Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Happy Talk

Re: Happy Talk

Unread postby onlooker » Sun 13 Aug 2017, 19:47:51

Wow, congratualations Newf. Sounds like your getting away from sources of tension or stress. Civilization and embittered people can certainly be among those sources. I am availaling myself of the nature of upstate NY, not the same but my Peace comes from within. I can be here on PO fairly often talking about so called doom yet I feel I have overcomed the fear and anxiety that it could provoke. Perhaps I have conquered my fears. So this puts in a positive spiritual mindframe and thus a good state. I can ask for no more. That is my happiness. and also my wifes.
“"If you think the economy is more important than the environment, try holding your breath while counting your money"”
onlooker
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Mon 14 Aug 2017, 23:27:42

Best spot I could find for such a not so happy incident. But one happy aspect: terrorists killing civilians for the sake of public notoriety have failed to some degree. If you only get news from the TV you may not be aware of a terrorist attack that killed 18 in the small west African country of Burkina Faso Sunday night. I've watched all the TV coverage today including my favorite...the BBC. And not one mention. But it was a big story in the Rockman's house as it went down: spent the night keeping the wife calm. Her daughter works for State at the embassy in the same town. Thank goodness for the net: was able to keep track of the kid thru the night. Basically she sheltered in place, got a good night sleep at home and went to work at the embassy Monday morning. Probably the safest place for her in the country thanks to the MSG.

Last attack in the country Al Q claimed responsibility. No claims yet. I suppose it was just bad timing on the part of the terrorists: N. Korea, Charlottesville, Sierra Leone mud slide, 70th anniversary of the India/Pakistan partitioning, and whatever local news stories got all the attention. Granted with only 18 dead not as big a headline grabber as incidents in France and England. And it was just in Africa. LOL.

Still odd: are terrorist attacks no longer news worthy unless the body count is 100+? But for whatever the reason it is good news that the attack didn't get much TV coverage...at least not in the US. It provided no tactical or strategic value for the terrorists whoever they might be...just potential media coverage. Of which there was very little. So a little bit of "happy talk" out of a sad event.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-40920338
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby baha » Tue 15 Aug 2017, 04:51:34

I can't see that as happy, Rockman.

We've discussed here how Africa get ignored by most Americans. I think it is an extension of the prejudice and bigotry that still exists in this country. You're right, I watched the news and heard nothing.

I'm glad your family is ok.
A Solar fuel spill is otherwise known as a sunny day!
The energy density of a tank of FF's doesn't matter if it's empty.

https://monitoringpublic.solaredge.com/solaredge-web/p/kiosk?guid=19844186-d749-40d6-b848-191e899b37db
baha
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Shaved Monkey » Tue 15 Aug 2017, 05:19:04

I finished my granite steps from the top off my block at the carpark down to the front porch.
Today I did the porch barricaded it and climbed back into the house via a ladder.
It was kinda of nice being locked in for the day, with my wife, we had poached eggs on sourdough toast for breakfast on the balcony and then a stir fry for lunch and watched some netflix ( I got 6 months for free,I will cancel in a few weeks when its up).
The front door opens tomorrow and the barricades come down :|
Ready to turn Zombies into WWOOFers
Shaved Monkey
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Newfie » Tue 15 Aug 2017, 05:59:25

OK, you got me. Pulling our collective legs like a centipede or straight talk?

What the heck you going on about?
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Tue 15 Aug 2017, 08:50:21

baha - Yeah, had to dig deep for any happiness. More like not as sad since the terrorists didn't get the headlines they were hoping for. Be nice if the lack of hyuped headlines were to set a precedence. But I doubt it.

BTW someone asked about the "MSG" in a pm. She's not protected by monosodium glutamate. LOL. MSG = Marine Security Guard. On the rare occasions when I visit I try to hang out with them: they might have access to Blue Bell ice cream at their Navy store. If they are lucky enough to have one. Lots of them come from Texas.

A funny story to lighten the mood. A few years ago when she was posted in Athens the Marines got their BBIC. But then they had the contamination problem at the plant and the Navy store was instructed to dump their inventory. The jarheads took exception to the order and words were exchanged. But they still lost out...and so did the Rockman.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby dohboi » Tue 15 Aug 2017, 10:07:18

ROCK, hope you and yours stay safe.

There are terrorist attacks all the time in the Mideast and elsewhere that get scant news, generally. It makes people think that most Islamic violence it against the West, when in fact the vast majority of it is against other Muslims (and other locals in whatever 'obscure' place they happen to live in). For the record, I did notice this incident, in the Guardian, I believe.

Coming at about the flooding in Sierra Leone and the incidents in Charlottesville (and T's mishandling of the same) meant it was not likely to get the big headlines, in any case.
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Tue 15 Aug 2017, 10:59:48

dohboi - Yep, like the TV media says: If it bleeds it leads. Sadly there was a lot of other "blood" out there other then that spilled in BF. Even the detailed stories of the India/Pakistan partition 70 years ago covered a lot of bloodshed which continues today to a lesser degree.

