Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Imminent collapse of the US dollar

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

Unread postby Grimnir » Mon 31 Jan 2005, 18:11:47

Warren Buffet has already pulled every last penny out of the US stock market. Perhaps he knows something...

Really? Where did you read that? On the other hand, Buffet has been a pessimist for years; he could just be continuing the trend.
Grimnir
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby NevadaGhosts » Mon 31 Jan 2005, 18:19:53

Can't remember where I read it... but I'll dig around.
NevadaGhosts
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby maverickdoc » Mon 31 Jan 2005, 19:00:14

Grimnir wrote:Malaysia sells its oil for gold (dinars).
[B]
Can you provide a reference for that?
maverickdoc
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Grimnir » Mon 31 Jan 2005, 19:20:50

Can you provide a reference for that?

It's something I've come across in a number of places. Here are a few:
link and link
It actually just sounds like something they want to do, but I could have sworn I'd read somewhere that they were already doing it.
Grimnir
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby uNkNowN ElEmEnt » Mon 31 Jan 2005, 20:45:32

Thats where I got confused too I heard they were banding together with a couple of other neighbour countries and were going to switch to the euro. Heard it last summer some time.
uNkNowN ElEmEnt
Expert
Expert

Unread postby JBinKC » Sun 13 Feb 2005, 12:18:51

Yeah I agree the dollar is toast unless we raise interest rates by a large amount thereby killing the economy and that will put even more pressure on the debt costs and the inflated housing sectors. The US will also need to revamp its health care system too by either deregulating it or controlling it 100%.

But I am not betting on the Euro either in the long run as they will also face huge trade deficits in time. I think the currencies of choice will be with the stable countries that have the remaining resources like Canada or Russia.

Regarding the comment about Warren Buffett he still owns quite a few US companies in his stock portfolio besides of course all of his 100% owned companies in his conglomerate. The only foreign stock that he owns is Petrochina PTR which is one of his smallest stakes (Note: that Gillette had a recent take over offer from Procter and Gamble).
JBinKC
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby maverickdoc » Sun 13 Feb 2005, 13:01:59

JBinKC wrote:But I am not betting on the Euro either in the long run as they will also face huge trade deficits in time. I think the currencies of choice will be with the stable countries that have the remaining resources like Canada or Russia.
Regarding the comment about Warren Buffett he still owns quite a few US companies in his stock portfolio besides of course all of his 100% owned companies in his conglomerate. The only foreign stock that he owns is Petrochina PTR which is one of his smallest stakes (Note: that Gillette had a recent take over offer from Procter and Gamble).

The countries that use the Euro are not allowed to run a budget deficit of more than 3%. The US runs a deficit of 7% annually.
The US has a total external debt of $ 862,000,000,000. The closes euro country is Spain with $90,000,000,000. Most other countries are well below that.

No Euro is not perfect, but is a hell of a lot better than the Dollar. If other countries start to sell oil in euros than, watch out one of the foundations that support the dollar will be eradicated. Over night, 1 euro will go from $1.29 to $1.40 (assuming it is a major seller like Iran or Russia)

You might want to recheck you research on buffet. He owns shares in quite a few European and non American companies. Also he is stock piling his euro reserves, as are many other investment institutions (including the one I work for). What about Gates, and Soros? No there is something big about to happen. Closing our eyes and saying the US ran huge deficits before (ie. 1980's*,) and nothing is going to happens will not save us.

*In the 1980's there was no euro, and the Yen was pegged to the dollar and Europe was trying to recoup from the oil embargo
maverickdoc
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby JimBad05 » Sun 13 Feb 2005, 23:39:40

It seems to me wages are keeping inflation low. The price of oil and imports have gone up greatly. Also, the government is taking on great debt. This should result in tremendous inflation. (This is called cost push inflation, when the cost of the factors of production: land labor capital (ie. oil, some imports) goes up greatly, causing prices to go up causing other items prices to go up etc etc) But, notice the Republican opposition to raising the minimum wage. If the minimum wage were raised, this would raise the cost of labor, causing much greater inflation. Eventually, wage-earners will have to use credit more and more, while the wealthy can avoid credit. Then, it becomes possible and legal for those that still have money to seize property at auction. If the minimum wage is raised, our economy goes sour quick. If things keep going the way they are, the dollar becomes worthless and the American people become serfs.
JimBad05
Wood
Wood

