Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Hurricane Maria

Re: Hurricane Maria

Unread postby Cog » Tue 31 Oct 2017, 10:52:49

Sounds like Whitefish didn't pay the right bribes to the right people(unions or politicians). Third world territory with a third world attitude and some people want them to be another American state.
Cog
Anti-Matter
Anti-Matter

Unread postby Tanada » Tue 31 Oct 2017, 11:29:57

Cog wrote:Sounds like Whitefish didn't pay the right bribes to the right people(unions or politicians). Third world territory with a third world attitude and some people want them to be another American state.

IOW exactly like New York City and Chicago. At least as a state they pay more taxes to cover the cost of investigating and prosecuting some of the most egregious cases.
I should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, write, balance accounts, build a wall, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, pitch manure, program a computer, cook, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Newfie » Tue 31 Oct 2017, 13:19:21

Plant

The work has been transferred to FLUOR. Likely no stoppage at all.

You need to slow down and read a little more closely

Tanada

I’d add Philadelphia to that. Local 98 is a political powerhouse you don’t want to cross.

Also, there are numerous large contractors who refuse to do work in NYC because of the union environment. I’ve recently been too close to some of that personally.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Tue 31 Oct 2017, 13:58:15

So to summarize: the COE originally signed up Fluor for $250 million but has since increased it by $550 million to replace the $300 White Fish contract. White Fish that already had 350 boots on the ground (with another 150 personnel in the process of being moved in) using tens of $millions of heavy equipment to PR that White Fish had moved in. Equipment that PR will now have to pay $11 million to demobilize. And PR will continue paying White Fish for the next 30 days as per the cancellation clause in the contract. White Fish which had already restored a significant amount of power according to the PR utility.

Yes indeed, thank goodness the feds and the MSM have stepped in to help PR. And just so folks don't forget why the PR utility admitted it picked White Fish over the OTHER 5 BIDDING COMPANIES in the first place: White Fish was the only company to give credit to the utility (the utility of a bankrupt country) unlike the OTHER 5 BIDDING COMPANIES that required a big deposit up front.

We'll see how fast the federal machine moves compared to the 2 employees at White Fish. The 2 employees that began their conversation with the PR utility BEFORE the hurricane hit.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Plantagenet » Tue 31 Oct 2017, 16:20:00

+1. Excellent post Rockman

AND exactly How did Fluor get selected? Just a couple of days ago PR officials were saying it would take them three months to issue a new RFP, solicit and evaluate bids, and award a new contract

And yet now they seem to have already selected and contracted with Fluor and at a cost 60% higher then what they were paying Whitefish for the same work

Why is PR now paying hundreds of millions of dollars more to Fluor then they were paying to Whitefish for the same work a good thing?

Cheers!

"Its a brave new world"
---President Obama, 4/25/16
"Il bel far niente"
---traditional Italian saying
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby GHung » Tue 31 Oct 2017, 16:55:25

Plant said; "...at a cost 60% higher then what they were paying Whitefish for the same work..."

From my link upthread:

The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, which is leading the federal power restoration effort, said it plans to boost the size of a key contract awarded to Fluor Corp by $600 million, to $840 million, according to a government filing.
Blessed are the Meek, for they shall inherit nothing but their Souls. - Anonymous Ghung Person
GHung
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Tue 31 Oct 2017, 17:14:16

IIRC, not sure I do, Whitefish was charging $450/hr for a lineman foreman and Fluor is charging $190/hr.

I’ll leave it to someone else to confirm or deny, but that’s what I recall from some article.

Made me think that both Contracts were on some kind of cost plus basis.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby dohboi » Tue 31 Oct 2017, 21:18:26

Nice point, Newf.

Cog wrote: "Sounds like Whitefish didn't pay the right bribes...but then social media threw a spot light on how deeply corrupt the deal was, so someone had to back down...

