Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Happy Talk

Re: Happy Talk

Unread postby Cog » Thu 08 Jun 2017, 10:19:32

We are cleaning up the house in preparation of our pre-moving yard sale. Found two full ammo cans of 5.56 ammo that I had forgot about. I'm happy.
Cog
Anti-Matter
Anti-Matter

Unread postby dohboi » Thu 08 Jun 2017, 14:21:43

baha, thanks. I'm planning a similar strategy for now.

Cog: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zei3xnivwFk

:-D :-D :-D
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Cog » Thu 08 Jun 2017, 14:38:04

I came into the world screaming and covered with someone else's blood and I have no problem going out the same way. ;)
Cog
Anti-Matter
Anti-Matter

Unread postby Newfie » Thu 08 Jun 2017, 15:06:57

Ground hog makes a great sweet meat stew if prepared correctly. Not hard.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Shaved Monkey » Thu 08 Jun 2017, 19:10:29

My grass tree outside the dining room window has let out a flowering spike
The honey eaters and lorikeets (rainbow and scaly breasts) are going crazy for it ,its like a wild life documentary.
Ready to turn Zombies into WWOOFers
Shaved Monkey
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Newfie » Thu 08 Jun 2017, 19:54:42

I used to have rainbow lorikeets. Siblings. One died and after a period of mourning the other adopted me as his surrogate sibling. We were best pals. He would lay on his back on my belly and we would "wrestle." I would try to tickle his belly and he would try to eat my finger, he usually won. Then he would clean my teeth. I still miss the little bugger.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Shaved Monkey » Thu 08 Jun 2017, 20:42:58

They like company
They are nearly always in a large group, like noisy destructive teenagers.
We have 2 that come regularly who are just quiet loners, when the mob comes they leave.
We had maybe 2 or 300 come and bath in our blocked house gutters one day.
At the moment its quite orderly they come eat nectar and go its a rotation of 5 or 6 different species all at window level.
Ready to turn Zombies into WWOOFers
Shaved Monkey
Fission
Fission

Unread postby dohboi » Fri 09 Jun 2017, 15:42:05

Eric Holthaus:

Whoa. France just launched makeourplanetgreatagain.fr and is offering grants of up to 1.5 million Euro for climate scientists to move there.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ericholthaus ... 1385020416
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby dohboi » Fri 09 Jun 2017, 15:52:11

Global electric vehicle fleet surpasses 2 million cars

The International Energy Agency (IEA) came out with its 2017 Global EV Outlook and it highlights the fact that the world’s EV fleet reached over 2 million cars last year.

It also breaks down the distribution of electric vehicles around the world by country and shows how China as solidified its position as an EV leader.
They are accounting for both all-electric (BEV) and plug-in hybrid vehicles (PHEV).

The 2 million car mark was helped by a surge in China, which now not only leads electric cars but also electric two-wheelers, low-speed electric vehicles, and electric buses:

“Until 2015, the United States accounted for the largest portion of the global electric car stock. In 2016, China became the country with the largest electric car stock, with about a third of the global total. With more than 200 million electric two-wheelers, 3 to 4 million low-speed electric vehicles (LSEVs) and more than 300 thousand electric buses, China is also by far the global leader in the electrification of other transport modes.”

https://electrek.co/2017/06/08/electric ... lion-cars/

Tesla starts Powerwall 2 installations in Australia

https://electrek.co/2017/06/09/tesla-po ... australia/

Big surprise: the unit is much lighter than expected.

(Do I think any of these is some kind of fundamental game changer that will keep our collective a$$e$ out of the fire? no.

But recall that I had been chided for only posting negatives...So I opened a 'happy talk' thread and filled it with wonderful, heart warming articles about promising new developments...now I'm being chided for being to optimistic...

Sheesh, you guys are a hard bunch to please, aren't you!! :-D :-D :-D )
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Newfie » Fri 09 Jun 2017, 16:48:01

Not optimistic, greenwashing.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby dohboi » Fri 09 Jun 2017, 18:25:12

That term traditionally refers to a practice by environmentally dirty companies or organizations that put out some promotional material intending to make them seem more environmentally friendly.

Since I am not such a corporation nor an organization, I can't exactly be doing greenwashing, the way it is usually used. :) :)

Greenwashing (a compound word modelled on "whitewash"), or "green sheen",[1][2] is a form of spin in which green PR or green marketing is deceptively used to promote the perception that an organization's products, aims or policies are environmentally friendly.[3] Evidence that an organization is greenwashing often comes from pointing out the spending differences: when significantly more money or time has been spent advertising being "green" (that is, operating with consideration for the environment), than is actually spent on environmentally sound practices

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenwashing

If I have promoted some environmentally villainous company as if it were green, please show me the error of my ways, (though of course, pretty much every company wants to present itself as greener than it is.)
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Newfie » Fri 09 Jun 2017, 18:56:22

Promoting stories that appear to have a positive effect when they do not. Such as the Paris Accords which were decidedly not very green.

