Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Forks Over Knives

A forum to either submit your own review of a book, video or audio interview, or to post reviews by others.

Re: Forks Over Knives

Unread postby PrestonSturges » Wed 14 Mar 2012, 05:05:18

careinke wrote:
Pops wrote:. Even today most of the weight on most beef cattle comes from grass, sure, some are grown on feedlots from weaning but most are grown on grass and finished on grain. I have 600# of beef in the freezer that only saw grain as a treat. He is almost as tender as grain fed because I let him hang an extra few days, the taste isn't quite as good but not bad for 58¢ a pound.

Sweet, did you butcher it yourself? How hard was it? I butchered my own pigs for the first time last year. I will never send my animals off to the butcher again. Saved a lot of money and somehow got more meat. :wink:

I'm thinking of doing a cow, (for meat not milk), this year. I would "pasture" it in my woods.
When you have a butcher cut and wrap a big deer, sometimes the "shrinkage" is about 40% and the good cuts disappear almost entirely.
PrestonSturges
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Pretorian » Wed 14 Mar 2012, 10:04:13

you can always ask a butcher how much does it cost to dress the cadaver without stealing anything.
Pretorian
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Serial_Worrier » Wed 14 Mar 2012, 12:12:57

If God meant us to eat vegetables, why did he make bacon so tasty? Gimme some more of that slab of hickory smoked bacon!
Serial_Worrier
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby WildRose » Wed 14 Mar 2012, 22:39:21

Serial_Worrier wrote:If God meant us to eat vegetables, why did he make bacon so tasty? Gimme some more of that slab of hickory smoked bacon!

Meats have a lot of aroma while they're cooking, more than most other things, except for yummy baked breads and cookies and pies, perhaps. But I don't like the taste of meats as much as veggies and fruits and yummy baked things.
WildRose
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Thu 15 Mar 2012, 09:08:41

PrestonSturges wrote:=[I'm thinking of doing a cow, (for meat not milk), this year. I would "pasture" it in my woods.
When you have a butcher cut and wrap a big deer, sometimes the "shrinkage" is about 40% and the good cuts disappear almost entirely.[/quote]

You need an honest butcher and there are plenty of them. There is shrinkage of course, you want all the major bones cut out and discarded. That can be twenty percent of the weight it had hanging in the halves. Also a butcher will not waste an hours labor trimming the last little bits off each bone using $30 dollars labor to retain $10 worth of meat. If you do it yourself you can pick the bones snowy white and cheat the dog of a good chew.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Serial_Worrier » Thu 15 Mar 2012, 15:09:43

vtsnowedin wrote:If you do it yourself you can pick the bones snowy white and cheat the dog of a good chew.

It's evil the notion of depriving a dog it's bone. :( :( :(
Serial_Worrier
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Previous

Return to Book/Media Reviews