Fixed that for ya :lol: :lol: :lol:
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Wed 01 Nov 2017, 00:52:19

Newfie wrote:IIRC, not sure I do, Whitefish was charging $450/hr for a lineman foreman and Fluor is charging $190/hr.

I’ll leave it to someone else to confirm or deny, but that’s what I recall from some article.

Made me think that both Contracts were on some kind of cost plus basis.

If Whitefish was doing the steel towers main lines over the mountains with helicopters and Fluor was doing local distribution networks on wooden poles that price difference might be justified. Can't say from here in Vermont (on day three of power outage here , generator humming outside my door)how much out of line WhiteFish's prices were. Have to compare apples to apples and throw in a factor for remote emergency work for a bankrupt utility.
As WhiteFish showed up and was making good progress (as far as I know) I think they will come out after all is said and done looking a lot better then the critics are now trying to paint them.
vtsnowedin
Anti-Matter
Anti-Matter

Unread postby vox_mundi » Wed 01 Nov 2017, 12:48:24

There’s A Shady Puerto Rico Contract You Didn’t Hear About

National Outrage has led to the cancellation of a suspicious $300 million contract doled out to a tiny Montana company that was oddly tasked with rebuilding large parts of Puerto Rico’s electric grid. A separate $200 million contract has faced little scrutiny, but may ultimately be even more scandalous for what it says about the effort to rebuild the island in the aftermath of Hurricane Maria.

The deal was inked with a company called Cobra Acquisitions LLC, which didn’t even exist until this year. It’s a subsidiary of an Oklahoma-based fossil fuel company, suggesting that neither the Puerto Rican Electric Power Authority nor the federal government has much interest in seizing the opportunity presented by the storm to rebuild Puerto Rico in a sustainable way that relies on renewable energy rather than imported oil.

Unlike the Whitefish contract, the Cobra deal with PREPA involved heavy input from the Federal Emergency Management Agency, which — according to a recent conference call convened by Mammoth Energy Services — was “in the room” and there “every step of the way” as it was being meted out so as to be in line with the agency’s reimbursement requirements. (Neither FEMA nor PREPA representatives have responded to The Intercept’s multiple requests for comment.)

“We expect this to be a credit to our corporate margin,” an unidentified Mammoth executive (likely Chief Financial Officer Mark Layton) said on the conference call. “Quite honestly, we wouldn’t have entered this contract if we didn’t think we’d get paid.”

... There are reasons to be concerned about Cobra beyond its ties to the fossil fuel industry, though. Cobra’s creation is Mammoth’s first foray into the utility sector, the result, Mammoth CEO Arty Straehla said on the call, of their expectation that it would produce a “stable cash flow” and the “potential for significant growth,” adding later that the utility business is “less cyclical” and “less capital-intensive” than its other work.

... “Our leadership team went to Puerto Rico proactively to meet the authorities there and offer our services and expertise,” Mammoth wrote in a statement shortly after the contract was signed.

Beyond the specifics of either the Whitefish or Cobra Acquisitions contract is a larger one about why PREPA entered into any agreements at all with private contractors post-Maria. The standard procedure for near-term disaster response is for utilities to enter into mutual aid agreements with their counterparts in other states, facilitated by the American Public Power Association. Puerto Rico is entitled to these type of agreements, and — with the Whitefish contract severed — will now begin receiving such aid from utilities in Florida and New York.

... The issues surrounding its contract reflect broader problems plaguing PREPA: a startling lack of transparency, costly mismanagement, and an abiding fondness for the fossil fuel industry — all compounded by crippling debt and a catastrophic storm. The fiscal oversight board and others on the island see the solution to these problems as privatization. Late last week, that federally appointed body — now in charge of the island’s finances and government — cited PREPA’s pursuance of the Whitefish contract as rationale for wanting to install a Flint-style emergency manager to oversee the utility, a move many expect will pave the way for selling it off to the highest bidders.
“There are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.” ― Leonardo da Vinci

Insensible before the wave so soon released by callous fate. Affected most, they understand the least, and understanding, when it comes, invariably arrives too late.
vox_mundi
Fission
Fission

Unread postby GHung » Wed 01 Nov 2017, 14:40:41

The only other reference I can find for "Cobra Acquisitions, LLC" is here:
https://www.corporationwiki.com/Califor ... 10621.aspx

Cobra Acquisitions, LLC filed as a Domestic in the State of California on Friday, May 18, 2012 and is approximately five years old, as recorded in documents filed with California Secretary of State.

