Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Enough is Enough: How and Why to End Growth

Re: Enough is Enough: How and Why to End Growth

Unread postby dohboi » Wed 04 Jan 2017, 19:16:34

KJ posts irrelevant graphs, then asks for data THAT WAS JUST GIVEN TO HIM, if he had bothered to read EVEN THE FIRST COUPLE SENTENCES of the article linked by ol.

...we documented 185 killings across 16 countries – by far the highest annual death toll on record and more than double the number of journalists killed in the same period.

I'm really thinking it's not worth bothering with most of the posters here anymore--when someone is that willfully ignorant, is there really any purpose in trying to enlighten them?

As the saying goes: "It's hard to wake someone up who is only pretending to be asleep."
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby onlooker » Wed 04 Jan 2017, 19:28:22

Mission

Many of the world’s worst environmental and human rights abuses are driven by the exploitation of natural resources and corruption in the global political and economic system. Global Witness is campaigning to end this. We carry out hard-hitting investigations, expose these abuses, and campaign for change. We are independent, not-for-profit, and work with partners around the world in our fight for justice.

That is a summary of who this group is. But of course some prefer to believe the main stream media and official sources. Even when by now surely anybody paying attention must know the degree of corruption of corporations and governments and by extension their media outlets. So I am not apt to believe what they say and prefer some organization that is not for profit and independent. Oh and yes Dohboi I have come to realize that many on this site have fixed positions.
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Wed 04 Jan 2017, 23:09:02

I note there is still no data to back up their claims. They say they have data, but don't give you a link to the incidents they "documented". But you two infants swallowed the hook, line, and sinker.
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Resistance is Futile, YOU will be Assimilated.

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby ralfy » Thu 05 Jan 2017, 09:02:31

Global ecological footprint per capita has to be kept below 2 global hectares:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_c ... _footprint

That's assuming that there will be no further environmental damage and effects from global warming as well as population increase.
ralfy
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Subjectivist » Thu 05 Jan 2017, 10:57:37

onlooker wrote:
Mission

Many of the world’s worst environmental and human rights abuses are driven by the exploitation of natural resources and corruption in the global political and economic system. Global Witness is campaigning to end this. We carry out hard-hitting investigations, expose these abuses, and campaign for change. We are independent, not-for-profit, and work with partners around the world in our fight for justice.

That is a summary of who this group is. But of course some prefer to believe the main stream media and official sources. Even when by now surely anybody paying attention must know the degree of corruption of corporations and governments and by extension their media outlets. So I am not apt to believe what they say and prefer some organization that is not for profit and independent. Oh and yes Dohboi I have come to realize that many on this site have fixed positions.

Onlooker think about it for a minute. You are taking the "mission statement" of a pollitically motivated group at face value because you like what it says. That is a trap many fall into, but you shouldn't seriosly confuse what an organization does with what it has as its stated goal.
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby onlooker » Thu 05 Jan 2017, 11:26:48

Sub, I have not looked at this group beyond this Mission statement. Yes I take at face value their statement that they are independent and not for profit as it would be easy enough to discover if this were not true. Having done so they fit the criteria which I believe affords me a more honest and realistic version of events or issues. Again how can still still some vouch for the credibility of official sources? Because at some level they trust them, no different than what I am doing
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby dohboi » Thu 05 Jan 2017, 19:04:38

And KJ just keep coming with the lies. Data is data. They presented it.

But yes, they also did, of course, present a link to the full study. It's toward the bottom of the article.

But we know what he's doing. He's going to set up an impossibly high bar for any date that disagrees with his prejudices, all the while swallowing whole obvious lies of the the most obvious schysters imaginable.

Really...more to be pitied than blamed...
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Thu 05 Jan 2017, 19:50:42

doughboy, consider how bleak your existence would be without your hatred for other PO.com members. Now answer the question, who deserves pity more than you?

KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby dohboi » Sat 07 Jan 2017, 14:41:18

Caught repeatedly lying, kj can only resort to mere adhoms, the clearest proof that he in fact has no better argument available to him.
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby M_B_S » Tue 17 Jan 2017, 04:35:18

The so called "Elite" in Davos did not get the message @ all

>410ppm Co2 in 2017 is the proof of total fail

This is not "our Elite" they are destroyers of mother earth.

Thats the brutal truth.

PEAK OIL!

