Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Happy Talk

Re: Happy Talk

Unread postby dohboi » Mon 24 Jul 2017, 13:47:34

Nice work, baha!

In other news:

Even in fossil-fuel-loving Texas, with its dearth of environmental restrictions... coal isn't economical any more.

Coal power plant lays off dozens, shuts down year-round operations

About seventy employees of the coal-fired electrical plant at Gibbons Creek in Anderson are being laid off.

The Texas Municipal Power Agency is moving to seasonal operations, meaning it will only run during the hot summer months, June through September.

Both TMPA and Bryan Texas Utilities officials say, it's not economical to keep the plant running year round. With the [low price] of natural gas, and the advent of more efficient alternative enrgy sources, they say coal power is just too expensive.

The layoffs at TMPA will begin in October. About 20 employees will remain to run safety operations at the plant over the winter. Then, as June approaches, more will be added back to get the plant up to full operation for the summer.

Bryan, Garland, Denton, and Greenville make up the Texas Municipal Power Agency. The TMPA has been trying to sell this power plant for nearly a year now. BTU officials say, it's not going well, and there are no pending sales nor attractive offers.

The deadline to sell is September 2018. At that point, the TMPA board will have to decide whether to shut down operations at Gibbons Creek completely.

However, Gibbons Creek reservoir will remain open to the public for the time being.

http://www.kbtx.com/content/news/Coal-p ... 06613.html
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby AdamB » Mon 24 Jul 2017, 13:54:39

dohboi wrote:Nice work, baha!

In other news:

Even in fossil-fuel-loving Texas, with its dearth of environmental restrictions... coal isn't economical any more.

Happy Talk! Natural Gas will indeed rule the post-coal world, driving the US to the forefront of CO2 emissions reductions!! Hallelujah!
Peak oil in 2020: And here is why: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2b3ttqYDwF0
AdamB
Fission
Fission

Unread postby dohboi » Mon 24 Jul 2017, 13:57:54

Yeah, too bad it is a much more powerful ghg than CO2, and leaks in the system seem to be inevitable.

Once we establish a universal ban on fracking, though, the economics will swing toward renewables! :-D

Meanwhile, across the pond:

Africa unplugged
Small-scale solar power is surging ahead

https://www.economist.com/news/middle-e ... -unplugged

Off-grid solar…is now thought to be providing power to perhaps 600,000 households in Africa.
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby AdamB » Mon 24 Jul 2017, 14:10:23

dohboi wrote:Yeah, too bad it is a much more powerful ghg than CO2, and leaks in the system seem to be inevitable.

Leaks are inevitable. Be it byproducts of coal, methane, oil, whatever. The good news being that methane can be sold, there is a built in mechanism for improving efficiency for as long as natural gas is a bridge fuel to a happy happy joy joy renewable and nuke future!

dohboi wrote:Once we establish a universal ban on fracking, though, the economics will swing toward renewables! :-D

Call me crazy, but I'm betting that most folks won't be happy with the idea of reducing our use of a wonderful mechanism to drop our CO2 emissions in a way that the Indians and Chinese can only dream of, and at the same time being forced to use wood or some "renewable" source to keep the water hot and warm the house in the winter. Natural gas...it is what we Americans DO!

https://www.eia.gov/todayinenergy/detail.php?id=26112
Peak oil in 2020: And here is why: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2b3ttqYDwF0
AdamB
Fission
Fission

Unread postby dohboi » Mon 24 Jul 2017, 14:27:25

"Call me crazy"

OK :lol: :lol: :lol:
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby dohboi » Tue 25 Jul 2017, 08:29:25

http://www.nukeresister.org/2017/07/18/ ... n-germany/

...and for the first time in a 21-year-long series of protests against the deployment of U.S. B61 thermonuclear bombs there, [protesters] climbed on top of one large bunker used for nuclear weapons. After cutting through two exterior fences and two more fences surrounding the large earth-covered bunkers, the five spent more than one hour unnoticed sitting on the bunker.

No notice of the group was taken until after two of them climbed down to write “DISARM” on the bunker’s metal front door, setting off an alarm. Surrounded by vehicles and guards searching on foot with flashlights, the five eventually alerted guards to their presence by singing, causing the guards to look up. The internationals were eventually taken into custody more than two hours after entering the base.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Cog » Tue 25 Jul 2017, 16:27:46

Made some major progress on moving stuff out to the garage we are going to sell. I told the wife to be as ruthless as possible on getting rid of stuff. If we haven't touched it or used it in the past five years, its gone. I'm working on the man-cave area(which is a disaster of prep items and junk) and she works upstairs on the rest. But I'm happy we got a lot done. After yard sale comes painting inside and some rehab on counters, floors, and what not. Can't wait to get out of Illinois.
'
Cog
Anti-Matter
Anti-Matter

Unread postby dohboi » Tue 25 Jul 2017, 17:39:49

"...the garage we're going to sell"

Wow, you're gonna sell your whole garage! Do the buyers have to pay the moving costs??!!

