Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Deep Geopolitics

For discussions of events and conditions not necessarily related to Peak Oil.

Re: Deep Geopolitics

Unread postby DomusAlbion » Thu 12 May 2011, 10:10:49

"Libya could be a super-power in the region"

Ha ha. :lol: This guy is a joke. RT is again looking foolish.
"Modern Agriculture is the use of land to convert petroleum into food."
-- Albert Bartlett

"It will be a dark time. But for those who survive, I suspect it will be rather exciting."
-- James Lovelock
DomusAlbion
Expert
Expert

Unread postby DomusAlbion » Thu 12 May 2011, 13:49:03

GASMON wrote:Typical answer from a Yank. Tell you who is a joke - OBAMA.

Agreed.

I'm not lambasting the entire interview but that one statement made me laugh. The country has a population of 6+ million people. "Super power"??? Their benevolent leader has to hire mercenaries to control his own population and is having trouble at that.

Sure NATO should stay out of the mess, let the dust settle and deal with who's left standing.
"Modern Agriculture is the use of land to convert petroleum into food."
-- Albert Bartlett

"It will be a dark time. But for those who survive, I suspect it will be rather exciting."
-- James Lovelock
DomusAlbion
Expert
Expert

Unread postby ColossalContrarian » Thu 12 May 2011, 14:03:48

Regardless of who's in control or the amount of turmoil going on, certain people feel it's very important they have a central bank and debt. Being a super power doesn't matter much to those people because they control the money and the petro dollar

Not sure why people think Libya is incapable of ever becoming a super-power in the region. I doubt many people ever expected Israel to exist or become a super power in the 20th Century.
ColossalContrarian
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Sixstrings » Thu 12 May 2011, 14:55:17

GASMON wrote:Have a listen - VERY frightening, even if only a bit is true.

Can't watch the vid right now, but yeah something's not right about Libya.

The thing that bugs me is that this invasion is going down AFTER Libya made right with the West. Gadaffi did what the US asked and gave up his nukes. Libya was rewarded with normalized relations, taken off the terror list, all that. And not that it could ever be made right, but I think Libya did pay restitution to the Pan Am victims.

So here's a situation where a bad actor like North Korea cleaned up its act and did everything we asked -- and right after that we go for regime change! WTF? What kind of example is this now for Iran and North Korea etc. etc. North Korea will never give up its nukes now they'll remember what happened to Libya.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby radon » Thu 12 May 2011, 19:56:43

Can't help but say that RT are mimicking the western-sponsored media in Russia. The gentleman knows everything about all the things in the world and talks with confidence and competence regarding any issue raised - just like the talking heads of the western media in Russia.

Otherwise interesting to watch, and not too bad professionally.
Last edited by radon on Fri 13 May 2011, 19:20:43, edited 1 time in total.
radon

Unread postby Sixstrings » Thu 12 May 2011, 20:40:26

radon wrote:Can't help but say that RT are mimicking the western-sponsored media in Russia. The gentleman knows everything about all the things in the world and talks with confidence and competence regarding any issue raised - just like the talking heads of the western media in Russia.

Well I watched it, he's just identified as a "political analyst" no other qualifications than that.. by that measure me and Mos and Plant are political analysts too.

Some interesting things:

1. He's British, yet a Birther (see Preston it's not just Alabama rednecks).. he thinks the OBL killing was faked to cover up the fake COBL.

2. He says Benazir Bhutto was killed because she revealed in an interview that OBL was already dead.

3. He says something about the BP oil spill being a conspiracy false flag, a "population reduction event." That's pretty funny, I didn't even get any oil on my beach much less die from the oil spill.

Basically, this guy is just spouting every infowars conspiracy theory except for FEMA camps and Nibru / planet x. The Libya stuff was interesting though. However I'll just argue a little devil's advocate.. as Freud said, sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. If you guys recall, Gadaffi was targeting the rebels with fighter jets. Some pilots began defecting, one landed in Malta I think. That's an internationally unacceptable situation.. neighbors start getting nervous. Now add the oil disruption threat plus the upside to regime change and voila we go to war.. that's all it is, just geopolitics and "New World Order," no big conspiracy.

(I still think this sets a bad precedent though, turning on Gadaffi right after he gave up his nukes)
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Shaved Monkey » Thu 12 May 2011, 21:39:56

http://www.mathaba.net/news/?x=626678

This is the Libyan Spin on things
Ready to turn Zombies into WWOOFers
Shaved Monkey
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby yeahbut » Thu 12 May 2011, 23:42:55

Sixstrings wrote:something's not right about Libya.

The thing that bugs me is that this invasion is going down AFTER Libya made right with the West. Gadaffi did what the US asked and gave up his nukes. Libya was rewarded with normalized relations, taken off the terror list, all that. And not that it could ever be made right, but I think Libya did pay restitution to the Pan Am victims.

So here's a situation where a bad actor like North Korea cleaned up its act and did everything we asked -- and right after that we go for regime change! WTF?

Agree 100%. The whole thing has seemed weird to me from the start. How did he go from being big bad bogeyman, to Gadaffi is just alright with me, to bogeyman again? I remember finding his 'rehabilitation' very strange at the time too. Biggest wtf moment? 24 hours after the no-fly zone was declared(which is, of course, in effect a declaration of war because every ground-based threat to aircraft enforcing said ban has to be taken out), seeing Hillary Clinton stating plain and clear that Gadaffi had to go. Er...since when? And why? How did we go from no-fly protection of civilians to Gadaffi must go? Not to mention the remarkable difference in response to civilian suppression/murder/disappearance/torture in Bahrain with help of KSA. ie no response at all.

I had to laugh at the reply I heard the NATO spokeswoman give on BBC world the other day in response to their bombing of the house in a residential neighbourhood killing Gadaffi's son and grandchildren. She carefully explained that they were entirely sticking to the letter of the law of their mission- part of which is to take out 'centres of command and control'.This house conformed to that definition because they suspected Gadaffi was there. Now that's a pretty darn handy set of guidelines to be working with- essentially, wherever the ol' Colonel is, well, that's a centre of command and control! Carte blanche to assassinate a leader you have decided, for whatever murky reason, has to go.
yeahbut
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Geopolitical risk may be the factor to watch in 2018 for oil

Unread postby AdamB » Thu 04 Jan 2018, 18:03:55

A U.S. president eager to advance an agenda of energy dominance, and a market with no room for risk, means 2018 may be one for the geopolitical books. The New Year started with Iran in the grips of one of its worst bouts of political unrest since the Green Revolution in 2009 brought the first glimpses of a challenge to the cleric-backed regime. On Thursday, hundreds of protesters gathered in Mashhad, the country's second-largest city by population, to chant slogans against rising prices in the Islamic Republic. By the weekend, those protests had turned violent and deadly. As the unrest escalated, Eshaq Jahangiri, one of the country's vice presidents, said Thursday he felt the economy was "on a good trend" and inflation, while high, was under control. According to the International Monetary Fund, growth in gross domestic product for Iran should be

Geopolitical risk may be the factor to watch in 2018 for oil
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Return to Geopolitics & Global Economics