Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Happy Talk

Re: Happy Talk

Unread postby baha » Tue 18 Jul 2017, 18:20:47

Just got back from 6 days and 5 nights white-water rafting the Grand Canyon.

Deer creek falls 1.jpg
My wife and I at Deer Creek falls
Deer creek falls 1.jpg (115.75 KiB) Viewed 1337 times

My brother, sister, wife, and 24 of our closest friends all booked a trip from http://www.westernriver.com/

I am humbled, the beauty and simplicity of nature leaves me speechless. We went from awed to terrified in about 10 seconds. We traveled 188 miles of the toughest part of the Grand Canyon on the Colorado river. We rode the highest rated rapids in the country and survived. Only one black eye in the group, from butting heads, but countless bruises. We camped and hiked in places no one else can get.
The Boats.jpg
The rafts
The Boats.jpg (109.35 KiB) Viewed 1337 times

The 4 guides were boatmen, gourmet cooks, musicians, and storytellers. If you want to take the trip of a lifetime, this is it...

Mother Nature smiled on us the whole time. We never got more than a sprinkle...and emerged to discover people had been killed in a flash flood not very far away. I grieve for them :(
A Solar fuel spill is otherwise known as a sunny day!
The energy density of a tank of FF's doesn't matter if it's empty.

https://monitoringpublic.solaredge.com/solaredge-web/p/kiosk?guid=19844186-d749-40d6-b848-191e899b37db
baha
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby dohboi » Thu 20 Jul 2017, 14:43:58

Some brave individuals in the government are starting to speak up against the suppression of truth:

I’m a scientist. I’m blowing the whistle on the Trump administration.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... story.html

I am not a member of the deep state. I am not big government.

I am a scientist, a policy expert, a civil servant and a worried citizen. Reluctantly, as of today, I am also a whistleblower on an administration that chooses silence over science.

Nearly seven years ago, I came to work for the Interior Department, where, among other things, I’ve helped endangered communities in Alaska prepare for and adapt to a changing climate. But on June 15, I was one of about 50 senior department employees who received letters informing us of involuntary reassignments. Citing a need to “improve talent development, mission delivery and collaboration,” the letter informed me that I was reassigned to an unrelated job in the accounting office that collects royalty checks from fossil fuel companies.
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby AdamB » Thu 20 Jul 2017, 17:20:04

dohboi wrote:Some brave individuals in the government are starting to speak up against the suppression of truth:

I’m a scientist. I’m blowing the whistle on the Trump administration.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... story.html

I am not a member of the deep state. I am not big government.

I am a scientist, a policy expert, a civil servant and a worried citizen. Reluctantly, as of today, I am also a whistleblower on an administration that chooses silence over science.

Nearly seven years ago, I came to work for the Interior Department, where, among other things, I’ve helped endangered communities in Alaska prepare for and adapt to a changing climate. But on June 15, I was one of about 50 senior department employees who received letters informing us of involuntary reassignments. Citing a need to “improve talent development, mission delivery and collaboration,” the letter informed me that I was reassigned to an unrelated job in the accounting office that collects royalty checks from fossil fuel companies.

Holy Cow!! This is excellent!! FINALLY Trump is doing something that makes sense...taking well fed bureaucrats, sitting around thinking big thoughts without a seconds concern for how their paycheck means they need to justify that sum every day a week to the American citizen, and assigning them to..get this...collecting money the government is owed!!! This has potential! Happy thoughts indeed!!

Anyone want to bet this wasn't some low level "scientist", but someone in the higher, protected ranks of "management"? SES maybe even?
AdamB
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Cog » Thu 20 Jul 2017, 17:38:07

I agree this is indeed Happy talk. Bureaucrats being assigned useful tasks is great.

On a completely unrelated topic I have finished power washing and treating my wood fence. Making fences great again.
Cog
Anti-Matter
Anti-Matter

Unread postby pstarr » Thu 20 Jul 2017, 17:56:41

Cog wrote:On a completely unrelated topic I have finished power washing and treating my wood fence. Making fences great again.