:-D :-D :-D :-D
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Cog » Tue 25 Jul 2017, 22:22:05

Everything must go. We are practically giving the garage away at Crazy Cog's Garage Sale of the unusual and strange.
Cog
Anti-Matter
Anti-Matter

Unread postby efarmer » Wed 26 Jul 2017, 08:04:29

I am downsizing too Cog. It is often strange how all the stuff we clung to for years
seems when you realize you haven't done anything but worked around it trying
to find something most of your adult life and wonder why. Where are the Cogs
going to setup Camp COG when you leave the Land of Lincoln?
efarmer
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Cog » Wed 26 Jul 2017, 11:09:05

efarmer wrote:I am downsizing too Cog. It is often strange how all the stuff we clung to for years
seems when you realize you haven't done anything but worked around it trying
to find something most of your adult life and wonder why. Where are the Cogs
going to setup Camp COG when you leave the Land of Lincoln?

The free state of Missouri.
Cog
Anti-Matter
Anti-Matter

Unread postby efarmer » Thu 27 Jul 2017, 20:37:33

Lived in Missouri all of my life Cog and love my state. I would welcome you to our state
and think you will find it a good place to live. At this point though, the legislation at
breaking the urban graft and federal handout overshoot is set to gut the rural agricultural
folks and their lack of any buying power in health care and representation. We have a war
of urban liberals from St. Louis and Kansas City against rural people who do not get any
representation or from the lib versus Conservative Springfield, MO folks who have Republican power dominance.
The rich are going to win, fortunately, Missouri has not been sucked dry yet by either group.
The people are sweet, friendly, and sometimes worried about something sensible being done,
but not like IL where they were robbed and thrashed and governed by a series of crooks from
both major parties. The best thing going for us is decency, civility to each other, and not having
to have dealt with expecting the government is going to fix us somehow from Washington. We will
fix ourselves in Missouri or not if things go snake. Welcome to my state Cog and thrive here and prosper!
efarmer
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby dohboi » Thu 27 Jul 2017, 20:51:41

We've been doing major decluttering around here this year, too. It does give you a bit of perspective on life and 'stuff.'
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Cog » Fri 28 Jul 2017, 07:11:04

Thank you efarmer. I will not be bringing any liberal voting tendencies with me since I never had any.

@dohboi

Funny you mention that about perspective. I've got some awards and stuff like that from companies I worked for over the years and when I was in the military. I decided not to throw them away even though they have been in boxes for years and really don't mean anything to me anymore. Decided to keep those for when my daughter does a memorial service for me when I die. Just to make it easier for her to dig up stuff on the old man.
Cog
Anti-Matter
Anti-Matter

Unread postby dohboi » Fri 28 Jul 2017, 09:26:47

Sweet
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Shaved Monkey » Mon 31 Jul 2017, 02:16:54

Had a little bird slam into our window today
He looked dead drooping head fanned out wings
It took nearly 2 hours but he recovered and flew off
Ready to turn Zombies into WWOOFers
Shaved Monkey
Fission
Fission

Unread postby dohboi » Mon 31 Jul 2017, 09:54:27

Good point. Our local authorities say not to pick up 'dead' birds for exactly this reason (among others): often they are not actually dead.
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby pstarr » Mon 31 Jul 2017, 11:24:15

When a widdle iddy biddy birdie hits our windows, I have sometimes cupped them in my hand. I assumed they might be in shock, and need the extra warmth? Is that wrong? It seemed to have worked. It felt good. They are so qutsey!
There's nothing deeper than love. In fairy tales, the princesses kiss the frogs, and the frogs become princes. In real life,the princesses kiss princes, and the princes turn into frogs

“Bitterness is like cancer. It eats upon the host. But anger is like fire. It burns it all clean.”
― Maya Angelou
pstarr
NeoMaster
NeoMaster

Unread postby Newfie » Mon 31 Jul 2017, 15:27:33

Down sizing. Try moving onto a boat!

The first 3 months or retirement near killed me. Cleaning up, disposing, and fixing all the stuff in our apartment I had not done in 25 years, and mortaring the basement walls.

But it has been worth it. Now we just don't buy much anymore, no place to put it.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby baha » Mon 31 Jul 2017, 19:19:20

I have a confession to make...Here in the south we have mockingbirds :)

There was one who decided a rival lived in my wife's car's rear view mirror. He would fight with it and shit all down the side of her car. She shoo'ed him away and put sheets over the car and he would just fly to the nearest branch and mock her.

Didn't bother me too much until she went out of town :) He then started shitting on my car...bad choice. I parked it in the back yard and got out the 12 gauge. I shoo'ed him into a tree and missed on the first shot (the sights are set for about 50 yards). He looked at me stupid so I aimed low and and on the next shot he disappeared along with the branch he was sitting on :)

I feel bad, but he shouldn't have shit on my car :x

Pstarr - It occurs to me you are a lot like a mocking bird. Stay just out of reach and mock everyone. I like you, your motives are good...just don't shit on my car :x
Last edited by baha on Mon 31 Jul 2017, 20:03:23, edited 1 time in total.
A Solar fuel spill is otherwise known as a sunny day!
The energy density of a tank of FF's doesn't matter if it's empty.

https://monitoringpublic.solaredge.com/solaredge-web/p/kiosk?guid=19844186-d749-40d6-b848-191e899b37db
baha
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

PreviousNext

Return to Environment