Sadly one of the fatalities was a Canadian teacher at the International School trying to bring some better future to the country. I suspect had it been someone worthwhile, like an American, there would have been a lot of coverage. LOL.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Shaved Monkey » Wed 30 Aug 2017, 07:15:19

Was watering the garden and 2 sulphur crested cockatoos where having an argument with 2 small lace monitors over who owned the hollow branch in the gum tree.
The goannas just got in and the cockatoos started trying to get them out by chewing bits of the branch and poking their heads in and screaming while trying to bite a tail.
In the end the goannas won.
a bit like this
Ready to turn Zombies into WWOOFers
Shaved Monkey
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Ibon » Wed 30 Aug 2017, 07:17:55

lovely shaved monkey.....keep sharing
Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
blog: http://blog.mounttotumas.com/
Ibon

Unread postby Cog » Wed 30 Aug 2017, 14:36:13

Finished my deck staining and fence. Then I took on another challenge. Those faux shutters around the windows, which have never been painted, got painted. Some are 15 feet in the air and over either a big sticker bush below or concrete.(No more split-level houses for me) The thought of broken bones at my age was not a pleasant one and I don't like heights much but they are now looking good. Now to move to the inside work before the weather starts to turn on me. Happy this part is done.

Ended up giving most of the stuff away to good will from the yard sale. They did not want my junk to be part of their junk so we didn't sell a lot.
Cog
Anti-Matter
Anti-Matter

Unread postby dohboi » Wed 30 Aug 2017, 15:30:32

Cog, you are a true inspiration!

As are these guys! :)

Houston mosques open doors to shelter Harvey evacuees

As flooding from Tropical Storm Harvey drives thousands of people from their homes across southeast Texas, more and more houses of worship are opening their doors to evacuees.

At least four Houston-area mosques, all affiliated with the Islamic Society of Greater Houston, are currently serving as 24-hour shelters. ...

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2017/08/30/us/m ... index.html
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby onlooker » Wed 30 Aug 2017, 15:36:01

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nat ... 615479001/
Nice article with pictures of what seems many stories and incidents of people helping others amid the Devastation of Hurricane Harvey
“"If you think the economy is more important than the environment, try holding your breath while counting your money"”
onlooker
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Newfie » Thu 31 Aug 2017, 16:21:53

Just a month after taking an unexpected dunk where in my iPhone, in its "water proof" case, got ruined, I got a working cell phone back.

Verizion got it to my kid over night who sent it over night fedex to my sister who got it to me. 5 days.

Then it would not work because it wasn't "initiated" in the USA. That just means you have to turn it on for 5 minutes. Of course you need to know that. It took me about 4 hours in the phone to get that answer. So I express ship the phone back to my kid to turn it on. Canada post 5 more days.

The kids turn it on, make sure it works and send it back Fedex Express, 3 day guarantee delivery. It got to St Johns in 3 days, aged for a couple of days and they they declare it "undeliverable." Of course they didn't tell me this, I just happened to look at the delivery update. A week later I drove 40 miles to a transfer point to take it out of their hands.

At one point they asked for directions to our house. Someone wrote them out on a white sticky tape. Then someone else stuck a few BIG stickers all over the box, including the instructions. Those stickers stuck real good, ruined the instructions. So it's good I met the courier.

Now I'm fighting with the cell maintence because the cell data is terrible. They keep telling me to get new SIM cards, for both phones. Humanity has no hope!
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby GHung » Thu 31 Aug 2017, 16:43:38

I'm still using my Casio G'z One (it's the 'G-Shock' of cell phones, designed to mil-spec for use in combat zones). Waterproof to 30 feet, very shock resistant. Only 3G but gets great reception. Cost $60 new last year and I get 2000 minutes per year for $80 (PagePlus). iPhones be damned.

There's a You-tube video of a guy trying to kill his Casio. Buries it in the snow in the road, plays street hockey with it. Torches it with a flame thrower. Finally throws it in the deep fat fryer. Still took a couple of minutes to die.

If you watch "Zero Dark Thirty" closely, it's the phone they are using.
Blessed are the Meek, for they shall inherit nothing but their Souls. - Anonymous Ghung Person
GHung
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Thu 31 Aug 2017, 17:06:48

Yeah, but I've swallowed the Apple pill.

The phone works great, it doubles as a navigation device for the boat. Saving me a couple of thousand there.

It SHOULD have survived the immersion. I can only think that as I fell, almost straight down, the case got wacked on the edge of the dock and sprung open for an instant.

The Technician Robot appears to have given up telling me change SIM cards and now has told me, in effect, it's impossible. Now he won't talk to me anymore. Good news/bad news.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Newfie » Thu 31 Aug 2017, 19:10:54

An ha! I annoyed them into actually helping me fix the damn thing. Had to turn off CDMA.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Plantagenet » Thu 31 Aug 2017, 19:31:12

The leaves are starting to turn yellow on the trees and the annual fall bird migration out of Alaska is going on right now. Millions of birds are migrating south, leaving Alaskans to their fate as winter comes around again.

This morning I caught sight of thousands of geese and ducks and cranes, swirling in a huge cloud and squawking above a field below the University. I watched them for a while, until some of them landed when things settled down, but most took off. This kind of thing goes on for about three weeks as the birds pass through, and then they are gone.

So long till next year. Have a great trip south!
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Newfie » Fri 01 Sep 2017, 06:24:01

That's cool.

This is my first time long term in Newfoundland. It's been interesting watching the wildflowers. There is always something in bloom. Even now. But it constantly changes.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Previous

Return to Environment