Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Haiti and Oil. ¿Just rumors?

For discussions of events and conditions not necessarily related to Peak Oil.

Haiti and Oil. ¿Just rumors?

Unread postby pana_burda » Sun 28 Feb 2010, 14:36:40

The Central Plateau, including the region of Thomond, the plain of the cul-de-sac and the bay of Port-au-Prince are filled with oil, he said, adding that Haiti's oil reserves are larger than those of Venezuela. An Olympic pool compared to a glass of water that is the comparison to show the importance of oil Haitian compared to those of Venezuela, "he explains.

http://remixxworld.blogspot.com/2010/01/haiti-has-larger-oil-reserves-than.html#
pana_burda
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Location: In freefall speed right down to the claws of the devil

Re: Haiti and Oil. ¿Just rumors?

Unread postby Ferretlover » Sun 28 Feb 2010, 14:44:54

Hey! I was wondering about that last night! So, we should be able to tell how much oil a country Really has by how fast how much aid is sent to it? Is Chile going to be as lucky as Haiti?
"Open the gates of hell!" ~Morgan Freeman's character in the movie, Olympus Has Fallen.
Ferretlover
Elite
Elite

Unread postby shortonsense » Sun 28 Feb 2010, 15:45:49

pana_burda wrote:
The Central Plateau, including the region of Thomond, the plain of the cul-de-sac and the bay of Port-au-Prince are filled with oil, he said, adding that Haiti's oil reserves are larger than those of Venezuela. An Olympic pool compared to a glass of water that is the comparison to show the importance of oil Haitian compared to those of Venezuela, "he explains.

http://remixxworld.blogspot.com/2010/01/haiti-has-larger-oil-reserves-than.html#

Real scientists have recently noted that Venezuela contains about the largest on the planet.

http://www.usgs.gov/newsroom/article.asp?ID=2386

The two "scientists" referenced in the article didn't have any qualifications referenced, and seemed to be trying to argue a geopolitical bent rather than having any geologic knowledge to back up their claims. Are there any other references you are aware of for Haiti having more oil than Venezuela, or can this be lumped into the "we never landed on the moon" category?
shortonsense
Permanently Banned

Unread postby copious.abundance » Sun 28 Feb 2010, 17:58:57

Kewel. If true, this will give me plenty of work to do in my catalog in the coming years. :)
Stuff for doomers to contemplate:
http://peakoil.com/forums/post1190117.html#p1190117
http://peakoil.com/forums/post1193930.html#p1193930
http://peakoil.com/forums/post1206767.html#p1206767
copious.abundance
Fission
Fission

Unread postby shortonsense » Sun 28 Feb 2010, 18:18:03

OilFinder2 wrote:Kewel. If true, this will give me plenty of work to do in my catalog in the coming years. :)

This abundance thing maybe just won't quit!
shortonsense
Permanently Banned

Unread postby rockdoc123 » Sun 28 Feb 2010, 19:03:22

Doing a bit of digging around on this and the "scientist" (I put that in brackets since I cannot find any credentials) is one Daniel Mathurin and I guess his brother. The interview with them in french points to the conspiracy theory link...i.e. the US knows about vast oil in Haiti and is saving it for themselves.

Daniel Mathurin révèle que des enquêtes de plusieurs gouvernements antérieurs ont permis de vérifier l’existence de ces importants gisements de pétrole. Il rapelle qu’un document du parti Fanmi Lavalas au pouvoir en 2004, avait précisé les nombreux sites d’hydrocarbures en Haiti.

Selon Daniel et Ginette Mathurin, la région des lacs, avec des villes comme Thomazeau et Cornillon, renferme d’importants gisements de pétrole.

Interrogée sur la non exploitation de ces sites, Ginette Mathurin a précisé que ces gisements sont déclarés réserves stratégiques des Etats Unis d’Amérique. Tout en faisant état de son imcompréhension d’une telle situation, elle rapelle que la caraïbe est considérée comme l’arriere cour des Etats Unis.

Cependant Daniel Et Ginette Mathurin indiquent que le gouvernement américain avait en 2005 autorisé l’exploitation des réserves stratégiques des Etats Unis. Cette porte doit être utilisée par les politiques haïtiens pour lancer des négiciations avec des compagnies américaines dans la perspective de l’exploitation de ces gisements ajoute Daniel Mathurin

As I remember the USGS report on this region gives very little in the way of undiscovered oil for a region that covers a number of countries including the Dominican Republic and Haiti.
rockdoc123
Expert
Expert

Unread postby pana_burda » Sun 28 Feb 2010, 19:40:42

shortonsense wrote:Real scientists have recently noted that Venezuela contains about the largest on the planet. link

The two "scientists" referenced in the article didn't have any qualifications referenced, and seemed to be trying to argue a geopolitical bent rather than having any geologic knowledge to back up their claims. Are there any other references you are aware of for Haiti having more oil than Venezuela, or can this be lumped into the "we never landed on the moon" category?

Real or Faked scientists? Well .... lets put this into perspective:
An estimated 513 billion barrels of technically recoverable heavy oil are in Venezuela’s Orinoco Oil Belt.
This area contains one of the world's largest recoverable oil accumulations, and this assessment is the first to identify how much is technically recoverable (producible using currently available technology and industry practices).

