Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Germanys Flagship "Volkswagen" sink by own torpedo!

For discussions of events and conditions not necessarily related to Peak Oil.

Germanys Flagship "Volkswagen" sink by own torpedo!

Unread postby M_B_S » Tue 22 Sep 2015, 05:33:59

M_B_S
Fission
Fission

Re: Germanys Flagship "Volkswagen" sink by own torpedo!

Unread postby M_B_S » Wed 23 Sep 2015, 07:23:27

M_B_S
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Newfie » Wed 23 Sep 2015, 14:07:08

Thanks for the post.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby M_B_S » Wed 23 Sep 2015, 14:11:32

Thank You Captain America

:-D

VW Captain "Al Capone" Winterkorn is history !

M_B_S
M_B_S
Fission
Fission

Unread postby GASMON » Wed 23 Sep 2015, 15:25:47

Gas
The truth is sometimes incorrect
GASMON
Fission
Fission

Unread postby pstarr » Wed 23 Sep 2015, 17:59:21

If I were a fool and played this market I'd be all in, every bit, on VW stock. Sales have not flagged in Germany and Europe, the volks don't really much care about the emissions issue, and the Germans will find some excuse for not punishing the company. The the rest of the EU and finally the US will also find an "amicable" solution. VW gets a slap on the wrist and the diesel VW continues to sell like hot wursts lol
Haven't you heard? I'm a doomer!
pstarr
NeoMaster
NeoMaster

Unread postby M_B_S » Thu 24 Sep 2015, 06:20:54

pstarr

Not a good idea its an "iceberg"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/news ... -live.html

11:35 CET
German government says exhaust cheat extends to European cars
Good morning and welcome to our coverage of the diesel-emissions scandal engulfing the car industry.

M_B_S

IQ Monster:

M_B_S
Fission
Fission

Unread postby GASMON » Thu 24 Sep 2015, 06:52:45

BMW dragged into it now.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/news ... -live.html

Shares an Peugeot Citroen, French car manufacturer falling this morning. They make millions of Diesel engine cars.

I wonder about Ford. They have two engine building plants in the UK, both petrol and diesel engines.

Gas
GASMON
Fission
Fission

Unread postby M_B_S » Mon 28 Sep 2015, 12:05:32

@ Gas

One picture tells more than 1000 words...

"Volkswagen" shares <100

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-34377443
M_B_S
Fission
Fission

Unread postby ritter » Mon 28 Sep 2015, 17:17:28

This bites. I have a TDI wagon. I love(d) the car. I'm looking into replacements now if I can get out of my lease. But man, there are so few viable options that get decent mileage, hybrids included. Unfortunately, I need one car that is capable of more than 100 miles at a time and able to haul a family (family is all over the state) so pure electric is out. Plugin hybrids are a potential option but Christ they're expensive. I'd finally found a good solution that was the TDI. Now, I don't know.... :(
ritter
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby pstarr » Mon 28 Sep 2015, 17:37:47

I don't get it ritter. Why the despondency? You own the car right, and no one will take it away now. The only difference is your green credibility.
pstarr
NeoMaster
NeoMaster

Unread postby dissident » Mon 28 Sep 2015, 19:03:00

ritter wrote:This bites. I have a TDI wagon. I love(d) the car. I'm looking into replacements now if I can get out of my lease. But man, there are so few viable options that get decent mileage, hybrids included. Unfortunately, I need one car that is capable of more than 100 miles at a time and able to haul a family (family is all over the state) so pure electric is out. Plugin hybrids are a potential option but Christ they're expensive. I'd finally found a good solution that was the TDI. Now, I don't know.... :(

Read my other post. You are being hoodwinked by the EPA and assorted hysterical nutjobs. A 2001 Skoda 1.9 TDI made by VW comes in at under 10 g(NOx) per kg fuel for normal driving conditions. The "clean" 2015 gasoline cars produce about 5 g(NOx)/kg. Commercial trucks spew 40 g(NOx)/kg.

All the VW hater clowns forget about the effect of fuel efficiency. A 50 mpg diesel is better than a 30 mpg gasoline car any day of the week. There are plenty of other sources of NOx that completely eclipse VW and its cheat. It was EPA's fault for being a collection of zealots and pressuring VW to have similar NOx emissions to gasoline engine cars. Some variables can't be tuned by technology. And at the end of the day mpg matters.
dissident
Expert
Expert

Unread postby ritter » Tue 29 Sep 2015, 12:07:16

dissident wrote:
ritter wrote:This bites. I have a TDI wagon. I love(d) the car. I'm looking into replacements now if I can get out of my lease. But man, there are so few viable options that get decent mileage, hybrids included. Unfortunately, I need one car that is capable of more than 100 miles at a time and able to haul a family (family is all over the state) so pure electric is out. Plugin hybrids are a potential option but Christ they're expensive. I'd finally found a good solution that was the TDI. Now, I don't know.... :(

Read my other post. You are being hoodwinked by the EPA and assorted hysterical nutjobs. A 2001 Skoda 1.9 TDI made by VW comes in at under 10 g(NOx) per kg fuel for normal driving conditions. The "clean" 2015 gasoline cars produce about 5 g(NOx)/kg. Commercial trucks spew 40 g(NOx)/kg.

All the VW hater clowns forget about the effect of fuel efficiency. A 50 mpg diesel is better than a 30 mpg gasoline car any day of the week. There are plenty of other sources of NOx that completely eclipse VW and its cheat. It was EPA's fault for being a collection of zealots and pressuring VW to have similar NOx emissions to gasoline engine cars. Some variables can't be tuned by technology. And at the end of the day mpg matters.

