Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Condensate...condensed.

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

Oil deposits being the result of orgaic matter decomposition

Unread postby franc » Fri 03 Dec 2004, 18:15:23

we tap first gas then crude oil, but in between gas and crude oil there generaly exists an intermediate product we call condensates, which are mostly made of C5.
After that the deposit has its peculiarities,it can made of a lot of gas and a little oil or the reverse depending on the degree of decomposition of the organic matter trapped.
Such process depending on time (to be counted in milleniums),pressure and temperature.
Like in a pressure cooker!
franc

NGL vs. Condensates

Unread postby andrisro » Wed 26 Sep 2007, 21:28:43

To summarise recent data from the OilDrum:
Crude + NGL peaked at 82.1 mmbpd
Crude + Condensates peaked at 74.3 mmbpd
NGL production peaked at 8.2 mmbpd

I am having difficulty understanding the arithmetic!

82.1 - 8.2 = 73.9 (this would represent Crude ONLY)

But Crude + Condensates = 74.3

Therefore Condensates is only 0.4mmbpd?????

I believe condensates is actually approx 4mmbpd?

Crude + Condy = 74.3
NGL = 8.2
Other liq.= 3.5
----------------------------
All liq total: ~86

Two questions:
1. Why is above arithmetic out?
2. NGL liquids (C2,C3,C4,up to perhaps C7,9) include condensates.......so aren't we double counting somewhere???

cheers...Andy
andrisro
Wood
Wood

Re: NGL vs. Condensates

Unread postby roadcage » Wed 26 Sep 2007, 22:51:05

Yes there is a lot of overlap. Most condensates get re-fractionated somewhere between the wellhead and the refinery with the lighter part ending up in propane and butane streams and the heaver parts back blended into crude. The producers do this to raise the API (gravity) of the crude improving its value. And the fact that it helps TPTB continue to claim lots of light sweet crude doesn't hurt.
roadcage
Wood
Wood

Re: NGL vs. Condensates

Unread postby aahala » Thu 27 Sep 2007, 11:48:52

I don't know what the exact definition of those categories are,
and I don't know if this is the reason. But just on the face of
it, one shouldn't assume peak for each element occurred at
the same time and this idea could explain some of the apparent
inconsistency.
aahala
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

condensates ?

Unread postby sparky » Tue 25 May 2010, 10:59:29

I was looking at the figures and kept getting the same old ...crude plus condensates .
This is a bit weird since the largest amount of condensates come from Gas fields ,not usually crude oil
field , for long a corrosive and untransportable embarrassment , it was flared , more often that not or used locally to produce power
Now it is increasingly used as a feedstock ,
but it's pretty hard to get a global number separate from crude

Form the Oilt racer
http://www.oiltracers.com/services/expl ... sates.aspx

the criteria employed by The Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) in defining a condensate.
Effective January 1, 1989, OPEC defined condensate as any hydrocarbon liquid with an API of 50° or higher,
a gas:liquid ratio of 5,000:1 or higher, or a C7+ fraction of 3.5 mole % or less.
The OPEC criteria also allowed certain other liquids that fell outside these limits to also be considered condensates
(depending on a variety of factors), but a lower limit of 45 oAPI was set, as was a limit of not more than 8% C7+ fraction (Kingston, 1990).

The concentration of condensate dissolved in a gas may vary from <10 to > 400 barrels condensate/ MMCFG, (Kingston et al., 1990)

which would indicate a medium value of ~200 barrel MMCFG as a median value
since the gas exploitation is going great bang , the amount of this " not crude " must be quite large
anyone has better numbers ?
sparky
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

US Condensate Exports Begin

Unread postby Pops » Wed 25 Jun 2014, 08:03:39

The Obama administration cleared the way for the first exports of unrefined American oil in nearly four decades, allowing energy companies to start chipping away at the longtime ban on selling U.S. oil abroad.

In separate rulings that haven't been announced, the Commerce Department gave Pioneer Natural Resources Co. and Enterprise Products Partners LP permission to ship a type of ultralight oil known as condensate to foreign buyers. The buyers could turn the oil into gasoline, jet fuel and diesel.

The shipments could begin as soon as August and are likely to be small, people familiar with the matter said. It isn't clear how much oil the two companies are allowed to export under the rulings, which were issued since the start of this year. The Commerce Department's Bureau of Industry and Security approved the moves using a process known as a private ruling.