Unread postby savethehumans » Sun 13 Feb 2005, 23:55:43

Nothing in the stock market, NevadaGhosts. Or in ANY money-based investment. Between the coming world economic collapse and the realities of the post-peak society, money of ANY KIND isn't going to be worth the paper/metal it's printed on. Useful goods for bartering, yes. Useful skills for bartering, yes. I'm iffy on gold/silver...only if the surviving population think the stuff's worth exchanging something TRULY useful for.... :(

The money? It's good NOW--for buying needed stuff for NOW and useful stuff for NOW and TOMORROW. That's it. And it'll run out before the world economic collapse, which tells you how one-time this $$ motherlode is. In the midst of all this, I'm trying to learn some barterable skills, and make life more, well, kind and/or better for myself and others--and I don't mean that in a "things" kind of way, though some "things" might be appreciated (not just "I want that"). The clock is ticking, and I think the final alarms will start ringing before this decade is out. And planning for this NEXT society (assuming there is one) by means seen as "successful" in THIS society seems to me the height of foolishness.

But buy your euros and metals, if you wish. It won't really hurt anyone, it won't really HELP anyone, either. (Especially you and yours.) Learn useful skills, instead. Develop new relationships and deepen the ones you've got. They're the most valuable things on Earth! Try to establish a network of some kind with family/friends/local skilled sorts and businesses, something you can build a COMMUNITY from. Because a COMMUNITY is the best "insurance" you will have of surviving what's coming. Prayer can help, too, if you're aware there's a God out there who's weeping for the Free-Will choices we humans have made for ourselves and our world--and even about His existence! But atheist and "religious" can agree on one thing--in the long run (maybe even the short one!), it's not guns or bombs or "me first" or hatred that will provide a society/world worth living in--it's love, understanding, fairness, common sense, and MUTUAL advantage. And if that sounds too idealistic, I know it is. It also happens to be the truth. Which makes me extremely pessimistic about the future...especially if there isn't a God, and it's ALL up to human beings.... 8O
savethehumans
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby uNkNowN ElEmEnt » Mon 14 Feb 2005, 00:52:32

Warren Buffet has already pulled every last penny out of the US stock market. Perhaps he knows something...

This is for ther person who wanted a source. I read something like that on www.howestreet.com about him and bill gates pulling their money out of US. I can't find it now and have too much of a headache to.
uNkNowN ElEmEnt
Expert
Expert

Unread postby brentmeister » Mon 14 Feb 2005, 04:04:11

Buffet, Gates & Soros are all very negative about the US dollar and are long Euros etc instead. Soros is/was short the dollar, I dunno if he still is. Also, all three have major positions in silver - physical silver in the case of Buffet, mining companies for the other two.
brentmeister
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Grimnir » Mon 14 Feb 2005, 15:57:05

uNkNowN ElEmEnt wrote:
This is for ther person who wanted a source. I read something like that on www.howestreet.com about him and bill gates pulling their money out of US. I can't find it now and have too much of a headache to.

I found a number of articles saying he'd been moving money out of the dollar into silver and that he "couldn't find anything he liked" in the stock market, but nothing saying he'd bailed out altogether. Still, the point is the same.
Grimnir
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Betterthanyou » Mon 21 Feb 2005, 02:33:51

:-D Sure am glad I live in America! Ok, so our president isn't exactly the brightest of the bunch, but that doesn't matter. There are many other powerful people in office to help him win the war on terror. Everyone (including you France) should join us, because if you are not with us, then you are part of the problem, and the problem must be eliminated. You Europeans cant hurt us. Our economy is your business. So- Who's your daddy?

oh and by the way, in case you didn't notice. We are Christians, and we know that we are living near Armageddon. Also, we own enough nukes to blow the world up, what, maybe 7 times? Maybe we can help god out a little, what do you say? HAHA! Nobody can stop us now! God bless the USA
Betterthanyou
Wood
Wood

Unread postby shortonoil » Tue 22 Feb 2005, 19:14:23

Sounds like you believe that fairy tale that the WTC fell down because a couple of mad arabs hit it with airplanes! America my home, land of the delusional thinker.
shortonoil
False ETP Prophet
False ETP Prophet

Unread postby bruin » Tue 22 Feb 2005, 19:46:14

shortonoil wrote:Sounds like you believe that fairy tale that the WTC fell down because a couple of mad arabs hit it with airplanes! America my home, land of the delusional thinker.

