Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Goodbye World/It's a Disaster

A forum to either submit your own review of a book, video or audio interview, or to post reviews by others.

Goodbye World/It's a Disaster

Unread postby dinopello » Mon 05 Jan 2015, 19:19:11

Can't say I recommend this movie,as I fell asleep watching it about 30 minutes in but a lot of the characters seemed familiar to this (and other) sites. It's currently on Netflix so if you have that you can check it out.

James and Lily live off the grid, raising their young daughter in a cocoon of comfort and sustainability. When a mysterious mass text ripples its way across the country, triggering a crippling, apocalyptic cyber attack, their home transitions from sheltered modern oasis to a fortress for the estranged old friends that show up at their door for protection and community. The unexpected reunion--abundant with revelry and remembrances, generously enhanced by organic wine and weed--is quickly undermined by the slights of the past, the spark of lingering flirtations and the threat of a locally grown new world order. Balancing tense confrontations with slivers of levity, director Denis Henry Hennelly pinpoints a future where ideology explodes into action in every area.

I just saw in the comments for "Goodbye World" recommending this It's a Disaster, and it sounds a little similar. I checked and it's also on Netflix, so maybe I'll watch both and compare.

Eight friends meet for their monthly couples brunch. But what starts as an impromptu therapy session/airing of domestic grievances takes a sudden, catastrophic turn when the city falls victim to a mysterious attack. Trapped in the house and unsure of their fates, these seemingly normal people become increasingly unhinged to surprising results.
dinopello
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Re: Goodbye World/It's a Disaster

Unread postby Sixstrings » Mon 05 Jan 2015, 19:31:02

Ha, so funny you posted this Dino, I saw this a week ago.

A little corny, but I enjoyed it, and it had some good moments. It's not so much a "doomer flick" as it is a hipster melodrama with mild doom in the background.

(I mean seriously, it's the End of the World an they are all clean and stylish and fashionable and hipster and drinking red wine and eating arugala with candles lit blah blah, what kinda Doom is that)
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Mon 05 Jan 2015, 20:27:56

It would take the end of the world (or extreme hunger) to get me to eat arugula.

As for doomer movies, they don't come better than this one: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0072730/?ref_=nv_sr_1

KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Resistance is Futile, YOU will be Assimilated.

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Shaved Monkey » Tue 06 Jan 2015, 03:54:15

Arugla or wild rocket as we call it (I also grow the civilised one), grows like a weed here all year round,my wife and I love it,parmessan cheese and a simple French mustardardy vinaigrette.
The more you pick it the faster it grows,a doomers dream plant
Ready to turn Zombies into WWOOFers
Shaved Monkey
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby sparky » Tue 06 Jan 2015, 04:13:52

Read " a boy and his dog" at a tender age when violence and sex were sooooo appealing
the final paragraph had Vic having to feed his best friend ( and fighting support ) blood ,
who waited for him in dire circumstances
the girl friend was the only available source of protein ,Vic wasn't hungry but as he said "a boy love his dog"
sparky
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Subjectivist » Tue 06 Jan 2015, 08:54:08

dinopello wrote:Can't say I recommend this movie,as I fell asleep watching it about 30 minutes in but a lot of the characters seemed familiar to this (and other) sites. It's currently on Netflix so if you have that you can check it out.

James and Lily live off the grid, raising their young daughter in a cocoon of comfort and sustainability. When a mysterious mass text ripples its way across the country, triggering a crippling, apocalyptic cyber attack, their home transitions from sheltered modern oasis to a fortress for the estranged old friends that show up at their door for protection and community. The unexpected reunion--abundant with revelry and remembrances, generously enhanced by organic wine and weed--is quickly undermined by the slights of the past, the spark of lingering flirtations and the threat of a locally grown new world order. Balancing tense confrontations with slivers of levity, director Denis Henry Hennelly pinpoints a future where ideology explodes into action in every area.

I just saw in the comments for "Goodbye World" recommending this It's a Disaster, and it sounds a little similar. I checked and it's also on Netflix, so maybe I'll watch both and compare.

Eight friends meet for their monthly couples brunch. But what starts as an impromptu therapy session/airing of domestic grievances takes a sudden, catastrophic turn when the city falls victim to a mysterious attack. Trapped in the house and unsure of their fates, these seemingly normal people become increasingly unhinged to surprising results.

I tried watching this movie last night, only got about a third of the way through. The actors are fine, but the roles they play are a group of idiots. Their top priorities with the exception of the property owner are booze, pot and sex. When the National Guard arrives the Owner is the only one who realizes the gravity of the situation. None of them take being cut off from modern civilization seriously.

I am going to try watching the rest of it but my hopes are not high.
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Sixstrings » Tue 06 Jan 2015, 16:49:45

Subjectivist wrote:The actors are fine, but the roles they play are a group of idiots. Their top priorities with the exception of the property owner are booze, pot and sex. When the National Guard arrives the Owner is the only one who realizes the gravity of the situation. None of them take being cut off from modern civilization seriously.

Like I said, it's a hispter melodrama. Look at how they dress -- those are what is called "hipsters."

In real doom and collapse, "hipsters" will not do well, at all.

Scene from the movie:

Clean, "vintage" clothes. Fashionable beards. Everyone is way too clean and things are all perfect. That's hipsters on a trust fund, it's not Doom. :lol:

Now, there's a kernel of a good idea with this movie though -- like those two US army soldiers finally show up at the compound. THEY look dangerous and ragged, verging on marauders. Someone could make a good doomer novel / movie along these lines, but this movie is not quite it.

Just cinema wise, two of the actors in this movie though are very good, I wouldn't mind seeing them in something else. Actually, a lot of the acting was good and there are moments in the film. The movie just annoyed me too much at the same time, it's not really a doomer movie.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Tanada » Tue 06 Jan 2015, 17:15:29

I tried watching this morning, its been in my netflix Que for quite some time. Blech, I just couldn't take it after about 30 minutes. Very disappointing, like Six said, a bunch of trust funders with no sense of how the cold hard real world works, and one of them is supposed to be a convicted felon who served time in prison? Yet he acts even less realistically than the truly sheltered persona's in the movie.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Subjectivist » Wed 07 Jan 2015, 09:15:33

Just watched Its A Disaster, a much better movie IMO. Though I didn't like the false doctrine of the 'Bible Teacher' the movie was well acted and the action/reactions of the cast were realistic for the first few hours following a disaster. These people came across as realistic to me, some were paranoid, some were despondent, some were suicidal, but there was also hope and the will to live.
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Ibon » Wed 07 Jan 2015, 09:44:34

No interest to watch this but it is interesting to see this genre of the end of the world being milked by the movie makers. Our poor imperiled planet and the stupid humans that just cant get it right.

Do movie makers mold culture or do they identify the memes and themes in the collective and then go out and make a movie they know will then resonate with what is cooking in the collective soup?

Related to that we all have our internal movies and narratives going on in our minds and I think wisdom sometimes is realizing that these internal narratives we carry around with us are not much different than what we watch projected on the screen.

We are a species that has a tremendous need to bond with the tribe, with the collective, even those of us who proclaim to want nothing to do with our fellow kudzu apes. Many of our internal narratives seem to be dealing with the anxiety that our tribe is a broken mess.
Patiently awaiting the pathogens. Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
blog: http://blog.mounttotumas.com/
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby dinopello » Wed 07 Jan 2015, 11:31:53

I tried again to watch Goodbye World last night but I was distracted with work so didn't probably get all the nuances (if there were any). I agree it's less a disaster/doom movie than a modern day "Big Chill" kind of thing where the story is about the reunion of friends that have different perspectives. Some earlier in this thread seemed to object that people wanted to party and have sex - remind me to stay away from your doomstead ! And, arugala is awesome. Overall the movie was pretty dull.

One of the interludes that I did see that I thought summed up the main prepper in the movie is when he asked how the guy had done a magic (card) trick and when the magician wouldn't reveal it the prepper said "if you don't know how the trick is done it's not entertaining, it's just annoying". It seemed to sum up his lack of enjoyment for living, while at the same time he was working the hardest to preserve his life.
dinopello
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Loki » Wed 07 Jan 2015, 13:52:52

dinopello wrote:I tried again to watch Goodbye World last night but I was distracted with work so didn't probably get all the nuances (if there were any). I agree it's less a disaster/doom movie than a modern day "Big Chill" kind of thing where the story is about the reunion of friends that have different perspectives. Some earlier in this thread seemed to object that people wanted to party and have sex - remind me to stay away from your doomstead ! And, arugala is awesome. Overall the movie was pretty dull.

Pretty much agree with this. Dull movie with mostly insufferable characters. It was a different take on the doom meme, though. One good take away point is that in a collapse like that hinted at in the movie, you have to learn to work with your neighbors.

And yes, arugula is delicious, as are all mustard greens.

I haven't heard of It's a Disaster, I'll have to check that out. Seeking a Friend for the End of the World is another recent doom flick with a different approach, much better executed than Goodbye World.
A garden will make your rations go further.
Loki
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Loki » Wed 07 Jan 2015, 13:57:12

Sixstrings wrote:Clean, "vintage" clothes. Fashionable beards. Everyone is way too clean and things are all perfect. That's hipsters on a trust fund, it's not Doom. :lol:

Um, "doom" is literally just starting in that scene, they're watching a message about it on TV. 10 seconds earlier it was just normal life, that's why they're not dressed like this guy:

A garden will make your rations go further.
Loki
Expert
Expert

Unread postby ralfy » Thu 08 Jan 2015, 01:00:53

My favorite's The Road (both the novel and the film).
ralfy
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby PrestonSturges » Sat 10 Jan 2015, 20:36:00

ralfy wrote:My favorite's The Road (both the novel and the film).

Except for the cliche about how nobody has a gun or they have The Gun With One Bullet. In post-apocalyptic America, everyone would be toting as much guns and ammo as they cared to haul around with them. The survivors would be knee-deep in guns.
PrestonSturges
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Sixstrings » Sat 10 Jan 2015, 20:50:26

ralfy wrote:My favorite's The Road (both the novel and the film).

You know, I never read the book or saw that movie. It just seems so depressing.

Real life has enough sh*t going on, I don't like too much misery in my fiction actually. It's got to have something uplifting in it, and that's the elements of any story line anyway, man vs. man or man vs. nature, some problem to overcome, protagonist suffers horribly, changes, and overcomes in the end.

I think the Road is just a bunch of miserable, is it not?
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Next

Return to Book/Media Reviews