Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

GULF STREAM SHUT DOWN NOW HAPPENING

Re: GULF STREAM SHUT DOWN NOW HAPPENING

Unread postby AdamB » Wed 22 Jun 2016, 13:45:55

dohboi wrote:"something else cool and scary might have been necessary to keep up morale"

Ah, I see you're an idiot. Thanks for letting me know so I can put you on my ignore list.

I agree that for most folks, 'tis best to avoid thinking outside one's box, lest a neuron be utilized, a new synapse fired.

I always recommend laughter and honesty, when caught falling for a whopper. I recommend applying a wee bit more of those critical thinking skills prior to A) falling for said whopper and B) piling on the hyperbole to up the scare factor.

A lesson I learned from peak oil, that might benefit some climate folks. Just sayin.
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Plantagenet » Wed 22 Jun 2016, 13:54:42

AdamB wrote:
A lesson I learned from peak oil, that might benefit some climate folks. Just sayin.

?????

What lesson is that?

Are you suggesting the world will never reach peak oil or you suggesting we can stop global warming by fracking the atmosphere?

Cheers!
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby AdamB » Wed 22 Jun 2016, 16:01:17

Plantagenet wrote:
AdamB wrote:

?????

What lesson is that?

Taking a claim of what the future will be based on someone else's model of potentially little or no value, amping up the scary factor as high as possible...and then when the future arrives, pretending it must have been someone else who fell for the hyperbole, back when. Worse yet, grabbing ANOTHER claim of what the future will be based on someone else's new model, possibly based on the same things as before (thereby becoming a kick the can exercise) and kicking back, satisfied that THIS time, you got it right.

Watch that happen ad nauseam, one might become a WEE bit more circumspect. WEE bit.

Plantagenet wrote:Are you suggesting the world will never reach peak oil or you suggesting we can stop global warming by fracking the atmosphere?

I'm suggesting we learn from experience. Particularly when people want to insert hyperbole and SCARY into every single thing they can think of, link to, or reference. Higher dosages of critical thinking for everyone!! We need you Albert!!

Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Plantagenet » Wed 22 Jun 2016, 17:59:36

AdamB wrote:[
I'm suggesting we learn from experience. Particularly when people want to insert hyperbole and SCARY into every single thing they can think of, link to, or reference. Higher dosages of critical thinking for everyone!! We need you Albert!!

Are you suggesting a scientist like Albert Einstein wouldn't believe in global warming?

Pardon me, but thats rather unlikely. Einstein was a theoretical physicist. He would've understood the physics of greenhouse gases quite well, and most likely would've concurred with the modern scientific consensus that greenhouse warming is a serous problem that is going to have serious consequences.

If you find that "SCAREY" then perhaps that means you're beginning to understand the magnitude of the global warming problem.

Cheers!
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby onlooker » Wed 22 Jun 2016, 20:41:17

Adam what part of AGW do u think is not scary ?
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Thu 23 Jun 2016, 02:17:45

You are arguing with a sock puppet creationist. He doesn't believe man has the ability to destroy God's creation. He's also a climate change denier, so you might as well save your breath.
"For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst and provide for it." - Patrick Henry

The level of injustice and wrong you endure is directly determined by how much you quietly submit to. Even to the point of extinction.
Cid_Yama
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby AdamB » Thu 23 Jun 2016, 10:21:29

Plantagenet wrote:
AdamB wrote:[

Are you suggesting a scientist like Albert Einstein wouldn't believe in global warming?

I didn't say anything remotely resembling that. Are you trolling me!! :lol:

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby AdamB » Thu 23 Jun 2016, 10:30:17

onlooker wrote:Adam what part of AGW do u think is not scary ?

All of it is not scary. What kind of pissing our pants chicken shits have we humans become, to drool on ourselves and cower in fear of some temperature change here, or there?

If we as a species are offed because our climate changes, REGARDLESS OF WHY, then that is all she wrote. If the consensus was that the world was cooling, we would all still be here pissing our pants about it, the key isn't that humans are making it warm, or the sun, but that the world CHANGES. That is where the apparent fear resides, and then people are attaching all these cool doomer scenarios to it, wringing their hands incessantly because that is what doomers do, and when peak oil went away climate became the next best thing.

But isn't warming that is causing it, any more than it if it was cooling during the LIA or the 1970's, the problem is CHANGE. People hate it, businesses hate it, it implies instability, and we as a species HATE the idea of our old ways of doing things suddenly not working.

