Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Hope Kills

Re: Hope Kills

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Wed 04 May 2016, 20:55:09

ennui2 wrote:
Plantagenet wrote:I'm hoping my trip to Cuba in May will be great! But I'm not going to waste any time hoping for magical CO2 reductions.

Certainly not, otherwise you might reconsider contributing to AGW with your flight to Cuba.

This little exchange reminds me...
My "favorite" people are the ones who, for example, chastise me for using plastic forks, instead of hand washing them, because of the tiny net increase in AGW this supposedly causes. (This comes to about 5 plastic forks used a week).

These people on average drive 3 to 5 times further than I do in less fuel efficient cars than I drive, fly extensively, have kids (I don't) including internationally every year, live in a house several times the size of the one I live in, don't try to minimize home heating and cooling like I do, etc. etc.

I'm willing to bet that in their minds, while criticizing my choice of forks (yes, I'm guilty of being a lazy bachelor, so sue me), that they are proud of themselves for being so good for the environment. :roll:
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Re: Hope Kills

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Wed 04 May 2016, 20:59:17

ennui2 wrote:
Plantagenet wrote:I'm hoping my trip to Cuba in May will be great! But I'm not going to waste any time hoping for magical CO2 reductions.

Certainly not, otherwise you might reconsider contributing to AGW with your flight to Cuba.

This little exchange reminds me...
My "favorite" people are the ones who, for example, chastise me for using plastic forks, instead of hand washing metal forks, because of the tiny net increase in AGW this supposedly causes. (This comes to about 5 plastic forks used a week).

These people on average drive 3 to 5 times further than I do annually in less fuel efficient cars than I drive, fly extensively including internationally every year (I don't fly), have multiple kids on average (I have no kids), live in a house several times the size of the one I live in, don't try to minimize home heating and cooling like I do, etc. etc.

I'm not religious, but I do like certain religious stories/writing. This reminds me of the "Remove the log from thine own eye before trying to remove the speck from thy brother's eye" advice.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Previous

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate