Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Don't Sell Your Coat by Harold Ambler

A forum to either submit your own review of a book, video or audio interview, or to post reviews by others.

Re: Don't Sell Your Coat by Harold Ambler

Unread postby Rune » Sun 03 Nov 2013, 18:31:49

Look, man, I am a reader. I read books. Some of them are relevant to energy and environment and other science.

Run along and suck your thumb if you don't like it.

I'm going to run along and finish reading The Neglected Sun which was a bestseller in Germany for weeks, resounded in the energy/environment/political/academic groups there, has been a very hot topic. And interesting as hell.
It takes courage to watch a film so well-done as September 11 - The New Pearl Harbor. You will never be the same. It is a new release. Five hours. Watch it on YouTube for free.
Rune
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby dorlomin » Sun 03 Nov 2013, 18:58:09

Rune wrote:Look, man, I am a reader. I read books.
Thats nice.

Reading pop science books is not science.
dorlomin
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Lore » Sun 03 Nov 2013, 19:24:12

dorlomin wrote:
Thats nice.

"Look man, I read books! Not very scientifically sound books, mind you. Then again, I mostly read badly researched books that conform to my bias so I can post Gish Gallop here on Peak Oil. I love to troll for a response as opposed to engaging in any type of serious intellectual discussion based on the accepted science and the legitimate questions that remain. Furthermore, please don't accuse me of being inept in my statements based on my resources, because you know, I just read books and love to report to you on them."

There is really no reason to engage in comment here.
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
... Theodore Roosevelt
Lore
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Rune » Sun 03 Nov 2013, 23:53:50

Lore wrote:
dorlomin wrote:
Thats nice.

"Look man, I read books! Not very scientifically sound books, mind you. Then again, I mostly read badly researched books that conform to my bias so I can post Gish Gallop here on Peak Oil. I love to troll for a response as opposed to engaging in any type of serious intellectual discussion based on the accepted science and the legitimate questions that remain. Furthermore, please don't accuse me of being inept in my statements based on my resources, because you know, I just read books and love to report to you on them."

There really is no need to engage in comment here.

Sounds like you want to wallow in ignorance, that you are not in the least curious about a subject you post on frequently, that you are so threatened that you don't even want to peek at the contents of the book or comment on it rationally, that you are not in the least interested in the German reaction to the book (a country with powerful interests in renewables), and, frankly, it sounds like mama needs to change your diaper.

Preface and Chapter 1

The Neglected Sun is definitely not "pop science". Each chapter is fully referenced with published papers and books by reputable, involved climate scientists. Vahrenholt, himself, has worked for and been involved with the IPCC. He is a renewable energy expert and the chairman of Europe's fifth largest power company. His co-author is a Geoscientist with decades of experience.

Sorry. Couldn't include the charts witout going to way too much effort. But anyone can judge for themselves the quality of the information, the credentials of the authors and their very qualified backgrounds.

Ignorance gets you nowhere. What are you afraid of? You guys sound ridiculous.
It takes courage to watch a film so well-done as September 11 - The New Pearl Harbor. You will never be the same. It is a new release. Five hours. Watch it on YouTube for free.
Rune
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby dorlomin » Mon 04 Nov 2013, 06:11:01

Rune wrote:Sounds like you want to wallow in ignorance, that you are not in the least curious about a subject you post on frequently, that you are so threatened that you don't even want to peek at the contents of the book or comment on it rationally,
No my friend, if you are curious about the topic you learn the fundamentals from text books, then you get the latest information from published papers.

Pop science books are for the Erick von Danikiens of this world.

Here is another

ImageAlso claiming the world will cool because of the sun.

And what was the author selling in the 70s?

Why that old denier canard about....

A coming ice age. Irony of ironies.

The Neglected Sun is definitely not "pop science". Each chapter is fully referenced with published papers
It is. Stop being so silly as to try to sell it as anything else.

Try this.

Imagehttp://www.amazon.co.uk/Earths-Climate-William-F-Ruddiman/dp/0716737418

An actual text book on the topic that you will find used on courses on the topic. A book I own. So much for your childish attempts to smear us with
Sounds like you want to wallow in ignorance,
(I say childish because this kind of weak reverse psychology is the level you will get from 10 and 11 year olds. )
dorlomin
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Previous

Return to Book/Media Reviews