PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Heat Waves 2017

Moderator: Tanada

Heat Waves 2017

Unread postby M_B_S » Mon 09 Jan 2017, 05:47:10

Heat Wave in Australia 45 C°

JANUARY 9, 20174:58PM

As scorching temperatures engulf NSW over the next few days, the danger of bushfires will increase across parts of the state.
The threat of fire will be at its greatest on Wednesday, when the mercury will hit 38C in Sydney and climb above 40C in other parts of the state.
"There will be a very high fire danger in the Hunter, Sydney, through the Riverina and Central Western Plains and through most of the state," Rural Fire Service Inspector Ben Shepherd said on Monday.
"West of the Great Divide there has been considerable grass growth, given that we came out of the third-wettest winter on record ... and that could act as tinder."

A heatwave is expected to intensify to severe or extreme levels past 45C this week around inland NSW...

Yes 2017 will be warmer then 2016 on earth without volcano or astroid megaton impact.

+ 30 Gt CO2 and + XX Gt CH4

Have FUN driving YOUR SUV
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWNWi-ZWL3c
M_B_S
M_B_S
Fission
Fission

Re: Heat Waves 2017

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Mon 09 Jan 2017, 08:44:08

M_B_S wrote:Heat Wave in Australia 45 C°

JANUARY 9, 20174:58PM

As scorching temperatures engulf NSW over the next few days, the danger of bushfires will increase across parts of the state.
The threat of fire will be at its greatest on Wednesday, when the mercury will hit 38C in Sydney and climb above 40C in other parts of the state.
"There will be a very high fire danger in the Hunter, Sydney, through the Riverina and Central Western Plains and through most of the state," Rural Fire Service Inspector Ben Shepherd said on Monday.
"West of the Great Divide there has been considerable grass growth, given that we came out of the third-wettest winter on record ... and that could act as tinder."

A heatwave is expected to intensify to severe or extreme levels past 45C this week around inland NSW...

Yes 2017 will be warmer then 2016 on earth without volcano or astroid megaton impact.

+ 30 Gt CO2 and + XX Gt CH4

Have FUN driving YOUR SUV
M_B_S

As It is 0 Deg. F here this morning I'm going to let my SUV sit and stay close to the fire.
Best of luck with your Southern wildfire season.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby M_B_S » Mon 16 Jan 2017, 08:26:54

Death prompts warning before Qld heatwave
JANUARY 16, 20174:59PM
Shae McDonald
http://www.news.com.au/national/breakin ... 0e35d5c8e9
People of all ages are being urged to stay cool during this week's heatwave after a 30-year-old Brisbane man died of heatstroke while out dirt bike riding.
Temperatures are tipped to climb as high as eight degrees above average as the second heatwave in as many weeks makes its way across much of the east coast of Australia.

The Bureau of Meteorology has issued a series of warnings for most of Queensland and NSW, as well as parts of South Australia and the Northern Territory.
Brisbane should reach a top of 35C on Wednesday, while temperatures in the west of the state could soar to 41C.
Sydney is also in forecast to reach 36C several days this week and as high as 43C in the northwest.

2016 was brutal but wait 2017 will be warmer....

https://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2017/0 ... p-j12.html

>410ppm CO2

=> MAD MAX
M_B_S
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Tanada » Mon 16 Jan 2017, 10:57:27

How do the folks who post around here define 'Heat Wave'?

I ask for a simple reason, here in northwest Ohio we have had two weeks of on and off temperatures 20 degrees F above average accompanied by heavy rain that has washed away all the snow and caused minor flooding. However we have not come very close to setting new high temperature records. While it has been unusually warm it hasn't been unprecedentedly warm. To break record highs we would need to be 30-35 F above average daily highs and we have only flirted with that twice since December 1, 2016 and not at all in January 2017.
I should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, write, balance accounts, build a wall, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, pitch manure, program a computer, cook, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby kiwichick » Mon 16 Jan 2017, 15:31:49

kiwichick
Fission
Fission

Unread postby dohboi » Mon 16 Jan 2017, 17:24:37

We've had similar weather here in MN, T, and more predicted to come.

What I notice is that the night temps re staying near the day-time highs...a pretty clear fingerprint for GW.

Is that the pattern there, too?
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby aspera » Mon 16 Jan 2017, 19:14:25

d and T: Here in SE Michigan we're having much the same weather. No record warmth, but no snow left, rain with flooding.

But I have noticed the same pattern: the night temperatures are not falling as much as is typical. The dew points have been a bit higher than normal (i.e., preventing night time fall off). Expect highs near 50 degrees F later in the week; rarely near a record but unusual for so many strings of higher-than-normal days.
Plant a garden. Soon.
aspera
Coal
Coal

Unread postby Tanada » Mon 16 Jan 2017, 23:01:08

dohboi wrote:We've had similar weather here in MN, T, and more predicted to come.

What I notice is that the night temps re staying near the day-time highs...a pretty clear fingerprint for GW.

Is that the pattern there, too?

You made me curious so I just looked back over the first two weeks of the year. Of the 15 days of posted temperatures three of them were unusually close together for day and night time temperatures, 6, 6 and 7 degree changes respectively. Of the remaining 12 days we have differences of 16, 13, 20, 9, 10, 13, 10, 15, 22, 28, 27, 12. Funny thing is that stretch with 9, 10, 13, 10 was a cold snap with teens during the day and single digits at night.

I would have to dig deep to confirm but IIRC the average difference between winter highs and lows is 20 F and if that is true then it is interesting only three days this month have had spreads larger than that and more have had narrower changes as would be predicted by accumulation of greenhouse gasses.

Whoops didn't have to dig after all Weather dot com has an average high/low graph right below the data set I was using. Average day/night difference in my location,
December 14 F,
January 15 F,
February 17 F,
March 19 F.

So upon review I guess my day/night spreads here have been average for this month. I can't speak for your location, but I guess things are boringly average here. Looking at the warm spell and the arctic blast in between I average out normal lol.
I should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, write, balance accounts, build a wall, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, pitch manure, program a computer, cook, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Tue 17 Jan 2017, 08:03:40

Back in the day we had recording thermometers to record weather and concrete curing temperatures. The pen drew a line graph as the clock scrolled the paper tape under it. The daily lows and highs spread varied with the seasons and length of day as short winter days did not have as long to warm up the air like a high and long duration summer sun.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby aspera » Wed 18 Jan 2017, 15:38:24

Today's NOAA/NWS discussion for my area discussed the high temperatures and found nothing out of the ordinary (see text below, emphasis added). I sent them an email to ask if they could do the same discussion but on the night-time lows and dew points.

... None-the-less, the stretched out trough axis and plentiful gulf moisture lifting north into the Great Lakes region on Friday appears to be sufficient to generate rain showers, as 00z Euro indicating 850 mb dew pts around 7 C range, close to record climatology territory for mid January.

Previously mentioned strong jet/upper wave to lift up through the Plains over the weekend, maintaining the mild/deep layer southwest flow over southeast Michigan into Sunday morning, and good shot for Detroit to hit 50 degrees both Saturday and Sunday, as 925 mb temps reach or exceed 10 C per 00z EURO. We have already had 2 days (Jan 11-12) exceeding 50 degrees, which is the mean number days for the month of January. Looking further at climatology records, 5 days of 50+ for the January (which looks doable) is fairly rare, occurring about once out of every 10 years.

Source: http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php ... glossary=1
Plant a garden. Soon.
aspera
Coal
Coal

Unread postby dohboi » Thu 19 Jan 2017, 01:52:23

Just got over my own personal 'heatwave'...oral thermometer temps pushing 104F (40C) for the last couple days. Sure glad that seems to be over. Now just left with the permanent cough that everyone around here seems to have this winter.

Is this stuff hitting where you all are living?
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Subjectivist » Sat 21 Jan 2017, 16:13:45

Its about 30 degrees above normal in Toledo right now.
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby yellowcanoe » Sat 21 Jan 2017, 17:17:35

January in Eastern Ontario has been warmer than the El Nino driven weather we had a year ago. With the long range forecast showing above normal temperatures until the end of the month there is a good chance the entire month will have been warmer than last January. Without El Nino, my expectation had been that we'd revert back to the Ridiculously Resilient Ridge/Terribly Tenacious Trough conditions we had seen in the 2013-14 and 2014-15 winters. It's still possible we'll get the TTT back for March/April like we did last year.
yellowcanoe
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby M_B_S » Sun 29 Jan 2017, 12:24:50

Chile Wildfires Destroy Town as Record Heatwave Stokes Blaze

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... -and-homes
by Javiera Quiroga
26. Januar 2017, 13:25 MEZ

Record Heatwave

Stoking the flames has been a heatwave across central Chile, with temperatures regularly peaking above 35 degrees Celsius. Yesterday, the temperature peaked at 37.4C in Santiago, a record for the city that came just five weeks after the previous record was set, according to the country’s meteorological unit. The city has often been clouded in smoke from the forest fires....

2017 will be warmer than 2016 for sure @ > 410ppm CO2
I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears and sweat.

M_B_S
M_B_S
Fission
Fission

Unread postby peripato » Mon 30 Jan 2017, 21:44:01

Cool change coming as Sydney's hottest January draws to a close

Sydneysiders have tossed and turned through another sweltering night as forecasts predict this will go down in history as the city’s hottest January on record.

The CBD didn't drop below 25.4 degrees overnight, the northern suburb of Terrey Hills didn't drop below 27.4 degrees, and out west in Penrith it was still 30C at midnight, according to the weather bureau.

The mercury was already above 30 degrees by 8am today, with temperatures set to hit as high as 39C until the southerly cool change arrives at midday, when temperatures will drop by more than 10C.

A cool change will hit the city by 1pm today and temperatures will drop to about 24C, said a Bureau of Meteorology spokesman said. But it will be short-lived though as extreme heat is expected to return by the weekend.

Lol...
"Don’t panic, Wall St. is safe!"
peripato
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby M_B_S » Thu 02 Feb 2017, 11:12:50

Parts of QLD to hit 48 degrees: Heatwave to go on for days
Jacinda Tutty, The Courier-Mail | 2nd Feb 2017 5:19 PM

BRACE yourself Queenslanders we're in for a hot one.

Unseasonably hot and dry weather is sticking around for another week with temperatures reaching as high as 48C in the interior of the state.

A hot weather pattern is hovering over much of Queensland, but unlike previous heatwaves this summer the Bureau of Meteorology doesn't think we can shake this one off as easily.

"Normally you get a heatwave for a day or two before a cool change comes through," forecaster Rick Threlfall said.

"But there's no sign of any cool change until next week.

"It will get gradually hotter and hotter each day."

http://www.thereporter.com.au/news/part ... s/3138985/
"It will get gradually hotter and hotter each day."
Yes and this is true for the planet too.
M_B_S
M_B_S
Fission
Fission

Unread postby JV153 » Fri 10 Feb 2017, 04:18:44

Svalbard is warm right now. Well north of Norway and Finland, and they've had many days well into +4 degrees C or so in January and February.
JV153

Unread postby onlooker » Fri 10 Feb 2017, 14:30:14

https://higginsstormchasing.com/welcome ... australia/
Welcome to hell on Earth in Australia
“"If you think the economy is more important than the environment, try holding your breath while counting your money"”
onlooker
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby M_B_S » Mon 13 Feb 2017, 14:14:27

Australia’s extreme heatwave is a preview of things to come
13 February 2017

The heatwave down under is unusual even for Australia – but it may not be so for much longer. The country is in the grip of one of the most ferocious heatwaves on record, and climate change is being held accountable.

The scorching heat began in South Australia and Victoria last week, before spreading to New South Wales and the Australian Capital Territory over the weekend. The heatwave is now moving north through Queensland.

Parts of South Australia and Victoria reached 46 °C, while New South Wales and Queensland recorded temperatures above 47 °C. At least five towns in New South Wales and four in Queensland had their hottest day ever recorded over the weekend.

Moree in northern New South Wales is closest to breaking the state heatwave record of 50 consecutive days over 35 °C. Today marks the 49th day in a row, and the forecast shows no signs of any cooling over the next week.....
https://www.newscientist.com/article/21 ... s-to-come/

“Without a doubt, these heatwaves will become more regular,” says Perkins-Kirkpatrick. “In 30, 40, 50 years, they will be relatively normal. They might not occur every summer, but they will occur much more often than now.”
Yes its only the beginning of 2017

Are you still driving your SUV?

Have fun with the MAD MAX SCENARIO

I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears and sweat.

M_B_S
M_B_S
Fission
Fission

Unread postby kiwichick » Tue 14 Feb 2017, 03:10:51

even the bats are struggling...............

http://i.stuff.co.nz/world/australia/89 ... a-heatwave
kiwichick
Fission
Fission

Next

Return to Environment