M_B_S
M_B_S
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Tue 17 Jan 2017, 09:21:28

How about some kind of reference. What are you going on about?
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby M_B_S » Tue 17 Jan 2017, 10:28:45

Newfie wrote:How about some kind of reference. What are you going on about?

https://www.americanprogress.org/issues ... -business/

As the world’s top entrepreneurs and politicians prepare to convene in Davos, the incoming administration must make a critical decision: whether it will continue U.S. leadership to combat climate change and implement the Paris Agreement, positioning the country as a clean energy superpower—or whether it will weaken the U.S.-Paris pact commitment and let the United States fall behind on clean energy innovation and market share while fixating on burning fossil fuels that increase climate change threats to businesses and people around the globe. If the incoming Trump administration is committed to supporting economic growth and job creation while protecting public health and the prosperity of future generations, the choice is clear.

Trump is good for peace with Russia but we must declare peace with mother earth because we will loose any war against
her.
:idea: :!:

M_B_S
M_B_S
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Wed 18 Jan 2017, 14:20:02

I know you all desperately want to hate somebody. I know that self-hatred is the most satisfying of all hatreds, so one of your favorite targets is the USA. However, you need to be honest with yourselves. Let us speculate for a moment that the USA makes an all-out effort to eliminate the burning of fossil fuels for energy, and in some incredibly short time such as 10 years, does so. What would be the result?

1) The 20% of the world's petroleum that the US consumes would be bought and burned by somebody else, very probably in a set of ICE vehicles that are less efficient and much dirtier than the current generation of US computer-managed, catalyzed, relatively clean ICE vehicles. The carbon dioxide, carbon monoxide, and hydrocarbons in our atmosphere would thus INCREASE.

2) The coal we don't burn will be exported and burned in power plants that are a lot dirtier than ours. Just as we today export the "dirtiest" coal that we dig here, because it's too expensive to "scrub" the stack emissions to meet US EPA air quality standards. So we export it where it is burned by other people without any air quality standards whatsoever.

Admit it, no single country or group of countries can solve fossil fuel emissions. The whole world could do so collectively, if we had the will. But what would represent an economic slump and serious inconvenience in the developed nations, would result in the deliberate starvation of about 6 billion people in the 3rd World:
These children may not speak your language, or have the same skin color as yours, but they have an equal right to life. Your insistence that we cease using petroleum fuels means that at least 6y billion would die, and the rest of the humans - even in the USA - would be occupied with finding food most of the time.

It's never gonna happen. It should never happen. It may be unavoidable when we run out of fossil fuels, but there exists a slim chance that before that happens we can either find alternate sources of energy, or move into space where we avoid the savagery of the end of oil on the Earth.

KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Wed 18 Jan 2017, 18:39:44

They are gonna die anyway KJ. Over populated and the oil will run out sooner or later.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Newfie » Wed 18 Jan 2017, 18:46:17

M.B.S.
I've found the WED Global Risk Reports pretty well done, at least relative to what we hear from our government.

Below is a link to 2016. 2017 should be out soon.

https://www.weforum.org/reports/the-glo ... eport-2016

Ah ha, found it.

http://reports.weforum.org/global-risks-2017/
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Wed 18 Jan 2017, 22:56:01

Newfie wrote:They are gonna die anyway KJ. Over populated and the oil will run out sooner or later.

Technology may yet save us. It may be long odds, but it is possible. I can't write them off, they are human beings.

KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby dohboi » Thu 19 Jan 2017, 00:53:48

"it is possible"

No

It's

just

not
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby M_B_S » Thu 19 Jan 2017, 03:36:12

Newfie wrote:M.B.S.
I've found the WED Global Risk Reports pretty well done, at least relative to what we hear from our government.

Below is a link to 2016. 2017 should be out soon.

https://www.weforum.org/reports/the-glo ... eport-2016

Ah ha, found it.

http://reports.weforum.org/global-risks-2017/

Thanks for that but this Forum is better..... OR NOT? :idea: :!:
http://www.wsj.com/articles/chinas-oil- ... 1484650810
PEAK OIL

M_B_S
M_B_S
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby M_B_S » Tue 31 Jan 2017, 05:58:37

Contra Position

https://guardian.ng/opinion/no-economic ... democracy/

No economic growth, no democracy
By Fancis E. Ogbimi | 31 January 2017 | 3:05 am

All Western nations achieve industrialisation long before democracy. They all experienced bloody revolutions because economic growth was very slow. This article is written to explain why economic development precedes political development and what Nigeria must do to achieve rapid industrialisation and democratisation....

There is allways a limit on an endless basis.

=> Growing to total doom.

M_B_S
M_B_S
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Tue 31 Jan 2017, 09:55:40

Pretty fair article MBS.

But one then wonders, what happens to democracies when growth stall or you a reversal? Is it perhaps what we are now seeing (the faint beginnings of) in the Western World?
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate