Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Davos, Switzerland: Debt and Denial

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

Re: Davos, Switzerland: Debt and Denial

Unread postby GHung » Mon 29 Jan 2018, 13:11:01

evilgenius wrote:I sometimes wonder if the sowing of doubt on threads like this isn't the result of an entire generation (mine) not being taught how to thrive in the world. Yes, there are predatory lenders. But why are there so many of them? And why is it that the society watches what they do, as in pay day lending, and refuses to regulate the practices? Most things in concrete existence are where they are because of some form of market interaction. Some markets are more complicated than others. The series of them that compose society, where more than money is compared and exchanged, result in the kinds of parents that we have. There isn't a set standard for good parenting, just like there isn't for good managing, though that, at least, does have a school of thought surrounding it. We don't consider it important enough to address our greatest failures. We don't even want to talk about it. We would much rather wallow in our fears. I can understand that.

Sowing doubt? What doubt would that be? Doubt that income inequality has grown at rather absurd rates? Doubt that societies are being saddled with exponentially rising debts while a tiny percentage of the population reaps the benefits? Doubt that we are falling behind on maintaining infrastructure while taxes get cut, especially for the very wealthy who arguably have benefited the most from a legacy of infrastructure investments?

You say "we" a lot, though there is no "we" when it comes to an equitable economic structure. Those who can purchase the loudest megaphones talk about things that will promote more of the same, and those who have the greatest capacity to create change generally like things the way they are.

Q: How would you describe the economy?

A: It is a system that allows a select few to borrow immense fortunes. The rest of us; you, me, everyone else, repay the debts.

Q: That’s it?

A: That’s it.

You say: "I sometimes wonder if the sowing of doubt on threads like this isn't the result of an entire generation (mine) not being taught how to thrive in the world."

There are other ways to thrive if one seeks them out and refuses to drink the coolaid.
Blessed are the Meek, for they shall inherit nothing but their Souls. - Anonymous Ghung Person
GHung
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby onlooker » Mon 29 Jan 2018, 13:15:39

The Elites and Governments and Corporations are becoming ever more distanced from the cares and concerns of average people. That is why everywhere you look protests and dissatisfaction is targeted against them. One can only speculate how the masses will react when the World Economy falls drastically. But one can envision great unheaval and turmoil ensuing. This can provide opportunity for more responsible leadership or lead to fascist totalitarian type control.
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby evilgenius » Wed 31 Jan 2018, 14:02:21

I say we a lot because even though I am introverted I recognize there is a we. Sometimes that we is the we of statistics, where 2/3's of us drive the direction of what goes on. Sometimes it is the we of a different kind of collective, through which we exercise our lives given the constraints the past has placed upon us. Those constraints can be interlaced between us in strange ways, even intergenerationally. It's important to recognize that rich people are still people. One of the major mechanisms used by charlatans is to dehumanize those whom we oppose. That's why certain conspiracy theorists claim that powerful people are reptiles in disguise, or why Alex Jones throws around accusations of child abuse, or worse, constantly. You've got to ask yourself why those accusations are made. The others could be a group that is against the majority, insidiously for the way they write their own laws which they believe will ensure their position. They might also be an easy target to vilify because it's the easiest thing to get people to group up against those who have more than they do. It's harder to understand that we would be just like them if we had the chance. If you still don't understand, I'll use the example of Jesus. In the world of Roman rule he told people to turn the other cheek toward their oppressors. He knew that throwing off Roman rule wasn't going to change the people's nature. The Romans weren't really the enemy. The Romans just had what the people wanted. Getting it wasn't going to change them. It's essentially, "Meet the new boss. He's the same as the old boss." While Jesus had this clear other example He wanted people to follow, however, I don't feel like I can speak about that. I didn't come down out of heaven, so to speak. I'd much rather ask us to think about what that might be, and encourage us to find out what it might be for us through trial and error (if we are going to keep making mistakes why not learn form them) alongside reason.
evilgenius
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Previous

Return to Economics & Finance