I suppose you would suggest the Bush administration did. All we need now are the tape recordings of the phone conversations behind it. Hopefully 60 minutes can come out with a document proving it all. Maybe they simply followed FDR's plan on bombing Pearl Harbor.
I would believe some serious opportunism went on with 9/11 to invade the Middle East (twice) but to argue the CIA or some other US entity planned the whole thing is wrong.
bruin
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby stu » Wed 23 Feb 2005, 07:10:02

bruin wrote:I would believe some serious opportunism went on with 9/11 to invade the Middle East (twice) but to argue the CIA or some other US entity planned the whole thing is wrong.

I'd recommend you read War on Freedom:How and Why America Was Attacked by Nafeeq Mossadeq Ahmed. I'm currently reading it now andhaveto say it is the best 9/11 book I've read so far. I used to think Ruppert and Griffin had written good books but they both quote this one extensively.

It stays away from the far out parts of 9/11 theory such as was it a missile that hit the pentagon and were the twin towers brought down in a controlled demolition and instead focuses on the links between the CIA, the Saudi royal family, Osama Bin Laden, and the Pakistani ISI.

Did you know for example that in July 2001 Bin Laden was in a Dubai hospital recieving treatment and was visited by the head of Saudi intelligence and a member of the CIA. link
stu
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Grimnir » Thu 24 Feb 2005, 19:13:17

From The Australian. Quick excerpt:
US deficits risk crash: Treasury by David Uren and Roy Eccleston, Feb 25, 2005:
PETER Costello's closest adviser fears the US is heading for a devastating financial crash that could ravage Australia's economic growth. As the Reserve Bank considers raising interest rates at its board meeting next Tuesday, Treasury Secretary Ken Henry likened the flood of money pouring into the US to support its budget and current account deficits to the stockmarket's dotcom bubble of the late 1990s. Were it suddenly to stop, there would be shockwaves felt throughout the world's economies. The financial crash feared by Dr Henry would involve a sharp fall in the US dollar and a bond market sell-off, which would push up US and world interest rates.

This would hit US economic growth and, as a result, cut Chinese exports of manufactured products to the American market. In turn, this would threaten the boom in Australian mineral exports to China. Fears that the world economy is in grave danger are growing in the major financial capitals. The International Monetary Fund, which is responsible for stability of the world economy, also warned yesterday of a sudden collapse.
Grimnir
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Re: Imminent collapse of the US dollar

Unread postby copious.abundance » Thu 05 Feb 2009, 00:15:14

Since there seems to be a flurry of threads on this exact same topic these days I thought I'd bump up this 4-year-old thread to remind everyone how the collapse of the US dollar and the "imminent" defaulting of the US on its debt and blah blah blah seem to always be just around the corner. Year after year after year after year after . . .

:razz:
Stuff for doomers to contemplate:
http://peakoil.com/forums/post1190117.html#p1190117
http://peakoil.com/forums/post1193930.html#p1193930
http://peakoil.com/forums/post1206767.html#p1206767
copious.abundance
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Tyler_JC » Thu 05 Feb 2009, 00:44:44

OilFinder2 wrote:Since there seems to be a flurry of threads on this exact same topic these days I thought I'd bump up this 4-year-old thread to remind everyone how the collapse of the US dollar and the "imminent" defaulting of the US on its debt and blah blah blah seem to always be just around the corner. Year after year after year after year after.

Just a note. The Dollar Index in February of 2005 (when this thread was created) was trading at 83. Today it's 86. 8) 4 years of Dollar collapse and the currency has actually gained in value.
"www.peakoil.com is the Myspace of the Apocalypse."
Tyler_JC
Expert
Expert

Unread postby oswald622 » Thu 05 Feb 2009, 07:15:18

measured against gold - and not against other falling fiat currencies - the dollar has lost over half its value since this thread was started. come on, you guys ought to know better...
oswald622
Peat
Peat

PreviousNext

Return to Economics & Finance