Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Divestment: Putting one's money where one's mouth is?

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

Divestment: Putting one's money where one's mouth is?

Unread postby GHung » Wed 20 Dec 2017, 20:53:58

For a number of reasons, about 25 years ago I decided the best way to not be a hypocrite about climate change and fossil fuels was to commit to reducing my use of things we burn for energy. It's not so easy in today's economy, but if everyone would make reducing their impacts part of their way of life, we could not only make progress environmentally, but would also avoid some of the economic and social stresses resulting from eventual depletion. Forming new habits is only a matter of just doing things differently until they become 'normal'.

New York City and State Plan to #DivestNY's $390 Billion Pensions From Fossil Fuels: 'an Undeniable Victory for the Global Divestment Movement'

NEW YORK, Dec. 19 -- The 350.org issued the following news release:

Today, after over five years of community campaigning for New York to divest from fossil fuels, City Comptroller Scott Stringer and Governor Andrew Cuomo each released separate proposals to freeze all current fossil fuel investments, divest New York's public pension funds fossil fuel companies, and reinvest in renewable energy. Together, New York's pension funds are among the largest in the world, representing a combined $390 billion.

This comes after a year of traumatic climate impacts -- from hurricanes devastating Puerto Rico, Houston, and beyond, to wildfires engulfing California. Now, with dangerous assaults from the Trump administration, New York's elected officials are stepping up.

Bill McKibben, 350.org co-founder, issued the following statement:

"The dam has broken: after years of great activism, New York has taken a massive step towards divesting from fossil fuels. Coming from the capital of world finance, this will resonate loud and clear all over the planet. It's a crucial sign of how fast the financial pendulum is swinging away from fossil fuels."

Betamia Coronel, 350.org's US Reinvestment Coordinator and Coordinator of the #DivestNY coalition, added:

"This victory is a direct result of people power and years-long pressure for New York to divest from fossil fuel companies causing climate change. Following Public Advocate Tish James' leadership, in an undeniable victory for the global divestment movement, New York's elected officials are finally recognizing the risk of pouring billions into the likes of ExxonMobil. We commend Comptroller Scott Stringer and Governor Andrew Cuomo for this powerful step in prioritizing the health and safety of New Yorkers. ....

http://www.4-traders.com/EXXON-MOBIL-CO ... -25698013/
Blessed are the Meek, for they shall inherit nothing but their Souls. - Anonymous Ghung Person
GHung
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Re: Divestment: Putting one's money where one's mouth is?

Unread postby asg70 » Wed 20 Dec 2017, 20:58:17

You hear that Plant? Maybe think twice about one more CO2 spewing flight to Greece?

BOLD PREDICTIONS
-Billions are on the verge of starvation as the lockdown continues. (yoshua, 5/20/20)

HALL OF SHAME:
-Short welched on a bet and should be shunned.
-Frequent-flyers should not cry crocodile-tears over climate-change.
asg70
Permanently Banned

Unread postby GHung » Wed 20 Dec 2017, 21:06:25

asg70 wrote:You hear that Plant? Maybe think twice about one more CO2 spewing flight to Greece?

Had to get another jab in, eh asg? Not really helpful.
Blessed are the Meek, for they shall inherit nothing but their Souls. - Anonymous Ghung Person
GHung
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby asg70 » Wed 20 Dec 2017, 21:12:29

GHung wrote:Had to get another jab in, eh asg? Not really helpful.

If you don't want to talk about powerdown and assuming personal responsibility, don't start the thread. I've got no problem with Plant flying to Greece by itself. My problem is him saying he's concerned about CO2 and pointing out this or that politician who enacted policies that don't measure up (except Trump, of course) while feeling no obligation to share any personal responsibility. Do as I say, not as I do, basically.

If you're gonna help kill the planet, just cop to it, otherwise I've just got no respect for you.

BOLD PREDICTIONS
-Billions are on the verge of starvation as the lockdown continues. (yoshua, 5/20/20)

HALL OF SHAME:
-Short welched on a bet and should be shunned.
-Frequent-flyers should not cry crocodile-tears over climate-change.
asg70
Permanently Banned

Return to Economics & Finance