So...if you have no fear of change, you have no fear of climate CHANGE. if you can't imagine a world different than the one you are in today, you begin pissing your pants and praying and looking for someone to blame it on, and pretending you can fix it, or hoping you can, and if you can't then you begin screaming OH NOES!!! WEEZ ALL GONNA DIE!!! from your rooftop.

But nothing about CLIMATE change is scary. But to most folks, climate CHANGE is.

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Plantagenet » Thu 23 Jun 2016, 11:42:29

AdamB wrote:
pissing our pants chicken shits ... drool on ourselves ... cower in fear... pissing .... pants ....screaming OH NOES!!! WEEZ ALL GONNA DIE!!!

Relax.

Cheers! :)
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Re: THE Oceans & Seas Thread pt 3

Unread postby dohboi » Fri 18 Sep 2020, 03:34:42

Not sure where to put this, so i thought i'd just dump it here, since there's an ocean element:

Sea ice Triggered the Little Ice Age, Finds a New Study

https://phys.org/news/2020-09-sea-ice-t ... d-age.html
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby jedrider » Fri 18 Sep 2020, 13:34:38

AdamB wrote:

All of it is not scary. What kind of pissing our pants chicken shits have we humans become, to drool on ourselves and cower in fear of some temperature change here, or there?
But nothing about CLIMATE change is scary. But to most folks, climate CHANGE is.

I don't know about that. I see a lot of people scared shitless that climate is going to burn down their house, float away their automobile and their possessions in a torrential deluge, shorten the lives of their children, etc.

I don't see any aspect of climate change that is not scary. It is no less scary than if Attila the Hun was getting ready to attack us and we knew it.
jedrider
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby jawagord » Fri 18 Sep 2020, 13:49:17

jedrider wrote:
AdamB wrote:

I don't know about that. I see a lot of people scared shitless that climate is going to burn down their house, float away their automobile and their possessions in a torrential deluge, shorten the lives of their children, etc.

I don't see any aspect of climate change that is not scary. It is no less scary than if Attila the Hun was getting ready to attack us and we knew it.

Why scary, I read here almost daily that Arctic sea ice is shrinking and the ocean is warming, the exact opposite of what the study says caused the cooling, unless the scary part is climate can change without any "forcing"?

The provocative results show that external forcing from volcanoes or other causes may not be necessary for large swings in climate to occur. Miles continued, "These results strongly suggest...that these things can occur out of the blue due to internal variability in the climate system."

The marine cores also show a sustained, far-flung pulse of sea ice near the Norse colonies on Greenland coincident with their disappearance in the 15th century. A debate has raged over why the colonies vanished, usually agreeing only that a cooling climate pushed hard on their resilience. Miles and his colleagues would like to factor in the oceanic changes nearby: very large amounts of sea ice and cold polar waters, year after year for nearly a century.

"This massive belt of ice that comes streaming out of the Arctic—in the past and even today—goes all the way around Cape Farewell
to around where these colonies were," Miles said. He would like to look more closely into oceanic conditions along with researchers who study the social sciences in relation to climate.
Don't deny the peak!
jawagord
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby dohboi » Fri 18 Sep 2020, 15:16:17

jaw's argument is basically:

Hey, even without hitting it, a wasps' nest could happen to fall on the ground right while you're walking by and sting you to death. So go ahead and wack away at that wasps' nest

mmmmmmmaybe not the right lesson to learn here.
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby jedrider » Fri 18 Sep 2020, 15:57:13

Why scary, I read here almost daily that Arctic sea ice is shrinking and the ocean is warming

Because you don't get out of your confined space or wherever you happen to spend most of your time in front of a computer monitor.

It is NOT just the headlines, it's the actual thing now that we get to directly experience.
jedrider
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby AdamB » Fri 18 Sep 2020, 17:43:26

jedrider wrote:
AdamB wrote:

It is called "uncertainty". Folks abhor it. Climate change doesn't burn down your house, fireplaces, smoking in bed, indoor kerosene heaters and leaking gas lines do. Automobiles have been floating away in floods as long as their have been floods and automobiles. Shorter life spans are already a consequence of shitty lifestyles and eating habits.

You can soil yourself over all of them, obviously, and many do. Ultimately, it comes down to the uncertainty involved with CHANGE. Regardless of why.

jedrider wrote:I don't see any aspect of climate change that is not scary. It is no less scary than if Attila the Hun was getting ready to attack us and we knew it.

