Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Energy Conservation — Key Methods

How to save energy through both societal and individual actions.

Re: Energy Conservation — Key Methods

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Tue 20 Dec 2016, 17:43:01

KaiserJeep wrote:I have thought a lot about this. Electric heat in the form of a ground source heat pump plus a personal power plant and batteries will heat/cool an off-grid superinsulated home. No carbon fuels of any kind required, other than during the energy-intensive construction and fabrication of the heat pump and power plant components. Buy those from the solar-powered Tesla Gigafactory if you can. Buy them and build that superinsulated home NOW before the recent Peak Oil makes it unaffordable.

pstarr wrote:What happens in your high-tech castle when the lithium batteries pop, sizzle, and die? Somebody help me here: How long does the Powerwall last as the exclusive power supply for a modern home (heating, hot water, light, cooking). Where does the new battery pack come from?

You may believe in the end of technology and civilization, accompanied by zombie hoards, but I do not. The Tesla Powerwall monitors each individual cell out of the thousands in the battery, charges each cell optimally, and spares them out when needed. Tesla is gonna make it and lithium batteries are recyclable and do not need any rare materials. Solar PV does use rare earths, but failure rates are very low.
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Resistance is Futile, YOU will be Assimilated.

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Wed 21 Dec 2016, 05:50:55

You are confusing Kunstler's fiction (the "World Made By Hand" series) with his non-fiction (The Long Emergency). I read one novel, and was unconvinced. I give more credence to "The Long Emergency" because you can see the evidence around you.
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Resistance is Futile, YOU will be Assimilated.

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby springcody » Sat 25 Feb 2017, 00:40:31

Hi Graeme,

I was actually thinking the same thing that it made me laugh as I opened this entry. I already looked a couple of things up, and I found that one of the best ways we can conserve energy is by getting a smart meter upgrade. Don''t worry it's free. Just contact your electricity provider.
springcody
Wood
Wood

Previous

Return to Conservation & Efficiency