Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Happy Talk

Re: Happy Talk

Unread postby AdamB » Wed 31 May 2017, 20:34:50

clif wrote:Very Happy with this result

Taking Exxon to Court to Protect Clean Air (and Winning Big)

When ExxonMobil violated important health protections under the Clean Air Act at its refinery and chemical complex in Baytown, Texas, state officials gave them a sweetheart deal. But the Baytown neighbors who suffered years of poor air quality and severe local smog didn’t back down. They testified in court to help win a lawsuit brought by environmental groups that eventually forced the company to pay nearly $20 million in penalties.

http://earthjustice.org/blog/2017-may/t ... inning-big

we need more like it in the age of d-rumph

$20 million. From XOM? Oh my yes, this was undoubted happy talk to them as well. The lawyers probably got a $20 million bonus for saving the company an additional $100 million over what they thought they might have to pay. Keep up the good work folks!
AdamB
Fission
Fission

Unread postby dohboi » Wed 31 May 2017, 21:39:45

On his fifth day in power, South Korea’s new president shut down 10 big coal-power plants

The South Korean capital, Seoul, is among the world’s most polluted cities, so it’s no surprise that air pollution was one of the key campaign issues for the newly elected president, Moon Jae-in.

That’s why, on his fifth day in power, Moon has announced that the country will temporarily shutter 10 coal power plants now and will shut them down completely within his five-year term. The move should bring respite from the choking air pollution, but it raises questions about South Korea’s energy security.
Nuclear power’s contribution to South Korea’s mix has fallen from 40% to 30% over the last 10 years, as plants have been decommissioned over safety issues. To make up for the fall, the contribution of coal has shot up to 40%.... The country operates 53 coal-power plants, and plans to build another 20 in the next five years.

https://qz.com/983626/moon-jae-in-south ... in-office/
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby baha » Thu 01 Jun 2017, 07:29:09

This just makes me smile :)

https://www.smartflower.com/en

I need one in the front yard. But I notice they don't mention the price...
A Solar fuel spill is otherwise known as a sunny day!
The energy density of a tank of FF's doesn't matter if it's empty.
baha
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Thu 01 Jun 2017, 08:05:06

That is kind of neat, might be cost efficient if they get enough quantity.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby dohboi » Sat 03 Jun 2017, 23:25:11

All Dutch trains now run on 100% wind power

http://www.businessinsider.com/wind-pow ... nds-2017-6

Initially, trains in the Netherlands were set to run entirely on renewable energy by 2018.

However, it seems officials have been able to beat that goal by an entire year. As of the first of January this year, all public transport trains are being powered by renewable energy, namely from wind power.
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby dohboi » Sun 04 Jun 2017, 16:38:15

TerryM at ASIF pointed out this earlier related development:

a 2015 article about the wind powered light rail system that is heavily used in Calgary

http://www.greenenergyfutures.ca/episod ... hi-calgary
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Newfie » Sun 04 Jun 2017, 19:49:01

Ahem.....

Perhaps the greatest coup of Calgary’s CTrain system is that it is powered by wind energy. In 2001, Calgary city council voted to purchase 21,000 megawatt-hours of wind power a year for 10 years. That’s the amount of electricity that the LRT uses in a year.

Now, the LRT does not run on electrons delivered straight from wind turbines — instead, it’s connected to the standard electricity grid. But while that grid is still dominated by natural gas and coal, Calgary’s 2001 investment meant 12 wind turbines were erected.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby dohboi » Sun 04 Jun 2017, 23:17:21

Ahem back...

this is the happy talk thread

save the doom and gloom for other threads! :-D :-D :-D

and for more cheer and joy:

India, Once a Coal Goliath, Is Fast Turning Green

“Modi’s constituency is the middle class, and the middle class in Indian cities is choking on pollution,” Mr. Pant said. “Modi knows climate change is good politics. Climate change makes sense to Modi because he believes it as it is good economics and politics.”