Yes, of course mpg matters. The less I burn, the better. NOX also matters. Reports I've seen indicate that the 2.0 TDI in my car emits up to 40 times the regulated levels. Even if I'm getting an average of 40 mpg vs. 30 mpg, that's way too high on the NOX. Stop comparing to commercial trucks unless you want to bring in the relevance of tanker ships as well--I'm almost as likely to drive one of those. Time to get my ass back on my bike. :)

@ pstarr [smilie=thebirdman.gif] :-D
ritter
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby M_B_S » Wed 04 Nov 2015, 07:18:24

VW shares tank on emissions scandal
Shares in Volkswagen tanked on Wednesday, a day after the embattled carmaker admitted to understating the amount of carbon dioxide emitted by some of its vehicles. The news also dragged down the bluechip DAX index.

http://www.dw.com/en/vw-shares-tank-on- ... a-18825262

http://news.stanford.edu/news/2012/nove ... 11612.html

Think like an engineer
An engineering risk analyst thinks in terms of systems, their functional components and their dependencies, Paté-Cornell said. For instance, in many plants that require cooling, generators, turbines, water pumps, safety valves and more all contribute to making the system work. Therefore, the analyst must first understand the ways in which the system works as a whole in order to identify how it could fail. The same method applies to medical, financial or ecological systems. :idea:
M_B_S
Fission
Fission

Unread postby GASMON » Wed 04 Nov 2015, 11:43:13

interesting developments

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/news ... dates.html

It gets worse !!!

VW scandal deepens as VW admits 8 million parking sensors were really kittens tied to fenders.

New VW catchphrase - Rückwärts durch Betrug (Backward through fraud)

Gas
GASMON
Fission
Fission

Unread postby pstarr » Wed 04 Nov 2015, 11:57:08

" all car manufacturers "have been gilding the lily" over their CO2 figures."
And some will just chrome that lily (that's one butt-ugly Prius pickup conversion)
pstarr
NeoMaster
NeoMaster

Unread postby GASMON » Wed 04 Nov 2015, 12:03:48

Probably the wrong thread, but everyone lies these days regarding CO2

China Has Been Spewing Out Much More CO2 Than Previously Reported China has emitted roughly a billion more tons of carbon emissions a year over the past 15 years than it previously said, according to a report from The New York Times.

The outlet analysed energy statistics data from China's statistical agency and found the Asian country has been burning up to 17 per cent more coal than the government has disclosed. That figure translates into the entire fossil fuel emissions of Germany over a full year.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/chi ... section=uk

Gas
GASMON
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Keith_McClary » Wed 04 Nov 2015, 14:30:26

98,000 Volkswagen petrol vehicles were affected by the company's CO2 emissions- cheating scheme.

VW could face billions in car tax repayments over latest CO2 scandal
Volkswagen could have to pay back billions of pounds to European governments in tax credits after admitting it had found “irregularities” in the levels of carbon dioxide emitted by 800,000 of its cars.
Analysts said these costs were likely to relate to repaying tax credits in Europe. Germany, Britain and other countries set car vehicle tax rates based on CO2 emissions, suggesting VW and its drivers may have benefited from unduly low tax rates.

Stuart Pearson, analyst at stockbroker BNP Paribas Exane, said: “This [the cost] is equivalent to circa €2,500 per vehicle, and likely covers the cost of repaying tax credits or similar that vehicles earned due to lower CO2 test statistics than should have been awarded.

“It is not yet clear whether VW’s €2bn estimate covers any customer compensation or residual value impact, but we believe this is not included given it was also not a part of the €6.7bn provision booked for the original nitrogen oxide emissions issues.”

Pearson added that VW would probably not be forced to recall and fix vehicles because there is no blanket CO2 limit per car, unlike with NOx.

Pearson added that governments would be able to claim money back from VW without affecting motorists. “VW will likely need to repay CO2-related tax breaks etc to various national governments that its vehicles artificially ‘earned’. This gives governments a simple mechanism by which to ‘fine’ VW, without penalising the customer.”
"I could go on, but let’s veer off in another direction instead."

– The Archdruid
Keith_McClary
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Keith_McClary » Fri 06 Nov 2015, 20:01:14

November 6, 2015 12:01 am
Institutional investors call for on-the-road CO2 tests
The group of investors — including BlackRock — the world’s biggest fund manager and a leading VW shareholder — wants to overturn an outmoded system of laboratory analysis that critics claim allows manufacturers to achieve artificially enhanced results.
“Some investors have lost significant investment value,” said Stephanie Pfeifer, chief executive of the IIGCC, in an open letter to the EU policymakers. “Trust in emissions data urgently needs to be restored so that investors can be sure that official data is reliable.”
The fund managers — including Deutsche Asset and Wealth Management, Aberdeen Asset Management, Janus Capital and Amundi — said “robust” testing of a vehicle’s emissions was critically important so investors could be sure monitoring was reliable and “allocate capital to those entities that are best placed to deliver enduring value to shareholders”.
"I could go on, but let’s veer off in another direction instead."

– The Archdruid
Keith_McClary
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby dissident » Fri 06 Nov 2015, 22:40:08

God this is so transcendentally retarded. You can dick around with NOx emissions but you cannot possibly reduce CO2 emissions per kg of fuel burned. It's conservation of mass and energy. Clearly the EPA and the other zealots know basically f*ck all about physics. The best you can hope for is a high efficiency burn to get more kinetic energy out of each kg of fuel. That will actually increase the CO2 emitted per kg since there are less VOCs and CO being emitted. If the EPA actually cares about pollution then it would want VOCs and CO emissions to be reduced. This automatically translates into higher CO2 emissions.
dissident
Expert
Expert

Next

Return to Geopolitics & Global Economics