More
Oil From U.S. Fracking Is More Volatile Than Expected
Pennsylvania Weighs New Tax on Natural-Gas Drilling
For now, the rulings apply narrowly to the two companies, which said they sought permission to export processed condensate from south Texas' Eagle Ford Shale formation. The government's approval is likely to encourage similar requests from other companies, and the Commerce Department is working on industrywide guidelines that could make it even easier for companies to sell U.S. oil abroad.

In a statement Tuesday night, the Commerce Department said there has been "no change in policy on crude oil exports."

http://online.wsj.com/news/article_emai ... NDEyNDQyWj
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Re: US Condensate Exports Begin

Unread postby Plantagenet » Wed 25 Jun 2014, 08:24:38

Bad timing for the US to do this in the middle of the Iraq crisis. Brent is already at $114 bbl and may go much higher if ISIS continues to attack Iraqs oil infrastructure.

Starting up US oil exports won't do anything to keep the price of Brent oil down, and perversely may drive US domestic oil prices up to parity with the higher Brent oil price :idea:
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Subjectivist » Wed 25 Jun 2014, 09:03:44

Saw the hosts on CNBC this morning talking about how great this is for the oil producers in America. If you look at it in more than the cash flow perspective I wouldn't be surprised if the WTI quickly normalizes with the world price.

Great if you sell oil not o great if you buy it or products made from it.
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Armageddon » Wed 25 Jun 2014, 09:20:09

The sleeping plebes think this is because we are awash in oil.
Armageddon
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby BobInget » Wed 25 Jun 2014, 09:52:59

Keep in mind, the crude export ban was Not lifted.
Two US companies were given permission to export 'condensate' which as we know is a few steps closer to being natural gas then crude.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural-gas_condensate

I know, I know this is like the camels nose... However, because we have too much condensate because of our shale boomlet it makes sense to off it to places that need it.

WHEN Argentina's shale begins coming on line later this year and 2015 world prices for condensates will moderate.
BobInget
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby AirlinePilot » Wed 25 Jun 2014, 10:03:45

Im tired of the media here in the states refusing to acknowledge oil is bought and sold on the GLOBAL market. Nobody can see past the stupid nose on their face. We are awash in Bakken oil..too bad its going to flow offshore to the highest bidder via all that new infrastructure hooked up to the Houston ship channel.

No matter how hard you try to educate folks they refuse to listen to facts. Denial is a harsh mistress.
AirlinePilot

Unread postby Synapsid » Wed 25 Jun 2014, 10:31:57

Haven't we been shipping Eagle Ford condensate to Canada anyway?
Synapsid
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Wed 25 Jun 2014, 12:00:04

Syn - Exactly. Just another case of the US MSM hyping a non-existing situation. First, the permission to export oil given to those two companies is not new. For years the US gov't has given hundreds of exceptions to the "oil export ban". Most has gone to Canada. But also to other countries: in 2008 we were exporting about 1.6 million bopd. Main recipients of our oil exports: Mexico, Canada, Chile, Singapore and Brazil. From
http://www.pbs.org/newshour/making-sens ... mestic-oi/

And let's talk specifically about condensate from the Eagle Ford Shale. Yes...condensate is light. But it is light OIL. It can be cracked into motor fuels. And the US has been exporting about 20 million bbls of EFS production per year for some time. It's been going to eastern Canadian refineries because they can create a better profit margin than Gulf Coast refineries. And how is this being done without getting permission? Easy peazy: they do a very light crack with a cheaply built "upgrader" that converts it from oil to refined product...at least on paper. And since there's no restriction on product exports it gets shipped half way around the country to Canada. And upgraded construction is booming in S Texas as is the oil export terminal in Corpus Christi. So far two pipelines that used to carry imported oil to San Antonio refineries have been reversed to carry EFS production to CC.

Of course the story ignores the truly important aspect of the dynamic: the US is already effectively exporting as much as 1 billion bbls of oil per year in the form of refined products. The good news: most of those products are cracked from imported oil. So on balance the US isn't as large an oil exporter as those numbers suggest if one thinks in terms of the net.

But the entire "should we export oil" debate is one giant red herring IMHO created probably from a combination of hidden agendas and simple ignorance IMHO.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Pops » Wed 25 Jun 2014, 12:28:57

Actually all those points are in the original, which is why I linked to it.

