Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Global Economic Collapse is happening sooner than you think

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

Global Economic Collapse is happening sooner than you think

Unread postby DesuMaiden » Fri 24 Oct 2014, 04:47:49

According this video,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8j4Tyy5nsQ8

the world's economy will collapse in 2020. That's only 5 to 6 years away. This is because our oil production will decrease to an insufficient level to meet our current demand for oil. By 2027, our oil production will only be able to met 1/2 of the global demand for oil. This will cause a major economic depression and food storage around the world.

Get ready for the worst because it is happening soon.
History repeats itself. Just everytime with different characters and players.
DesuMaiden
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Re: Global Economic Collapse is happening sooner than you th

Unread postby Tanada » Fri 24 Oct 2014, 07:37:50

As one of the older crew who have been here since the mid Aughts five more years will be 15 years after I arrived. Soon in a geological sense, certainly, but long overdue if you argued the timing for the last decade ;-)
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Pops » Fri 24 Oct 2014, 08:27:30

If you notice, the datelines are all 3-5 years old. 2015 is a couple of months away and the production of oilish stuff is higher than when the vid was made. Things change and you have to keep up - I realize you are later to this party than some but my best advice is to look out for the pinch points rather than fretting over some apocalyptic collapse that will crush everything.

After reading this stuff for years, I'll say predicting the future is tough, but much tougher when one chooses to consume only a particular version of the present. That is the trick, keeping an open mind to whatever evidence presents and making your plans based on the best evidence rather than the best rationalization for your existing plan.

I'd like to say I have an open mind, probably a better description is that my mind wanders, LOL.

Not saying a global collapse is impossible, anything's possible, even contracting ebola from a doorknob in Bunker, Mo; but you need to play the odds.
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby GHung » Fri 24 Oct 2014, 09:21:50

I'm with Pops and Tanada; been beating this drum going on 20 years and have learned to not under-estimate the amount of shear inertia and faux-trust in 20th century systems, though I did under-estimate central banks' insane ability to extend and pretend.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-10-2 ... of-qe.html
Quantitative easing may turn out to be a gift that keeps on giving for the U.S. economy.
As the Federal Reserve prepares to end its third round of bond buying next week, the central bank plans to hang on to the record $4.48 trillion balance sheet it has accumulated since announcing the first round of purchases in November 2008.
That will continue to keep a lid on borrowing costs, helping the Fed lift inflation closer to its target and providing support to a five-year expansion facing headwinds abroad, from war in the Mideast to slowing growth in Europe and China...

Surely they know these unprecedentedly high levels of debt can never be paid off; that a giant reset is thoroughly baked in. Extend and pretend is how the future will define the early 21st century, when all global systems have been linked and leveraged to each other to a remarkable degree.

Just how far into overshoot our collective can push their relationship to the planet remains to be seen, but every year this paradigm continues will make the inevitable decline exponentially worse. The downside to industrial man's ascent gets steeper by the moment, as the pressure increases, all of our relief valves are beeing wired shut; consequences compounded and delayed, but certainly not avoided. Fossil fuels are the 'Ring of Power', and we are Gollum.

Greer mentioned in this week's post that -
One wrinkle many people miss is that we’re not waiting for the first of the three and a half rounds of crisis and recovery to hit; we’re waiting for the second. The first began in 1914 and ended around 1954, driven by the downfall of the British Empire and the collapse of European domination of the globe...

Whenever the next crisis becomes undeniable, it will be a great laugh/cry moment for me personally, if I'm around to see it, here from the cheap seats; how could some of us have been so right and all of us have been so wrong? Hopefully we haven't destroyed any chances for whomever or whatever remains,, to survive in the mess we've made.
Blessed are the Meek, for they shall inherit nothing but their Souls. - Anonymous Ghung Person
GHung
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby JuanP » Fri 24 Oct 2014, 11:22:41

Desu, we are already living in a world that gets worse every day. I hope you are right and we have five years. I see things unraveling scaringly fast right now. In the USA, in particular, the situation is hopeless because of the horrible government policies. And, it seems, that the US government has decided to drag the rest of the world down with them, unfortunately.
Live for today, man. The future sucks!
"Human stupidity has no limits" JuanP
JuanP
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby KingM » Fri 24 Oct 2014, 13:24:06

