Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Hurricane Joaquin to Hammer US East Coast, Boost GDP

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

Hurricane Joaquin to Hammer US East Coast, Boost GDP

Unread postby GHung » Wed 30 Sep 2015, 12:29:58

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-n ... c/52672710

While there are still scenarios that would take Hurricane Joaquin out to sea, the possibility of the hurricane reaching the Eastern United States coast is gaining merit.

Joaquin is forecast to continue to gather strength just northeast of the Bahamas during the next couple of days before it begins its northward run along the East coast. The system could reach Category 3 strength.

The storm will bring pounding surf, dangerous seas, strong winds, drenching squalls and flash flooding to the central Bahamas. Wind gusts could reach between 75 and 100 mph on some of the islands.

Jobs, jobs, jobs! Keep your fingers crossed.
Blessed are the Meek, for they shall inherit nothing but their Souls. - Anonymous Ghung Person
GHung
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Re: Hurricane Joaquin to Hammer US East Coast, Boost GDP

Unread postby dinopello » Wed 30 Sep 2015, 13:09:25

People are mostly concerned about the amount of rain expected from this event. 10-20 inches is what they are saying. 10 if it doesn't make landfall. That's a lot of rain !
dinopello
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby ennui2 » Wed 30 Sep 2015, 13:24:20

GHung wrote:Jobs, jobs, jobs! Keep your fingers crossed.

I'm missing the punch-line here. Please translate.
"If the oil price crosses above the Etp maximum oil price curve within the next month, I will leave the forum." --SumYunGai (9/21/2016)
ennui2
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Tanada » Wed 30 Sep 2015, 13:34:28

ennui2 wrote:
GHung wrote:Jobs, jobs, jobs! Keep your fingers crossed.

I'm missing the punch-line here. Please translate.

Damage requires rebuilding equals increase GDP because of the way the various governments and economists calculate the GDP rate.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby GHung » Wed 30 Sep 2015, 13:37:41

OK, for you simpletons; these storms create thousands of jobs. I have a friend, an independent insurance adjuster, who makes his big bucks from these storms. My wife has a cousin in South Florida who made a mint in reconstruction after Andrew, and later, Katrina. Sandy's 'reconfiguration' of the North East is still fuelling jobs, and boosted GDP by tens-of-billions.

I have a son-in-law, a grid lineman, who scored over $40k in overtime from Sandy. Went a long way towards their move back to California, and a downpayment on a house. He's now making big bucks hanging from helicopters, repairing transmission lines damaged in the fires.

North Carolina may not get much of a boost this time, since they've outlawed sea level rise.
Blessed are the Meek, for they shall inherit nothing but their Souls. - Anonymous Ghung Person
GHung
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Revi » Wed 30 Sep 2015, 13:41:40

It might not be that much fun for people if it hits and they don't have insurance. Some people make money, and some suffer. I guess it's the way of the world...
Deep in the mud and slime of things, even there, something sings.
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby dinopello » Wed 30 Sep 2015, 14:25:54

GHung wrote:OK, for you simpletons; these storms create thousands of jobs. .

Gary Oldman explains it even better.

Activity causing the flow of capital is what creates jobs, swelling the "economy" regardless of what the cause of the activity is or even what the activity accomplishes. Of course, it is "better" (in some sense) if the activity is creating things that will provide payback over time like water works projects, alt energy, transportation etc.

And, Le Corbusier used the same argument when selling his vision for the suburban car-centric America

"The cities will be part of the country; I shall live 30 miles from my office in one direction, under a pine tree; my secretary will live 30 miles away from it too, in the opposite direction, under another pine tree. We shall both have our own car. We shall use up trees, wear out road surfaces and gears, consume oil and gasoline. All of which will necessitate a great deal of work… enough for all".

-Le Corbusier

And, he was absolutely correct. What was built, probably not sustainable but it did create a lot lot of jobs.
dinopello
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Paulo1 » Wed 30 Sep 2015, 15:15:44

How far are you from the Carolina coast, Ghung?
Paulo1
Coal
Coal

Unread postby GHung » Wed 30 Sep 2015, 15:40:16

Hi, Paulo. About as far from the coast as you can get and still be in NC, over 400 miles. Somewhere down there:

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.3682941 ... a=!3m1!1e3
Last edited by GHung on Wed 30 Sep 2015, 15:49:17, edited 1 time in total.
GHung
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby dinopello » Wed 30 Sep 2015, 15:46:55

My most likely outcome at my house is a flooded basement - which creates a job for me, but with no pay :(
dinopello
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Wed 30 Sep 2015, 19:03:43

We have a front row seat. We are lying on the hook in a tight Harbour south of Annapolis.

With the shitty weather preceding the storm we have no chance of getting outta her, so here we stay.

Should be fine.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Apneaman » Wed 30 Sep 2015, 20:20:12

Morticians, hospital workers and first responders pick up extra hours too. Nothing like make some extra coin picking up or patching up broken bodies - especially screaming terrified little kids. That must be the best windfall of all eh? I hear many cops end up eating their gun cause they can't shake those images - the broken kids. No sacrifice too small to appease Mammon.

Climate Change Superstorm Redux? Joaquin Shows Some Eerie Similarities to Sandy in Forecast.

http://robertscribbler.com/2015/09/30/c ... -forecast/
Apneaman
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Newfie » Wed 30 Sep 2015, 20:28:27

They are still fixing stuff from Sandy. Billions and billions.

Plus, now new building has to meet more stringent codes, meaning more cost, more money to grow the economy.

Maybe w should just pay someone else to bomb us flat then we can rebuild the whole hing and have a great economy for the whole country.

Makes sense don't it?
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Apneaman » Wed 30 Sep 2015, 20:36:34

This is how I plan to prosper once AGW, peak oil, ocean acidification, 6th mass extinction ramp up big time. Entrepreneurial prepping.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grbSQ6O6kbs
Apneaman
Permanently Banned

Unread postby ennui2 » Wed 30 Sep 2015, 21:24:43

GHung wrote:OK, for you simpletons; these storms create thousands of jobs.

And what made you feel it was necessary to point that out? It just feels like layered sarcasm so thick that I can't quite get to the heart of what your beef is.

Yeah, I get the fact that politics seems to do almost nothing but talk about "jobs" as if nothing else matters in the world, regardless of what those jobs are and what their impact on the world (like oil patch workers especially). I don't see how that relates to news about a storm. Are you expecting the GOP to start celebrating every natural disaster on the basis of the construction industry rebuilding afterwards? That's some hyperbole I have yet to hear out of the right-wing.
"If the oil price crosses above the Etp maximum oil price curve within the next month, I will leave the forum." --SumYunGai (9/21/2016)
ennui2
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Lore » Wed 30 Sep 2015, 21:38:22

That's the opposite of creative destruction. Havoc from storms while a short term job creator is more than offset by financial capital, real estate and resource losses.
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
... Theodore Roosevelt
Lore
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Apneaman » Wed 30 Sep 2015, 21:48:02

ennui2, expecting it? Fuck buddy they been doing it for years. You really should read "The Shock Doctrine" for an introduction of how they do this. See how they cashed in on Katrina. Nothing helpwise could happen unless these parasites got paid. Also - see Iraq. Rightwinger does not really apply to most of these people as many are apolitical - as most greedy rich power hungry cunts are. The political teams are just for dividing and ruling and so is the religion. These people are only concerned with power wealth and status. The Bush family would publically convert to Islam if that was what was required to maintain their privilege.
Apneaman
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Apneaman » Wed 30 Sep 2015, 21:54:55

Earning a profit from global warming

https://systemicdisorder.wordpress.com/ ... l-warming/
Apneaman
Permanently Banned

Next

Return to Economics & Finance