Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Conventional Crude Oil Production

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

Re: Alberta Oil Industry Getting Some Help

Unread postby Bman4k1 » Tue 17 Mar 2009, 02:15:55

Its a bad thing. Because once the economy recovers, the Conservatives will not reverse the "incentives" and Albertans (me in those) will not get our fair cut of the money. We are getting pillaged and no one seems to care. Listen I respect both left-wing and right-wing thought. But what ticks me off when right/left-wing people say one thing and then do another. If they were true to their beliefs they would let the market fix the Albertan production.

It will not affect companies in the Oil Sands, I could almost make a guarantee. Tytpical Alberta govt will bend over backwards for them, and then when prices rebound, the public will be the one suffering.
Bman4k1
Peat
Peat

Unread postby bencole » Tue 17 Mar 2009, 02:25:54

timmatoil wrote:
Alberta was producing a ton of oil prior to its price collapse. Do you think this incentive plan is a good thing or bad thing? And how would you expect it to affect companies with interest in the tar sands?

My prediction is that large foreign oil companies will be pulling out of the tar sands as fast as they showed up if the oil price stays low for an extended period. Canadian companies would likely receive a subsidy from the government to keep operating. If the price of oil collapses to the point that the tar sands is forced to shut down all production, then I would say the resource should be nationalized by the federal gov. for the sake of the evironment, and the establishment of a Canadian energy security policy.
bencole
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby bodigami » Sat 02 May 2009, 00:30:33

bencole wrote:
timmatoil wrote:
Alberta was producing a ton of oil prior to its price collapse. Do you think this incentive plan is a good thing or bad thing? And how would you expect it to affect companies with interest in the tar sands?

My prediction is that large foreign oil companies will be pulling out of the tar sands as fast as they showed up if the oil price stays low for an extended period. Canadian companies would likely receive a subsidy from the government to keep operating. If the price of oil collapses to the point that the tar sands is forced to shut down all production, then I would say the resource should be nationalized by the federal gov. for the sake of the evironment, and the establishment of a Canadian energy security policy.

why not natioanlize it now? my main complaint against tar sands is because of environmental reasons.
bodigami
Permanently Banned

Unread postby bencole » Sat 02 May 2009, 02:11:41

bodigami wrote:
why not natioanlize it now? my main complaint against tar sands is because of environmental reasons.

You are absolutely right!, there is no good reason it should not be nationalized right now.
The problem is the big oil lobby in Alberta and their boy Harper being in power.
bencole
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby drew » Sat 02 May 2009, 15:00:20

Don't talk about a new NEP. Shhhhhhhh, the Albertans who post here will completely flip their lids. SHHHHHH, I remember when the NEP came in......

They'll completely flip out.....especially DeMolay, and Mr Bill (if he was still here)

Mad Dog may flip out too.....

Drew
drew
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby bencole » Sun 03 May 2009, 11:26:34

drew wrote:Shhhhhhhh, the Albertans who post here will completely flip their lids.

They'll completely flip out.....especially DeMolay, and Mr Bill (if he was still here)

Drew

I say let em, who cares what Albertans think. The future of the environment is too important of an issue to leave in the hands of a corrupt backwoods operation like the Alberta provincial government.
bencole
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Maddog78 » Wed 06 May 2009, 04:22:30

Yes, I would flip out but I'm not going to post about it here.
Waste of time.
I'm not an Albertan any more and I work in OK now, so what's the point? :)

drew wrote:Don't talk about a new NEP. Shhhhhhhh, the Albertans who post here will completely flip their lids. SHHHHHH, I remember when the NEP came in......