11301 W Olympic Blvd Los Angeles, CA 90064

The Mammoth Energy Services Inc. link mentions "Cobra Energy" as a new acquisition. More obscurity? Anyway, disaster capitalism is alive and profiting.

Mammoth Energy slideshow re Puerto Rico:

https://seekingalpha.com/article/411552 ... -slideshow

Also:

Mammoth Energy +16% on Puerto Rico power restoration contract
https://seekingalpha.com/news/3302716-m ... n-contract
Blessed are the Meek, for they shall inherit nothing but their Souls. - Anonymous Ghung Person
GHung
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Wed 01 Nov 2017, 15:47:50

"...PR now paying hundreds of millions of dollars more to Fluor then they were paying to Whitefish for the same work a good thing?" Are you sure PR is paying? And ultimately not the feds? And how is a supposedly bankrupt country going to pay for its entire rebuild?

I suspect we're a long way from seeing the final bottom line on this situation.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby dohboi » Wed 01 Nov 2017, 17:19:55

As Elon Musk Proposes Taking Over Power Authority, Puerto Ricans Demand Community-Owned Solar Power

http://www.truth-out.org/news/item/4244 ... olar-power

ÁNGEL FIGUEROA JARAMILLO [of UTIER, the electrical workers union of PR}: [translated]
..the transformation that UTIER believes is most appropriate is -- are solar communities.

Also, PR was not the only island devastated by Maria:

'It feels like Dominica is finished':

life amid the ruins left by Hurricane Maria

https://www.theguardian.com/global-deve ... cane-maria
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby GHung » Wed 01 Nov 2017, 17:39:26

FYI MSM Alert: PBS/Nova tonight (in my market) "Killer Hurricanes" - Explores the 'Great Hurricane of 1780' which blasted the Caribbean killing at least 20,000 souls.
GHung
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Wed 01 Nov 2017, 19:59:55

Dohboi,

That Guardian article is just the kind of reporting I despise. Try reading “Amusing Ourselves to Death” sometime for a good critique on why we are more brain dead than ever.

Here is something more cohesive, no tear stains, just the facts (well, with some liberal sprinklings of optimizing and marketing I’m sure).

USVI/BVI in similar power circumstances to PR. Barbuda is still trulying to get ferral donkeys off the runway. I’m heading that way this winter so I’m paying attention. In general the reporting on progress out of the area is almost non existent. Elsewhere I’ve started a thread for interested folks to aggregate information, lots of thread subscribers, very little info coming in.

Frankly we would have had better info back in the 1800’s when sailing ships would have been going back and forth.

http://www.travelweekly.com/Caribbean-T ... k.facebook

Dominica excerpt

Many areas are moving from the relief phase to recovery, according to the Discover Dominica Authority. All banks, businesses and government offices are open in Roseau. Throughout the island, main roadways have been cleared. More than 275 tons of food and 45,000 gallons of water have been distributed to more than 93 communities.

Up to 23 of the 67 state primary and secondary schools were set to reopen on Oct. 17. Many were to reopen in their original buildings while others were to operate in alternate locations.

Islanders are in dire need of water, electricity, food and supplies, according to the UN International Organization for Migration (UNIOM). An estimated 23% of homes have been flattened. "Those houses do not exist anymore. They have either been blown into the sea or totally scattered in pieces across the island," said Jean Philippe Antolin, head of UNIOM in a report to Caribbean 360 News. More than 2,000 Dominicans are living in shelters while the rest are staying with relatives and friends.

The agency has responded with supply deliveries, coordination of shelter management, and pipelining international donations. IOM released $100,000 to scale up shelter response, and an additional $350,000 was secured from the UN Central Emergency Response Fund.

The drinking water supply has been restored to 55% of the network, according to the Dominica Water and Sewage Co.

Electricity has been restored to the capital city of Roseau as well as to Portsmouth. Work is ongoing for the rest of the island.

Mobile phone service providers FLOW and Digicel have restored access to a number of communities. FLOW restored service to 21 of its 49 mobile sites and land line service is back in operation to parts of Roseau, Canefield, St. Joseph, Portsmouth, Morne Daniel, Mahaut and Pond Cassee. Digicel has restored service to communities in the north, south and west as well as to Roseau, Portsmouth and their environs.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby dohboi » Thu 02 Nov 2017, 09:03:21

Thanks for the added stats (and thanks for the reminder about that great Postman book).

I'm not sure though that emotions should be completely left out of reporting in all circumstances, as long as it doesn't alter basic facts or go way overboard. You seem to think this one did...matter of opinion.

A quarter of the houses flattened, and half the people still with out the daily basic necessity for life of water...does sound rather dire to me, especially if you're one of those without a house and/or without water.
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Newfie » Fri 03 Nov 2017, 14:31:45

And from Dutch St Marrten

mits resignation: Sends National Decree to dissolve Parliament
Prime Minister William Marlin tendered the resignation of his cabinet to Governor Eugene Holiday on Thursday afternoon following the motion of no confidence against himself and the other ministers.

Marlin also presented a draft National Decree to the Governor to dissolve Parliament. Once signed, the Parliament of Sint Maarten will be dissolved on January 31, 2018. To make this possible, elections for a new Parliament will have to be held.

Marlin says that the voters of Sint Maarten will now have to decide how to move forward. A one seat majority government is not good for the people of Sint Maarten at this time when the country is faced with a national disaster following the catastrophic devastation brought on by Hurricane Irma.

We need a stable government that can rely on a comfortable majority in Parliament.

Hiding behind the ongoing discussions between himself and the Dutch Government about the conditions set to receive aid was used as excuse to give the government a vote of no confidence. The real reasons are clear to everyone.

The Democratic Party has been trying for several months already to break the government as Wescot-Williams wants to be Prime Minister of Sint Maarten again, at all cost, even at the expense of the people of Sint Maarten. She has gone as far as to use the hurricane to get this accomplished.

The offer of the Prime Minister to the leaders of the UP, Mr. Theo Heyliger, Mrs. Wescott Williams of the DP and Mr. Frans Richardson of the USP was not really entertained.

Parties met on Wednesday at the Parliament Building and shortly thereafter at the Cabinet of the Governor.

All 4 leaders agreed in the presence of the Governor to continue talks aimed at the formation of a National Government.

William Marlin pointed out to the others that the proposal for a National Government was not for him to remain in office as Prime Minister. He even proposed the name of a non-political person with an impeccable record and extensive knowledge of and experience with government, who Marlin says he believes has the support and confidence of all parties.

That seemingly didn’t sit well with Wescott-Williams as her mission is to return as Prime Minister.

Following the meeting with the governor and the promise to continue talks to form a National Government, the Chairlady of Parliament returned to the meeting and reopened the meeting as if no consultations had been held.

Marlin said that again he needs to stress and point out, that he had never refused aid. What the ongoing discussion with the Dutch Government had been about all along, was the conditions the government in Holland was attaching to aid. No amount was ever mentioned. Marlin said that it is not him nor his government that was holding up aid, it had been the Dutch government all the while because they wanted to use the devastation caused by the hurricane to get their way with two issues that had nothing to do with aid.

Marlin said that he continues to be committed to the people of Sint Maarten like he has always been.

