Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Homeland Security warns of catastrophic Russian virus

For discussions of events and conditions not necessarily related to Peak Oil.

Re: Homeland Security warns of catastrophic Russian virus

Unread postby Plantagenet » Thu 20 Nov 2014, 19:49:33

The good news is that the US has already provided the Russians with a big red "reset" button that the Russians can use when they activate their Trojan horse virus and down the US economy.

Lets reset back to the cold war! Yes...won't that be great!
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Sixstrings » Thu 20 Nov 2014, 21:01:10

vox_mundi wrote:Six - This should help you sleep better (or not)

NSA Director: China can damage US power grid

Thanks for the update, I do like to be aware of what's going on even after I get tired of digging it all up myself. :lol:

I'm an ahead of the curve, and trends person. When I've finally played something all out and get bored of it, THEN it goes huge. I had a smartphone before anyone knew what such a thing was. People used to look at me like I'm nuts, in a restaurant, tapping at a screen with a web browser on the phone.

So anyhow that's what worries me.

If I'm panicking, then everyone ELSE will in like one or a couple years from now.

Here's what the Pentagon ought to be telling the Chinese -- US power grid goes down, and we track it to you, then there will be supercarrier battlegroups in the South China Sea and we'll claim those little barren islands you like so much and we will put missiles on them and US bases.

US power grid going down is pretty much a declaration of war, it doesn't hardly get worse or more disruptive than that.

And gov needs to do something to protect the power transformers. If any of those get taken out, it takes years or something crazy like that to even replace one of them.

Not that anyone listens to me, what do I know, I'm wrong about everything, just ask Keith. :lol:
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Keith_McClary » Thu 20 Nov 2014, 23:15:34

Flood the Web with phoney scare articles causing impressionable people to panic.
Facebook knows you're a dog.
Keith_McClary
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Sixstrings » Fri 21 Nov 2014, 01:50:00

Keith_McClary wrote:Flood the Web with phoney scare articles causing impressionable people to panic.

And you have your head in the sand, all due respect.

I didn't post the latest in this thread about china and the power grid -- vox_mundi did.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Keith_McClary » Sat 22 Nov 2014, 19:42:03

Newfie wrote:There are some pretty stupid transit agencies out there, but, the majority I work with have their control systems on dedicated fiber not connected to the Internet in any fashion.

So the baddies may take down
... complex industrial operations like oil and gas pipelines, power transmission grids, water distribution and filtration systems, wind turbines and even some nuclear plants.
but our transit systems will be OK.
Facebook knows you're a dog.
Keith_McClary
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Sat 22 Nov 2014, 20:02:18

Maybe. It has to do with the nature of the utility.

Some utilities, such as transit agencies and power plants, either have a dedicated fiber along their ROW or exist in a confined area which can be serviced by an inhouse fiber.

Others, think water distribution, don't have that capability.

I would venture that most pipelines and transmission lines do not have an inhouse dedicated fiber. Pipe lines often have leased out their ROW to commercial fiber companies but that does not mean they have their own fiber.

The question is, assuming they are running some kind of IP or Ethernet connectivity, does their Comms infrastructure touch the commercial Web? If not they are pretty secure.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Newfie » Sat 22 Nov 2014, 20:05:20

This may be of interest to some. Not something I will willingly tuck under my pillow.

http://www.nerc.com/pa/CI/ESISAC/Pages/default.aspx
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Previous

Return to Geopolitics & Global Economics