Good for you. On a completely unrelated topic, I wiped my butt and also picked my nose this morning. Making me pretty again :)
There's nothing deeper than love. In fairy tales, the princesses kiss the frogs, and the frogs become princes. In real life,the princesses kiss princes, and the princes turn into frogs

“Bitterness is like cancer. It eats upon the host. But anger is like fire. It burns it all clean.”
― Maya Angelou
pstarr
NeoMaster
NeoMaster

Unread postby AdamB » Thu 20 Jul 2017, 22:08:53

Cog wrote:I agree this is indeed Happy talk. Bureaucrats being assigned useful tasks is great.

On a completely unrelated topic I have finished power washing and treating my wood fence. Making fences great again.

If it makes you happy, and it isn't about guns (political correctness run amuck even in this thread...I smell a liberal.... :) ), then making fences great again can certainly be a happy thought!

For me, I am recuperating from the enthusiastic application of force involving certain shoulder muscles that I haven't used in quite that way in some time, can barely life my arm horizontal to the ground it hurts so much. But as usual, it seems a small price to pay for the amount of adrenaline it provided while becoming injured.

AdamB
Fission
Fission

Unread postby AdamB » Thu 20 Jul 2017, 22:11:07

pstarr wrote:
Cog wrote:On a completely unrelated topic I have finished power washing and treating my wood fence. Making fences great again.

Good for you. On a completely unrelated topic, I wiped my butt and also picked my nose this morning. Making me pretty again :)

Ah yes, now THERE is our weed-addled posting persona we are all far more familiar with! Good for you pstarr, back in the saddle (or on the pipe :) ) again, as it were!
AdamB
Fission
Fission

Unread postby pstarr » Thu 20 Jul 2017, 22:42:48

AdamB wrote:
pstarr wrote:

Ah yes, now THERE is our weed-addled posting persona we are all far more familiar with! Good for you pstarr, back in the saddle (or on the pipe :) ) again, as it were!

Actually, I haven't smoked in decades. You must know the difference between pot and snot?

Right?
There's nothing deeper than love. In fairy tales, the princesses kiss the frogs, and the frogs become princes. In real life,the princesses kiss princes, and the princes turn into frogs

“Bitterness is like cancer. It eats upon the host. But anger is like fire. It burns it all clean.”
― Maya Angelou
pstarr
NeoMaster
NeoMaster

Unread postby rockdoc123 » Fri 21 Jul 2017, 21:26:31

Good for you. On a completely unrelated topic, I wiped my butt and also picked my nose this morning. Making me pretty again

this comment reallly begs the question...given you claim to be someone living in the great old woods of the US NW, a self-proclaimed hippy....then why are you such an unadulterated awipe in conversations here? There is absolutely no way in the world anyone would ever take you seriously about anything when you make statements like this.

There was a time, as I remember, when the arguments were cogent and not base on over consumption of magic mushrooms. :roll:
rockdoc123
Expert
Expert

Unread postby AdamB » Sat 22 Jul 2017, 08:20:02

pstarr wrote:Actually, I haven't smoked in decades.

So when you post inebriated, it is because you are drunk?

I recommend drinking less, thinking and googling more, and if you need any help we are all here for you, be it to locate the nearest AA meetings, or find you a proper 4th grader to get you some help in the thinking department.
AdamB
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Newfie » Sat 22 Jul 2017, 09:30:58

Adam,
Consider this a warning.
This is a straight up personal attack.
Not allowed.

Pete,
Your contributing to the poor behaviour.
Stop.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby pstarr » Sat 22 Jul 2017, 11:12:04

rockdoc123 wrote:
Good for you. On a completely unrelated topic, I wiped my butt and also picked my nose this morning. Making me pretty again

this comment reallly begs the question...given you claim to be someone living in the great old woods of the US NW, a self-proclaimed hippy....then why are you such an unadulterated awipe in conversations here? There is absolutely no way in the world anyone would ever take you seriously about anything when you make statements like this.