Greenwashing (a compound word modelled on "whitewash"), or "green sheen",[1][2] is a form of spin in which green PR or green marketing is deceptively used to promote the perception that an organization's products, aims or policies are environmentally friendly.[3]

I understand that to many I may be considered a zealot but IMHO things which add power to the system (e.g. Solar) without reducing consumption is making believe we are doing something positive when we are not. Increasing consumption is bad remember?

It gives the perception that the situation is improving, it's not.

A counter example. Suppose you were to buy some land and plant trees on it. The trees would be removing carbon, that's a good thing. If a whole lot of people did this it would be good, happy even.

However there are very few stories of this caliber. This the news is bad.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby dohboi » Sat 10 Jun 2017, 11:07:19

I am not a PR department nor a green marketing division of a corporation, so again, I can't really be 'greenwashing' by even your definition.

I also haven't said anything about the Paris Agreement on this thread, as far as I can remember.

We should continue any further discussion on that topic to the sticky thread devoted to 'international agreements,' right?
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Newfie » Sat 10 Jun 2017, 13:28:28

Just trying to keep it real Doh. It all says par and wind and Elon Musk story represents an improvement. You may not be a PR man, but you are spreading their work. Your their minion.

Yeah, happy stories. The sad story is that the faux happieness keeps folks from accepting the mess we are in.

Personally I think, sometimes, you get it. It's all those Lucas let's I'm thinking of.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby dohboi » Sat 10 Jun 2017, 16:25:20

Hey, minions are us! :-D :-D

I get dumped on for only pointing out the negative; I get dumped on for pointing out what some at least think is positive...

screw it...

I'm just gonna keep posting whatever I see that seems relevant to threads here or otherwise interesting. :) :)

I note that Newf has no problems when people go all gaga about how wonderful guns are on a 'happy talk' thread in an enviro forum, but mention increased battery efficiency, or whatever it was that got his panties in a knot, and he's all out accusing people of being 'minions.' What's up with that?

For the record, and not to get too OT, I pretty much accept Kevin Anderson's take on the PA, as expressed for example, here: Hopefully, this case will make it to trial:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIODRrnHQxg (Especially the stuff after about 10:00...and now take further discussion of this to the proper thread please...thanks)

Soooo, to get back on topic rather than OT and meta-topic, here's more happy news, to me at least:

"Federal judge denies Trump administration appeal in youth climate lawsuit"

https://thinkprogress.org/youth-climate ... 0f6a811c08
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby dohboi » Sat 10 Jun 2017, 16:39:41

Prince Was a Secret Patron of Solar Power
The musician's anonymous investment ultimately helped dozens of clean-tech entrepreneurs in Oakland.

Before his abrupt death a year ago, the pop musician Prince made an investment in green energy that’s now helping solar start-ups weather an assault from President Donald Trump...

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... olar-power
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby dohboi » Wed 14 Jun 2017, 19:37:09

World Coal Production Just Had Its Biggest Drop on Record

U.S. demand for coal fell by 33.4 million tons of oil equivalent last year to 358.4 million, the biggest decline in the world in absolute terms, BP data show.

Global consumption dropped 1.7 percent last year compared with an average 1.9 percent yearly increase from 2005 to 2015, according to BP. China, which accounted for about half of the coal burned in the world, used 1.6 percent less of the fuel, compared with an average 3.7 percent annual expansion in the 11 preceding years.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... ner-energy
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby baha » Thu 15 Jun 2017, 16:10:37

The buildout has begun.

http://business.panasonic.com/Harbor15P ... erystorage

Did I mention Plug and Play...
A Solar fuel spill is otherwise known as a sunny day!
The energy density of a tank of FF's doesn't matter if it's empty.

https://monitoringpublic.solaredge.com/solaredge-web/p/kiosk?guid=19844186-d749-40d6-b848-191e899b37db
baha
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Cog » Fri 16 Jun 2017, 05:08:27

I quick check of the weight scale this morning. Down 34 pounds from March 15. This should make my goal of under 200 by the end of the year obtainable. Yeah I'm happy.

March 15 260 lbs
June 16th 226 lbs
Goal Weight below 200 lbs
Cog
Anti-Matter
Anti-Matter

Unread postby dohboi » Fri 16 Jun 2017, 15:59:50

Congrats, Cog. You are an inspiration!
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge