Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Dr. David Evans and his Notch-Delay Solar Theory

Re: Dr. David Evans and his Notch-Delay Solar Theory

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Wed 18 Nov 2015, 16:56:55

Simon_R wrote:Kaiser Jeep

Using a model to smooth and extend a curve will work (and may even predict and backcast successfully), but
until you can replicate this with a bottom up model, you will get the derision of the scientific community. A model like this, can only be the starting point, so it can be replicated by a bottom up approach, then it is useful, both as a predictive tool, and gives us the ability to vary individual components and see how the model performs/predict different outcomes.

AFAIK in science it is not enough to know that a thing occurs, you must know why. Interestingly this was the basis of the witch trials of the middle ages.

Simon

The very success of the OFT tool indicates that the global climate "system" is way too complex - possibly two orders of magnitude too complex - to model "bottoms up". At least, that is the lesson learned by 150+ years of Fourier Analysis and several hundred years of experience with what used to be called "harmonic analysis" all the way back to the Greeks who first described the phenomenon when analyzing water waves and in early astronomy.

Simon, I know you mean well, but the actual problem with Evans' work is not the methodology or the math itself - those are absolutely solid and verifiable by anyone who will take the time to play with the figures. The real problems are twofold. Firstly, to admit that the FA-based math works is tantamount to admitting that "bottoms up" modelling never will work - not at least until we have computers that can handle complex matrix computations with (off-the cuff estimate) about 14 virtual dimensions and several thousand variables. Take it from me, even the most powerful computer my former employer built:
....is still way too slow do do that. This giant scientific processor is still in application development at the US Government's NREL (National Renewable Energy Laboratory) where it will eventually be providing simulations of various implementations of the intelligent electrical grid.

If you had a million of these systems networked, I still think you are way short of the computing power needed for a "grounds up" climate model.

Secondly, Evans has committed an unforgivable sin: his very accurate and working climate model shows that the "carbon forcing effect" that dominates all existing climate models is pure hokum. Evans' model says carbon dioxide has about 10% of the impact ascribed to it by the existing models, and that increased amounts of water vapor in the upper atmosphere will reduce the TSI - and the heat absorbed versus reflected back into space.

The implication being we can continue to burn FF's and not cook the planet. That's the real problem - and the reaction of the scientific community to this heretical concept is akin to the Roman Catholic Inquisition - as in "How DARE this man question the climate orthodoxy...".

"Science" with a capital letter is after all, the new religious orthodoxy. The modern day priests wear lab coats and jealously guard the "scientific journals" where the gospels are published, from those heretical souls who would question the pre-determined conclusions of the "ninety-seven-percenters". No articles questioning climate politics can now be published, nor do many researchers even attempt to do so, because their R&D grant money would be jeopardized if they published an unorthodox (or IOW "non-PC") conclusion.

Evans has also in the past been employed by researchers to elaborate upon their conventional climate models. The "ninety-seven-percenters" who question his math would also be casting doubts upon his contributions to their models. This is probably what drove him to create a climate model of his own.

Well, look for increasing numbers of the "ninety-seven-percenters" to defect beginning in 2017, and by 2030, only the boneheads will be left in the "97%", which should by then be about 15%, and possibly below 10%.

Time will tell - but there will still be boneheads here at PO.com, arguing for the orthodoxy of climate doom.
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Resistance is Futile, YOU will be Assimilated.

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Tanada » Wed 18 Nov 2015, 17:44:02

So I looked around for interviews by KJ's scientist and what did I find? Well the quote below for an example.

Dr. Evans wrote:“Yes, CO2 has an effect, but it’s about a fifth or tenth of what the IPCC says it is. CO2 is not driving the climate; it caused less than 20 per cent of the global warming in the last few decades”.

Dr Evans says his discovery “ought to change the world”.

http://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/nb/tom ... d90LH.dpuf

Now while I never finished my Uni degree in mathematics I did learn a few things in school. For example the difference between a fifth and a tenth is a 100 percent difference in effect. IOW if I take a tenth of your check in taxes one week and a Fifth of your check the next week you would find the change in taxes very clear and obvious. To use such sloppy speech when speaking of a mathematical finding is unconscionable, let alone very confusing for the lay audience.

There is also another important factor to consider. Dr. Evans stated that CO2 had only a 20 percent or less impact on global temperatures, implying that the professional climatologists consider only CO2 in their models. This is about as false of a statement as is possible because they factor in albedo changes, snow and ice decline as heat sinks, snow and ice decline as albedo changes, cloud density effects, increases in the humidity potential of clear warm air causing a water vapor greenhouse feedback and on and on and on. IOW CO2 is only one of many factors used in climate models including also other greenhouse gasses like Methane and Nitrous Oxides that occlude different portions of the IR spectrum than CO2 meaning they are an additive factor, not a co-factor.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Wed 18 Nov 2015, 18:03:59

KaiserJeep wrote:What I am is unaligned politically....