Two major economic factors lie at the heart of India’s move away from coal. The first is that the country’s growth rate, while faster than that of most major economies, slipped to 6.1 percent for the most recent quarter, down from 7 percent in the previous quarter. And much of that growth has come in service industries rather than in power-hungry manufacturing.

Equally important is the startling drop in the price of renewable energy sources. Many energy experts say renewables are poised to become a less expensive alternative to coal within the next decade.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/02/worl ... .html?_r=0
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Ibon » Tue 06 Jun 2017, 12:56:22

A recent guest from Holland took these lovely photos while staying with us during the end of May. Enjoy!

http://blog.mounttotumas.com/?p=2798
Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
blog: http://blog.mounttotumas.com/
Ibon

Unread postby dohboi » Tue 06 Jun 2017, 15:23:31

May was an 'Extraordinary' month for Scottish renewable energy

Scotland had "another extraordinary month" for renewable energy in May, according to environmental groups.

Wind turbines alone provided enough electricity to supply 95% of Scottish homes.

WWF Scotland analysed renewables data provided by WeatherEnergy.

It also found that in several parts of Scotland, homes fitted with solar PV panels had enough sunshine to generate more than 100% of the electricity needs of an average household.

Wind turbines provided 863,495 MWh of electricity to the National Grid during May, an increase of almost 20% compared to May 2016 when wind energy provided 692,896 MWh.

Overall the data showed that wind generated enough output to supply 100% or more of Scottish homes on 11 of the 31 days in May.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-40149604

Governor Cuomo Announces Major Climate and Jobs Initiative in Partnership with the Worker Institute at Cornell University ILR's School and Climate Jobs NY to Help Create 40,000 Clean Energy Jobs by 2020

As part of the first phase of the Clean Climate Careers initiative, New York State will make an unprecedented investment of up to $1.5 billion in major renewable energy projects, including wind and solar, and significantly expand energy efficiency and solar installations at public buildings. The investment will result in an additional 2.5 million megawatt-hours of electricity a year, representing the largest clean energy procurement by a state in U.S. history.

https://www.governor.ny.gov/news/govern ... te-cornell

Governor Sandoval says he will sign bill to bring rooftop solar back to Nevada

A statement from Tesla said the bill will not only bring back solar energy to Nevada and enable the industry to innovate and grow sustainably, it will create thousands of jobs and bring millions of dollars in economic benefits to the state.

“Tesla will begin selling rooftop solar and residential storage products in Nevada, and we look forward to bringing even more jobs to the state in the years ahead to help provide residents with affordable rooftop solar and energy storage choices,” the statement said.

The rooftop solar industry ground to a halt in Nevada when new, lower rates for net metering took effect in 2016. The new measure is expected to reverse that decision.

https://www.reviewjournal.com/news/2017 ... to-nevada/

Energy storage deployment surge 591% in the US to support renewable energy growth and stabilize the grid

• 71 megawatts of energy storage were deployed in Q1 2017, growing 276% over Q1 2016.
• 233.7 megawatt-hours of energy storage were deployed in Q1 2017, an increase of 944% from the same quarter last year.

https://electrek.co/2017/06/06/energy-s ... ent-surge/
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Newfie » Tue 06 Jun 2017, 20:24:46

I Refer happy talk of the more rational type. You know, stuff with a real basis for happiness, not some Disney fantasy.

We are transiting between Florida and Canada on our new to us annual migration. As punishment for living the good life we need to stop in Philadelphia for a while to do Drs visits, meet our building manager, visit and annoy children. We've been staying with my son whose house contains his family, other grandkids he is sitting, their manic dog and a large loud TV.

But for a few days between commitments we have escaped to our hunting cabin. Very basic. No running water. But quiet. We are being invaded by chipmunks, I've seen at least six at once and one was trying to claw his way through our sliding door. We have a fly catcher nesting in the awning. Squirrels, more birds, apples making in the trees and a deer in the yard. Raining now, it's hitting the tin roof. The brook across the road is running and provides some background noise. Just the Wife and I. Lovely. Heaven. :-D
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Newfie » Tue 06 Jun 2017, 20:42:03

I prefer happy talk of the more rational type. You know, stuff with a real basis for happiness, not some Disney fantasy.