Nearly 20 refining projects with capacity of more than 900,000 barrels a day have been proposed and are in various stages of development, according to Credit Suisse Group. This fall, Kinder Morgan Inc. plans to start a $360 million condensate splitter near the Houston Ship Channel that is supported by long-term contracts with BP PLC.

I'll imagine those projects are now worthless because as the article concludes:
Earlier this year, the chief executive of Continental Resources Inc., the biggest driller in North Dakota, said he expected a wholesale lifting of the export ban so all types of U.S. crude could be sold internationally.
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Wed 25 Jun 2014, 12:41:01

"WHEN Argentina's shale begins coming on line later this year and 2015". I might back off some of the expectation for them to affect the global condensate market anytime soon (if ever) for a number of reasons. First, the upcoming drilling phase with be exploratory and thus limited. There has been very little testing of any of their shale formations. But what has been done so far indicates primarily dry NG production and little or no condensate. More like the Marcellus then the EFS. And even if those shales appear commercial after a number of years of evolution drilling there are only about 100 drilling rigs in the country. And they are currently being kept busy drilling conventional reservoirs. To approach any level of drilling and frac'ng comparable to what's going on in the US will take many years and hundreds of $billion in infrastructure expansion. And that will have to be invested by foreign companies. Given Argentina's recent screwing over of the Spanish those companies might not rush forward with big investments too quickly. Just my guess but I don't think we'll have a good idea about the future of unconventional production in Argentina for at least 5 to 10 years.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Wed 25 Jun 2014, 13:07:02

Pops - "...the chief executive of Continental Resources". I assume he knows that last year N Dakota exported to Canada $720 million in crude oil, $200 million in fuel oil and $88 million in NG. In addition N Dakota has been helping our Northern cousins produce some of their own oil: Since 2000, the Great Plains Synfuel Plant in N.D. has been capturing, compressing, and sending CO2 via a 205-mile pipeline to Weyburn, Saskatchewan where it is used for enhanced oil recovery in the Weyburn and Midale oil fields.

So again there has been no oil export ban in the US. There have been restrictions and as well as hundreds of exceptions granted. But no absolute ban. And bans that are easily circumvented by a little cracking magic. And the exceptions included at one time shipping oil from federal leases on the N Slope to Japan. And LNG those leases is still being exported to Asia today despite the fact that federal law "bans" the export of any oil/NG produced from gov't leases.

There can be a real "ban" and there can be a "ban light". LOL.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Pops » Wed 25 Jun 2014, 13:40:53

The US exports about 3% of production currently, almost all to Canada.
Condensate is 96% of recent US production increase.
The Refineries on the Gulf have been rebuilt to refine heavy crude not the light oil from fracking.

So essentially this will allow export of 100% of all US production gained through fracking.

I pointed out the dramatic rise in exports of propane that led directly to last winter's shortages.

This will be exactly the same.
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby steam_cannon » Wed 25 Jun 2014, 14:05:54

Pops wrote:The US exports about 3% of production currently, almost all to Canada.
Condensate is 96% of recent US production increase.
The Refineries on the Gulf have been rebuilt to refine heavy crude not the light oil from fracking.

So essentially this will allow export of 100% of all US production gained through fracking.

I pointed out the dramatic rise in exports of propane that led directly to last winter's shortages.

This will be exactly the same.
Sounds about right.

Also considering the 96% downgrade news for the Monterey shale oil formation, it sounds to me like this export boom will go bust soon and leave late investors high and dry.
"The multiplication force of technology on cognitive differences is massive." -Jordan Peterson
steam_cannon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Pops » Wed 25 Jun 2014, 14:41:45

And if I may quote myself from just over 3 years ago (hidden in another mighty merged thread):
Luckily the US still has a lot of FFs and that's a good thing because I wouldn't be surprised to see a "political" peak in available exports before a geologic peak. But as the amount of oil on the export market declines and the price rises relative to the wage of the average Prole, I'd not be surprised to see the US start exporting more crude and finished product...

non-opec-members-discussion-t2782-120.html?hilit=export%20product#p1076407
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Wed 25 Jun 2014, 16:25:52

Pops - "I pointed out the dramatic rise in exports of propane that led directly to last winter's shortages." And higher prices. From your lips to Dog's ear. Nothing personal...just business. LOL.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Next

Return to Peak Oil Discussion