Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Imminent collapse of the US dollar

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

Re: Imminent collapse of the US dollar

Unread postby shortonoil » Sat 14 Oct 2017, 12:05:17

Yes, they are seeking a more fair distribution and power scheme but not the destruction of the US economy. A currency collapse of the US dollar would be in effect a collapse of the US economy.

The US is the largest importer in the world; no one is likely to shoot their best customer! But there is no doubt that the US has been using its financial position to beat up on everyone that disagrees with it. If the US does lose its preeminence in the financial world we can thank the State Department most of all for it happening. I was hoping that Trump would place the US on more of a business footing, but so far he has displayed the same behavior as the last couple of morons in the White House. Pissing the whole world off is just not good business; shooting at them is even worse!
shortonoil
False ETP Prophet
False ETP Prophet

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Sat 14 Oct 2017, 22:01:50

shortonoil wrote: When the US economy is strong imports go up, and the dollar goes down as more dollars enter the world market. That makes it easier for dollar denominated debt holders to service their debt.

Except that there appears to be very little correlation between a strong US economy and the strength of the dollar. While you're spinning stories, you should try looking at some actual data.

http://www.macrotrends.net/1329/us-doll ... ical-chart

From about 83 to 89 the US economy was strong and the stock market was bullish. But the dollar went strongly up until early 85, then strongly down until mid-88, and then was fairly flat on balance.

For the last 6 recessions, the dollar was low during three, moderate during two, and high during one. No consistency there.

The dollar surged over 25% during the tech bull market and very strong economy of the latter half of the 90's.

I will agree that a weak dollar makes it easier for debt holders to service dollar denominated debt. But not with a claim that when the US economy is strong, the dollar goes down.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby asg70 » Sat 14 Oct 2017, 22:12:18

Since 2008 I have seen the conversation shift almost exclusively to economic theory. Peakers had spent years and years studying ecology and related fields but they are way out of their element when it comes to trying to tease out the ups and downs of the market. The closest we've come to a linkage is Chris Martenson's Crash Course but really, this is the weakest leg on the peak-oil doom platform because the economy is a very complicated system. If it were possible to predict then there would be a lot more millionaires out there. But having to deal with the daily drip of doomers turned self-declared economic experts does get tiring.

BOLD PREDICTIONS
-Billions are on the verge of starvation as the lockdown continues. (yoshua, 5/20/20)

HALL OF SHAME:
-Short welched on a bet and should be shunned.
-Frequent-flyers should not cry crocodile-tears over climate-change.
asg70
Permanently Banned

Unread postby onlooker » Sat 14 Oct 2017, 22:21:09

Asg, it does not take an expert to know that Debt has become like a Cancer on this planet. Nor that Peak Oil is inherently an Economic problem. So, I am not sure what you are saying. Here is link to a timely article about the world mired in Debt.
https://naturalnews.com/2017-06-04-the- ... uture.html
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Sun 15 Oct 2017, 16:49:07

onlooker wrote:Asg, it does not take an expert to know that Debt has become like a Cancer on this planet. Nor that Peak Oil is inherently an Economic problem. So, I am not sure what you are saying. Here is link to a timely article about the world mired in Debt.

I think you are way off base here onlooker. Is debt bad? That depends on what the debtor is doing with the money. Is there a lot of bad debt out there today? Certainly. Is a debt caused economic collapse immanent ? Possible but not likely.
But peak oil is not an economic problem. The world could all be in a sound cash in hand basis when peak oil actually happens and it will still be a huge energy problem that will have negative effects on the economy. Fixing the economy and the debt problem will not forestall the onset of peak oil.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby onlooker » Sun 15 Oct 2017, 17:23:09

vtsnowedin wrote:
onlooker wrote:Asg, it does not take an expert to know that Debt has become like a Cancer on this planet. Nor that Peak Oil is inherently an Economic problem. So, I am not sure what you are saying. Here is link to a timely article about the world mired in Debt.

I think you are way off base here onlooker. Is debt bad? That depends on what the debtor is doing with the money. Is there a lot of bad debt out there today? Certainly. Is a debt caused economic collapse immanent ? Possible but not likely.
But peak oil is not an economic problem. The world could all be in a sound cash in hand basis when peak oil actually happens and it will still be a huge energy problem that will have negative effects on the economy. Fixing the economy and the debt problem will not forestall the onset of peak oil.

No, Lending/Debt per say is not a problem but too much over dependence on such is. That is why economic experts point to the GDP to Debt ratio has having certain healthy parameters which should not be passed. As for the Peak Oil and Economics, well they are totally intertwined. What I find so vexing is how some of you optimists are not seeing PO as being the Peak Oil dynamic. A term coined by our own Rockman. So manifestations of PO are primarily economic because of the central indispensable role energy plays in powering all economic activity directly or indirectly.
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Sun 15 Oct 2017, 17:32:22

onlooker wrote:
vtsnowedin wrote: I think you are way off base here onlooker. .....

What I find so vexing is how some of you optimists are not seeing PO as being the Peak Oil dynamic.

What makes you think I'm an optimist?

A term coined by our own Rockman. So manifestations of PO are primarily economic because of the central indispensable role energy plays in powering all economic activity directly or indirectly.

While some energy is indispensable much of what we are using today is wasted so we can endure quite a cut in energy supply before the economy grinds to a halt.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Ibon » Sun 15 Oct 2017, 18:54:00

For 10 years I have been reading here about the collapse of the US dollar. That it is imminent.

This is the slowest imminent I have ever witnessed.
Patiently awaiting the pathogens. Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
blog: http://blog.mounttotumas.com/
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby onlooker » Sun 15 Oct 2017, 19:07:38

On reflection the wasted energy seems not so wasted as the employment levels require this surplus energy to stay at current levels. I am speaking about those low paying service sector redundant jobs.
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby AdamB » Sun 15 Oct 2017, 23:20:19

NevadaGhosts wrote:
"The U.S. dollar is no longer -- in our opinion is no longer -- (seen) as a stable currency, and is devaluating all the time, and that's putting troubles all the time," Fan said, speaking in English."

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/050126/world_forum_china_5.html

Wow...all those anti dollar folks have been at this for a REALLY long time...
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Tanada » Sun 15 Oct 2017, 23:27:56

There is a real problem with people throwing around words like 'fast' or 'imminent' or 'terminal' because all of those words have actual definitions and the true meaning often bears little resemblance to what the poster is claiming is about to happen.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Economics & Finance