Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Environment Forum's Agent in South Florida

Environment Forum's Agent in South Florida

Unread postby joewp » Mon 19 Oct 2015, 19:40:47

Hi all.

As some of you might recall, I've been threatening to move to Florida recently (some irl can recall this for 4 or 5 decades now, lol. It's been a lifelong quest).

Well, I did it! I'm living in Delray Beach and it's effing beautiful. Among my reasons for moving are:
1) The Obvious (it's 77 and cloudy as I write this right before MNF, that's within normal, maybe even a little coolish)
2) Got sick of finding out that Newfie had beaten me to Philly weird weather updates.
3) Hurricane updates
4) Hey, we need someone who can report when salt water is coming up through the coral that is the excuse for bedrock around here due to SLR, right?
5) If it's true that south Florida is going under the sea :( , I had to live here while I still can.

Don't worry, I'm not foolish enough to buy land that could well be underwater in my lifetime. I'm renting (actually in this economic system, buying a house anywhere is kind of foolish, and you're actually still renting from the local tax authority anyway, and when my heater goes blooey, I just call the landlord ;)).

So the next time a hurricane hits the area (if ever, perhaps we're in a permanent El Nino?) I'll do the Jim Cantore thing and stand in the wind and rain for youse all to see.
Joe P. joeparente.com
"Only when the last tree is cut; only when the last river is polluted; only when the last fish is caught; only then will they realize that you cannot eat money." - Cree Indian Proverb
joewp
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Re: Environment Forum's Agent in South Florida

Unread postby dinopello » Mon 19 Oct 2015, 20:06:19

I was TDY in Melbourne, FL for 2 months and it was OK and I've been to several other places in FL but the place I thought was the best was Delray Beach. Well, Key West was pretty cool too, but we had some really good times at the bars in Delray watching live music.
dinopello
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby dohboi » Mon 19 Oct 2015, 20:43:02

It's a tough job being in perfect weather all the time, but I guess somebody has to do it! :lol: :lol:

I would be particularly interested in reports of what locals are saying and feeling. What gets into the local news? etc...

And when the saltwaters start liking at your toes, you can always come stay with us up here in chilly MN! :-D
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby jedrider » Mon 19 Oct 2015, 21:38:52

Might as well enjoy it while you can. Good luck there.

I have to really do my visit to Miami. If you can recommend one trip from Miami to see something spectacular, what would it be? Thanks.
jedrider
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby joewp » Fri 23 Oct 2015, 21:30:29

dinopello wrote:I was TDY in Melbourne, FL for 2 months and it was OK and I've been to several other places in FL but the place I thought was the best was Delray Beach. Well, Key West was pretty cool too, but we had some really good times at the bars in Delray watching live music.

Oh I like Key West too, but less php programming jobs there!

Yep, Like Johnnie Brown's the place next to the RR tracks basically half open air(actually a former gas station), with people dancing in the streets outside? :)

If you're ever back in the area and hanging out, send me a pm!
Joe P. joeparente.com
"Only when the last tree is cut; only when the last river is polluted; only when the last fish is caught; only then will they realize that you cannot eat money." - Cree Indian Proverb
joewp
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby joewp » Fri 23 Oct 2015, 21:38:52

dohboi wrote:It's a tough job being in perfect weather all the time, but I guess somebody has to do it! :lol: :lol:

I would be particularly interested in reports of what locals are saying and feeling. What gets into the local news? etc...

And when the saltwaters start liking at your toes, you can always come stay with us up here in chilly MN! :-D

Well, they say when you enjoy you're job it's not really work, right? :lol:

Actually, so far what I've heard in chatting with a few people is that they're kind of resigned to eventually having to move, but it's too many years ahead to think about. Hell, that's my attitude. Enjoy it while you can, right?
So far on the limited local news I've seen, they seen to treat AGW as real and eventually affecting the area, but again it's in the hazy future.

db, I happen to like salt water licking my toes, why would I move? 8)
Joe P. joeparente.com
joewp
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby joewp » Fri 23 Oct 2015, 21:40:10

jedrider wrote:Might as well enjoy it while you can. Good luck there.

I have to really do my visit to Miami. If you can recommend one trip from Miami to see something spectacular, what would it be? Thanks.

IMHO, swim with dolphins.
Joe P. joeparente.com
joewp
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby joewp » Fri 23 Oct 2015, 21:51:23

pstarr wrote:Joewp, what I remember about that area was the Jupiter was the northernmost limit to coral formation in the US. Have you snorkeled or dove yet?

Nope, moving and starting a new job have taken up a lot of time. I do have a nice snorkel set (with fins) and I've checked out some good sites. Oh, and the water's about 84F. So real soon!
Joe P. joeparente.com
joewp
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate