Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Has the danger of Peak Oil passed?

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

Re: Has the danger of Peak Oil passed?

Unread postby ennui2 » Mon 18 Jul 2016, 23:49:13

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

PStarrese translation = I just lost the argument and I'm a sore loser.

"If the oil price crosses above the Etp maximum oil price curve within the next month, I will leave the forum." --SumYunGai (9/21/2016)
ennui2
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Whatever » Mon 18 Jul 2016, 23:53:46

rockdoc123 wrote:
Demand in countries all over the world collapsed and never returned after the 2005 and the peak of conventional oil. You want to play oil trader games. I am not interested. This thread is about whether or not peak oil danger is in the past. It most certainly is not.

wheres your evidence? OIl trader? This is EIA data. Please show us the evidence demand collapsed after 2005. It certainly doesn't show up in the gasoline consumption numbers nor does it show up anywhere in any EIA data.

It amazes me how you can make statements that have no factual basis and stick to them in the face of data to the contrary.

Hey rockdoc. Why are you trying to hijack this thread? No one wants to re-re-re-rehash this boring old supply and demand sh*t you love to go on and on about. There are plenty of other threads for that.

This thread is called "Has the danger of Peak Oil passed?" Are you claiming that it has?

By the way, have you read the Korowicz paper?

---Futilitist 8)
Whatever
Permanently Banned

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Tue 19 Jul 2016, 00:01:38

What - A valid point about staying on topic. Towards that end it would seem that we first need to define what the "danger of PO" is before we can render judgement on its passing. I'll let you and others set those parameters. Thanks in advance.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby rockdoc123 » Tue 19 Jul 2016, 00:02:29

You know rockdoc, I learned a lot from you and RM. It impressed me that oil professionals would share their experience, knowledge and wisdom with us newbies. I even remember when you said (years ago) that in your learned opinion oil would peak in 2015. In spite of my skepticism and impatience (I was sure that 2005 would hold) I kept my mouth shut and never insulted you. Never to this day. Fuck that, huh? Times change lol

You are just an old man, an industry burnout and I am done. Ignore. See ya.

Interesting....the minute you are asked to verify your statements with actual data you resort to name calling. It was quite simple if you believe demand never picked up after 2005 then please explain why each and every chart you look at with supply and demand shows a relatively steady increase from 2005 to recent with a bit of a dip during the 2008 2009 recession. I can post a number of charts from IEA, BP and a number of banks/brokers that all show the same thing and you can look at product demand which will also show the same thing ( with the exception of a very recent decrease in diesel demand) so I find it incredulous that you make these statements but can't support them. Easy enough you just ignore anyone who puts you in a corner and forces you to reassess your paradigm. A bit like a small child covering his ears and repeating....nah, nah, nah, I can't hear you. Obviously makes you feel better but not very convincing from an argument standpoint.

As to my prediction on peak it was based on the best data available (Wood Mackenzie) and it included light, super light, heavy and all other grades of crude. Why would you split out the grades when they are all largely fungible for a variety of uses? Companies put oil of all sorts of grades into pipelines and what comes out at the end is a blend. The only reason to separate out heavy and condensates would be if you were interested in looking at the cost to upgrade or stabilize. When I made that prediction there was almost no data available on shales, hence it was not included. But I have said countless times on this site that my belief is we are on the long undulating portion of the peak curve due to economic reasons balancing out potential supply.

Believing in Peak Oil does not give you the privilege to just make data up, I'm afraid.

As to me being "just an old man, an industry burnout" all I can say is my age afforded me nearly 40 years of active exposure to all sorts of roles in the oil and gas industry from junior geologist through to senior executive and Board member. That gives me a bit of knowledge and perspective that I doubt you have so it's surprising you would attempt to denigrate me for it on a site that is after all dealing with energy production and all it's nuances. As to being burned out, hardly, if I was I still wouldn't be staying up to date with what was going on around the world in the industry.
rockdoc123
Expert
Expert

Unread postby rockdoc123 » Tue 19 Jul 2016, 00:11:18

Hey rockdoc. Why are you trying to hijack this thread? No one wants to re-re-re-rehash this boring old supply and demand sh*t you love to go on and on about. There are plenty of other threads for that.

not hijacking given all I'm asking for is evidence to the claim that was made global demand peaked in 2005. As to supply and demand not being important to Peak Oil I suspect you don't actually understand what it really is (as I've said numerous times on other threads). If you want to blame someone for changing topics you need to point your finger elsewhere.

This thread is called "Has the danger of Peak Oil passed?" Are you claiming that it has?

If you read the entire thread you would see that I don't. I've been on this board since 2005 or so and all along have pointed to my beliefs regarding peak.
rockdoc123
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Whatever » Tue 19 Jul 2016, 00:17:29

rockdoc123 wrote:

not hijacking given all I'm asking for is evidence to the claim that was made global demand peaked in 2005. As to supply and demand not being important to Peak Oil I suspect you don't actually understand what it really is (as I've said numerous times on other threads). If you want to blame someone for changing topics you need to point your finger elsewhere.

If you read the entire thread you would see that I don't. I've been on this board since 2005 or so and all along have pointed to my beliefs regarding peak.

Ooops. You missed one question:

Did you read the Korowicz paper?

---Futilitist 8)
Whatever
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Cog » Tue 19 Jul 2016, 02:10:31

pstarr has predicted the price of oil will go to zero this year. Lets see how that bizarre prediction works out for him.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby ennui2 » Tue 19 Jul 2016, 19:32:09

pstarr wrote:You'd better go back to your BB Gun thread or I will shoot you down with my brains.

That's the writing of an adult? Looks more like the bragging of an 8 year old.
"If the oil price crosses above the Etp maximum oil price curve within the next month, I will leave the forum." --SumYunGai (9/21/2016)
ennui2
Permanently Banned

Unread postby ennui2 » Tue 19 Jul 2016, 21:41:28

pstarr wrote:You find it necessary to defend our in-house fascist? Just to needle me?

No, just pointing out when you put your foot in your mouth, which is a full-time job.
ennui2
Permanently Banned

Unread postby AdamB » Wed 20 Jul 2016, 15:13:56

Cog wrote:pstarr has predicted the price of oil will go to zero this year. Lets see how that bizarre prediction works out for him.

Is there a consequence involved, or just him being wrong again or pretending it was all a joke because he got "carried away"?

Like, will he stop posting inaccurate information if it doesn't go to zero?
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby AdamB » Wed 20 Jul 2016, 15:16:23

Whatever wrote:Ooops. You missed one question:

Did you read the Korowicz paper?

---Futilitist 8)

More like ignored rather an missed. You can't defend your last claim, what's the point of dedicating any time or thought to another game of critical analysis versus cut and paste exercises that you can't defend, can't explain the processes when it turns out they don't work as advertised, and a bot could defend better?

Have you modified your favorite graph to demonstrate its accuracy over the course of time, or still sticking with just cherry picked information?
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Previous

Return to Peak Oil Discussion