HA!! I almost fell out of my chair laughing. Very funny KJ, tell us another one.

Refusing to buy your nonsense is not like the Spanish inquisition. If we broke your bones on the rack, then burned you at the stake, then you can compare it to the Spanish Inquisition.

Right now, all people are doing is calling a moron a moron. And rightfully so.
"For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst and provide for it." - Patrick Henry

The level of injustice and wrong you endure is directly determined by how much you quietly submit to. Even to the point of extinction.
Cid_Yama
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Wed 18 Nov 2015, 18:16:03

Tanada, without disputing anything you said, the basic thing you seem to be missing is that Evans is NOT A CLIMATE SCIENTIST. In fact - and this is no secret, it is simply difficult for anyone steeped in orthodox "climate science" to grasp - Evans actually has no idea what many of the dominant periodic trigonometric functions that sum up into the final temperature actually represent.

That too, is no secret. The one periodic and obviously dominant sinusoidal function (sunspots) is actually of variable periodicity - meaning it is a sum of three or more sinusoids of like magnitude but different periodicity - which even after 165 years of recorded observations of sunspots, is not that well understood, we have even less accurate models of the Sun's "climate" than the Earth's. But even though this component of the model is the same as the sunspot cycle - with three significant digits of precision - whether or not it is actually sunspots, or whether sunspots is a good way to derive TSI - are still being questioned by the "ninety-seven-percenters".

None of this makes the slightest difference to me, a (now retired) practicing engineer - we are used to approximating things and modelling complex systems using the math created by the ancient Greeks and much elaborated upon by Fourier - even when we have no solid grasp of what it is that some of those constituent parts represent. It is enough for us that the math works and can be used to accurately predict the future behavior of a complex system.

The real problem of course, is that Evans has found that there is a negative feedback mechanism that is moderating the carbon forcing to a fraction of the presently accepted value. If his results had confirmed the prevailing opinions and confirmed that FF combustion equals DOOM DOOM DOOM, then he would be the honored speaker at the next IPCC conference, enjoying the accolades due to the first actual working climate model.

But that is just not the case, is it? Fortunately for all of us, in less than a decade, we will observe who is correct and who is incorrect about carbon forcing. I am waiting to see Evans vindicated, most here seem to be screaming in outrage because his results don't support the official position of the 97% majority.

Which is not at all surprising to me.
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Wed 18 Nov 2015, 18:26:06

That wouldn't be a Petroleum Engineer, would it?

Nobody here is screaming or outraged. More like laughing and shaking their head.

How anyone could be so damn blinkered... but of course, we have a few like you on here. Maybe it's genetic.

Maybe we could have FOX stamped on your forehead, then we could tell in passing that anything you might have to say would bring no value to our lives, and we could avoid you.

You better hurry up and get offline, you don't want to miss 'Dancing with the Stars'. :lol:
"For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst and provide for it." - Patrick Henry

The level of injustice and wrong you endure is directly determined by how much you quietly submit to. Even to the point of extinction.
Cid_Yama
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Wed 18 Nov 2015, 18:35:19

Cid_Yama wrote:
KaiserJeep wrote:What I am is unaligned politically....

HA!! I almost fell out of my chair laughing. Very funny KJ, tell us another one.

Refusing to buy your nonsense is not like the Spanish inquisition. If we broke your bones on the rack, then burned you at the stake, then you can compare it to the Spanish Inquisition.

Right now, all people are doing is calling a moron a moron. And rightfully so.

Cid, I have never been a registered member of any political party. In my life I have voted in every election I could, and voted for Republicans, Democrats, Reformers, AIP, Greenies, etc. I vote the issues and consult the actual voting record of the pol in question, and therefore I can honestly say I am unaligned with any political party. That this has allowed me to skip all the primary elections is a convenience, those are just noise.

Nor does it matter to me if you agree with me or not. But if I sense that you are always on the "safe" side of the majority opinion, and have no position of your own, no philosophy or beliefs of your own, then I will poke you in that sore spot until you scream, for your own benefit.

It matters not to me what you believe - only that you believe something - and actual respect from me requires originality on your part as well as conviction.

Because of the Internet, this country today is more polarized than it has been since the US Civil War, when the issue of human slavery was the thing that divided North from South.

The great tragedy is that we have lost the concept of "the loyal opposition". I did not vote for Barack Obama, and I would not vote for Hillary Clinton nor (God forbid) Bernie Sanders. Nor have I seen a single Republican I even like, much less respect. Regretfully, I anticipate yet another election where I hold my nose and vote for the pol that reeks the least.

But if I ever encounter Barack or Hillary or the Donald or whomever wins the election, I will respectfully defer to the POTUS. Because it is the rule of the majority - at least, the Electoral College majority.

Can you say the same? I really doubt it, you seem to be an entirely conventional Democrat.

KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby dissident » Wed 18 Nov 2015, 18:45:52

Keith_McClary wrote:
Doug_T wrote:You guys need to catch up. Particularly all of the non-skeptical (i.e. gullible) folks. Enough of the personal attacks, ok?!!

The Notch Delay model was a quick-look; David is now progressing a much more robust and comprehensive approach: http://joannenova.com.au/tag/climate-research-2015/

Synopsis to date is here: http://jo.nova.s3.amazonaws.com/guest/d ... models.pdf
He's got some pretty elaborate mathematical climate modelling there.
And pretty pictures.

Well, golly gosh gee willkers, this moron noticed other processes at play besides CO2 and concluded they have nothing to do with CO2 and stand on their own. This clown needs to get educated in the subject before pretending to be an expert. The water vapour and clouds are part of the response to CO2 forcing and not orthogonal to it. Water content in the atmosphere and cloud condensation are tightly controlled by temperature and precipitation. H2O is not a dry gas like CO2. It is removed by condensation processes including cloud formation and rain or snow. Any additional heating of the atmosphere-ocean system increases the water content of the atmosphere exponentially with temperature as determined by the Clausius-Clapeyron relation.
If CO2 and other greenhouse gases were declining then the H2O in the atmosphere would decrease progressively. Without these trace gases and only with O2, N2 and Argon in the atmosphere (basically 100% of the current atmosphere) the surface global mean temperature would be -18 C or 33 C colder than today. The oceans would be frozen and the planet would be an ice hell.

No model that treats H2O vapour and condensate as independent processes of each other and of CO2 is worth the time of day. This thread should be locked since it is a total waste of time.
dissident
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Lore » Wed 18 Nov 2015, 18:51:11

But dissident as KJ says; This guy is not a climate scientist! So, I guess its Okay that he doesn't know anything about climate. He just makes models that work on climate. I believe he has also discovered, in this case, "pretzel logic",
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
... Theodore Roosevelt
Lore
Fission
Fission

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Wed 18 Nov 2015, 18:51:26

Cid_Yama wrote:That wouldn't be a Petroleum Engineer, would it?

Nobody here is screaming or outraged. More like laughing and shaking their head.

How anyone could be so damn blinkered... but of course, we have a few like you on here. Maybe it's genetic.

Maybe we could have FOX stamped on your forehead, then we could tell in passing that anything you might have to say would bring no value to our lives, and we could avoid you.

You better hurry up and get offline, you don't want to miss 'Dancing with the Stars'. :lol:

Nope. From 1978 until earlier this year, I designed state of the art transaction processing computers. The kind of unfashionably large computers that still sit quietly in air conditioned rooms and count money, or sell stocks/bonds/commodities, or perform cellphone billing, or airline reservations, or credit card transactions. Originally the company was called Tandem Computers Inc., which was swallowed up by Compaq, which was then swallowed up by HP.

My career has spanned the entire history of PCs and mobile devices, and those OLTP (OnLine Transaction Processing) machines enable the online world of today, even though they are infrastructure that the consumer seldom sees and probably knows nothing about, quietly counting money, entirely fault tolerant, never losing a transaction. My work products created or enabled the online world that far too many of you are completely immersed in.

KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby dohboi » Thu 19 Nov 2015, 00:43:31

So...you are admitting you don't know the least glimmering thing about anything that you express utter and perfect certainty about...

Ok

Thanks for that

We'll take that into consideration whenever you spout your bs in the future.

best wishes...
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Keith_McClary » Thu 19 Nov 2015, 03:28:58

KaiserJeep wrote:The very success of the OFT tool...
I wish you could explain this "success".

All he seems to have done is assume a simple linear response function and then calculate it (with some sort of approximation) by taking the quotient of the output (temperature) by the input (TSI) in the frequency domain (textbook stuff). Then he applies this approximate response function to the input, and, lo and behold, he gets (approximately) the temperature. SUCCESS !!!
Facebook knows you're a dog.
Keith_McClary
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Thu 19 Nov 2015, 04:53:11

I agree with Dissident. Just lock this thread. KJ is probably sitting in a boiler room getting .15 a post. Thus, the giant troll emoticons, intended to keep the posts coming.

Cid_Yama
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Thu 19 Nov 2015, 05:08:06

He is just as certain humanity should be flat out committed to building giant space donut habitats to go 'live' on by time we fuck this planet properly, besides being the inventor of the internet. Same time bragging all the way about his superior morality via purchasing 10's or hundreds of thousands in green tech. One of those guys you are just glad you aren't related to, other than in the most abstract sense.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby radon1 » Thu 19 Nov 2015, 08:12:58

KaiserJeep wrote:The stupidest argument of all against Evans' work: "All he did was fit his equations to the data, that's why the math works." Duh, that's what Fourier Analysis does. But literally centuries of experience using the FA methods in dozens of myriad applications also confirm that the method is valid, and the results can be relied upon - even when one is unsure of the factors being modelled.

Why doesn't he apply this method to markets analysis?

He should then be able to make fortunes trading markets based on his Fourier model.

I mean, both climate and markets are complex systems grounded on the same universal set of principles (basic laws of nature). From the point of view of the maths or computer, climate and markets are indiscernible - complex inputs in, through the works of the "universal set of principles", some funny function out.
radon1
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Thu 19 Nov 2015, 08:54:27

Keith_McClary wrote:
KaiserJeep wrote:The very success of the OFT tool...
I wish you could explain this "success".

All he seems to have done is assume a simple linear response function and then calculate it (with some sort of approximation) by taking the quotient of the output (temperature) by the input (TSI) in the frequency domain (textbook stuff). Then he applies this approximate response function to the input, and, lo and behold, he gets (approximately) the temperature. SUCCESS !!!

No, bother to even READ. Fourier Analysis is about decomposing a complex and seemingly chaotic "signal" into constituent parts - these parts are sines and cosines, which the Ancient Greeks called "harmonics", not linear functions.

I understand that your education did not harm most of you, and that Trigonometry remains a mystery to most folks. But if you cannot even remember entire branches of mathematics, then you quite simply have no basis to sit in judgement of anybody.

As I recall, Keith, a flaming libtard Democrat named Al Gore claimed to have invented the Internet. What my company designed and produced was a series of computers that became the ultimate trusted systems - that made it possible to do business over the net and to spend various electronic currencies online. Prior to that, what is now the online world was a mishmash network of Unix computers running an E-Mail system for academics (ARPANET and DARPANET, perhaps you have heard of it), and most "academics" were busy figuring out free ways to send pictures of naked women to one another as text attachments.

This very Forum, and all others, are only possible and only exist because people like me figured out ways to conduct business over trusted systems online. As a free E-Mail system for academics, there simply was not anything for the average man, it was an over-burdened E-Mail system with far too many users and not enough computing resources. Today, you have an information network that over half the world has access to, even though the only glimpse that the poorest global inhabitants ever get to have may only be an occasional cell phone image or video entertainment.

I do regret sometimes what we did, even though I do believe that in the end, the online resources will be our salvation. Because like Medicine or Mechanized Agriculture, the Online World is a double-edged sword, cutting both ways - it simultaneously enables an incredible sharing of information and an incredibly efficient economization of limited resources - and it is also a potent force making it possible for 7+ billion humans to exist on a globe that can sustainably support less than 1 Billion.

It was one hell of an exciting ride. Those of you with interest may read a book about it:
http://www.amazon.com/Tandem-Computers-Unplugged-Peoples-History-ebook/dp/B008H78PJ6

Not to mention it empowers idiots who know nothing about simple scientific principles and basic math to think that they have a valid judgement about important topics like global climate.

Oops on me.

KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby davep » Thu 19 Nov 2015, 09:52:52

This very Forum, and all others, are only possible and only exist because people like me figured out ways to conduct business over trusted systems online.

You were involved in Diffie-Hellman, or RSA? AES? Stream ciphers? It'd be interesting to know your cryptographic credentials.
What we think, we become.
davep
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Unread postby Lore » Thu 19 Nov 2015, 10:39:53

it this topic still going? Maybe its time to give it and KJ a rest.
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
... Theodore Roosevelt
Lore
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Tanada » Thu 19 Nov 2015, 10:50:32

Peak oil dot com is not an echo chamber. We do not silence people with different viewpoints unless they are incredibly over the top disruptive, and a couple threads is way below the threshold for that.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Lore » Thu 19 Nov 2015, 10:58:43

Asking for a rest not silence .
... Theodore Roosevelt
Lore
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Cog » Thu 19 Nov 2015, 11:09:35

Lore wrote:Asking for a rest not silence .

perhaps you should not read this thread or responding it if it disturbs you that much
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

PreviousNext

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate