Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Hunger games: a post peak oil movie

A forum to either submit your own review of a book, video or audio interview, or to post reviews by others.

Re: Hunger games: a post peak oil movie

Unread postby careinke » Tue 27 Mar 2012, 16:04:53

I saw the movie yesterday and enjoyed it. Like Avatar, I think it is best watched on a big screen. I may actually go watch it again on IMAX. For all of you Nitpicking the reality of the premise, let me remind you it is FICTION. That is what FICTION does, suspends reality, to tell a good story. It is a good story.

For those of you who don't like fiction as a genre, you can always go back to watching the Bachelor, or Biggest Loser, or even Dancing with the Stars. Who am I to judge what you believe is entertainment.
Cliff (Start a rEVOLution, grow a garden)
careinke
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Pretorian » Tue 27 Mar 2012, 16:34:49

Sixstrings wrote: I wonder though, will the popcorn eating masses "get it?"

Does it matter?
Pretorian
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Revi » Tue 27 Mar 2012, 21:31:59

Here in Maine we live in a bit of a resource based economy. The big companies own all the land and most of us work for them or try to eke a living on the margins of society. My wife said when she saw the Hunger Games that it wasn't that different from reality.
Deep in the mud and slime of things, even there, something sings.
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby rangerone314 » Tue 27 Mar 2012, 23:38:20

The Practician wrote:The energy-nerd in me finds the level of technology posessed by the capitol to be just a little far fetched considering their energy base seems to consist entirely of the dregs of Appalachian coal. I'm with Beery on the quality of the writing, but that's what I was expecting from a pulp page turner aimed at young adults.

I think the population is supposed to be greatly reduced? I think before one battle in the books they got 800 people out of District 12 before it got bombed and I think that was supposed to be 10% of that district.

They probably use coal-to-liquids technology to get vehicle fuel.
An ideology is by definition not a search for TRUTH-but a search for PROOF that its point of view is right

Equals barter and negotiate-people with power just take

You cant defend freedom by eliminating it-unknown

Our elected reps should wear sponsor patches on their suits so we know who they represent-like Nascar-Roy
rangerone314
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby The Practician » Wed 28 Mar 2012, 01:16:41

rangerone314 wrote:I think the population is supposed to be greatly reduced? I think before one battle in the books they got 800 people out of District 12 before it got bombed and I think that was supposed to be 10% of that district.

They probably use coal-to-liquids technology to get vehicle fuel.
(bold mine)

Yeah, Exactly. I'm not buying the idea of a technotopian capitol with invisible hover crafts, skyscrapers, and high speed rail, supported by a population of only about 100 000, or even ten times that number, Fischer-Tropsch or not.

For the record this is just nerding out for it's own sake, not a serious criticism of the book.
The Practician
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Revi » Thu 29 Mar 2012, 13:22:57

It's an old story. The people who fight our wars are increasingly from the "districts". A lot of people sign up in the Philippines and other colonies to fight and die for the empire. How is that different from people fighting it out in an arena for the capitol's amusement. We live in a world not too different from that presented in the Hunger Games.
Deep in the mud and slime of things, even there, something sings.
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby davep » Thu 29 Mar 2012, 13:31:28

I watched it last night. It was better than I expected for a teen film.

But as mentioned above, how do the people in the shiny capital live so well without value add industries? Where's the ipod and other gadget zone?
What we think, we become.
davep
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Unread postby Rod_Cloutier » Thu 29 Mar 2012, 13:40:12

We live in a world not too different from that presented in the Hunger Games.

This is what struck a chord with me seeing the film. This isn't fiction, this is our world right now. The advanced first world using technology to supress and dominate everyone else.

I won't be surprised when the occupy movement starts using the 3 fingers held high in the air as a show of solidarity and revulsion at the powers that be. If enough people see this film the 1% is going down!
Rod_Cloutier
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby DomusAlbion » Thu 29 Mar 2012, 14:29:06

I downloaded a sample of the Kindle edition of the first book. I found the writing mediocre at best and the world view so simplistic that I decided that reading the full book is not worth my time or the $5 to pay for the full download.

Excusing this rather low level of writing by saying that there were critics of Dickens' writing in his time is a completely false comparison. Dickens was a master of the English language and he knew how to write to both inform and entertain. Collins' writing is flat, simple and two-dimensional and geared to less than an eighth grade comprehension level. Bah Humbug!

Having said that, I will probably still rent the DVD when it comes out.
"Modern Agriculture is the use of land to convert petroleum into food."
-- Albert Bartlett

"It will be a dark time. But for those who survive, I suspect it will be rather exciting."
-- James Lovelock
DomusAlbion
Expert
Expert

Unread postby rangerone314 » Thu 29 Mar 2012, 20:28:32

Meh. Only movies I'm going to for sure are Dark Knight Rises, Prometheus, and Total Recall.
An ideology is by definition not a search for TRUTH-but a search for PROOF that its point of view is right

Our elected reps should wear sponsor patches on their suits so we know who they represent-like Nascar-Roy
rangerone314
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby rangerone314 » Mon 02 Apr 2012, 01:00:21

Said the heck with it, and took my teenager to see "Hunger Games"; good movie & we both liked it.

rangerone314
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby careinke » Mon 02 Apr 2012, 02:36:31

rangerone314 wrote:Said the heck with it, and took my teenager to see "Hunger Games"; good movie & we both liked it.

Gotta like a person not afraid to change his mind. :)
Cliff (Start a rEVOLution, grow a garden)
careinke
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Cog » Thu 05 Apr 2012, 06:16:33

I read the three book Hunger Game series a while back and then watched the movie with my daughter. I was not impressed with the movie. I much preferred the dystopian movies of The Road and the Book of Eli.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Thu 05 Apr 2012, 08:35:41

As far as prophetic vision goes, the concept of lateral warfare, never ending geurilla warfare; anti state skirmish after transit attack after infrastructure disruption/ these are much more likely to be dominant preoccupations in a post collapse world. Folks making a damn nuisance of themselves, a never ending pain in the behind and cause for lack of sleep. Yeah, you can hunt them like pigs using stealth drones, even in your own country, legally. But realistically how many? Ever watched the history of Laos? We all heard about Vietnam, but Laos was the US first full blown sustained air bombing campaign with not a boot on the ground. Every attempt was made to obliterate the human population over a 9 month period. It didn't work. In a post cheap energy, cheap airflight, explosives and high tech operating sytems, metals, capable individuals to lead the necessary micro civilizations needing to emerge... It still won't work. The world is not somebody's oyster, it is a vast macrocosm of life, capable of regenerating to an unbelievable extent, given time and lack of interference. There are always limits to control and compromises must be made by those wanting loyalty from their subjects. Writing truly solid prophetic vision would be a sure money spinner industry to get into, were there one...
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Thu 05 Apr 2012, 08:59:19

A bone dry desert for all but 6 of the last hundred years, the entire Diamantina Basin is flooding, for an unprecedented 3rd year running. There are untold millions of breeding birds, a huge recovery for many species struggling for space and food to breed for decades since the last big floods in the mid 1980's. Nature is awesome.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsoy6PrkX9M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3StZkIixzU
(my point is that, you get down anywhere near those numbers of people across such vast areas, next nice 3 breeding cycles, you are having roast pelican or Swan or pig or crocodile, every night, until it's time to follow the rain, or for a general climate base die off.) The world is not the yuppies farm post oil, it is more like a feralized, hybridized wilderness capable of well screwing us up. As in all of us. Also capable of easily sustaining a lot more of us than the sort of numbers aluded to)
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby Pretorian » Thu 05 Apr 2012, 14:03:11

I've read about 100 pages of the first book, the story is ok, but I thought it was written for foreign kids that try to learn English. I guess nothing else can be sold to a modern reader. I liked the movie though.
Pretorian
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Serial_Worrier » Fri 06 Apr 2012, 17:15:07

Oh I'd definitely be an elite in the Capitol watching the grubby Districteers dying in the arena for my amusement!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Serial_Worrier
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Rod_Cloutier » Sun 24 Nov 2013, 11:40:38

The second dystopia movie in this series came out this weekend, called 'Catching fire'; I saw it twice yesterday. Not as good about the first film, and it ended on a cliffhanger, of a cliffhanger. The third installment of the series will be split into two films launched 6 months apart, starting in November of 2014.

The trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... w_Lqds#t=0

Lenny Kravitz who starred in both films; stated in an interview that the film is really about the social tension we are experiencing as a civilization 'right now', that was a brave statement to the press. I think we should all adopt the resistance pose they use in these films: people put their first, middle, and index finger together, kiss them then hold them up in the air in defiance of authority. Authority has power and there is little any one of us can do about this fact. Thousands or millions of people doing this simple act, standing together in unity with their hands held high together in unity, is a step in the right direction:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... U8x6kE#t=1
Rod_Cloutier
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

PreviousNext

Return to Book/Media Reviews