Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

LNG / CNG Semi Trucks

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

LNG / CNG Semi Trucks

Unread postby Tikib » Sun 26 Jul 2015, 20:50:09

As everyone knows theirs two stings in the tale to Peak Oil, the first is peak liquids and the second is peak energy. We might be on target to get through peak energy but we are defintely behind the curve on peak liquids.

The way to get through the first crisis is to convert trucks to LNG. I am sure batteries are better for non fossil fuel sources of energy but our primary energy source at the current time is actually gas.

A crtical part of this is that the compression can be done electrically. So it also passes on some of the energy costs to the grid forcing the uptake of alternative energy.
Tikib
Lignite
Lignite

Re: Great idea please don't delete this.

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Mon 27 Jul 2015, 07:59:28

Tikib - Here's the problem: there have been numerous cures offered for our energy situation such as yours. It's obvious a good idea. But now you have to follow thru: how much would it cost and how do you force folks, including the politicians, to pay that price?

So please give it a shot: how much would it cost, how long would it take and how would the process be put into action? Can you come up with some realistic answers? There are abundant "good ideas". The "great idea" would be how to initiate and finance such actions.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby sparky » Mon 27 Jul 2015, 08:41:17

tikib , kudos you got it right ,
a small quibble , pretty much on Rockman line .
LNG have a lower power density than diesel ,
hint , that why they use diesel .
you are certainly right in mentioning a phase shift from peak liquid to peak energy
it's , in my mind the very crux of the problem
...transition from an energy system to another ( whatever that is )
sparky
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Tikib » Mon 27 Jul 2015, 09:40:01

Well a massive subsidy on LNG gas vehicles would help a lot. My opinion is that the market will eventually do this anyway. But it will reduce the depth of the crisis if we start conversions now.

The problem that people like Elon Musk don't see is that will suffer an energy crisis at the same time as the fuel crisis it just won't be as severe. There won't be enough electricity availible to power electric vehicles.

But there will still be a fair amount of gas at least for the next 10 years.
Tikib
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Keith_McClary » Mon 27 Jul 2015, 11:15:20

Natural Gas-Powered Volvo Trucks
Natural gas options are viable for local and regional haul fleets concerned about CO2 emissions and wanting to utilize our nation’s abundant supply of natural gas to reduce dependence on foreign oil. Despite short-term infrastructure questions regarding widespread adoption of natural gas as a heavy-duty truck fuel, it’s clear this segment will grow over the next several years.

Today Volvo is delivering factory-built VNM 200 & VNL 300 natural gas spark ignition powered trucks for local and regional haul applications, featuring Cummins ISL G and ISX12 G compressed natural gas (CNG) and liquefied natural gas (LNG) powered engines.
Facebook knows you're a dog.
Keith_McClary
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Tikib » Mon 27 Jul 2015, 11:29:57

Yea we need to get as many of those on the road before the coming oil crisis hits.

The other thing is that they are actually really good for the envrionment too. Once you put enough of them on the roads the price of methane spikes and every molecule of methane has value and capitilism will do its best to stop putting it into the atmosphere.
Tikib
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby davep » Mon 27 Jul 2015, 13:31:21

Any travel to and from Britain would be verboten though. They're not allowed on ferries or in the channel tunnel.
What we think, we become.
davep
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Unread postby yellowcanoe » Mon 27 Jul 2015, 13:46:30

LNG conversions are not cheap. I think it is highly questionable that gas prices will remain low long enough for a LNG conversion to pay off. Despite the much hyped shale gas boom, the United States is still a net importer of natural gas. As LNG export facilities come on line (starting with Sabine Pass in 4Q 2015) natural gas prices in North America will start to rise towards the world price (minus a few dollars due to the cost of liquifying and transporting natural gas for the international market). There is also some question as to how much shale gas can ultimately be recovered.

We need to focus on transportation technologies that don't require the use of fossil fuels.
"new housing construction" is spelled h-a-b-i-t-a-t d-e-s-t-r-u-c-t-i-o-n.
yellowcanoe
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Tikib » Mon 27 Jul 2015, 13:52:18

LNG is a transition fuel IMHO. Fracking plays can be profitable for much longer once gas becomes more valauble. And there is currently unexploited offshore gas because gas isn't valauble enough yet. All it does is the kick the can 5-10 years down the road. If we don't have a source of energy competitive with fossil fuels by 2020 we are sunk.
Tikib
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby davep » Mon 27 Jul 2015, 14:00:40

In continental Europe (e.g. France and Germany), even medium-sized cities are getting good tram infrastructure. There have been quite a few near me (such as Dijon and Besançon) over the past couple of years. I see that as a good investment for the future.
davep
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Unread postby Tikib » Mon 27 Jul 2015, 21:09:08

So having looked at the science of it. LNG makes sense as transport fuel for the next 5-10 years, and more specifically for larger vehicles like buses, trucks and ships. So it will probably replace diesel.

Meanwhile smaller vehicles are more likely to be powered by electricity.

Theres no easy replacement for kerosene as far as I can see... Which means that I would expect to see passenger planes almost drop off the map for 10 years or so.
Tikib
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby StarvingLion » Tue 28 Jul 2015, 00:07:24

"Meanwhile smaller vehicles are more likely to be powered by electricity."

No. The "renewables" scam is going to collapse instead.
Outcast_Searcher is a fraud.
StarvingLion
Permanently Banned

Unread postby davep » Tue 28 Jul 2015, 03:19:40

StarvingLion wrote:"Meanwhile smaller vehicles are more likely to be powered by electricity."

Try to back up your assertions with an argument. It makes for debate rather than :roll:
davep
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Unread postby StarvingLion » Tue 28 Jul 2015, 03:46:35

davep wrote:
StarvingLion wrote:"Meanwhile smaller vehicles are more likely to be powered by electricity."

Try to back up your assertions with an argument. It makes for debate rather than :roll:

Isn't it rather obvious that the so-called energy battle line is really a political divide between neoliberalism (globalism) versus National Sovereignty rather than peoples belief systems toward energy and ecology? So respectively,

Fossil Fuels + (Wind + Solar)

versus

Nuclear + Synthetic liquid fuels

Loss of sovereignty over ones hard resources for the "joy" of competing to win access to mining the meager intermittent wind and sun is a scam. The fools voting for the Elon Musk solid state energy "innovation" because they despise the oil industry and neoliberalism are actually unwittingly further strengthening it.

Either labor (and that includes skilled) wakes the hell up and kicks the fossil fuel financial elite ("investors") out of their country or they are toast. The "job providers" have no intention of providing jobs.
Outcast_Searcher is a fraud.
StarvingLion
Permanently Banned

Unread postby davep » Tue 28 Jul 2015, 04:05:31

StarvingLion wrote:
davep wrote:

Isn't it rather obvious that the so-called energy battle line is really a political divide between neoliberalism (globalism) versus National Sovereignty rather than peoples belief systems toward energy and ecology? So respectively,

Fossil Fuels + (Wind + Solar)

versus

Nuclear + Synthetic liquid fuels

Loss of sovereignty over ones hard resources for the "joy" of competing to win access to mining the meager intermittent wind and sun is a scam. The fools voting for the Elon Musk solid state energy "innovation" because they despise the oil industry and neoliberalism are actually unwittingly further strengthening it.

Either labor (and that includes skilled) wakes the hell up and kicks the fossil fuel financial elite ("investors") out of their country or they are toast. The "job providers" have no intention of providing jobs.

I can understand the loss of sovereignty issue for fossil fuels (indeed Churchill knew about it when moving the Royal Navy from coal to oil a century ago). But I don't see how there is anything like the same loss of sovereignty from renewables. The resources tend to be available locally, and the technologies also tend to offer more local jobs.
davep
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Tue 28 Jul 2015, 08:08:10

Tiki - "My opinion is that the market will eventually do this anyway" And this is where I have serious doubts. The "market" isn't going to invest hundreds of $billions in expanding the CNG delivery infrastructure until there are sufficient number of CNG vehicles on the road. And that isn't going to happen until there's a widespread CNG delivery infrastructure in place. Of course that was the same dilemma faced when gasoline/diesel ICE's hit the market about a century ago. And it took decades for that chicken/egg problem to correct itself. It’s difficult for me to envision we’ll have decades to resolve the issue.

Consider why Ford went with gasoline instead of diesel: there was almost no market for the gasoline component of the refining process at the time. Thus there was a very cheap source and thus a great market force to take advantage of the situation. OTOH that’s not the situation we have today with NG and certainly won’t be the situation when NG prices eventually increase. So back to the same question I asked before: what will be the source of the hundreds of $billions needed to get a significant CNG delivery infrastructure and fleet of vehicles in place in a time frame that would help the situation? Unfortunately you can’t start a “solution” with the word “if”.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Tikib » Tue 28 Jul 2015, 10:10:42

Well like a said a large subsidy would help. Compared to other things your government spends money on(read foreign wars) it would be pocket change.

When the difference in the cost of diesel compared to the cost of LNG gets high enough the market will correct itself. Of course the time neccessary for correction will cost the economy a lot of money.

From my point of view almost every day I seem to hear news of new gas discoveries. I almost never hear news of new conventional oil deposits.
Tikib
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Keith_McClary » Tue 28 Jul 2015, 12:08:57

Tikib wrote:From my point of view almost every day I seem to hear news of new gas discoveries. I almost never hear news of new conventional oil deposits.
Where is Mr. OilFinder when we need him?
Facebook knows you're a dog.
Keith_McClary
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Scrub Puller » Tue 28 Jul 2015, 16:47:10

Yair . . .

Maybe slightly O/T but when it comes to delivery of gasoline and diesel fuel in the USA how is the product shifted to the roadhouse/service station?

I assume it travels by pipe line between major centres and then by truck?

Cheers.
Scrub Puller
Lignite
Lignite

Next

Return to Peak Oil Discussion