There was a time, as I remember, when the arguments were cogent and not base on over consumption of magic mushrooms. :roll:

Cog, just shows off his rampant energy waste. It's not happy, it's tweaking the adults in the room. :x

I've never promoted permaculture on this site, have been a regular skeptic of all easy solutions. But I see nothing wrong with using my comfort and wealth (I am an average American . . . after all) to live a bit lighter on the planet. So I have posted here about my various successes in home food production. It's a happy thing. Avoids a few CO2 emissions, and stewards our precious oil legacy. That's what 'Suburban Homesteading' is all about :)

― Maya Angelou
pstarr
NeoMaster
NeoMaster

Unread postby Cog » Sat 22 Jul 2017, 15:11:27

Power-washing a fence and staining it is rampant energy waste that tweaks adults? I was quite pleased I was able to save it and preserve it for the next home owner.

Wow I did not know. I should have had it demolished and installed one made of oil derived plastic. That will send the adults into orbit. LOL
Cog
Anti-Matter
Anti-Matter

Unread postby pstarr » Sat 22 Jul 2017, 17:45:53

Cog wrote:Power-washing a fence and staining it is rampant energy waste that tweaks adults? I was quite pleased I was able to save it and preserve it for the next home owner.

Wow I did not know. I should have had it demolished and installed one made of oil derived plastic. That will send the adults into orbit. LOL

Okay. Okay. I apologize. And I was wrong. I didn't dig a goober today.

― Maya Angelou
pstarr
NeoMaster
NeoMaster

Unread postby onlooker » Sat 22 Jul 2017, 18:00:49

My happy talk is Ghawar and US shale are almost finished. So soon we can finally live our postmodern lifestyle hooray
“"If you think the economy is more important than the environment, try holding your breath while counting your money"”
onlooker
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby pstarr » Sat 22 Jul 2017, 18:12:37

onlooker wrote:My happy talk is Ghawar and US shale are almost finished. So soon we can finally live our postmodern lifestyle hooray

lol. I know what you mean. The truth is liberating and can free us all.

But that postmodern lifestyle might come with some difficulties.

― Maya Angelou
pstarr
NeoMaster
NeoMaster

Unread postby AdamB » Sat 22 Jul 2017, 18:53:11

onlooker wrote:My happy talk is Ghawar and US shale are almost finished. So soon we can finally live our postmodern lifestyle hooray

Ghawar was finished in 2001, except it wasn't.

http://www.sustainablecitynews.com/ghawar-html/

And the folks that know better than to predict things off of regression equations, and who have consistently UNDERESTIMATED US shale production, don't agree with your other statement. And who would, based on how poorly peakers got that one right?

https://www.oilandgas360.com/wp-content ... jpg?x56664

Luddites, peakers, misanthropes, all dreaming up rapture scenarios....can't you all just be happy watching Leftover reruns?
AdamB
Fission
Fission

Unread postby baha » Mon 24 Jul 2017, 13:02:30

I just harvested and shucked the first of four rows of corn.
Corn.jpg
Corn.jpg (196.26 KiB) Viewed 800 times

I will blanch and freeze this in the next few hours and then do another.

So far we have put up:
3 milk crates full of potatoes
1 crate of onions
20 quarts of green beans
15 pints of black beans and some dried
21 pints of lima beans
10 pints of pickles, sweet relish, and dill relish
1 1/2 gallons frozen green peas

I still have corn, tomatoes, field peas, and peppers to do. This may not feed me for a year but I'm off to a good start :)

This doesn't include what we ate and gave away to neighbors and co-workers.

https://monitoringpublic.solaredge.com/solaredge-web/p/kiosk?guid=19844186-d749-40d6-b848-191e899b37db
baha
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Mon 24 Jul 2017, 13:21:27

Baha,
Is this in addition to a regular job? Or is it your primary source of employments?
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby baha » Mon 24 Jul 2017, 13:35:27

I work part time, I usually stay home Mondays because they are so depressing :) Tomorrow I will go in and clean up the warehouse. I don't do installs anymore, just service work. I get about 20 hours a week which suits me fine.

My wife got laid off last winter, that is probably the reason the garden has done so well. She won't have me sitting around :)

baha
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

PreviousNext

Return to Environment