and so on.

The Arab people in particular have been a troublesome lot to both the English and the Americans. They keep fretting that the mother countries just want them for their resources. They never seem to see the big picture that they need to time and nurturing in order to grow into democracy.
Denny
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Pops » Mon 19 May 2008, 18:47:52

I'm kind of a realistic optimist, things will change in a big way and not like any of us can foresee - they never have before.

I kind of have the idea that previous generations of the world saw us a rambunctious kids. We were fortunate and optimistic and who could blame us?

Over the last few decades though, I think we probably became seen as simply spoiled and most lately as the bully on the block.

Barring total war we'll still be here and we'll do alright but I doubt we'll ever be seen again as we were 50 or 60 years ago.

But that is just from the inside looking out.
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby vision-master » Mon 19 May 2008, 20:45:06

Pops wrote:I'm kind of a realistic optimist, things will change in a big way and not like any of us can foresee - they never have before.

I kind of have the idea that previous generations of the world saw us a rambunctious kids. We were fortunate and optimistic and who could blame us?

Over the last few decades though, I think we probably became seen as simply spoiled and most lately as the bully on the block.

Barring total war we'll still be here and we'll do alright but I doubt we'll ever be seen again as we were 50 or 60 years ago.

But that is just from the inside looking out.

Want a glimpse of the 50's (time capsule) google "Jazz on a Summer's day".

[Anita O'Day
vision-master

Next

Return to Geopolitics & Global Economics