For the final collapse to happen "sooner than you think" for the PO crowd, it would have come to pass around 2006 or so.
KingM
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby MonteQuest » Fri 24 Oct 2014, 14:07:33

Desu,

The economics effects of peak oil happen well in advance of demand outstripping supply. The economy, as we have come to know it, collapsed when the oil price increased 300%. Only a unfathomable amount of debt, inflated assets, and creative book-keeping keeps this afloat. The tipping point for a global economic collapse may have little to do with actual production, but price and debt affecting GDP and economic oil production.
A Saudi saying, "My father rode a camel. I drive a car. My son flies a jet-plane. His son will ride a camel."
MonteQuest
Expert
Expert

Unread postby dolanbaker » Fri 24 Oct 2014, 14:15:45

Global collapse is very unlikely, simply down to the fact that far too many powerful individuals have a huge stake in it! That's not to say that from time to time sectors of the economy will "be left out to dry" like The European banking sector a decade ago, or Irish construction industry (which lost something like 80% of its staff).

The real impact is that we are already past "peak lifestyle" in the west, the fact that most of our consumer goods are made in China using cheap labour, hides this decline well.

The boom-bust cycle will continue on as usual, but with one difference, in future it is likely that the peak of each boom will be lower than the previous boom, previously it used to be higher.

Another thing to consider is that the inflation that used to "hide the debt", is almost non-existent due to the inability to raise interest rates for fear of killing the economy.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.:Anonymous
Our whole economy is based on planned obsolescence.
Hungrymoggy "I am now predicting that Europe will NUKE ITSELF sometime in the first week of January"
dolanbaker
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Deputy Barnes » Fri 24 Oct 2014, 18:34:08

Just one problem with this: The west's population is shrinking. It does not matter if the powerful want the economy to collapse or not when the demographics just aren't in their hands. People in their 50s and 60s are retiring, those in their 20s are not having hardly any kids anymore and those kids are not as interested in finance, science or engineering as their predecessors. Young males are sitting out the workforce and in nations like Japan they are increasingly retreating to their bedrooms to immerse themselves in video games, to escape the harsh, crushing reality of being a young male in the 1st world. China also has an aging problem. We are about to witness the greatest exodus of investors out of the market the world has ever seen. You had better believe the system is going to crash and burn to a crisp.

dolanbaker wrote:Global collapse is very unlikely, simply down to the fact that far too many powerful individuals have a huge stake in it! That's not to say that from time to time sectors of the economy will "be left out to dry" like The European banking sector a decade ago, or Irish construction industry (which lost something like 80% of its staff).

The real impact is that we are already past "peak lifestyle" in the west, the fact that most of our consumer goods are made in China using cheap labour, hides this decline well.

The boom-bust cycle will continue on as usual, but with one difference, in future it is likely that the peak of each boom will be lower than the previous boom, previously it used to be higher.

Another thing to consider is that the inflation that used to "hide the debt", is almost non-existent due to the inability to raise interest rates for fear of killing the economy.
"The most common lie is the lie that one tells to oneself" -- Friedrich Nietzsche

Vote Republican.
Deputy Barnes
Permanently Banned

Unread postby dolanbaker » Fri 24 Oct 2014, 18:58:28

The west's population is shrinking.

It is not shrinking at all, inward migration is more than making up for any reductions in "western" population.
Just look around some of the cities in England, and you'll think that you're in the Middle East!

Just did a google and was amazed to find this page in a search for "Bradford Market" http://www.chohakhalsa.com/uk.html

I think that it proves my point much more than I ever could.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.:Anonymous
Hungrymoggy "I am now predicting that Europe will NUKE ITSELF sometime in the first week of January"
dolanbaker
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Deputy Barnes » Fri 24 Oct 2014, 19:10:28

dolanbaker wrote:

It is not shrinking at all, inward migration is more than making up for any reductions in "western" population.
Just look around some of the cities in England, and you'll think that you're in the Middle East!