Oh, stop being hysterical. Humanity made it through the climate change of the LIA, and every trough in between the Medieval Warming, the Roman Warming, the Minoan Warming, and the Holocene A and B warmings.

Humanity has already made their choice, and it is that we are going to adapt, one way or another. We know this because we have explicitly chosen to NOT stop our biosphere polluting activities. So make a plan and work it! Those of us who bought EVs back during the peak oil scare mongering days certainly know how well that worked out, as we appeared to have mitigated peak oil fears right out of existence!

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby jedrider » Fri 18 Sep 2020, 21:28:00

Uncertainty? No. Many know they won't be able to rebuild NOW!

Uncertainty with the final results? There, too, not much uncertainty either.

Of course, we'll be able to live out a truncated life most likely. Just as if a sabertooth tiger caught us with our guard down. That hasn't changed.

Insuring ourselves? I think that's about to change actually.
jedrider
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby dohboi » Sat 19 Sep 2020, 12:19:51

Good point, Jed.

If there's one thing gw is at this point, it is certain.

Certain that it it happening, is going to continue to happen...basically forever in human time frames...and will continue to get worse and worse and worse

In some way, people now have the 'advantage' of knowing pretty clearly some of the broad outlines of what is going to hit. The problem is that what exactly will hit in any particular location at any particular time is still fairly hard to figure in most cases. And timelines could end up being faster than expected (a recurring headline that is so common now, there's a whole fb page devoted to it), or in some cases and places, slower.
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby EnergyUnlimited » Sat 19 Sep 2020, 14:50:28

jedrider wrote:I don't see any aspect of climate change that is not scary. It is no less scary than if Attila the Hun was getting ready to attack us and we knew it.

At this point large proportion of overtaxed Roman citizens were only eager to join him.
EnergyUnlimited
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby AdamB » Sat 19 Sep 2020, 22:00:37

jedrider wrote:Uncertainty? No. Many know they won't be able to rebuild NOW!

Uncertainty with the final results? There, too, not much uncertainty either.

Of course there is uncertainty. Will my place get hot, or really hot! Wet...or not so wet!!

There are no facts about the future.

jedrider wrote:Of course, we'll be able to live out a truncated life most likely. Just as if a sabertooth tiger caught us with our guard down. That hasn't changed.

What are you talking about, many of us are already living truncated lives, with our first worlder rich diseases. As usual, the rich/wealthy will end up doing better than the poor in our changing world, and as we have chosen to not modify our behavior, we are left with the wonders of adaptation! Just as we did before.

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Back to the Day After Tomorrow (collapse of the AMOC)

Unread postby Azothius » Sat 07 Aug 2021, 14:08:31

(is there already a thread for the AMOC?)

Observation-based early-warning signals for a collapse of the Atlantic Meridional Overturning Circulation
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41558-021-01097-4

Observations and recently suggested fingerprints of AMOC variability indicate a gradual weakening during the last decades, but estimates of the critical transition point remain uncertain.

Here, a robust and general early-warning indicator for forthcoming critical transitions is introduced. Significant early-warning signals are found in eight independent AMOC indices, based on observational sea-surface temperature and salinity data from across the Atlantic Ocean basin. These results reveal spatially consistent empirical evidence that, in the course of the last century, the AMOC may have evolved from relatively stable conditions to a point close to a critical transition.

Climate crisis: Scientists spot warning signs of Gulf Stream collapse
https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... m-collapse

Climate scientists have detected warning signs of the collapse of the Gulf Stream, one of the planet’s main potential tipping points.

The research found “an almost complete loss of stability over the last century” of the currents that researchers call the Atlantic meridional overturning circulation (AMOC). The currents are already at their slowest point in at least 1,600 years, but the new analysis shows they may be nearing a shutdown.

A critical ocean system may be heading for collapse due to climate change, study finds
https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate- ... eridional/

If the circulation shuts down, it could bring extreme cold to Europe and parts of North America, raise sea levels along the U.S. East Coast and disrupt seasonal monsoons that provide water to much of the world.

faster than expected...
In its 2019 “Special Report on the Ocean and Cryosphere in a Changing Climate,” the U.N. Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change projected that the AMOC would weaken during this century, but total collapse within the next 300 years was only likely under the worst-case warming scenarios.

The new analysis suggests “the critical threshold is most likely much closer than we would have expected,” Boers said.
Ragnarok is Coming
Azothius
Lignite
Lignite

PreviousNext

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate