Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Good news for renewables

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

Good news for renewables

Unread postby dashster » Fri 16 Jan 2015, 21:11:56

Electricity rates are the highest ever. And they are going to retire more coal plants in the future.

I hope when they shutter coal plants that they have someone come in and dust once a month because I have a feeling they will need them in the future, because not only is our population going up by a couple million each year, but some think they have significantly over-estimated how much gas will come from fracking.
dashster
Lignite
Lignite

Re: Good news for renewables

Unread postby GHung » Sat 17 Jan 2015, 11:02:07

"I hope when they shutter coal plants that they have someone come in and dust once a month because I have a feeling they will need them in the future"...

Why? So that society isn't inconvenienced with a lower level of energy consumption? We've known that this was going to happen eventually if other arrangements weren't made, but found that transition too costly, short term, while deferring to big energy industries that wish to continue to foist their filthy 19th century energy sources on an increasingly less inhabitable world, allthewhile ignoring consequences. The time to pay the full costs of our collectively poor choices is coming one way or another. Adapt, or sit in the cold and dark; the results of our sense of entitlement to obscene and thoughtless levels of energy use.

Squander your food sources; go hungry. Squander your water sources; go thirsty. Squander your energy sources; freeze your asses off in the dark. Squander your environment; condemn all creatures to suffer in a thoroughly fouled nest. It's an old story which many choose to ignore until it's too late.
Blessed are the Meek, for they shall inherit nothing but their Souls. - Anonymous Ghung Person
GHung
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Re: Good news for renewables

Unread postby dashster » Sat 17 Jan 2015, 11:50:21

GHung wrote:"I hope when they shutter coal plants that they have someone come in and dust once a month because I have a feeling they will need them in the future"...

Why? So that society isn't inconvenienced with a lower level of energy consumption? We've known that this was going to happen eventually if other arrangements weren't made, but found that transition too costly, short term, while deferring to big energy industries that wish to continue to foist their filthy 19th century energy sources on an increasingly less inhabitable world, allthewhile ignoring consequences. The time to pay the full costs of our collectively poor choices is coming one way or another. Adapt, or sit in the cold and dark; the results of our sense of entitlement to obscene and thoughtless levels of energy use.

I don't get it. How are 315 million Americans supposed to adapt to not sitting in the cold and dark, if not buy burning coal instead of natural gas?
dashster
Lignite
Lignite

Running on renewables: how sure can we be about the future?

Unread postby AdamB » Fri 16 Mar 2018, 15:58:43

A variety of models predict the role renewables will play in 2050, but some may be over-optimistic, and should be used with caution, say researchers. The proportion of UK energy supplied by renewable energies is increasing every year; in 2017 wind, solar, biomass and hydroelectricity produced as much energy as was needed to power the whole of Britain in 1958. However, how much the proportion will rise by 2050 is an area of great debate. Now, researchers at Imperial College London have urged caution when basing future energy decisions on over-optimistic models that predict that the entire system could be run on renewables by the middle of this century. Mathematical models are used to provide future estimates by taking into account factors such as the development and adoption of new technologies to predict how much of our energy demand can be met by

Running on renewables: how sure can we be about the future?
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Return to Peak Oil Discussion