Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Has the Great Contraction Begun?

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

Re: Has the Great Contraction Begun?

Unread postby americandream » Wed 09 Mar 2016, 15:25:14

ennui2 wrote:
dohboi wrote:I can't even figure out what the various positions are of people on the here any more.

I'm not sure there are any anymore. It's just people taking personal pot-shots at other posters.
no

I am consistent. We have to endure capitalism to advance. It is a necessary evil. There are no guarantees but the past is gone. For good. We understand its mechanics, we harness its potential, we render it internalised in a loop and we move as a conscious species to maximise our potential.

But wet dreams about kudzu apes chewing on neighbouring apes for a fast snack are the wet dreams of the uninformed. We will either succeed in the evolutionary experiment or become redundant.
americandream
Permanently Banned

Unread postby dohboi » Wed 09 Mar 2016, 15:32:37

Sooo, so far dolanbaker thinks that if the supply of a commodity like grains goes down, the price will go up. Fair enough, though fairly ECON 101.

And americandream predicts that...the past is gone.

So if crashing supply leads to vast increases in price, db will be proved wrong.

If suddenly we start to exactly relive the past, then ad will be proved wrong.

I'm not betting against either of them!! :lol: :lol:

Anyone care to make even slightly less predictable predictions?
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby americandream » Wed 09 Mar 2016, 15:55:03

Dohboi. we can as much relive the pastoral past of yesteryear, if there was ever one, as could our wheeled ancestors, the cave. This set of social relations has a specific trajectory, it carries fixed risks that we cannot walk away from. We move in time through evolutionary points of no return. As Marx noted those centuries ago:

Modern bourgeois society, with its relations of production, of exchange and of property, a society that has conjured up such gigantic means of production and of exchange, is like the sorcerer who is no longer able to control the powers of the nether world whom he has called up by his spells.
americandream
Permanently Banned

Unread postby ennui2 » Wed 09 Mar 2016, 16:07:59

pstarr wrote:What explains a simultaneous grain-production, grain stock, and grain-price decline

More cognitive dissonance on your part, of course. How many times have peakers explained the relationship between oil prices and food prices? The whole ratio of FF used to produce a given calorie of food schtick? Remember? This was part of the logic behind connecting the dots between oil and, let's say, the Arab spring, right? So wouldn't it be fair to say that the price of food swings in large part with the price of oil? Is that really so mysterious?

So oil glut = food glut.
"If the oil price crosses above the Etp maximum oil price curve within the next month, I will leave the forum." --SumYunGai (9/21/2016)
ennui2
Permanently Banned

Unread postby marmico » Wed 09 Mar 2016, 16:18:22

The FAO estimated stock to utilization ratio in 2016 is 24.9%, down from 25.2% in 2015. Cast back to 2004, when pstarr initiated the first of his 22,000 posts on this blog and the actual ratio was lower. Hmmm...12 years later the inventory to consumption ratio of cereals is higher.
marmico
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Wed 09 Mar 2016, 16:23:25

dolanbaker wrote:
pstarr wrote:Yes the article made no mention of falling food production. But I did. I looked it up.
Dolan, do we live in a different universe? Or do you not read what was written? Prices are down, production is down, oil is down but there are more people to feed.

This doesn't make sense unless you are willing to grasp what a general contraction really is. It is the opposite of an inflation. Prices go down, money and credit disappear and people go hungry.

Prices are down, production is down, but stocks are high.
It appears to me that producers have simply decided to produce less to avoid a price collapse due to lack of demand
I would not consider stocks as high given that they represent just a three month supply at present usage rates. Different farmers have different production costs. As prices fall some of them have the price they can receive fall below their production costs.Those farmers drop out or switch to other crops and that is where the reduction in planting and production comes from.
The increase in world population by itself does not increase demand because much of the 85 million a year increase is in the poorest countries in the world and they have no money to buy more food. Many will starve to death without ever making a ripple on world markets.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby marmico » Wed 09 Mar 2016, 16:58:34

That 24.9%> 25.2% is really statistical noise. Yep.
marmico
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby ennui2 » Wed 09 Mar 2016, 17:51:40

pstarr wrote:I have a good answer, but you and the rest of the cornies will just sneer.

If you've got something to add to the discussion, add it, fer chrissakes. Just stop the pointless teasing and snark-fest.
"If the oil price crosses above the Etp maximum oil price curve within the next month, I will leave the forum." --SumYunGai (9/21/2016)
ennui2
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Tanada » Wed 09 Mar 2016, 17:58:42

Here is my theory, grain being converted to Ethanol has fallen substantially in the last 18 months so that has created a surplus of grain driving prices down in the USA and discouraging farmers from planting as much corn as they planted in 2010-2014.

Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby marmico » Wed 09 Mar 2016, 18:03:46

Oh, as a kindergartner you should learn your directions. That "24.9%> 25.2%" is incorrect. It's 24.9% < 25.2%. Typos happen. Must be plenty of typos in your curriculum vitae after 22,000 posts.

Why don't you wait until the original estimates become more precise estimates and then become empirical data? Otherwise, it's all noise, no signal.

Idjits that first came onboard in the 2002-2012 commodity boom have no currency in the 2016 commodity bust.
marmico
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby dolanbaker » Wed 09 Mar 2016, 18:05:11

Tanada wrote:Here is my theory, grain being converted to Ethanol has fallen substantially in the last 18 months so that has created a surplus of grain driving prices down in the USA and discouraging farmers from planting as much corn as they planted in 2010-2014.

That makes sense, there can't be much profit in ethanol these days.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.:Anonymous
Our whole economy is based on planned obsolescence.
Hungrymoggy "I am now predicting that Europe will NUKE ITSELF sometime in the first week of January"
dolanbaker
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby marmico » Wed 09 Mar 2016, 18:37:13

Well if only you knew about the ethanol blending wall in the U.S.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/ ... f-gasoline

Corn ain't FAO global cereal.

Oh, back on topic, the Great Contraction hasn't begun.
marmico
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby dohboi » Wed 09 Mar 2016, 18:53:33

Why don't you think it has? What would you accept as evidence that it has?
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby onlooker » Wed 09 Mar 2016, 20:22:33

Great article on how the West specifically the elites and elite banks, corporations etc. are after totally looted 3rd World countries now turned on itself to loot itself. That is what happens when Capitalism knows know bounds and is not reigned in. Guess we are in the West are now getting a taste of our own medicine. Oh and tell me how this NOT another sign of the Great Contraction? It is.
http://www.economicpopulist.org/content ... tself-5912
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

PreviousNext

Return to Economics & Finance