We are transiting between Florida and Canada on our new to us annual migration. As punishment for living the good life we need to stop in Philadelphia for a while to do Drs visits, meet our building manager, visit and annoy children. We've been staying with my son whose house contains his family, other grandkids he is sitting, their manic dog and a large loud TV.

But for a few days between commitments we have escaped to our hunting cabin. Very basic. No running water. But quiet. We are being invaded by chipmunks, I've seen at least six at once and one was trying to claw his way through our sliding door. We have a fly catcher nesting in the awning. Squirrels, more birds, apples making in the trees and a deer in the yard. Raining now, it's hitting the tin roof. The brook across the road is running and provides some background noise. Just the Wife and I. Lovely. Heaven. :-D
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Cog » Tue 06 Jun 2017, 21:12:22

Two years after my father-in-law died my wife finds out she has inherited a life insurance policy covering her death that her parents took out 50 years ago on her. In the past four months we have mailed them several bits of documentation so she can own the policy. Only to get another letter a month later saying she needs to provide something else. Something she could have provided in her first paper work submittal if they had only indicated everything they wanted.

I am convinced this is purely a delay game on their part. Its a whole life policy worth $6500 if she cashes it in and $8500 if she just uses it as life insurance on herself. Given the slowness they have demonstrated so far, I shudder to think about the nut-roll involved in actually cashing it in. But we will be happy to get it.
Cog
Anti-Matter
Anti-Matter

Unread postby dohboi » Wed 07 Jun 2017, 14:13:06

Newf wrote: "...not some Disney fantasy..."

I'm pretty sure those linked stories are not 'fake news,' but if you have evidence to the contrary, please do share. But no, there is never going to be any 'happy news' that indicates that we are not going to be heading for very very serious negative consequences from our emissions of ghgs.

SOund like a great spot. Good luck with your relations with the 'locals'! :) :

Cog: congrats on the windfall. don't let the bastards grind you down!
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby dohboi » Wed 07 Jun 2017, 21:19:57

Tesla’s stock (TSLA) hits new all-time high again, joins Fortune 500 list

Fortune’s list goes by revenue and the $7 billion that Tesla pulled in last year was enough for the company to land in the #383 position.

https://electrek.co/2017/06/07/tesla-ts ... -500-list/
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby baha » Thu 08 Jun 2017, 07:09:18

The peas are about done. we put up a gallon and a half of frozen green peas. Yesterday I canned 14 quarts of green beans and I have 7 more to go. And that's just the first major harvest of beans. We have pulled 3 potato plants to get fresh new potatoes and a few big ones. We ate them all...oops :)
Garden1.jpg
Garden1.jpg (44.63 KiB) Viewed 531 times

The second plot is done with peppers, squash, tomatoes, cucumbers, okra, melons and corn. You see the solar array under way in the background. I am pouring concrete on the posts today. :) Won't be long now.
Garden2.jpg
Garden2.jpg (41.86 KiB) Viewed 531 times
baha
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby dohboi » Thu 08 Jun 2017, 07:40:59

Sweet! My peas are just coming in. Harvesting some mustard greens, radishes...too

Most of the rest is in potatoes and onions...luckily, since those are two things that woodchucks tend to avoid, and one (at least) just moved into the neighborhood.
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby baha » Thu 08 Jun 2017, 08:04:45

I have a neighbor ground hog. He loves cantalope :) Neither of us like it very much so I just grow it for him...then he leaves everything else alone.
baha
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Thu 08 Jun 2017, 09:38:49

Doh,

I don't want to spoil your thread so we can argue this point elsewhere, although I think Plants already covered most of my points.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Newfie » Thu 08 Jun 2017, 09:43:16

Nasty story. The good news is that this kind of thing makes my profession secure, should I ever decide to go back to work.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.nydailyn ... -1.3225724
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Environment