During the weeks ahead, it will become clear all what the attacks on the Prime Minister had been about. After exposing the present Minister of Social Affairs, suddenly tarpaulins are now available to the same people they were holding hostage for weeks. Ans as the days go by, more and more will be exposed.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby dohboi » Mon 06 Nov 2017, 15:51:56

High number of "natural deaths"

Partial reports of the Police lack specific data of the deceased

The majority of the complaints do not cover the critical days during the passage of Hurricane Maria between September 19 and 21

The partial reports of the Police show that 894 complaints were issued for natural deaths, most of these weeks after Hurricane Maria, between October 1 and 23.

In turn, of the documents to which El VOCERO had access, it appears that eight of the deceased were between 100 and 105 years of age and 277 cases in which the years they had were not indicated. About 200 reported deaths occurred in homes for the elderly and another 200 in emergency rooms and hospitals.

They do not indicate whether there was electricity in the places where the deaths occurred and if the elderly depended on it to avoid aggravating their health conditions.

An examination of the complaints shows that in 72 of the cases, the deceased were not identified. Of those 19 are men and four women. The remaining 49 are not identified by sex, age or name.

The lack of information in the registry of the complaints prevents accurate numbers. In some cases, the date, age and residential address appear, but not the name. In other cases they are the deaths of young people on public roads.

Of the cases examined by gender, some 397 are women.

According to the partial statistics in San Juan, between September 21 and the first days of October, 127 complaints of natural deaths were issued, of which 32 were from people who lived in homes for the elderly and 29 in hospitals. Of the 127 deaths in that area, about 23 were people between the ages of 90 and 99; another 30 between 80 to 89 years, and 12 between 70 to 79 years.

While the police area of ​​Bayamón, partial reports between September 25 and October 23 total 68 cases of natural deaths, of which 11 occurred in homes for the elderly and 15 in emergency rooms and hospitals.

In one of the cases the person was over 100 years old. In another ten cases between 90 to 99 years of age; 18 of the cases between 80 to 89 years; 11 of the cases between 70 to 79 years and in six of the cases between 60 to 69 years.

On the other hand, in the area of ​​Ponce, which also includes Juana Díaz, Villalba, Santa Isabel, Peñuelas, Guayanilla, Yauco and Guánica, there were 75 complaints. It was indicated that 16 of the deaths in that area occurred in homes for the elderly and 14 in hospitals or emergency rooms.

In the Caguas area, which includes the municipalities of Cidra, Aguas Buenas, Gurabo, San Lorenzo and Juncos, the complaints amounted to 131.

In Mayagüez, 36 deaths were added, of which 21 were in homes for the elderly and 22 in hospitals and emergency rooms. Of the deceased 22 had ages between 90 to 99 years; 26 between 80 to 89 years and 23 between 70 to 79 years.

Utuado the most stripped

Other areas such as Utuado, Arecibo, Guayama and Humacao have the minimum information in their records, mainly age.

Guayama reported 21 deaths between September 30 and October 10, one of which occurred in a nursing home and three in hospitals. Five of the deaths are of people over 90 years old; four over 80 years old; five older than 70 and four older than 60.

The registration in Utuado adds 25 complaints. Five were in nursing homes and one in a hospital. Three are nameless and covers from September 2 to October 8. It does not add other known deaths directly related to Mary, such as that of three sisters who perished buried in an avalanche.

In the Carolina area with 105 complaints, it is established that 18 of the deaths occurred in hospitals and nine in care homes. One of the deceased was 105 years old; another 11 older than 90; 14 over 80 years old; 10 over 70 years old and 11 over 60 years old.

http://www.elvocero.com/ley-y-orden/alt ... 6.amp.html
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Mon 06 Nov 2017, 19:21:41

Can any of that be sorted out from the normal death rate for the 3.5 million citizens of Puerto Rico which is 70 persons per day?
I highly doubt it.
vtsnowedin
Anti-Matter
Anti-Matter

Unread postby dohboi » Mon 06 Nov 2017, 20:45:04

I was wondering about that, too.

I'm thinking probably there are many things we will never know about this episode with full certainty.
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

PreviousNext

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate