Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Hurricane Katia

Hurricane Katia

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Wed 06 Sep 2017, 17:04:42

Hopefully this should be a short lived thread. Katia blew up to a minimal hurricane today in the southern Gulf of Mexico. The projection is for the same high pressure ridge expected to eventually turn Irma north will push Katia into Mexico. Low velocity winds but a lot of rain potential.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Re: Hurricane Katia

Unread postby MD » Wed 06 Sep 2017, 21:43:12

It needs to do just that. Sorry to the people of mexico and I hope it runs aground quickly and falls apart
Stop filling dumpsters, as much as you possibly can, and everything will get better.

Just think it through.
It's not hard to do.
MD
COB
COB

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Wed 06 Sep 2017, 21:54:50

MD - Yeah, potentially very bad for Mexico and its neighbors to the south. Even rather weak tropical depressions can dump enough rain to cause devistating mudslides in that region.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby JimBof » Fri 08 Sep 2017, 05:47:09

Glad you are still here Rock, you got floaties on that wheelchair?
JimBof
Coal
Coal

Unread postby Tanada » Fri 08 Sep 2017, 08:09:59

ROCKMAN wrote:Hopefully this should be a short lived thread. Katia blew up to a minimal hurricane today in the southern Gulf of Mexico. The projection is for the same high pressure ridge expected to eventually turn Irma north will push Katia into Mexico. Low velocity winds but a lot of rain potential.

What are the chances this one will disrupt GOM production from Mexican and American fields?
I should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, write, balance accounts, build a wall, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, pitch manure, program a computer, cook, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Fri 08 Sep 2017, 08:57:14

T - Maybe a bit from Mexican offshore fields but should have by now but haven't seen such reports. Onshore Mexico: little to no production where Matia is projected to run onshore.

The US? Technically the standard policy by most companies is to evac all facilities when there's a hurricane in the GOM. But given where and when she developed I don't think that has happened. And very little oil production in the western portion of the GOM anyway. Onshore south Texas? No one down there is even watching Katia.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby GHung » Fri 08 Sep 2017, 09:11:05

Mexico also just got hit by an 8.1 earthquake off its southern coast. Death count up to 29 so far.
Seems the US isn't the only place to get double-whammied.
Blessed are the Meek, for they shall inherit nothing but their Souls. - Anonymous Ghung Person
GHung
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Fri 08 Sep 2017, 09:44:00

Jim - All fine and dandy here. As I described elsewhere though I'm technically in the flooded area both east and west of me my little part of Texas is no different then before Harvey. About the only problem I might have had would be survivor's guilt. But learned how to deal with that decades ago. Of course now I don't self medicate with alcohol. I have cable TV and the Internet to "comfort" me. LOL.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Fri 08 Sep 2017, 16:50:23

By the time little Katia makes landfall in Mexico tonight it may have puffed up to a Cat 3 according to latest observations. And potentially rolling towards the area that was just hit with the 8.1 quake.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Tanada » Fri 08 Sep 2017, 21:41:54

ROCKMAN wrote:By the time little Katia makes landfall in Mexico tonight it may have puffed up to a Cat 3 according to latest observations. And potentially rolling towards the area that was just hit with the 8.1 quake.

Well in one sense that is good, instead of hitting an area that is otherwise stable it will run over territory already in serious need of rebuilding. Cold comfort for those affected I am sure, but probably less of an economic downside for Mexico as a nation.
I should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, write, balance accounts, build a wall, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, pitch manure, program a computer, cook, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Fri 08 Sep 2017, 22:35:31

T - And though not autonomous by any means those southern states have had a somewhat contentious relationship with Mexico City.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby donstewart » Sat 09 Sep 2017, 18:34:47

@rockman
I don't see the Irma thread. But a little more on models. Take a look at this article:
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/hurricane- ... ast-model/

You can see that they want you to believe whatever it is that the Officials tell you. They do admit that the European Model has a 'slight advantage', but the wise people who are in charge can be absolutely trusted. Which includes the 'non-fake' media.

The previous article was considerably less congratulatory about how good the Official version has been...without claiming that any model or forecaster or organization is perfect.

I do not claim to be able to pick winners. When the Official model shows the Bermuda High shrinking and Irma headed off toward Britain across the Atlantic, while the European Model shows the Bermuda High being either stable or actually growing and steering Irma toward the Florida Strait, I am not capable of arguing the point. I did take exception to cog's flat-out claim that it was the North Atlantic for sure, since I was pretty sure he had no inside information on the future of the Bermuda High. I do observe that the European Model has been more right, more of the time, in recent years.

Hope this clarifies things....Don Stewart
donstewart
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Tue 12 Sep 2017, 14:37:15

This should finish the thread:

"As Mexican authorities rushed supplies and help to the regions most battered by the earthquake, Hurricane Katia struck the east coast of Mexico early Saturday as a Category 1 storm. Luis Felipe Puente, head of Mexico's national emergency services agency, said two people were killed by the hurricane, which roared ashore in Veracruz state, pelting the region with intense rains and winds.

The hurricane quickly lost strength after hitting land and was downgraded to a tropical storm. The U.S. National Hurricane Center said the storm’s maximum sustained winds had dropped Saturday morning to about 35 mph. Still, the hurricane center predicted the storm could bring three to six inches of additional rain to a region with a history of flooding and deadly mudslides.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Return to Environment