..... as from your very source.
Ramirez also said that with the most recent certification of crude oil reserves, which was conducted by the Chinese company CNPC, Venezuela is on track for its goal of certifying a total of 235 billion barrels in proven reserves in the Orinoco Oil Belt alone by the end of 2009. This is in addition to Venezuela’s 71 billion barrels of conventional crude.
link

..... as from THE official source. Yet, there is a tiny gap between both sources and their REAL perspectives.

As from my point of view, every time our reserves do go up, usually in the proximities of a new energy summit, the certification would come from either brazilian scientists .... or ecuatorian scientists, chineese ones ..... or even cuban ones!

Regardless the ammount of oil hidden in Haiti, the military signs, shown in the north american "help", tells its own tale won´t it?
pana_burda
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby shortonsense » Sun 28 Feb 2010, 20:31:41

pana_burda wrote:Real or Faked scientists?
I used the word "real" because the scientists I referenced write papers, give talks, have resumes, are cited by others as part of the professional discourse which goes on among scientists, have been doing these things for years and years, etc etc.

The link you referenced claimed that scientists were involved, but they didn't talk about science, but rather run of the mill geopolitical conspiracy stuff.
pana_burda wrote: Well .... lets put this into perspective:
An estimated 513 billion barrels of technically recoverable heavy oil are in Venezuela’s Orinoco Oil Belt.
This area contains one of the world's largest recoverable oil accumulations, and this assessment is the first to identify how much is technically recoverable (producible using currently available technology and industry practices).

..... as from your very source.
Ramirez also said that with the most recent certification of crude oil reserves, which was conducted by the Chinese company CNPC, Venezuela is on track for its goal of certifying a total of 235 billion barrels in proven reserves in the Orinoco Oil Belt alone by the end of 2009. This is in addition to Venezuela’s 71 billion barrels of conventional crude.
link

..... as from THE official source. Yet, there is a tiny gap between both sources and their REAL perspectives.
Really? Could you please reference what their REAL perspectives are, versus their professional opinions and what they've published? Do you know these people? Have you called them and asked for "off the record and REAL perspectives"?
pana_burda wrote:As from my point of view, every time our reserves do go up, usually in the proximities of a new energy summit, the certification would come from either brazilian scientists .... or ecuatorian scientists, chineese ones ..... or even cuban ones!

Regardless the ammount of oil hidden in Haiti, the military signs, shown in the north american "help", tells its own tale won´t it?

The USGS did not certify reserves. And I'm guessing if the Brazilians, Ecuadorians, Chinese or Cubans wanted to know something about undiscovered resources in their area, the USGS is the first organization they would ask for help on how to do it.

And US military "help" because of a massive earthquake has nothing to do with oil...Cubas, Haitis or Venezuelas.
shortonsense
Permanently Banned

Unread postby brixio » Mon 01 Mar 2010, 05:21:12

i'm wondering if massive oil extractions can lead to earthquakes...maybe not exactly in the same place where oil has been extracted. what do you think about it? i remember i read a while ago that oil extractions caused (in indonesia sidoarjo) this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sidoarjo
brixio
Wood
Wood

Unread postby pana_burda » Mon 01 Mar 2010, 12:24:59

The French minister in charge of humanitarian relief called on the UN to "clarify" the American role amid claims the military build up was hampering aid efforts.
Alain Joyandet admitted he had been involved in a scuffle with a US commander in the airport's control tower over the flight plan for a French evacuation flight.
Robert Gates says "This is about helping Haiti, not about occupying Haiti," Mr Joyandet said.
link

As we can see here, I am not the only one confused about their role being played down in that country. By the way, not even by the taking of all major airports and seaports by a disproportionate and lightenning quick number of marines but also that "help" is coming in the form of U.S. private mercenaries sent to control off that population.

Disturbing images
pana_burda
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby rockdoc123 » Mon 01 Mar 2010, 13:23:46

i'm wondering if massive oil extractions can lead to earthquakes...maybe not exactly in the same place where oil has been extracted. what do you think about it? i remember i read a while ago that oil extractions caused (in indonesia sidoarjo) this:

the mud volcano in Indonesia was a completely different beast and largely due to a screwup by the company drilling there (I think it was Medex).

As to whether or not oil extraction could cause earthquakes I think that is unlikely. In California the worry all the time was that injection in the subsurface might cause earthquakes which is a legitimate concern simply because increased pore fluid pressure can result in early failure (I could explain this with reference to the Mohr circle of stress and failure envelopes but I doubt it would be meaningful). On the contrary decreasing pore fluid pressure should make the system more stable, all things being equal (which generally they aren't).

Also I'd point out for anything to happen you would have to be producing right next to a fault zone, it wouldn't happen if you were several miles away.
rockdoc123
Expert
Expert

Unread postby brixio » Tue 02 Mar 2010, 04:42:22

rockdoc123 wrote:On the contrary decreasing pore fluid pressure should make the system more stable, all things being equal (which generally they aren't).

thanks for the explanation. i kept asking myself this question for a while.
brixio
Wood
Wood

Return to Geopolitics & Global Economics