Just did a google and was amazed to find this page in a search for "Bradford Market" http://www.chohakhalsa.com/uk.html

The main problem being that none of these immigrants are interested in science, finance, engineering or any other thing that drives the wests economy. They are a growing permanent underclass; nothing more.
"The most common lie is the lie that one tells to oneself" -- Friedrich Nietzsche

Vote Republican.
Deputy Barnes
Permanently Banned

Unread postby dolanbaker » Fri 24 Oct 2014, 19:34:50

Deputy Barnes wrote:
dolanbaker wrote:

The main problem being that none of these immigrants are interested in science, finance, engineering or any other thing that drives the wests economy. They are a growing permanent underclass; nothing more.

Don't underestimate the Indian community, if you don't believe me, go into a Computer shop and check out the ethnic makeup of the staff.

Ignore the racial origin of the population and you'll find that the west's population is still growing rapidly. The underclass is mostly poorer uneducated people of all ethnic backgrounds.

In this part of the world we call them knackers!
dolanbaker
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby RepublicanfromEngland » Fri 24 Oct 2014, 20:01:49

There sure is another financial mess brewing up, not a complete collaspse, nah.
RepublicanfromEngland
Peat
Peat

Unread postby ralfy » Fri 24 Oct 2014, 22:46:27

If global economic collapse involves lack of basic needs due to lack of income, then many of the effects of such a collapse have been in place for years.
ralfy
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Shaved Monkey » Fri 24 Oct 2014, 23:24:04

What we are seeing is poorer people having to make a choice between heat or eat.
This extends to the middle class as cost of living pressures.
Energy poverty.
Ready to turn Zombies into WWOOFers
Shaved Monkey
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Quinny » Sat 25 Oct 2014, 04:17:31

Total BS!

Deputy Barnes wrote:
dolanbaker wrote:

Live, Love, Learn, Leave Legacy.....oh and have a Laugh while you're doing it!
Quinny
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Keith_McClary » Sat 25 Oct 2014, 14:29:40

Deputy Barnes wrote:The main problem being that none of these immigrants are interested in science, finance, engineering or any other thing that drives the wests economy. They are a growing permanent underclass; nothing more.

Facebook knows you're a dog.
Keith_McClary
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby DesuMaiden » Sat 25 Oct 2014, 23:57:23

Keith_McClary wrote:
Deputy Barnes wrote:The main problem being that none of these immigrants are interested in science, finance, engineering or any other thing that drives the wests economy. They are a growing permanent underclass; nothing more.

What difference does that make? They are still becoming a permanent underclass.
History repeats itself. Just everytime with different characters and players.
DesuMaiden
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Dybbuk » Sun 26 Oct 2014, 10:33:26

DesuMaiden wrote:According this video,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8j4Tyy5nsQ8

the world's economy will collapse in 2020. That's only 5 to 6 years away. This is because our oil production will decrease to an insufficient level to meet our current demand for oil. By 2027, our oil production will only be able to met 1/2 of the global demand for oil. This will cause a major economic depression and food storage around the world.

The language is being abused here. "Demand" isn't a single number; conceptually it's a line/curve that varies depending on price. If you're defining demand as "what people want to use", then supply never meets demand, because there are always things we could do with more oil if it were being produced. Maybe a more interesting question is when oil production will fail to provide for vital uses where there are no current substitutes. But of course, "vital" is sometimes in the eye of the beholder.
Dybbuk
Peat
Peat

Unread postby tom_s2 » Mon 27 Oct 2014, 14:48:01

Hi desumaiden,

Much of this peak oil/energy decline stuff is crackpot and wrong. Civilization is not collapsing, or at least not for those reasons. I don't think anyone who is an expert on transportation networks, fertilizer production, etc, believes that stuff.

The peak oil collapse movement has a long history of badly failed predictions, going back to 2004 or so. All those failed predictions means there's something wrong with it. There's no reason to expect their new predictions to be any more accurate than their old ones, because they haven't really modified their theories despite constant failed predictions.

Every once in awhile, I follow a collapse/doomsday group, out of curiosity. I've met people who've been preparing for IMMINENT doomsday, over and over again, year after year, for more than 30 years. I hope you don't become one of them. You're a young man, and you have a lot to lose.

If you really want to prepare for collapse/doomsday, then just hoard a year's worth of canned food and water in the closet where you live, and then forget about it, move on, and live your life.

Best wishes,
-Tom S
tom_s2
Peat
Peat

Next

Return to Peak Oil Discussion