Drew
Maddog78
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

The Onion: Alberta Quietly Joining OPEC

Unread postby deMolay » Mon 25 May 2009, 06:59:21

The ramifications of this could be huge. http://www.financialpost.com/story.html?id=1626748
"We Are All Travellers, From The Sweet Grass To The Packing House, From Birth To Death, We Wander Between The Two Eternities". An Old Cowboy.
deMolay
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Re: Alberta Quietly Joining OPEC

Unread postby TheDude » Mon 25 May 2009, 07:37:57

Lol I love the Onion.
Cogito, ergo non satis bibivi
And let me tell you something: I dig your work.
TheDude
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Maddog78 » Mon 25 May 2009, 09:44:44

Farmer Ed the Red really is something.
My Calgary colleagues already hate this guy. This will blow their minds.
Maddog78
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby CaptainCanuck » Mon 25 May 2009, 16:56:31

His other nickname is "Steady Eddie" because he never does anything exciting. He is a very boring politician. This OPEC linkage will be boring.
CaptainCanuck
Wood
Wood

Unread postby deMolay » Mon 25 May 2009, 20:27:20

As an Albertan I am astounded, this is out of nowhere. But I think what it means, is the Blue Eyed Shieks of Alberta are looking at investment dollars from OPEC states to replace declining US dollars. The other interesting tidbit recently is CN Rail and Alberta are looking at shipping Alberta crude by rail to the west coast and China. They claim they can move 2M barrels aday right away. Something is afoot.
"We Are All Travellers, From The Sweet Grass To The Packing House, From Birth To Death, We Wander Between The Two Eternities". An Old Cowboy.
deMolay
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby deMolay » Mon 25 May 2009, 20:30:29

Here is the link to the CN rail story. Let's say Cantrell craters. No Mexican oil for the USA. And then Alberta goes with OPEC and CN Rails plan another 2M barrels aday. What effect would the loss of 4-6M barrels of oil per day do to the USA? http://www.financialpost.com/story.html?id=1479094
deMolay
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Maddog78 » Mon 25 May 2009, 21:02:56

Interesting plan.
If the Dems want to put some kind of environmental limit or whatever on oil sands production coming into the US this will be a way for it to go elsewhere.
Maddog78
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby deMolay » Tue 26 May 2009, 07:04:06

It could make for very interesting times for the Dems. They might have to accelerate the burning and use of coal to replace the Dirty Oil. The win for Alberta will be no longer being tied to the US via pipelines. Alberta Dirty Oil will be able to ship to Eastern Canada or ports on the Westcoast, probably Prince Rupert. Prince Rupert is one of the finest Deep Water Ports in the world and it is 2 shipping days closer to Asia than any port in North America. It is already linked by rail to Alberta coal fields. Buy real estate in Prince Rupert it is going to go up in value. I had a PM advising that Obama would send the Marines into Calgary to put an end to Alberta's plans. I can't see this happening at all. After all Obama and the Dems and US enviromentalists have said repeatedly that they don't want Alberta's Dirty Oil. It will accelerate Peak Oil changes in the US tho.
deMolay
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Maddog78 » Tue 26 May 2009, 12:20:32

deMolay wrote: I had a PM advising that Obama would send the Marines into Calgary to put an end to Alberta's plans.

8O

I don't think it would come to that.
I thought he didn't want Alberta's Dirty Oil?
Buy American and all that.
Besides the Dems have a New Energy Plan.
Tax the oil and natural gas companies to reduce development of US supplies. Don't open up ANWR or any new offshore areas.
Shut down dirty coal mines. Build windmills and solar panels.
Somehow this is all supposed to stop the importation of foreign oil within 10 years? :cry:
I guess they know what they are doing? :mrgreen:
Maddog78
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Bman4k1 » Tue 26 May 2009, 13:48:20

I would rather have east-west pipelines than north-south ones. This is a good long term thing for Canada.
Bman4k1
Peat
Peat

Unread postby deMolay » Tue 26 May 2009, 20:42:00

Eastern Canada didn't want east west pipelines for oil. They said they could get crude cheaper from Venezuela on the East coast and Refine it themselves. What Alberta should do is build that monster refinery they keep talking about and send Gasoline and Diesel east, West and South.
deMolay
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Maddog78 » Thu 25 Jun 2009, 17:43:00

Well once again Ed the Red has decided to redo his royalty plan today.
That's the 5th time since it was first implemented.
What a fool. I lol'ed when this plan first came in and predicted they would regret it.
Turns out I was right.

69 rigs working in Alberta right now. Over 500 sitting.
Gov't budget in deficit.
Way to go, Ed.
Maddog78
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

PreviousNext

Return to Peak Oil Discussion